Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

Cream and white kitchen

renov8r
10 years ago

Does anyone have photos of a cream and white kitchen. I am thinking of painting lower cabinets a cream and then the uppers and island in an off white. I am wondering if the cream will end up looking dirty with the off white. The walls will also be off white.

Comments (20)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Don't do it!!! It will look dirty or like a mistake. Don't ask how I know... Just do. Actually you can ask and I might be able to get pics just email.

Jen

• Kooops
    10 years ago

I think unless there is a good level of contrast, it will look like a mistake. I mean if you were to go with a grayish white and another color, it could look nice. What colors are you talking about when you say "cream" and "off-white"? The spectrum is so broad it could mean yellow and practically white- which then could look nice.

Without knowing the actual colors, it's really hard to say.

I do think 2 tone kitchens look nice, like this one for example

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Oakland Architects & Designers Lorin Hill, Architect

• renov8r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way sorry about the 2 threads - my mistake. I am thinking of cloud white for the 3 upper cabinets, island and back door closet, bench area and Farrow and Ball 2009 "Clunch" for the lower cabinets, tall pantry and fridge box, with a frosty carrina quartz counter and soft white crackle subway tiles.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Sounds pretty.
    Why don't you try a search on white and/or cream kitchens? Include a search on two-tone.

I think there needs to be a little more contrast on the bottom. Perhaps if the "Clunch" pulls out some of the veining in the marble?

What in the world is a "Clunch?"

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Clunch is clay, soft limestone or a layer of chalk, by various definitions.

I think that if there were high enough contrast between the two "whites" it would look intentional.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have Cloud White on all my cabinets and I really love it. It reads white overall, but it's actually quite creamy. I still have my original very white stove and that naturally emphasizes the creaminess of CW. Also light and shadows will play a big role. My CW look faintly green when light from neighboring foliage filters through.

The others are right that if you go creamier on the lowers you'd better make sure there is an obvious difference. Personally, I wouldn't do it. CW will give you all the creamy you need. If you want another color, go with something distinctly different.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of similar colours. I plan on having a white apron sink as well. It is hard to find anything with this colour combination.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

That's more like Cloud White on the bottom and something extremely white-white on the top. Cloud White will not give you that look up top, seriously.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the white looks quite white. I have some cloud white in my home too. Here is a photo of the samples I have. Cloud White is the larger door sample with Clunch the smaller one with the quartz and small samples of the subway tiles.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

It's really hard to tell what kind of color Clunch is in that light, but my question is why would you do that? I'd go for more contrast or I'd keep everything the same color.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Sorry to be so vocal here, but since you're considering my cabinet color I can speak with some experience. Cloud White gets along really well with other off-whites and creamy whites that do other things besides being cabinets. My backsplash and walls are different creamy whites, as are my pendant shades. Totally different materials and so they add texture and depth (layering) and get along quite well together. The trim running through my house is much whiter, but luckily there is none in the kitchen so it's not a factor.

Cloud White gets along well with my red oak floor and dark gray counter, as well as stainless appliances. It appreciates a pop of color here and there, including red and a cute, vintage-y yellow.

My kitchen is small so it can handle the same color top and bottom. Not sure I would ever go two-toned, but stained wood on the bottom would be my preference.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your honesty Linelle. I have a large older kitchen which includes a mud room area at the back door, stacked washer/dryer, island and kitchen cabinets. So I have alot of cabinets to be painted. I love white kitchens, but I thought it might be too much. My kitchen table is dark stained pedestal so I don't want to go with more dark wood, and I am getting oak flooring to match the rest of the house. So it was a consideration to have the more creamy cabinets on the bottom. Not many people on this board are liking it though. So maybe I will think some more on it.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Not a kitchen but I saw a house that had a lot of paneling and she ended up everything off white/cream and trim white - It looked rich & beautiful. I think the trick is get to get lots of chips in your house. Once you narrow it down to a few combinations you like buy the sample pots. All the shades of white will look different in different houses so what may be beautiful in one might not look right somewhere else.

• Kooops
    10 years ago

I actually like it from the picture you showed- but in the lighting its a little hard to tell. I think it could look pretty if there is just the right amount of contrast and the colors complement each other.

• lannegreene
    10 years ago

If you are looking for pictures you might try searching for white bathrooms. We went white for our bath remodel and at first I was obsessed at matching the white, tub, toilet, sink, hex floor tile, subway shower tile, trim, bead board,curtains. I learned I needed a range of whites to make the look work. Of the items listed only the tub and sink match (same brand). Also, the floor tile is actually more than one shade of white and that ties it all together. That is just my experience, something to think about.

• flying_c
    10 years ago

When you said cream and white, I thought of this picture. I love the look, and also the inspiration photo you posted above.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flying, I do like the look of your photo. where does it come from? I bought a pot of the clunch so I will work with it this weekend. I appreciate everyone's candor. If you kitchen gurus don't like it, then I will probably move on to another idea.
    Does anyone have any favourite colours that would look good with cloud white? I don't want to go stained wood, but other ideas are welcome.

• flying_c
    10 years ago

I'm afraid I don't know the details of the photo. I saw it on GW a few years ago and saved it since I liked it so much.

I'm hardly a guru, just a fan of the combo of cream and white. But IMHO the specific colors you have shown above may not achieve what you want them to. In both my photo and the inspiration you posted, the cream and white (a pretty stark white at that) are right next to each other, and I think that contrast is part of what makes the scheme work. Your concept of uppers and island off-white and lowers cream won't have the two colors coming into direct contact. Plus the quartz sample you've shown appears to match the Clunch color more than it does the Cloud White.

I think I'd either go for cream for all the cabs paired with a white quartz, or a whiter white for the uppers and a darker cream for the lowers and island and something else entirely (wood or a gray-black stone?) for the countertops.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

Well, here I am again. I redid my mid-fifties ranch kitchen. In my newly finished kitchen, I used a shade of off-white for upper cabinets and gray for lowers. I had the idea to use this combination originally, switched to all white, was afraid of how much dirt would show up on the lowers, decided to use a medium wood stain, just couldn't "see" it, and came full circle back to my original idea. (not the greatest picture) {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

When I was thinking of painting my cabinets, out of all the whites, I chose BM Cloud White. But now I know I need new cabinets as my cabinets are not good enough to pain and are over 20 years of age.