Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooktop cutout vs. Bridge surround? (quartzite) Help please!

Posted by lalalisa123 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 23:37

Hello,
I'm about to sign a contract with a fabricator and have decided on White Maucabas quartzite. Have any of you had experience with a fabricator offering to do a bridge around the cooktop using 2 separate small pieces on each side of the cooktop with small seams on each side? They say they've had great success with them but I'm a little hesitant as I've only heard of cooktop cutouts before. I'm wondering if there would be a strength difference between the 2? (also, I will have a 30" induction cooktop)

(they will do either option in this case but the fabricator feels that the seams will all match up better if we do a "bridge")

I've attached a picture of my slab. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooktop cutout vs. Bridge surround? (quartzite) Help please!

Never heard of doing a bridge. Bumping to get more responses...

o

I am not sure what you mean by the bridge surround but my fabricator did not do just a hole cut into the slab for my cooktop. He was concerned that the small strip of granite that would be in the back and the front of cooktop would crack if doing it as a single cutout in the large piece of granite. So I have the small strip at the front and back as separate pieces,that were seamed on the right and left sides at both the front and back. The seams are almost invisible. Here are close-ups of each side of the front strip. The back is seamed the same way. Maybe this is what your fabricator is talking about.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Yes, this is it, Badgergal! Thank you! It's good to hear that others have done this with success. It sounds like this might be the best route to get the seams right with the slabs that I've picked. Yours look great!
Thanks again!
Lisa

o

Have done it when needed, have one on diisplay. Not the preferred method BUT not really a problem either. Can solve layout seam issues AND saves money.

o

What is preferred method then?

o

Seamless is always preferred. Not saying it is better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here