Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drbeanie2000_gw

''Plasticky'' Silgranit?

drbeanie2000
12 years ago

I've read a couple of posts about the Silgranit finish looking a little cheap in the stores, and then that wears off after a while when you get it home.

Can anyone elaborate?

My first feeling when I saw it was "ugh" but then I read so much about Silgranit that I really want to like it. When I saw it today, I said "great!" This time it was my husband who was clearly saying "ugh" internally. He was lusting after super-shiny scratch-free stainless sinks. Maybe I have always had cheap stainless sinks but I don't care for them.

Experiences?

TIA,

beanie

Comments (28)

• deannad
    12 years ago

Before I ordered mine I went to see a friends sink. Hers was 3 years old and looked brand new. She has the black (which I also ordered) but a little of the paint on her drain baskets had chipped off so I ordered stainless baskets.

The guy who put mine in did recommend that I get the protective grates to go in the bottom. He said that he had replaced a couple that had cracked by someone dropping something heavy in.

• meggswife
    12 years ago

We had a black silgranite sink for seven years and it looked wonderful - just like the day we bought it. It never seemed plasticky to me at all. I miss it a lot! It was a breeze to clean and it never looked dirty, (in fact, that was a con!). We put a farm sink in this kitchen, (I wish there were silgranite farm sinks!), and I don't like it nearly as well.

• gregincal
    12 years ago

Personally I think the black looks ok, but I don't care for the lighter colored ones. Those are the ones that look plasticky to me.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I have biscuit and I don't think it looks plasticky. I love my sink and it's durability. You couldn't pay me to go back to stainless.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

It's a novel, man-made, material so it may feel or look different at first. But that doesn't mean it's inferior. I also prefer the look of the black over the lighter colors. Go see one and put your paws on it. There are house brand generics at the big box stores which will give you an idea, but I think the "real" Silgranit feels (and looks) better. It doesn't have the same "plastic-y" quality as cheap plastic, swirly faux marble, vanities/wash basins. It's a whole 'nuther thing from that.

People who have them, generally adore them.

HTH,
    L.

• deannad
    12 years ago

Before I ordered mine I went to see a friends sink. Hers was 3 years old and looked brand new. She has the black (which I also ordered) but a little of the paint on her drain baskets had chipped off so I ordered stainless baskets.

The guy who put mine in did recommend that I get the protective grates to go in the bottom. He said that he had replaced a couple that had cracked by someone dropping something heavy in.

• catlover5
    12 years ago

I was so excited for the Silgranite sink as I have a very cheap rusting SS POS sink now that PO put in but when I showed DH, who BTW wants SS, he said very loudly in the store with tons of people around THAT'S PLASTIC . . . I'm like no that's 80% granite mixed with 20% acrylic. THAT'S PLASTIC - I don't like that.

Well, he washes the dishes, not I, so we are debating the black silgranite v. SS sink and the dark granite he wants v. the light granite I want. Oh, the compromises of it all. He uses brillo all the time which he leaves in the sink till it rusts and if I buy a new SS sink and that happens, I am not going to be very happy. This is why I want the Silgranite.

We'll see.

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

Catlover, your husband will fall in love with the Silgranit, he just needs to USE it. It always looks clean. My SS always looked filthy, somehow.

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

I have a stainless sink, and I SO wish I"d gotten Silgranit instead. The above mention of "stainless and scratch free"' does not exist! My friend has the Silgranit Super Single in anthracite (black), and I have such sink envy, I can't tell you. Her sink seems never to look dirty, even after we made meatballs and sauce with all the grease, tomatoes and mess that creates. We threw wine and coffee in there after dinner, and it showed nothing. Meanwhile my stainless sink gets filmy, full of scratches, and only looks clean for the minute or two after scrubbing it.

I helped my friend shop for this sink, and IMHO the other brands granite composite sinks don"t look as nice as Blanco Silgranit, so I would make sure not to buy a different brand. I also agree that the lighter colors are not as appealing. Love the black.

The only reason I bought a stainless sink for my kitchen Reno is because it was "what I'd always had". I wish I had even considered Silgranit at the time.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I'll repeat what I just said in another thread.

My kitchen is a hard working one. I garden and can extensively, and have just the one sink. As a matter of fact right now I've got pots filled with potting medium draining in there as I am starting my peppers and chiles. You will not need to baby this sink. I pour huge canning pots full of super hot water into the sink all summer and fall and have not had a problem.

About once a week I soak the grid and clean the sink, and it looks spectacular afterward. Even before I clean it, it doesn't look dirty. Often after I clean it I will dry it with a towel because it feels so nice -- smooth and silky and not plasticky at all. I love to touch it. It is quiet, never feels as cold as stainless, and hold the heat more than stainless does. In short, pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

• jacks3953
    12 years ago

Does anyone like their white Silgranit sink? That's what I was considering over a Kohler cast iron. I've had cast iron and it wore like iron, but once the shiny finish was gone, it seemed to take on everything it came in contact with. Ugh. Silgranit seems like a good solution, but everyone has dark and my kitchen is a dark area anyway, so thought I'd lighten it with a white sink. Thoughts?

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

The white is a little speckle-y, which doesn't appeal to me. The black is just so much more appealing. I have walked back and forth at a display with all the colors (not bisquit which wasn't avail when I was looking.) The grey and white were probablt the same texture, but somehow their coloring made it seem like they wern't. The black looked and felt smooth-smooth-smooth. Hard to explain. Go and see for yourself. They used to send out free little sample bricks, if you called and asked.

