Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

counter to cabinet height, raising the lowers and inch?

cindywhitall
11 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is ok, but wanted to see if anybody has input.

about 7.5 years ago we got a new white dishwasher. Next we got a granite counter. Then a few months later we got tile floors. We kept our white cabinets because even though they were thermofoil they were only 8-9 years old and very good condition.

Now I want new cabs, BUT when they tiled they didn't move everything and tile under the cabs (we did tile under the island). Now the dishwasher is sitting there fitting perfectly well in it's spot, but there's no way it's coming out because the tile and it's backerboard are in front of it. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the legs can be adjusted to let it come out.

When we get our new cabs we can buy a new stainless dishwasher and put it in while the granite is off for the new cabs, but we'd rather not do that because then it will be our only stainless appliance until we replace the other perfectly usable white ones. I know stainless will look better, but that's several thousand we don't HAVE to spend YET.

I was thinking we can buy plywood to place in the areas under the cabs and dishwasher to sort of level them with the tile before we put the new cabs. Then we can just use the white dishwasher until we are ready to switch it all.

The plywood option will probably raise the lower cabs by 3/4-1". This will make the distance from counter to uppers 17".

Hold on, going to go check something....OK, I was a little ahead of myself...just thought about the stove and was worried about that clearance, so I looked. We tiled under it and there is 17.5 inches to the bottom of the micro. If we did put plywood under the cabs it would raise them so the cooktop (flat electric) would be more even with the counter, right now it sits about 1/2-1 inch higher than the counter. That's a plus for the plywood.

THEN I thought to finally pull off the lower toe kick panel of the dishwasher and the front legs (the ones that screw up and down) ARE actually on tile. The tile goes back about 3 inches. I don't know what kind of legs are in the back.

Since the front legs are on the tile then that should mean I will be able to get this washer out and a new one in with the granite in place....right? Then I don't have to get the stainless when I get the cabs? We'd rather wait until at least something breaks, the fridge is the oldest at about 12 years old...Probably won't wait longer than 2 years or so, or sooner if the maple cabs look crappy with the white.

I'm still trying to figure out who will take my granite out if I use Lowes instead of the cabinet store....

Thoughts on plywood under cabs?

Comments (2)