Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vetchu

best downdraft vent for a 36 inch frigidaire gas cooktop

vetchu
15 years ago

hi there!

i am new to this website and have really found a lot of useful information each time i checked in =0)

i wanted to see if you have any suggestions on brands of downdraft vents that are good to be used with a 36 inch gas cooktop on an island........

thanks!

Comments (13)

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

None.

For any decent cooking a downdraft is only minimally effective.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

What Pharaoh said...especially with a gas cooktop!!!

• vetchu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mmmm......okay.......so downdraft vents are just horrible?? would it make a difference if it were being used with an induction cooktop?

• julie94062
    15 years ago

Agreed...a downdraft isn't the most effective choice. But some of us have no other option. For example, I definitely need to have a cooktop (gas) in my island. There's really no other place to put it. It's not a new build...it's a remodel and it will be in the same place (after exploring all the options). I would love to hear from those who have one. Some downdrafts must more effective than others.

You're not alone, vetchu :-) I'm looking for the same info.

• alice462
    15 years ago

Yes, some of us have no other options b/c of the design of out kitchen. I had an old Jenn-Air electric rrange w/ a downdraft in my "original" kitchen and was perfectly happy with it. I did lots and lots of research, attempted to change design to avoid downdraft and just could not seem to work around it and accomodate other priorities in the room.

So.....we have a 6 burner Dacor gas (propane) cooktop. (36"). Installed a 36" Thermador downdraft. Chose this model b/c it rose higher than others and wanted one that would be taller than my tallest pot. The sales guy convinced me that a 600 cfm remote blower would be more than enough. I had plenty of conversations with him and the HVAC guys, talking about what I wanted, what I had learned, etc. The 600 cfm doesn't really seem like enough, we cook in our kitchen daily, often several times a day. I don't remember smells lingering like they do now, steam can hang around, and heaven forbid that we burn something, that fills the room for sure.

Anyway, the bottom line is that if I had to go back and do it all again -- ideally, the design would not call for a downdraft. Can't undo that one - so, I might consider a different cooktop -- electric or induction. Finally, I would make sure that I have a blower powerful enough to handle what I am doing -- I think we should have gotten a stronger blower, and we still might. But for the time being I am learning to live with this and adjust our cooking accordingly.

The Thermador has done its job to the best of its ability. I do like the additional height of 14" as opposed to most others which I believe are 8-10". I also wish that we had gone with the 1000 cfm inline blower rather than the 600.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador downdraft

• vetchu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks julie and alice.....

i will start looking at the taller and higher cfm downdraft vents.......

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

vetchu
    when doing the research just know the CFM's are spec'd by BEST possible installation - many times the actual installation diminishes the CFMS - that is by # feet the ductwork has to go, number of bends, & sizing of ductwork which can all diminish even the highest of CFM's

Good luck

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I have had a Jenn Air range with center downdraft and it was noisy and didn't work well. Then we put in a Thermador telescope and it was a much better! It took care of all steam, grease and odors from the back 2 burners and I learned to tilt a lid on the front ones to aim and it did a good job. That said if no option for a good overhead vent the telescope works pretty good.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

Electrolux makes a telescoping downdraft with a 1600 CFM blower. We bought one but have not installed it yet.

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Hi Vetchu, I'm still researching and don't have an answer, but I ran across this from last year that had some great info.

The search continues :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Downdraft cfm's, do you regret not having enough?

• lindy1991
    14 years ago

I have DACOR downdraft vent with Thermador cooktop and Dacor vent has been touble from the start. Last night it came on by itself and now it is dead. Definitely stay awat from Dacor. We are sick and tired of endless repairs to this, but the concept is a good one and stylistically preferable to overhead exhaust.

• tifster
    14 years ago

My first time here - We have just purchased an induction cooktop. Has anyone had any experience with a downdraft with one of these? We, too, are remodeling and the cooktop and vent will be in an island. Do you always have to buy a separate blower? Do none of them come with one? Thanks!
    Tifster

• tifster
    14 years ago

My first time here - We have just purchased an induction cooktop. Has anyone had any experience with a downdraft with one of these? We, too, are remodeling and the cooktop and vent will be in an island. Do you always have to buy a separate blower? Do none of them come with one? Thanks!
    Tifster