• cindyof4kids
    12 years ago

I have a Blanco super single in antracite with a center drain and garbage disposal.. I don't use a grid because of the garbage disposal and I love my sink!! I don't think it looks plasticky at all and I love the color with my granite and I also have a black faucet. ! The upkeep is so easy ...it cleans up like a breeze. I read somewhere along the way when I was researching these sinks that people had problems with whit water spots..that has never been an issue for me at all. So far...wonderfully good!!!

• peonybush
    12 years ago

I have the silgranite metallic grey. It's actually a bit darker than the sample piece I saw when I picked it out. I have the Cambria New Quay which is grey, white and just a tad of khaki color in it. The sink is a great match. I've only been using it for a week, but really like it. Doesn't look plasticky at all.

• weimom
    12 years ago

After reading such positive comments on this sink I am reconsidering getting this sink for my laundry room instead of stainless steel. What do you all think about having this as a laundry sink? I had already decided to have the silgranite as my kitchen sink.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I have the anthracite and we love it! I also really loved the cafe brown and the truffle, but they weren't right for my granite.

• mobydog
    12 years ago

I bought the cafe brown super sink with the off-set drain for our current kitchen remodel...have not installed yet but it is a beauty! We have had stainless, cast iron and porcelain in past homes and I am hoping this one works out better than our previous sinks!

• barbarany
    12 years ago

I also have the cafe brown super sink with off-set drain. It has been in use for 3 years and I have never babied it. Tomato sauce, coffee, wine, super hot water.....it looks the same as it did the day it went in. I love it !

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Jem, I have a Blanco white silgranite and it replaced a Kohler cast iron. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Blanco sink and would never trade back!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

FWIW, another vote for silgranite -- I love it absolutely. Comparatively, well, I think the quality of SS sinks vary tremendously between manufacturers, so it's hard to make a blanket statement about all. There's also another manufacturer of composite granite sinks, like Blanco's - I'm blanking on that manufacturers' name right now. It's less-appreciated on this forum (and by me as well FWIW).

I wrote recently about the "plasticy-ness" -- to me, it's "silky", not "plasticy". Or slippery. New enameling on cast iron can be as well.

It's a pretty emotional, as opposed to rational, decision. If dh stands in front of the sink the most, then perhaps his emotions are what need feeding the most? Do you have room and money for two sinks? How about one each? We have a SS and a silgranite. I definitely know a difference one from the other, but don't gravitate toward one preferentially on the basis of its finish. On the basis of its size and location and shape, yes. Finish - really that's the last on the list. Finish is a form thing, not a function one (to some large extent).

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

I have had a white Silgranit super-single for a year of heavy use and absolutely love it. It's not plastic-y to me at all. It's not cold, hard, and slick like enameled cast iron, but that's a _good_ thing. I had a 1963 enameled steel double sink before this -- chipped, dull, impossible to keep clean, and of course lethal to anything liable to chipping or breaking. This is a surface that to me has all the advantages of white enamel without the flaws. It's not trying to imitate enamel, but if that's how the OP's husband is thinking of it, I can see how it could seem plastic-like.

My situation's like mabeldingeldine's -- only one sink in the kitchen, heavy use for cooking, cleaning, harvesting, etc. We don't have a garbage disposal; we're in the country and compost.

Nothing has stained the sink yet -- any scuffs or dingy areas have come clean with a little baking soda on a damp paper towel. It's a pleasure to work at the sink now.

• blufish
    12 years ago

We've had a white Blanco Silgranit in our kitchen since 2003. It has held up very very well with tons of use. We've found that it does stain easily though - especially with jam making and other canning and gets quite dingy looking with just ordinary use as well. I use a bleach solution on it every few weeks. We would never have another white one but would definitely have another colour

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

Since 2003, Blanco has changed the Silgranit formula, and what is on the market now (and in my kitchen) is Silgranit II. I have no idea if this affects how easy it is to keep the surface clean, but I can say that my experience has been different than blufish's.

However, another factor that varies a lot from kitchen to kitchen is how the sink is treated wrt how much food actually reaches it. We might be near one end of the spectrum: no garbage disposal here (compost most food scraps), and we scrape/wipe pots and dishes pretty thoroughly before they get to the sink. Once there, they are soaked/rinsed, so what food-y liquid does directly come in contact with the sink is diluted. This isn't about protecting the sink, but minimizing food mess during cleanup.

• drbeanie2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. DH changed his mind about it after I read him some GW rave posts. We still haven't picked our countertops, though, so I don't know what color we'll get.

Looking forward to it!

• drbeanie2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I went ahead and got the Super Single with offset drain in Anthracite. When I first saw it out of the box, I thought - Seriously? When it went in, though, no plasticky look or feel. It feels incredibly sturdy. It looks fantastic with our leathered Cambrian Black countertops in that we barely notice it is there. There might be some water spots on the sides every once in a while, but they are not white, they're not that noticeable. I just wipe them off with a microfiber cloth every night.

I think our project manager was a little dubious about it, but he talked about how great it was once it was in. He especially mentioned the quietness.

I hope to get higher resolution images soon but the attached photo shows how well it blends in with everything and is totally unobtrusive.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you love it, Beanie! It looks fantastic in your space. More pics please! :)

• minty88
    11 years ago

I had a black silgranit sink with my laminate counter. I loved it so much I got one for my new granite counter too.

Here is my old one that still looked like new after 5 yrs:

Here is my new one: