Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Manmade Quartz Alternative to Soapstone or Honed AB

Posted by erinf8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 23:51

I would love Soapstone or Honed Absolute Black countertops, but after researching them I feel they may be a bit to delicate for my family's day to day use. Has anyone found a decent looking quartz alternative to either of these stones? I long for the matte softish black finish. It seems much of the dark quartz I see is very shiny. I'd be interested to hear from my fellow Garden Web followers, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manmade Quartz Alternative to Soapstone or Honed AB

honed jet mist

o

Jet mist is also granite, not manmade.
If you don't mind the speckled look search for Silestone or Zodiac Quartz products in black. IMO they look too manufactured and not at all like natural stone.
There has been much discussion on kitchen forum about this subject- you can also try searching on GW

o

There are black granites that are bulletproof. I had honed black pearl granite in my previous kitchen and you couldn't harm it no matter what you did to it. And it had this beautiful velvety look.

o

Quartz with matte/honed finishes does not seem to be a good idea - the manufacturers make you sign a disclaimer before they will sell it to you. As others have said, go with granite.

o

I have also done the search for an alternative to soapstone. None of the man-made countertops have remotely the same look. Not bad, just very different. And, as was previously mentioned, there are maintenance issues with the honed finishes on quartz countertops. I think Raven may actually been withdrawn.

Jet Mist varies widely in appearance. Some slabs look like authentic soapstone, while others have a powdered sugar appearance. Again, not bad, just different. There is also an interesting stone available through a supplier in the Midwest called Aqua Grantique. Maybe you should Google that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here