Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpg2004

need help cleaning black gas cooktop

mpg2004
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

We just got a new black Jenn Air gas cooktop (replacing a 17 year old model) and, after cooking a couple of (not really messy) meals, I'm having a hard time getting the drip pans really clean. I've removed the grates and am trying to clean the black porcelain drip pans. The manual suggested using soap and water or a mild glass cleaner, I've tried both and the surface is still really streaky and not all the splatters are coming off. I don't want to try too aggressive a cleaner and damage the surface, but would like to get it cleaner than it is. Does anyone have any advice for what sorts of cleaners work well on this cooktop?

thanks!

Michelle

Comments (10)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I often use BKF (Bar Keeper's Friend) and some dish soap on a blue scrub sponge on our Wolf range's black burner pans. For stubborn/baked-on stuff, I spray with Dawn Power Dissolver, let sit a while, and then scrub. I can remove my pans from the range, so I usually do heavy-duty scrubbing in the sink, rinse with hot water, and then dry with a dish towel (ours are the lint-free Flemish Wonder Towels).

For minor clean-ups, I can scrub in place right on top of the range, and wipe any soap residue with a rinsed out sponge or wet paper towel. If needed, I follow up with some alcohol-water spray and microfiber cloth or dry paper towel.

It took a while to get the hang of cleaning ours without streaks and smears, but once I got it down, it takes very little time to get them clean. There are some really baked in spots, and scuffs, but for the most part they look pretty good.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

I found it really tough to keep my old black gas cooktop clean. The grates and burner covers I would scrub in the sink, but after several years of that they looked like they'd been scrubbed too much. The pans on mine couldn't be removed and were hard to get spotless. My only advice would be to get spills up fast! Don't let them sit and get cooked on. That will make it all the harder to keep your cooktop clean.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I had the same problem with the black enamel pan in my GE Monogram rangetop. I finally tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for Kitchens--it works great & removes the splatters fabulously easy. After cleaning, I wipe it down with a clean dry microfiber cloth for a streak free finish.

Hope this helps!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Can't you use ceramic cooktop cleaner--the white cream?

• Tamimisu
    12 years ago

Supposedly, soaking in a sealed bag of ammonia overnight will make it easy to clean the grates... not sure if it would be OK to use on the drip trays, but I'd imagine so? G'luck! :-)

http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/2011/10/i-saw-it-i-tried-it-cleaning-the-grates-on-your-gas-stove/

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Cooktops

• kathec
    12 years ago

I had one of these and the best cleaner/method I found:

Scrape off hard food and splatters with a single blade razor. You can just buy the razors, or check out the paint aisle at the big box stores (HD, Lowes, Target, Walmart) for a paint scraper. These usually come with a handle with a retractable blade or a blade holder with a cover.

Use Weiman Heavy Duty Cook Top cleaner. (Available at Target, Walmart, etc)

Spread a thin layer of cleaner on cooktop. Allow to dry. It should turn a weird greige color. Rub/buff off cleaner with a soft cloth. NO STREAKS!!

I would use cloth baby diapers, flat fold style - the kind that is not sewn. Gerber makes them and they are usually available in the baby aisle at Target. Check near the bottom of the shelf.

• mpg2004
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone! I wasn't sure if the porcelain coating on the drip pans was as hard/durable as the glass electric cooktop that I had in our previous home (used razor blades & cooktop cleaner on that one, no problem, but I really don't want to scratch the new one up!) The drip pan area is not removable, just the grates and burner caps are.

thanks,
    Michelle

• katsmah
    12 years ago

I've had pretty good success cleaning my black enamel cooktop clean by first using a sponge with warm soapy water, wiping that off, then spraying it with vinegar and wiping that off with a paper towel. The vinegar cuts the suds and gets it steak free.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I ditto the magic eraser for kitchens...it has dish detergent in it so it gets the grease off, and all the scummy stuff...but it doesn't scratch. I also rub them down with the microfiber cloth when I am done. They look unused! :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I use Goo Gone. Love that stuff.
    Renee