Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Cutting Glass Tile

Posted by xc60 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 23:42

Today the tile installer started to install the glass tile backsplash, he had problems when cutting the tiles. When he cut the tiles the paper with the design would tear and leave ugly jagged edges. He suggested laying the tile vertically to reduce cuts, but this tile is usually layer horizontally so my husband and I said no.

Then the owner of the tile store suggested cutting the tile with the paper side up, but he also was not sure how to cut the tile. When you cut the glass tile paper up, the paper does not tear but the glass fronts chip.

They tried a sample cut and it looked much better, so they said that's how they would try to cut them. I said to call me and let me know how it was working, when I later talked to the tiler he said it was working well and you really could not see anything.

Tonight I went to see the how it looks and the edges were terrible in areas. I called my builder, said we were not happy and it needed to redone properly and do not grout.

My husband says glass tiles are used all the time so the "professional" tiler should know how to do it. When asked if he was using a glass cutting blade he said he had several glass blades and they were no better. But did not try a glass blade on our tile.

When I got home I read online that you can score the glass tiles and snap them, or place two tiles together when cutting. A scrap tile on the bottom so the blade will go nicely through the top tile and chip the scrap piece instead. Then another site said to cut halfway though the top, and flip over and cut through the back.

Anyone who has glass tile know how they or their tiler cut the glass without tearing the back or chipping the tiles? Help please!!!

I am attaching photos and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Cutting Glass Tile

Chat with the guys in the John Bridge tile forums. They are great. They are PROS and have been very helpful with most of us DIY's.

o

Thank you so so much, I started a thread there. :)

o

Also, try posting this in the bathrooms forum. There are several very helpful tile experts over there that would likely be able to answer your question.

o

Use a BRAND NEW continuous diamond rim glass cutting blade!!! Clean the edges with a white stone... then the cut edges should be hidden away from view. In a corner or nearest to a cabinet corner. If a blade has previously been used for cutting stone or ceramic it cannot and should not be used for glass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here