Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdispensa_gw

Slide-in vs. freestanding range

mdispensa
12 years ago

Does anyone have any feedback on slide-in vs free-standing ranges.

I have room for a standard 30" range and on the left side there is only a 12" base between the fridge and the stove. Slide-ins seem to be a lot more expensive as compared to a comparable standard range. I appreciate any input.

Comments (14)

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

It's mainly a question of budget and looks....both will get the job done. I think the slide-ins give a more custom look to the space, but they also require a filler piece of some sort in the back, usually the same material as the counter.

• ella70
    12 years ago

are they more difficult to clean?

• whisperingwillow
    12 years ago

I ended up going with a free standing range. I looked at both for a few months giving myself a headache. I really wanted a slide in because of how they look. I found that I could get a lot more features on the free standing range and still save a few hundred. There is a filler piece you can buy if you already have counters. The extra piece to fill the gap was kind of expensive. I believe Sears wanted something like 50 dollars!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

with a wall behind, I'd get a regular free standing unit-what are you doing above? exhaust fan or microwave with vent? these items will complete your look,so don't feel it's a downgrade to have a free standing unit....but don't go entry level model either.the fans with nite lites with hi/low settings can be a great thing for evenings-just needing a small illumination-and show off your backsplash.

• mdispensa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I can't vent to the outside, so I'm going to put a microwave with a circulating fan. I don't want to go low end but I don't see a reason to spend $1600 on a range. Seems like free standing can still look good. If anyone has any suggestions in the $1000 range, let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen view

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

IMHO, slide in ranges give a more custom look. You don't mention if you need gas or electric. Stainless steel, black or white? Lots of slide in options in your price range at AJ Madison.

The frigidaire gets almost 5 stars from 10 reviews. Frigidaire Gallery FGES3045K

Another Frigidaire gets solid 4 stars with 8 reviews. Frigidaire FFGS3025L

Link below to the search I used.

I have an electric slide in range at my vacation condo which replaced a freestanding unit. It looks more built in than the previous range did. The filler strip was about $60. It is no harder to clean than the previous range - both glass top.

Good luck with your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: AJ Madison SLide In Range Search

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Also check out Number1Direct.com. My GE Profile SS slide in gas range was $1387...$600 less than local stores. Great service, everything arrived on time and was packed well...no problems. Also got OTR MW and DW from them.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

Just wanted to add a bit about slide-ins. The GE I just purchased goes back flush against the wall, so no filler or countertop piece is needed behind it. Also, great deals at appliancesconnection.com.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

This Thursday my countertops and GE slide in will be installed. This GE too, as rocketmomkd's, is a slide in (induction). Its vent out the back and slightly deeper depth is making it function like a freestanding. This means no back bar - just pushed up against the pony wall in order to avoid excessive protruding.

I would have still purchased this oven but I wish I would have searched on the appliance forum first so I could have had a heads up. Didn't learn till template day that we needed to adjust / be flexible with how we will finish it off. We'll see in a few days.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

Anna- I'm looking forward to seeing pics of how your slide in fits with the counters. I've heard there are sometimes adjustments to be made. But, as you, I love my range and I would still have chosen it. I had to have a slide in since it's on a 42" pony wall. But mine doesn't have a back vent. It will have an island mount hood.

• Amy1204
    12 years ago

I bought a Kenmore in January on sale, so after delivery and install it was $1000. I am very happy with it, even though it is not a pro range. I love that it's power burners are actually power burners. The downfall is that the broiler is not great.
    I would have loved to get a Kenmore Elite. If you wait for a sale, I think you could get one for around $1200.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore 72903

• whisperingwillow
    12 years ago

I bought a Frigidaire gallery stove. I really love it. My favorite feature is the bottom rack attaches to the door so every time you open the door, the bottom rack slides out at the same time. It has a confection type setting and over all I am pleased with its performance. The drawback is that although Frigidaire has awesome stoves, the rest of the appliances are subpar. So if you are looking to match your SS well (assuming you are going with SS) frigidaire is hard to match other brands. Their SS is slightly darker due to the non fingerprint finish. Also their handles are made differently than other brands. It is a bow type handle but has a slight strip of shininess that almost looks like chrome in direct lighting. I have owned many Frigidaire appliances and did not realize their dishwashers and fridges get lots of complaints for failure. In a way I wish I would have researched this better because now I am in the need of a dishwasher and fridge. I have looked at many appliances and most don't seem to come close in SS finish.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

Yes, rocketmomkd, I'll post a picture, probably in a new thread to not hijack this one. But I will have an island hood too. We'll see...just hours away now.

• mdispensa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I should mention that the range will be gas and SS. I think I'll go with free standing with an over the range MW. Most showrooms had very few slide ins that I could actually look at.
    My top pick is the LG LRG3093St, even though I'm not a fan of the 5th burner.