Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nysteve

handles on 'pillow top' doors

NYSteve
13 years ago

We keep getting drawn to doors that have a kind of "pillow" or curved front on the frame... kind of like this one:

The custom cabinet maker had a beautiful example of this style, but warned us that it is sometimes difficult to find hardware that sits well on the curved door face. The concern makes sense to me... but if true, would anyone ever buy these doors?

Can anyone who has this type of door share their experiences?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• plllog
    13 years ago

It's a very pretty door. Hardware that doesn't have an escutcheon or built in flange will work best. If you want to get fancy you can countersink the ends so that they're coming out of the frame rather than sitting on top.

Alternatively, you can go several centuries ago for inspiration, or the '60's revival version, and put a really large knob right in the middle of the center panel.

This isn't why I wouldn't choose this for the kitchen though. In other parts of my house, I give cupboard doors a quick flick of a dusting regularly, and really wipe them down once a year. In the kitchen, stuff gets spilled, dripped, fingerprinted, etc., and I'm always wiping down the cabinets. This very complicated series of grooves and bumps looks very hard to dust, let alone to clean actual gunk off of.

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

We have doors very similar to the one you posted. We had no problem installing the hardware on the doors. They sit flush on the cabinet door and look fine, even when looking at the door from the side, they are still flush on the door.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

All you need to do is create a small countersink for the knob or handle mounting boss.

A Forstner bit will make a flat bottomed recess and leave a small mark in the center for the through hole.

• Fori
    13 years ago

It's one reason I didn't go with the poofy doors I'd originally wanted. They didn't work with the fatty base knobs I wanted. But there are many many options that work so unless you're working backwards and picking knobs first, don't worry TOO much. Hold up some of the sample knobs to the door and you'll see most will fit--there's a flat spot inside that curve.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Does anyone remember the proper screen name of vtfarmkitchen? Something like that? She just revealed a really terrific kitchen, and IIRC, used cabinets like these. Her hardware was, as others described, free of backers or plates or estutcheons--they attached to the cabs at a fairly thin point. Looked great.

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brickeyee -- interestingly, I suggested the countersink, but the cabinet maker kind of cringed. I guess he didn't like the idea of messing up his beautifully finished cabinets like that :) We'll have to look at the hardware to see what might work -- and I think he'll let us install one on a sample. It's really only an issue on the doors, not the drawer heads...
    Thanks!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

The cabinet doors in our last house were very similar. We loved them. We had simple round knobs that were installed on the center of the rounded outer stile a bit above the corner on the uppers and a bit below the corner on the lowers (to avoid the miter). The cabinet maker had no problem installing the knobs and they looked fine.

• Melyn 123
    5 years ago

Don't buy... its a nightmare buying hardware! It never sits flat on curved surface! Save yourself the trouble!