Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
discoganya_gw

River White or White Galaxy?

discoganya
14 years ago

Can't decide between the two. Any pics to share? Any thoughts?

(It will be matched with dark cabinets)

Thanks!

Comments (30)

• nansea
    14 years ago

bump

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm not familiar with these granites, but did you, by any chance, see this previous discussion about white granites?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on white granites

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi discoganya,

I would ask Jewel? She posted last month about white
    granites.

I love river white granite. It is a beautiful stone but I
    rarely see it. If I had to choose I would go for the white
    river. The movement adds a sense of artwork to the stone.
    I wish I had more pictures for you.
    ~boxer

White River or River White

White River granite from Marble and Granite co.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does anyone have River White or Monte Bello granite? pics please

• doraville
    14 years ago

I almost bought River White and it is very pretty. My vote is for it.

• km5tq
    14 years ago

Hi, wish I could be more help,but we still haven't gotten our granite yet. Still waiting for our contractor to get started with the cabinets...hopefully before April.
    My DH and I both love the White River. I'm waiting for bigger sample of that color. It should be here by the 15th of this month. I do have a small chip/sample of the Bianco Romano,Monte Bello and River White. Of the three small samples I have, the River White is the lightest and whitest color.

I'm including pics of the River White that comes from our slab yard. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with the River White...it's beautiful.

Good luck.

• km5tq
    14 years ago

Well, you have no idea i have had with trying to post this picture. I'm so mad I could whip a bear right now!!
    I just keep getting error messages because I have already posted a reply to this and it say's I need to change the subject. Hope this doesn't mess things up, but giving it a try.
    I must be eaten up with the dummies tonight. Never had this much problems posting a pic before.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh Jewel,
    I was so frustrated yesterday working on a photo project.
    Work related. Anyway I wanted to whip a bear too.
    I had to walk away and do something else and go back to
    it later. You have no idea how mad I was. If there had
    been a bear here I might have taken him on. : )

I soooo understand your frustration. Glad you were able
    to post.
    And forgive me forgetting about the granite. I knew
    you had an interest but could not remember if you had
    the white river installed. Looking forward to seeing
    the new slabs this week.
    ~boxer

• discoganya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. We are inclined a little more towards Galaxy, but it's never final until it's installed!

Galaxy seems to be "whiter", brighter and has a little bit of the brown in our cabinets.
    {{!gwi}}

River has a beautiful texture and movement, but seems to have too much gray. The plum dots don't match with the backsplash.
    {{!gwi}}

• sochi
    14 years ago

discoganya - not sure if you've looked at Luce di Luna quartzite (quartzite bianca), or if you like the linear movement or not, but some slabs are whiter than others, some greyer. It might be worth a look. The slab we have used, pictured below, is whiter towards the top and has some brown in it, it matches well with our walnut cabs.

The kitchen isn't finished yet unfortunately, so I don't yet have a good shot showing the cabs and the countertop, may have more this weekend.

• km5tq
    14 years ago

Feel better this morning. Boxerpup,good thing I didn't try to whip a bear last night because I would have lasted about as long as a paper sack in a bear fight.

This is the other pic I tried to post last night.

I like the Galaxy,too

• discoganya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sochi -- your kitchen is immaculate; straight out of a designer magazine! We are not too familiar with quartzite, but we made the decision to go with granite a couple of months ago :)

We are about 90% fixed on the galaxy -- given the extra brightness and lack of grays. The cabinets will be a dark java & the backsplash will be mosaic glass tiles (Walker Zanger Mantra Brown Tea mini-brick).

• discoganya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought I'd update this thread with progress so far:

River White Granite! River won over galaxy!
    Walker Zanger Mantra Mini-brick glass mosaic in "Cashew"

Cabinets to be stained this week... more updates to follow

Clearly, I'm not a photographer, so please bear with me:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks to everyone on this forum!

• doraville
    14 years ago

That river white is BEAUTIFUL! Great choice. I wish I had it.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love the River White! I also can't wait to see a picture of your cabinets stained. I will be looking for updates.

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

that looks really nice! Looking forward to your stained cabinets. You have lovely taste.

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

Very pretty!

• discoganya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, here are the pics after the cabs were stained. We went with a deep mahogany to coordinate with the tiles, granite and backsplash.
    The results have really exceeded our expectations. My contractor says that the shine of the top coat will tone down over the next few weeks.

Note: I have many skills, but photography is not one of them. So please excuse the crappy pics :)

The stain is really a dark brown/mahogany -- not black as seen in some of the pics. Here is a picture with the flash on -- shows some of the brown tones

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. You must be so pleased to see your vision come to fruition. Enjoy!

• barrelhead
    14 years ago

Looks great discoganya. Did you ever run across a granite called Kashmir White? It looks very similar to River White. Does anyone know if it is in fact the same (with different names)?

• nansea
    14 years ago

I WANT your granite, it is beauuuutifuuuul!
    great pics!

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks great! The stain! The countertops! The backsplash!

• tbsd
    13 years ago

Hi,

Beautiful!!! I'm really liking this granite. I have done a quick google search but can't seem to find dealers in Toronto that carry.

Anyone know where to find River White in Toronto?

Thanks!!!

• ashsdad
    13 years ago

Hi
    Can you please tell me the name of backsplash and who sells it in the USA

• ashsdad
    13 years ago

what finish do you have on the WZ tiles

• ashsdad
    13 years ago

I found out there is a WZ store near me, ordered my tiles should have them in a week.
    Thank you all for being so helpfull.............lol

• ctwoman
    13 years ago

Hi. I just renovated my kitchen and had River White installed. I originally wanted marble, but was afraid of staining and etching. Maybe when the kids are older. I do love the River White, though! Please take a look at the link for lots of pictures of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My white kitchen

• PRO
    A Lasting Impression
    9 years ago

I've been looking at these two myself, and have used White Galaxy on a client's kitchen. I find that River White can have a lot of burgundy spots in it, and it you don't want that burgundy, you really have to carefully choose the particular piece. With White Galaxy, you have to be very careful that it doesn't have too many bit black splotches that look like ink spills. Find a slab source that has a lot in stock, so you can get the prettiest pieces.

• mailemailtoday
    7 years ago

where I can find river white or Kashmir white granite floor tiles

• practigal
    7 years ago

To a lasting imoression's advice I would add, be careful, each yard tends to have different name for what is obviously the same granite....use all of your common sense and ask many questions!