Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nymommy_gw

Ballpark figure for cabinets?

nymommy
16 years ago

Ok, so we've decided to totally gut our kitchen so we met with a local kitchen design center today and went over what we liked etc. We really liked the plain n' fancy cabinets and our kitchen is about 13x13 and probably 2 walls would need cabinets as well as an island. So, BALLPARK figure, what do you think this is going to cost? I have absolutely no idea, I wasn't able to get any estimate from the designer at all (obviously we're not obligated to buy or anything). Am I looking at $20-30K or more like $50-60K? I have absolutely no idea. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (47)

• dd70
    16 years ago

It all depends on:
    1. Wood
    2. paint/glaze
    3. door style
    4. options (full exten. drawers, soft close, etc...)
    5. Did you pick any big cabinets...pantry, Microwave center..
    6. mouldings
    7. Plywood boxes or mdf
    8. finished sides
    There are so many variables its hard to say. Without knowing what you picked it could be any of those prices you listed. If I had to guess..For the average size kitchen with the average amount of upgrades $15-$25,000. Why didn't she give you a price?

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Yeah, if you are looking at Plain & Fancy you are definitely closer to the $50 - 60K figure (sorry). But why wouldn't the KD be willing to talk general figures with you? That is strange and disconcerting ....

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I just asked how they measured (was it by linear foot?) and he said that they charge per cabinet piece. He is going to e-mail me his plan with a ballpark figure. I just want to be prepared so my mouth doesn't hit the floor!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Plain and Fancy is a nice brand, though I didn't get a cost estimate from them so I can't say for sure..but I think they're higher end aren't they? If that's the case, I'd guess with all the bells and whistles (blum, toe kick drawers, soft close cabs, glass, pantry, lazy susans etc) in a simpler style, I'd say the $30 to $40 range. If you inset the doors and go for a fancier style with detail work (ie antique style, painted, etc) I'd pop that up to $40 to $50,000.

Totally a ballpark ;) I'm doing the highest quality I could find for a similar size kitchen and that's our kitchen figure (mine's with a designer discount). I have EVERY bell and whistle imaginable in Omega Custom, as well as a banquette and crown molding. I have toe kick drawers everywhere, and glass on all uppers. All of my uppers are 15 deep and I do have several very custom pieces. I only tell you this to help with the ballpark. Oh and the other price grabber I have is that the insides of the cabs are the same (stain) as the outside. Hopefully this helps you compare for pricing. I got the discount because I designed the kitchen and ordered cabinets for three bathrooms, dining room and kitchen all at the same time..and she knows I have another house in the works.

I think if you are comfortable with $45,000 bill you can get anything you want :)

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, you guys are giving me a better idea of the cost. We wanted a mix of cherry cabinets with a cocoa stain and maple cabinets with a cream colored glazed finish. The door style is a full overlay with some detail like this
    http://www.plainfancycabinetry.com/door_styles/door_details.asp?ID=46 I wouldn't say we have too many bells and whistles, I just want a nice looking kitchen. I am willing to change the door style etc. Thanks so much for your advice!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Sorry -- I posted when I was tired and so was incomplete.

My experience with Plain & Fancy is that they're one of the "nicer" lines (and they are lovely, so I'm not griping) but really only available east of the Mississippi (I'm west), unless you're willing to spend $$$ on shipping. I'm going to assume from your handle you're in NY so clearly, east!

The price Igloochic (who's in Alaska) quoted for her cabinets is phenomenal (considering all her upgrades -- those toe-kick drawers and inset cabinets are notoriously expensive), as in phenomenally reasonable. I am really impressed with all she's getting for that amount from a big manufacturer, not an independent cabinetmaker. (To justify, some of the big lines at which we looked [Cuisines Laurier, DuraSupreme], without all the bells & whistles [actually, with no bells & whistles] for a similarly sized kitchen, were coming in $75 - 90K. Gulp -- we can't afford that! Instead, we're working with a local cabinetmaker and getting every bell & whistle we wanted for ~$60K, painted finish, full overlay [inset is more].)

So I should've initially written that based on my (limited) experience with Plain & Fancy for a space your size it will be v. easy to be close to the $50K figure, esp. with a painted finish (I know you're just doing that on your island). But it's a well thought-of and gorgeous line of cabinetry, renowned for the quality of their painted finish. I first learned of them when This Old House did a kitchen in a Chicago suburb using Plain & Fancy and thought the kitchen looked dreamy. Plus, Norm liked the construction of their cabinets, which I took to be a ringing endorsement!

