Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (26)

• dntutley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If the pictures seem out of order they are not. At first my wife and I just wanted new flooring and replaced the green carpet. After a few months we realized we wanted to completely remodel. Here are pics of what used to be my den, and will now be the laundry room.

46 feet of open space. Yes, it's long but damn it is going to be nice. I plan on whitewashing the fireplace.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Yeah, that carpet had to go! And then what do you know, one thing lead to another. Now a whole new kitchen is in the works. Good luck. It will be worth all the hassle.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

ooohhh carpet in the kitchen (practically astroturf)... who would have thought that was a good idea?

As badgergirl says...one thing leads to another. it starts with one itch you scratch and pretty soon you've lost an "arm & a leg"

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

Thanks for the explanation - I thought "There was hardwood under that green carpet? But it looked like laminate to me.

I'm anxious to see this finished product! Did you find a new home for your desk cabinets (or the kitchen cabs, for that matter)?

We had a similar "one thing leads to another" in our home, but not so drastic. I asked DH "What color should we paint the bathroom [after removing wallpaper]?" His answer: "First of all that countertop HAS to go!" We ended up with new vanity, sink/top, stool, light fixture - oh, and new paint. I have to admit, it looks terrific!

• dntutley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Slowly getting there

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Why did you take the ceiling down?

• dntutley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We demo'd so much and we had to rip out the light above the old island, plus the bulkhead that I decided I wanted a new ceiling to have it all tie in together. Not much more money and since the scope of this is not small, it is well wort the additional cost.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Ah, the demo is so satisfying and goes so quickly....glad you remembered to take some good before pictures. Take lots as you progress, especially of the open studs and electrical. Go around and capture every wall and ceiling. I can't tell you how many times I've asked DH whether we could do something (move this wall over 3 inches, omit that wall, omit outlets, move outlets, move cans, omit cans, tie in lights on one circuit to another...all the rework) and each time he goes back to the pictures and is able to see what is in place).

Good luck!

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Wow, you are bold and industrious! It will be exciting to see this take shape, and I agree that there is much promise in all that empty space.

My favorite part though is the kitty lounging on the island in the first photo. :)

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here come some more.....Microwave drawer

What was the den, now larger laundry

We recessed the fridge where there was built in cabinetry

Cambria "New Quay" quartz countertops

Slowly coming together...

Now a feel for the open-ness... fireplace is now being redone

Not done yet..... Still need upper and under cabinet lighting installed. Crown molding on top of cabinets installed plus range hood.

This has been a journey, but one well worth it. I will post all before and afters when complete. Sorry for the blurriness, have yet to upload HQ photos.

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll upload the HQ pics when done. We also installed Delta's touch faucet. Thought it was a gimmick but turned out to be amazing and very useful.

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closer look at backsplash.

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And last week we began demo of fireplace

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New half bath tile before grout.

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the new 1/2 bath vanity, mirror and lighting

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Congratulations! All those many detailed decisions.Your new space is looking so warm and inviting. I like so many of your choices. The cabinet stain and countertop are wonderful with the backsplash. Can't wait to see the fireplace and more.

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

What a transformation! It's beautiful!

What's the backsplash?

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's made by DalTile, it's called Meditation. Greys, browns, clears, frosted tiles, plus stone in it as well as stainless steel in it.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful remodel. It's looking great. The house we bought had indoor/outdoor carpet in the kitchen when the renters previous to us moved in. Who thinks that's a great idea? Previous renters removed it and lived with the beat up vinyl that was underneath (they bought a house close by and we are friends so we know history).

I thought you were going to whitewash the fireplace. Since you are removing bricks, what is your plan now?? Please show more pics of finished areas--and I'd love to see what the fireplace wall looks like after brick removal! Thanks for all the updates!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Wow, one thing leads to another is right! A huge change and oh so beautiful. Your choices are luxurious and warm. Love the sparkle in the backsplash and the gleam of the dark wood cabinets. Can't wait to see it all finished! What happened to just whitewashing the brick?

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again for th feedback. I will show pictures of the fireplace when it's all done. We are soooooo close. Wife just ordered the new carpet for the family area, and we estimate approx 3 weeks before entire house is back to normal. Living out of boxes has been fun, but not something I want to again anytime soon.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Wowwwweeeee! Great work! We totally get the "one thing leads to another" idea. Our kitchen remodel turned into a whole kitchen/family room/fireplace remodel. So worth having all the mess and chaos at once! Everything looks so lovely so far--keep the pictures coming.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Love the pictures of the before and during! Your backsplash is so fabulous...love the sparkle! Can't wait to see pictures of all of your projects when they are completed!

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crown molding is on, as well as all the cabinet lighting.

• dntutley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz