Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xc60

Problems with Cutting Glass Tile

xc60
13 years ago

Today the tile installer started to install the glass tile backsplash, he had problems when cutting the tiles. When he cut the tiles the paper with the design would tear and leave ugly jagged edges. He suggested laying the tile vertically to reduce cuts, but this tile is usually layer horizontally so my husband and I said no.

Then the owner of the tile store suggested cutting the tile with the paper side up, but he also was not sure how to cut the tile. When you cut the glass tile paper up, the paper does not tear but the glass fronts chip.

They tried a sample cut and it looked much better, so they said that's how they would try to cut them. I said to call me and let me know how it was working, when I later talked to the tiler he said it was working well and you really could not see anything.

Tonight I went to see the how it looks and the edges were terrible in areas. I called my builder, said we were not happy and it needed to redone properly and do not grout.

My husband says glass tiles are used all the time so the "professional" tiler should know how to do it. When asked if he was using a glass cutting blade he said he had several glass blades and they were no better. But did not try a glass blade on our tile.

When I got home I read online that you can score the glass tiles and snap them, or place two tiles together when cutting. A scrap tile on the bottom so the blade will go nicely through the top tile and chip the scrap piece instead. Then another site said to cut halfway though the top, and flip over and cut through the back.

Anyone who has glass tile know how they or their tiler cut the glass without tearing the back or chipping the tiles? Help please!!!

I am attaching photos and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz