Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Armoire or cabinets to make a pantry?

Terri_PacNW
10 years ago

Any one done this?
We are looking at a house that does not have a pantry. I need pantry storage. I have been cruising Houzz and Pinterest looking for ideas.
Seems very do-able.. just looking to see if anyone here has done it?

Comments (7)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Why *not* an armoire? If you can reconfigure it in the kitchen space, it would certainly work.

My dream is to use several pieces of antique French furniture as actual cabinets in a kitchen......some day.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would be lovely!
    The start is...what style do I want to covey. Lol

I am actually a very modern clean lined person. But I like cottage charm.
    My current kitchen was redone about 9 years ago. We went shaker style maple with one shade from natural on them. All Brushed Stainless. Glass mosaic squares as a half splash, and Corian tops. Kitchen walls are Paprika.

And I love it..but thinking something completely different for this house.

This post was edited by terri_pacnw on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:14

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You can find modern armoires. Much easier I think. I was just in Ikea and there are quite a few.

• vedazu
    10 years ago

I bought this ugly but interesting piece on Ebay--it is remarkably capacious, and I have liquor storage, large trays and serving pieces, vases--stuff--in there. It could be organized more intelligently than I have it--but it adds some interest to your kitchen.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

See that's what I mean..a piece you wouldn't expect, but it works..

Snookums2, yes me and the Ikea catalog are going to get reacquainted. Lol

I have a pin on Pinterest, that is two Ikea book cases with moldings and trims added to look built in. Might go that route.
    As I was in the house again today wandering around taking pictures and video for reference....(helps to have your friend be your agent)
    I was telling her about my ideas..and she thought it was a great way to make a pantry.

I like to have as much information as possible before decisions are made...lol..

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Makes perfect sense to me -- either an armoire, china cabinet or hutch -- depending on what you find and whether you want all closed storage, display or a "counter." I have one that I was planning on using as a gift wrap/craft center (has a fold down table), but my dad moved and I took possession of my mom's china and crystal. It is now a china cabinet/butler's pantry -- at least until I decide to sell or gift one of the sets of china.

• carree
    10 years ago

I wanted to do precisely this for my mudroom. Had an imposing but attractive cherry armoire that would have held a ton of items and was no longer needed in its current spot. But for the width in a limited mudroom space, this is where it would be right now. And would have been so much more cost effective than new cabs for that room.

bottom line! I say go for it.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022