Don't forget to let us know what you find out. Good luck and have fun!

• kompy
    16 years ago

I'm a P&F dealer. It will also depend on where you live.
    I'm in the midwest. Below is a kitchen that I did for a family....about 5 or 6 years ago. It's a beaded inset, raised panel doorstyle w/ slab drawer fronts. The finish is painted and distressed. I'm not in the office, but from memory, I think her cabinets were about $30K (not installed). I can check the exact price when I get back to the office on Tuesday, if you like. There is one more broom closet that is not shown in the pix.

If you stick with standard units and standard finishes, that will help a lot.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

OK I had to look and see what that discount was after rm posted! The retail price (kitchen only) would be $71,048 on mine. I'm using cherry with an autumn glaze, in a door style named Madrid...but that's actually just a basic shaker door, and the doors are inset with beading. That DOES NOT include install, and as I mentioned I did get a discount for the entire house and the designer discount (part of flipping a deal to have the house photographed).

I think you could figure that the some of the bells and whistles I got could be swapped out for your upgrades. THe inset doors were...I think a 19% upcharge??? Something like that, but the simple doors and lack of paint kept the costs down elsewhere.

I believe Plain and Fancy is close in price to Omega Custom...RM might know more about that. One thing I like about Omega Custom is that it's all "custom" although factory built custom. THat means some things like the matching interiors and the beading were not upgrades, nor were the deeper cabinets on the uppers. Omega always stains their interiors the same as the outside. This won't matter so much on the kitchen side (since the autumn is a very light finish) but for the bathroom, it was a big upcharge, given that the cabinets are very dark and I hate opening the drawers and doors to see light wood. I also have a complex set of cabinets in the bay window (all open in either drawers or doors below the seat) and Omega was willing to work with that (many of the higher brands didn't want to try for some goofy reason and wanted me to hire a custom guy to build it...which wasn't available).

In comparison, a very small amount of cabinets went into our master bath, but the doors are fancier. Their retail is about $30M done in a cherry truffle. And the most expensive (worm holed, distressed, stained, and fabulous pieces) is the family bathroom cabinet, a tiny little 33" cabinet with a similar size double door piece above it retailed for $7,000. THat distressing and deeply carved stuff gets terribly pricy! (I got similar discounts on all of these which made it easier on the budget).

Freight was a killer on me...almost $7,000 or about 10% of my total costs...so do think about factoring that in and asking about it. It might not be such an issue for you given that you're near your retailer, but it's worth asking what that would add to the budget.

I'd have considered P & F in a heart beat if they sold here. They're very well done cabinets. Kompy's kitchen is a great example of how pretty they are. And given that that's a beaded inset painted finish...at $30M I'd say you can probably figure under $50 but maybe I'm nuts :oP

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

nymommy,

Are you just asking what the cabinets will cost? Or what the whole job will cost? In my case the cabinets, while significant, were not the largest cost. The contractor (including gutting, floors, electric & lighting, plumbing, plaster and paint as well as cabinet install) is ending up as about half the total cost. The cabinets are about 20%.

This may not be typical. I did the entire downstairs floor and lighting and painting, not just the kitchen. And it turned out there were some structural issues that had to be corrected, though not a huge job.

The contractor I ended up with is "Cadillac quality" (or perhaps I should say Lexus these days), and I figure I may be paying $10k extra for that. But it sure is nice to have people who are perfectionists doing the work.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

Holy Cow - $70K?? That's my entire kitchen budget! Ours are Thomasville - cherry (FULL cherry, no veneer doors and plywood boxes, not MDF) - shaker/mission style - with ALL the bells & whistles - and 6 columns (4 on the island and 2 on the popout on the sink). $18,500 (no tax, I'm in Oregon) - and I got in on the HD 10% sale, and a free base cabinet from Thomasville. My layout is on the webpage listed below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our cabinets

• mamadadapaige
    16 years ago

nymommy,

I have about the same size kitchen as you and am in the midst of a gut renovation as well. We will have cabinets for 2 walls as well as an island (45" x 75"). I shopped HARD for cabinetry. We are going with Crown Point. Below is a list of the pricing I got for the different options. I almost went with Plain and Fancy... I really liked their door styles. I ended up going with Crown Point because we have 3 sets of friends who used them who all raved (also they came in the least expensive).

