Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Remodeling/Decorating

Posted by lynne412 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 23:34

I am planning a remodeling/decorating project in my kitchen. I do not have an eye for seeing what something looks like before it is finished. I would like some feedback on some of my ideas. I have U-shaped kitchen with an eat in area with a patio door (faces south) and one window (faces east). The kitchen area has one window that faces south.
Cabinets are a medium oak color. The appliances are white, walls are white with one wall in eat in area that is red, not bright red. Wall space above cabinets is also red.
I am thinking of getting uba tuba granite counter tops with a black silgranite sink. I want to add a backsplash but not sure what color. I would appreciate any thoughts. Also wondering if the colors I have chosen so far will make kitchen too dark.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Remodeling/Decorating

You'll get better replies if you post a photo.

o

I am not sure about the oak, red and black color combo. Are you loving the red?

A while back, there was a great thread on designing around oak cabinets. Have you looked at that thread for some ideas? I'll link to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: DAT9 - Keeping Oak

o

Dilly

My cabinets are not the golden oak that was pictured in the link. They are a darker oak .

o

Here is a pic of kitchen right now

o

Another pic. Would appreciate any help as what to do.

o

I came across this blog a while ago and think they did an amazing job.

Before:

After:

Here is a link that might be useful: update to oak kitchen

o

My gut is that adding dark colors to the oak and white appliance mix wouldn't work without a change to the appliance color and/or oak.

You might find the following thread interesting. (Sorry, I don't know how to do the fancy hyperlink style...)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0519580318802.html

o

You have such a bright cheerful space. If it were my space I would not use a black sink & uba tuba--I think it would be way too dark. What is your approx. counter budget ? $50/sq ft-$75/sq ft $100/sq ft?
I would look around at lighter materials(maybe even formica or wood?). You can contact a Craft-Art dealer for an estimate. You don't have too much square footage so while Craft-Art is not inexpensive it may not be too bad.
How about getting the uppers painted white(or gel stained) or a light color ? It could look like a nice cottagey room. Do a search for "Garden Web Two toned kitchens" in your search engine there are a few really helpful threads. Also check out Linelle's beautiful kitchen. I'll try to find it or look on "finished kitchens". After you select your favorite materials(counter,sink) post your choices here then we can all pick a paint and backsplash! :)
On the red wall I would remove everything including the curtain(maybe a colorful patterned fabric shade--after you decide on kitchen elements)and add some reclaimed wood shelves or a plate rack with few simple items you use daily(small pitcher, crock of silverware etc.). These should color coordinate with the final wall color or use ivory/white.
**disclaimer, I'm partial to two toned since that's what I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: two tone

o

Here's the link beasty posted

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I can't find Linelle's kitchen(all white) but she did a great job--she really transformed the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of painted oak

o

Another idea...I love this cheerful kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: hlove's kitchen

o

Thanks, eatrealfood (love your name, btw)!

I really like the updated oak kitchen nsoccermom posted above. The crown moulding and backsplash really change the look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here