Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Samsung FD fridge owners:

aliris19
13 years ago

Can you please tell me about or post a picture of the side of your SS FD fridge? Is it "finished"? would it look shocking if it were visible? Do you think it will be OK with no side-panel or is there something unseemly about it please?

Thanks a ton...

Comments (21)

• melaska
    13 years ago

aliris,

Here's mine - a Samsung RFG298AARS, 28.5 cubic feet. It has a new type of inside insulation making it have more inside even though it has the same outside dimensions of the smaller Samsung (everything is the same except the insulation).

Here it is filled:

Here is the freezer part...it's very easy to navigate, the upper drawer slides out. There's also another ice maker in the freezer. Which I love since I use a lot.

I don't really have a good picture of the sides. The color is the same as the front, just not stainless. It has a kind of matte finish...plus, it's magnetic so I put pics in those magnetic clear frames & have a collection on mine. I don't know if I'll do the same in the new house but it looks fine.

Here is the model I wish I had gotten - it came out after I bought this one (of course!) lol

You'll notice the wide 'deli' drawer at the bottom of the fridge part is now a separate door...I'd really like that! But, I still love what I have.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melaska -- thanks a ton! That's just perfect. I actually really like the magnetism of the sides, so now I feel really good about not boxing the thing in. I think we have the same model. I opted not to buy the separate deli drawer because it was more expensive, the fridges seemed to have slightly worse reliability ratings with that drawer, I think, and it seemed to me I'd rather use the space taken up by the drawer surrounds for food on the interior. It seemed like a waste of space. I'm hoping that might make you feel better about your fridge?!

I hope that honking ice blot doesn't irk me too much. My purchase of it was a dh-concession. He's had some need to keep up with his sister, I think, in the purchase of this thing. Seems to me it's just a mechanical snafu waiting to happen (and does with great frequency judging from the reports). But... it is what it is and we have the honker now.

Again, thanks for the report. I really feel better now.

• melaska
    13 years ago

I'm glad you feel better, 'cause you made me feel better about not having the latest model! :)

Yep, I do believe we have the same model. I've had great success with both ice machines so hopefully...it will stay that way!

I can't believe how easy it is to get into my fridge now...I hated stooping for the old one. I have back problems anyway so that sure didn't help. We're even having a raised dishwasher in our new kitchen, plus a wall oven because of my back.

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

Here's a side shot of mine

And the front:

It's a Samsung French Door Refrigerator Model # RF266AEPN/XAA and we absolutely love it!

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Craftlady: thank you *very much*!

I love the molding on your cabinets -- simple but still with stuff, not too big or high an angle. Nice! What wood species are the cabinets?

I don't think the side of the fridge looks so blecchy -- and the thing is, unless you actually box the thing *in* you still see the sides anyway....

Now I'm back to thinking it's OK not to have a side panel (that's why I wanted this picture; I'm waffling about to side panel or not to side panel in another thread).

Thanks!

• OCJeff
    13 years ago

We opted to have the fridge cabinet enlarged to 30" deep to help conceal the fridge, and give it a more seamless look. I think it will look better than the fridge sticking out on it's own with the sides visible (plus this gives more usable storage above the fridge, and less distance to reach it).

Only time will tell since we are still weeks away from installation.

• hoffmalr_gw
    13 years ago

My mom has the same fridge as craftlady07, I believe. She likes it very much - it's smaller than her old full french door fridge, but she lives alone these days so that's okay.

She doesn't have a side panel. She didn't know they existed til her contractor mentioned it during installation, and while I think she would have added one if she had known, it looks fine without it. I'll post a picture later if I can get one from her.

• elba1
    13 years ago

I just got back from looking at the Samsung (without door dispensers) and like the clean steel feature. Glad to hear folks are happy with their Samsung (had previously been looking at Whirlpool Gold consumer reports best buy model). My dishwasher will be very close to the fridge, so I looked at the Samsung clean steel version DMT400RHS
    (had previously looked at the Bosch Integra) - anyone have the Samsung dishwasher as well and like it? Thanks.

• TonySak
    13 years ago

i have the 26 cf version of this with water ice on the outside. I wish i had the 29cuft! The 26cf is about 2 cuft too small. Its just small enought to annoy you. trying to get good bottle hight and a over all functional layout.

• calimama
    13 years ago

Here is mine -

It is the beastly 29cf Samsung RFG298. I also waffled on putting cabinets around it, but it is already a tight squeeze, and I wasn't wanting too formal of a kitchen. There's no hiding that monster, so I figured why try! I like the magnetic sides and it matches my backsplash much better than you can tell in the picture above; it is actually quite gray, but the picture is reading blue.

I love it, and I love the extra icemaker the best!!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

no problem aliris19, and thank you :) my cabinets are maple stained cinnamon. They show up a little more orange in the pictures then they are in real life, but it's a close representation.

I didn't want to go crazy with the refrigerator cabient because #1, my kitchen isn't formal (thanks calimama for the word, I wasn't sure how I'd describe it), #2, I don't trust modern applainces and I'm sure we'll be changing it out at some point in the not too distant future and might want to consider a counter depth model, #3 I just didn't give it a lot of thought other then not wanting to overpay for a deeper cabinet over the fridge that I'm really not going to use anyway. I mean I'll store stuff up there but I'm not worried about a couple extra inches in a cabinet I can't reach the back of anyway. it wasn't worth it to us.

The first view I posted is the view from the living room (and front door), but it really doesn't bother us at all. When people actually walk through the doorway into the kitchen they'll turn towards the left and see the rest of the kitchen so the fridge won't really stand out to them anwyay. And if it does, oh well, I don't really care.

• hoffmalr_gw
    13 years ago

Elba1, my mom has a Samsung dishwasher as well. I believe it's the previous generation of the model you listed though - the buttons are on the front. It's beautiful and sleek, and it's practically silent. Mom said the only complaint she heard about hers was that people working at the counter lean into the buttons and turn it on accidentally. She did it for the first time the other day! It looks like they moved the buttons to the top of the door to fix that.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I like the message-stickie aspect of magnetic fridge sides. I'm just slow to accept change I think. I think of fridge's essential nature as being magnetic and holding info. I like that about them. I think of them as the nerve center of the family; information and snacks. What more is there to life?

And I agree, "formal" is the essential difference, not necessarily done-done-ness.

Thanks for the pictures; that's incredibly helpful. As the sides are grey it seems to me that that's just potentially another color and texture to account for then when adding in countertop and backsplash to the mix. We started with our floors, are choosing cabinet fronts and then countertop, though that's sort of an anchor too (just not finalized) and I'll keep that grey in mind, probably. I think I would rather the space devoted to the box to be inside a drawer, all things considered. So I'll choose (at least that's how I'm swaying this particular second) no-box....

• elba1
    13 years ago

Thanks hoffmalr. I just found out this afternoon that the "clean steel" is really a painted on finish, and not full stainless steel - has anyone else heard that?

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of mine, but not a head-on side view. One other thing to consider. Fridges are tilted back a little bit to help ensure that the doors close. So, when I look at my fridge from the side it looks a little crooked relative to the finished wood side. Also, the grocery list pad you see on my fridge has this foam on the back that 'sticks' to the fridge without actually having adhesive. It leaves no mark and they work great.

{{!gwi}}

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi pudgybaby (I was going to call you "pudgy" but thought maybe that wasn't right...) - what a lovely kitchen! That's a very heavy slab you have "holding" the fridge in. Are those custom-built cabinets or stock? I guess maybe they're inset? Would you be willing to tell me little about your cabinets? Thanks

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Why thank you, aliris. The slab is not that thick all the way back to the wall, just on the front few inches. My cabinet guy put 1.5 inch fillers on the sides of the pantry and fridge and wanted them all to match. Although the fridge is a tight fit, there is more circulation room on the sides of the fridge (but it has to exit out the top) behind the thick, front part of the panel, if that makes sense.

My cabs are custom, full overlay frameless, not inset. We are very happy with them. Natural cherry.

• hoffmalr_gw
    13 years ago

Elba1, my mom's dishwasher and fridge and directly side by side, and you can see a slight difference in color. Maybe it's the "clean steel"? It does seem to show fewer fingerprints. I don't think you'd be able to tell if they weren't next to each other.

Here's my mom's setup. Sorry, it's just a cell phone picture! There was low natural light so everything has a blue cast, and you can see the BM Spanish Red walls reflecting in the fridge.

• elba1
    13 years ago

Thanks hoffmalr, it looks fine to me in the picture!

• acolleen
    13 years ago

We are looking into getting a new Samsung fridge too. When I realized it was going to sick out at least 10 inches from the cabinet I think we are going with a counter depth model. I think the exposed side doesnt look good.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, hoffmalr. That's really, really helpful! It's just like what I have, I think, with the same setup. Well, I have drawers not a DW, but the cabinetry looks the same.

And to me, I think it's OK. ButI will show dh your picture and solicit his advice. He's actually way more fussy about all of this stuff than I. You would understand why that's so funny were you here IRL... :)