Kennebec Cabinetry: $32K
    Brookhaven: $25K
    Woodmode: $34K
    Quality Custom Cabinetry: $28K
    Plain and Fancy: $25K
    Medallion: $22K
    Crown Point: $24K

I can tell you a few things that will affect your price (with Crown Point at least, possibly with the other companies as well).

** If you bring the cabinetry all the way to the ceiling this seems to affect the price quite a lot.

** Furniture toe kids add.

** Natural wood would have been 25% less expensive than the painted cabinets we chose (with the exception of tiger maple which would have been about equal with painted).

** Glazes and milk paint and things like that add to the cost.

** Those old fashioned latches you see on doors adds. I chose this just for my upper cabinets and it cost me about $50 or $60 per door.

** Inset cabinetry is generally more expensive than overlay. Crown Point deals in inset which was part of why we chose them. Medallion has just started making inset cabinetry. Plain and Fancy does inset.

** A custom color (painted) adds about 10% more or less.... not all companies allow this, but I know Plain and Fancy as well as Crown Point allow it at a cost.

I hope this helps.

By the way, the Kennebec Company cabinets were the ones I was MOST impressed with but you really need to plan ahead to work with this company. Their price was more but not by so much that I wouldn't have gone for it, but their lead time was about 8 months. They are a small shop making everything by hand. I will post a link to their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kennebec Cabinets

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

boxiebabe -- that's a great point. All kitchen users are different. All kitchen users' requirements / needs / wants are different. Not all cabinetry lines can fulfill those requirements / needs / wants.

At one frustrating point in our planning (when we were still with said KD and costs were beyond ridiculous [for us]) I was feeling so low and confused (like "why are we doing this when it's going to cost in excess of six figures and we're not even getting everything we want?") that I said to my husband maybe we should investigate big box cabinetry (e.g., Thomasville, KraftMaid, etc.) and spend oodles less money.

I thought about it longer than my husband: he pretty much flat-out said there was no point. If we couldn't do what we want, get what we want, they why spend any money at all getting a kitchen which would only continue to frustrate us? (as did the kitchen with which we were already living) Because, while $18,500 is far less than $70K, it's still a significant sum, and if we were to spend that on cabinetry alone (there's still all the other costs associated with redoing a kitchen), we'd never be able to justify redoing the kitchen again (to get what we really wanted).

Now that was our decision. We felt we must have frameless. I was v. specific about the door style I wanted. I knew precisely what I wanted in a hood design and refrigerator / freezer panels , etc. And so on about our requirements. Stock and semi-custom would not have fulfilled our requirements / needs / wants and, quite frankly, some custom lines also were not able to fulfill our "list." (e.g., DuraSupreme was a no-go for us as was another local cabinetmaker)

Sure, anyone can justify anything if they try hard enough! But after lots of rumination and real soul-searching, both within ourselves (okay, only I did that part) and with each other we found our "we'll only redo the kitchen if we can get what we want" point.

It's like figuring out which breed of dog is right for you -- what's right for our family might be totally wrong for you and yours. Or maybe Goldilocks is more apropos -- she found what was "just right" for her, and for us, going custom (for more money) is our "just right."

boxiebabe -- your plan looks beautiful. I look forward to seeing your finished kitchen!

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I stumbled across Crown Point's website and their work is beautiful. I didn't even plan on looking at them because I thought it would be way out of our price range. So, today we went to Home Depot Expo and we looked at everthing from Kraftmaid to Thomasville to Omega and Quakermaid. To be honest with you, they all looked nice to me! I am thinking if I pick a nice door style with the stain/paint I want, will it really be such a difference? I don't want to live in a showcase and I have 3 kids so it's hard to imagine having such an expensive room where I'll be cringing every time I see the crayons come out. I am going to see what the designer says about price. Anything over $30 and we'll start looking elsewhere, it just doesn't pay for us. We'll start looking at some mid range stuff.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

rmkitchen: Thanks for your response. I agree wholeheartedly! Ours was a choice made on a) what we had for a budget - which of course so far we've exceeded by about 15-20% and b) the kitchen designer. I actually should've put the kitchen designer first, because to tell you the truth - SHE is the reason we got what we did where we did. She is a Home Depot KD - and she went above and beyond what ANY other cabinet maker/store/person did for us. She really took our project to heart, almost like she was putting together the kitchen of a family member. I never once had to repeat the "I like this, I don't like that, I want this n that" kind of stuff. Unlike others who didn't listen to what we relayed to them, and designed things that were so far off the mark that we discontinued our discussions with them. Lastly, knowing that this isn't our "dream home", we really tried to make this new kitchen something comfortable, with plenty of storage space, and appealing to both our tastes and desires. Regardless, this will be the nicest kitchen we've ever owned. BUT....when we're in our dream home - lookout! hehe NYMOMMY: Sounds like you're on the right track. Eager to hear your outcome.

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

rmkitchen,
    Did you try getting a quote from Scherr's or a local cabinet maker? You should be able to get exactly what you want and very likely for a price you're willing to pay.
    I'm thrilled with my Scherr's cabinets and would've paid lots more for them. (I'm saying this because we finally got the pulls on yesterday and we don't have to use twine wraps to open drawers anymore - yippee!)

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I never even thought of looking at local cabinet makers. I thought they would be WAY too expensive but it seems like that is not always the case. I am going to see what the KD has to say and that will pretty much make our decision either way. Now, I am just so excited to get started and I am so bummed that it's going to be such a long process (12-14 weeks for cabinets ugh!). Thanks for all the input!

• mamadadapaige
    16 years ago

nymommy,

bear in mind the pricing I listed is for inset cabinets. Full overlay will be less expensive (I missed that you are interested in full overlay when I browsed your post the first time).

Crown Point only does inset.

I had visited Lowe's while shopping around. They had a very nice cabinetry line that would have been very reasonably priced but they didn't do inset so I went another route. I think it was Scherr, the one mentioned by another poster.

We are living in a rental house while our house is being renovated. We are the first people in here... the owners renovated to rent out to temporary people like us. The cabinets are by Schrock. I would like to worn you against this brand. One of the doors has fallen off the hinges. The trash door is all wiggly. and the knots in the cherry are so big you can see right through the door. The quality is just not there (although it is just a rental so why would they want to spend a ton of money, right... just for your own home you might want higher quality, especially with kids... you want the cabinets to stand up to the wear and tear... and from that angle you might consider the companies with warranties, such as Plain and Fancy with their lifetime guarantee).

I want to second what someone else said about shopping hard for discounts... I was very upfront about our budget (low $20K's) while shopping and had those that really wanted the business adjust their price to keep us in our range.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

I also just wanted to add/reiterate a couple of points - one that the choice of options used seem to greatly change the cost on cabinetry and that painted finishes are consistently pricier than stained. On that note, Plain and Fancy's painted finishes are gorgeous. Secondly, 13x13 is a nominal kitchen size and from everything I've seen and learned, $50K seems like a very large number for P&F for this "nominal" kitchen, even painted-P&F which is gorgeous, albeit with the caveat that options selected can turn all trends topsy-turvy. Based on what I've read, 25-35K would be the closer to reality number - caveat of course being options used.

Another thing that I've learned from haunting the GW is that the "retail price" is a phantom number, completely meaningless to the consumer because purportedly "nobody pays retail pricing". That all dealers are given some sort of range of abilities to knock off some substantial percentage of "retail price". I know, I know, it raises all the questions about why cite a "retail number" if nobody is expected to pay that but it is what it is. From various designers and cabinet shop owners, we've read here that the customer price would be some sort of scaling of 85%, 80% and even less than 70% (that I've seen mentioned here) of the "retail price". THAT is the motivation to "shop" cabinet companies even for a given brand because different retailers can give you a different percentage off the "retail price". So, did I mention, that "nobody pays retail". I suspect that neither igloochic nor anybody else would have had to pay 71K for her cabinets, designer discount or not ;-)

So, in general, nymommy, I suspect that you can expect something more in line with the 30-35K you've seen mentioned here although you could certainly rack it up with interiors. That said, P&F is a very up-market brand and I believe they have very respectably accoutered interiors so it really isn't like you need to add a whole tonne of options to make the cabinets useful to you.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

nymommy, I know what you mean about thinking custom cabinetmakers would cost more than large manufacturers. But it's not (always) true. (of course there are some instances where a local custom cabinetmaker will cost more, but from this forum it appears to be generally true that they are competitively priced if not lower)

Read this link for more info about how surprised many of us have been by the discrepancy in our thinking (about prices) vs. reality.

