Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybuggy

Window above sink

15 years ago

Hi,

I'm in the middle of planning a kitchen remodel. We are thinking of moving the sink to the back of the kitchen where we have a large window overlooking the yard. My question is, how will this look? The window is considerably larger than the sink? Will it look off centre?

I'd appreciate any pictures of large windows with sinks beneath them.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• 15 years ago

There are so many beautiful pics--I'm sure you will get lots of responses on this. I MUST have my sink in front of the window, and we are going to a lot of trouble to do so. I think the window is always larger than the sink--don't worry about that! I know some kitchens just can't be arranged this way, but if you can, definitely go for it! Check out lissa's, mamadadapaige's and alliern's kitchens in the FKB--all have wonderful big windows above the sink....

• 15 years ago

Our window is wider than our sink and it looks just fine:

• 15 years ago

The wider the better! Mine (with casing) is exactly 36" and I wish it were wider (of course I have 50" from cabinet to cabinet so I'm seeing a lot of paint on the sides and it drives me crazy!).

• 15 years ago

Check out the other "window over sink" thread for more pictures.

Since you're changing your kitchen layout, if you'd like help with your layout, post it here; many people here are very good at providing help with layouts (both functionally and aesthetically). But, read the "Read Me" thread first (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0215535329506.html)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: pics of window over sink

• 15 years ago

Our window is also wider than our sink and I love it. I can't imagine having anything smaller now that I've lived with a 6' wide window for 20 years!

• 15 years ago

I am in the middle of my remodel and my window will be bigger than my sink. The middle section will be flanked by two casement windows (which will open). My sink will be centered on the middle section. I had to make some compromises in cabinet sizes and placement to get the sink centered on the window - it would have driven me nuts for the sink not to be centered on the window.

IMHO I don't think the size of the window is as much of an issue as the placement of the sink to the window.

• PRO
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I guess my concern was that the window was very large in relation to the wall size. My kitchen is 11x17 and the kitchen designer suggested moving the sink to the window wall which is the the 11' wall. The wall is 11' wide and the window is 5' wide, also the window is not centre in the wall, it's only 2' from one end. I was originally planning on replacing that window with a sliding door, but I like the flow of the room by moving the sink there.

• 15 years ago

We put in a bay window and absolutely love it. I had it custom made, as usually the middle section of a bay window is larger than the sides. But living in S Calif we eat and entertain a lot outside---so I wanted to be sure we could pass plates, good sized pans, bowls etc thru the sides of the bay window that open. I found to do this that all 3 sections of the bay window would have to be the same size. I also designed the screen so they are half screens with a stop a few inches above the closed position so it is easy to pass items thru the window. I also had a granite platform installed outside the bay window so you have a place to place the pots and pans. This actually gives the effect that the bay window is resting on a chunk of granite.
    Wife loved the Bay window soooooo much , we put one in the family room too!!

Gary