I don't know where in NY you are, but there have been lots of posts from people near NJ (like the thread I linked above), as well as upstate NY and near CT. Perhaps one of them can help you find some local custom shops with whom to speak.

Good luck!

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For mamadadpaige, I have a question for you about Crown Point. How was the whole process in terms of getting a price quote. Did you do most talking via e-mail or phone? Did you provide measurements yourself? I guess I am nervous about pursuing it since there is no showroom I can go look at or a catalog etc. Their photo gallery is gorgeous!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

IglooChic...Omega does toekick drawers??!!! My KD told me they didn't do them and that I would have to get a custom cabinet guy to modify my cabinets if I wanted them!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

• hmsweethm
    16 years ago

nymommy, you're getting great advise on everything already, and I just wanted to add my two cents worth on your last question about Crown Point and how you work with them. I too considered them, coveted their beautiful cabinets and even got a quote, but then went with a local cabinet builder strictly because of price. But my experience with them was super: I faxed them my architect's drawings for our kitchen (and this is key, if you are doing a kitchen, measure everything and have a definite idea of what you want and where and then shop it around, so you can compare apples to apples.By the end of the process I think I got five or six estimates and I think we were really able to make a good choice because each one of them on the same things.

As soon as I called Crown Point, they assigned me a designer who was very nice and helpful. We started with me faxing him my plans, and we went back and forth mostly via email, although there were a few phone calls, and I got a very detailed cost estimate from them. He appreciated that I knew exactly what I wanted, that I told him which door style and finish and drawer details I wanted. When we also asked them for a bid on our bathroom cabinetry, he appreciated that I sent him a photograph of one of my "inspiration'' bathrooms so he could suggest something they could make that would most fill my dream. They work quickly, they give you real numbers and I believe from people who use them that they stick to their estimates.

While I love my finished kitchens, definitely one of the trade offs for me was foregoing Crown Point cabinets in order to get higher end appliances. It was a hard choice. I don't regret it, I only say that to let you know how great I think Crown Point's products and customer service are.
    Hope this helps.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Buehl..Omega CUSTOM does toe kick drawers. Omega II didn't. But you're supposed to be able to combine Omega II, Dynasty and Omega Custom when you need to for the options so I think your KD was a bit umm well not as knowledgable about the brand (I'm trying to be nice LOL) Dork is what I want to say :oP

They actually offered more toe kick drawers than our first cabinet company did (they went to a smaller size). I was pretty impressed.

Mindstorm is right, no one pays retail, but I wanted to be fair and give the prices on the bill so that I wasn't skewing anything. I will say though, I did bid the EXACT same kitchen aside from one small sink cabinet (which the KD we went with changed to an inset...which should be more expensive) to another KD at another firm that sells the Omega line and her bid for the kitchen alone was closer to $61M and for the entire house it was over $100M (that's the actual price bid to me, not what she said was retail, which was about 15% more).

• mamadadapaige
    16 years ago

Hi nymommy,

my experience with Crown Point has been similar to that of hmsweethm.... they have been great.

The initial quote took 2 weeks (which seemed long compared to others, particularly since we hadn't originally planned to do our kitchen as part of some other renovations we were in the midst of so we were under the gun to get things going quickyly).

After I said yes to the proposal, our designer was at our house a couple of days later to measure. We are in Massachusetts so not too far from their headquarters in New Hampshire. I am thinking you are in New York so that is probably driving distance for them to come to you as well. My contractors were here when the designer came to measure so they worked together on it.

The drawings they sent were very nice and the changes I asked to make were handled very professionally. I have called many many times to ask small and large questions and have always gotten right through or have been contacted back very quickly.

I actually went to the headquarters to pick my hardware (we happened to be up in Sunapee skiing when it was time to choose hardware so it was a relatively quick trip over on a Saturday).

All in all I have been very happy with how it has gone.

As previously mentioned I had originally planned to go with Plain and Fancy but had some reservations that kept me looking and then a couple of friends recommended Crown Point whom I had never heard of. My reservations with Plain and Fancy wasn't about the quality which I think is excellent, it was about the company we'd be ordering through. The girl who drew up the plans couldn't have been more than 22 years old and some of the judgement calls she made when working up our drawings gave me SERIOUS pause.

I think there is a little bit of an art and some science to this and I felt more comfortable going with someone who has been doing this for years and years.

I am not working with a kitchen designer because I am on a budget (and also very design minded) so I did my own drawings, created them into a pdf and sent them to CrownPoint. Your architect could this for you as well though, or you could have them help you with it (I believe). You should at least send away for their "dream kit" which has a lot of info.

I am not sure if I am allowed to say the name of the designer we are working with but if you want to email me I can give you more info.

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

I must point out that Scherr's is not in any way shape or form associated with Lowes or Home Depot. It is a terrific family-owned company in North Dakota.
    We probably would've looked at custom except we were living in CA and remodeling a home in FL, so we couldn't work with local places. At the time (Feb 2006), Scherr's lead time was 3 months. I've read that by summer they were up to 6 months with minimum cabinet purchase, but the downturn in home construction/remodeling may have changed that.
    What you can do is order a single door and see how you like it. We just had them send us a piece of cut-off so that we could select tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherr's

• mamadadapaige
    16 years ago

oops! I think it is Schuler from Lowe's that I looked at. they seemed to be really high quality.

schuler, scherr, schrock.... I got confused.

• jeanar
    16 years ago

I haven't priced out Quakermaid yet, but I loved their cabinets at HomeExpo. Does anyone know if I'm going to have sticker-shock after getting a previous quote from Medallion? HomeExpo will only give me a quote if I give them $750, fully refundable with an order, of course. Also, what of Quakermaid's quality? I'm new to this forum and did a search for Quakermaid, but only came up with one hit. Has no one used them?

FWIW, our Medallion quote was $16,000, and a custom quote from our CKD was $20,000.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have Quakermaid cabinets here in the rental (built in 1976). They're solid mahogany and STILL gorgeous. I'll be using the to retrofit these rooms with new pieces (they guarantee for life) and to fix a broken drawer. They rock frankly. These cabinets are gorgeous and so ahead of their time (they have all pull out cabinet shelfs from 1976!) Honestly I love them, and they have a great guarantee. They're already working with our contractor to provide all new mechanics to the cabinets that need them (not too many but glides are better now so they're replacing them...for no cost!). They also were horrified to find out that the bread box developed a bit of rust...I do mean a bit...just a tiny bit. They sent me a new one immediately and I didn't build this place.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

I was told that Medallion cabinets are marketed under the name Schuler and sold at Lowes. I originally was going to go with Medallion, so I checked them out. If they're not the same company - you could fool me. Their brochures were almost identical, and the style that I was going to purchase was identical to the ones I had picked from Medallion. I didn't end up going with either - but was just posting what I found in response to mamadadapaige. :)

• amerimat
    16 years ago

look like someone has coated the cabinets with truffles and caviar looking at prices quoted, 13x13 with a lot of whisles and bells cabinets in all plywood solid wood door even glazed,around $22 k ,counter top granite anywhere from $15 square foot "chinese" to $115 and anything in between $80 is a fair estimate,appliances all depend what you are looking for. regardless make a list and redo it again,if a designer cannot give you an estimate run , run , by the way was it a paid consultation, regardless what anyone think there is no freebies it take knowledge and time to learn how to design a kitchen , the codes and decoration,everyone can cook a hot dog can they make a gourmet meal? remenber you and only you will be leaving in that house not the decorator.
    joel

• rosalita
    16 years ago

Be sure you do check with some local cabinet makers. I got estimates from many, many places such as Kraftmaid, Haas, Omega/Dynasty, Medallion and more. I received estimates from more than one local cabinet shop and the local cabinet guys came in equal or cheaper than the semi-custom but added in MUCH more high end extras.

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, so we got a few designs from the KD we met with and we got a price estimate in the $20-$24K range for the Plain and Fancy cabinets we like. I was actually pleasantly surprised since I had heard figures in the $50, $60, $70K range. Yikes! Now, we are just mulling over some designs and we are ready to take the next step.

• mamadadapaige
    16 years ago

nymommy,

GREAT news!!

also, fyi, one thing I did when working on the design angle was to make a list of everything I wanted to store in cabinets and then jot on the design where these things would go. With tape measure in hand I would measure against my current cabinets to see if it would be a good fit and better design than what I had (with particular attention paid to placement of the various items in relation to how I work in my kitchen). I wanted to be sure that things like ziploc baggies, sarah wrap, picnic stuff (plastic cutlery, paper plates, etc) all had a better home than previously (when they were absolutely stuffed into place and thus toppling out on me when I opened the door).

Also, look through lots of kitchen magazines and on the finished kitchens blog as well as the websites of other cabinets makers... you'll be able to find lots of little ideas to incorporate into your kitchen.

Best of luck! and have fun with it.

• nymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mamadadapaige, I am excited to get the whole process started but I am having a lot of anxiety about spending almost $30K on kitchen cabinets. It's crazy! The housing market is terrible and the economy is heading into a recession and I am hoping we are not making a mistake. Part of me just wants to go to Lowe's and get some mid-range cabinets there (my husband has developed champagne taste and is pushing for the plain n fancy). We are waiting to decide if we want to leave a deposit and get the ball rolling. I'm scared!

• cheri127
    16 years ago

nymommy, You've good reason to be scared. $30K is a huge amount to spend on cabinets. Btw, is that installed? I think you should really shop around, look at lots of different manufacturers and get a few more quotes. You may decide you like P&F the best and go for it, but you may also find the you'd be just as happy with something considerably less expensive. Keep in mind that most companies have a 25% upcharge for paint and another 25% upcharge for glaze, which will really jack up the total price. I tried to give up the paint to save money, but I couldn't do it... I just love those painted cabinets!

• starfish24
    16 years ago

I don't know much about cabinet grades, so this is v. informative. Plain & Fancy looks beautiful. Does anyone know how it compares quality-wise to Woodmode (which is what our designer is recommending), specifically with regard to quality of hinges and finishes (how evenly they come out on all cabs, how long they last, etc.)?

mamadadapaige -- the estimates comparison you provided was so helpful -- thank you!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I can't tell you where I read it starfish, but after a disasterous cabinet order showed up at my house, I ended up sendig them all back and did a massive internet search, using both "normal" sites and some designer sites I had access to at the time. I was looking at the "Top Quality" cabinet brands. Woodmode, Plain & Fancy, Omega Custom and Hertco were all there. Since I'd seen Hertco and knew that quality, I looked for dealers. P&F just isn't readily available on the west coast at all, so I wasn't able to see them, but I did see the Omega's which compared to the Hertco. There were a few other boutique brands scattered around which weren't available to me, so I went with bids on Hertco and Omega.
    If P&F is considered company to those two brands, they must be pretty nice :)

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

Wow, you are all making my day, I feel like I got the bargain of the century with my cabs. Seriously thought they were high but now am feeling really good about them.
    nymommy, I would seriously look in to local cabinet maker as well. There is nothing that beats being to go and see, talk, feel, touch etc. your cabs as they are being made. With that said, many of the cabinet company's make beautiful cabinetry. Get all the pictures, and ideas you have and take them to someone local as well. You may indeed be surprised by cost.
    I love Crown Point and took pictures of them to cabinet maker just so he knew what I was looking for. Here is what I got, we are in Oregon.
    We went with paint grade poplar, full inset, shaker style with beadboard, soft close, furniture style toe kicks, true divided light on 3 different buffets, pull-out drawers, many other bells& whistles. My price included all the built-ins for the rest of the house. We are building a 6,000 sq. ft. home. Cabinetry in 5 baths, built-in beds and desks, window seats in 5 of the bedrooms, dining room buffet, 2 breakfast room buffets, built-in seating for breakfast room, huge floor to ceiling bookshelves in great room, family room, master suite, with cabs on bottom of open shelves. wet bar upstairs, inglenook window seats, laundry room, mudroom, linen closets. We had 415 lineal feet of cabinetry installed. They are beautiful, we paid 50,000. for everything not including paint which was about 12, 000.00 more.
    I think it would have been considerably more going non-local. He did a superb job and I was able to go there anytime when he was having an "issue" as this was the biggest job he had ever done. I would recommend looking into local anytime. If I could figure out the pictures I would get some on here.

• ehoops
    16 years ago

I didn't have time to read through all the posts right now but I was thinking we were spending a lot on cabinets, now I don't feel so bad. We're getting beaded inset with blum soft close on both drawers/cabinet doors in the kitchen and on a china cabinet. The remainder of the house 5 vanities, built ins on both side of fireplace, bar uppers and lowers, office, laundry and mudroom lockers will all be full overlay but with the soft close and for everything we're looking at 60-65,000. I also got a bid from one of the large manufacturers and it was more than the local "custom guys". The guy we're going with is one of three custom who were all in the ball park of 60-75k. good luck

• teddas
    16 years ago

Wow, I am so glad I found this site! I had a to die for painted ivory/glazed/distressed kitchen by Legacy/ Bertsch. It did include 9 foot heights of glass top upper cabinets. MY total (NOW CHECK THIS OUT) was 165K!!!!!! I nearly walked out so they figured with a few minor adjustments it would be brought down to 100K. Still too much for me. I really don't want to give them the business if they think that much or less of me. SO I went to another area here in Northern VA and got a quote for a glazed stained cherry for 65. Really has me thinking about the previous post of markup. The new brand was Starmark.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

But it is so important to remember that prices can and do vary GREATLY around the country. I am astonished by and totally envious of both acountryfarm's and ehoops' quotes they shared. What acountryfarm is spending for her whole large house is less than just my medium-sized kitchen, and for our area we are doing great!

I guess my point is to not feel discouraged if the quotes you're getting are not in line with (some of) the above.

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

I absolutely agree with you rmkitchen. I certainly don't want to make anyway feel bad, you all just made me feel so darn good about my cabs. With the way this build has been going I need all the good feelings I can get. We are at the end of our 2nd year , 2 contractors later ( 1st embezzled over 40k, 2nd one just stole outright and is never there). We now have about 4 weeks left and what I can say is I have beautiful cabinets and a beautiful home. We finally took over and thats what the bank should have let us do in the first place.

• lissa711
    16 years ago

I feel so much better after reading rmkitchens response. I'm in the metro ny area and just placed my cabinet order. I went to a distributer that had a reputation for being very reasonable in price and am using Crystal Cabinets, painted and glazed with a beaded inset. The price for my medium size kitchen with cherry stained and glazed island and butler's pantry is about 46K. I had been hoping to come in around 40K but couldn't do it. I tried to give up all the extras without giving up my vision of something like a Christopher Peacock kitchen. I felt I needed to keep the beaded inset doors and painted perimeter cabinets. I took out an additional pantry (around 20K for one 21" pantry with pullouts!), changed my door style to the most simple raised panel and instead of bumping out my range and sink and flanking with columns, I left them in line with the rest of the cabinets and removed the columns. I was starting to really doubt my sanity after reading the qoutes from acountryfarm and ehoop. My kitchen designer also works with Plain and Fancy and said I would have spent a few thousand more if I went with them. I asked about going with Medallion which is the semi custom line he uses but he said if I went with the inset doors it really drives up the price and would basically be about the same price. I finally just placed the order but feel much better hearing that others are paying similar amounts depending where in the country they are.

• tkbalt
    16 years ago

Concur with 15K to 25K. We have a 13X17 kitchen (currently in demo stage). Cabinet layout is a modified G shape. Peninsula (no Island).

Cherry raised panel(no Glaze), blum soft close on drawers / cabinets / full extension drawers. Mouser 22K (Custom), Kline 16K (custom). We opted to go with Kline, a local (indianapolis area) cabinetmaker.

Be sure to check out the local cabinetmakers. We initially thought they would be more expensive and found they were competitive and do everything custom. Plus you support local small business, which was a factor for us.

• marthavila
    16 years ago

NYmommy,

Did you ever get over your fear and "get the ball rolling"? :) If so, what did you finally decide? Did you go with Plain & Fancy or a different cabinet line altogether? What dealer did you choose and how did you make out on pricing? If you went with local custom cabinetmaker, who are you working with?

I'm asking you all this because, although it's very late in the game, I'm now beginning to consider swapping out my reasonably priced and good looking Ikea cabinetry for something else. (Yes, I'm probably losing my mind, I know). And, since I'm here in Brooklyn, NY, I'm especially curious to hear what you have learned/decided to do about your cabinetry since your last post!

• luckymom23
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Would you mind sharing what part of Oregon you are in, and the information for your custom cabinet maker? We are in the process of getting bids for the new home we are building in Oregon City. Your home is gorgeous!!
    Thanks so much,
    Lucky