Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you like your vanity top or island to be a night light?

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 23:07

There are a number of natural stones that allow significant transmission of light even in 3CM material.

This attribute has been used for many years in very high end applications. Recent developments have made it somewhat more affordable.

Historically the backlighting was provided by neon, flourescent, or even incandescent lighting. The heat from the lights and the need for service access created considerable design and cost issues.

Today there are low voltage DC light sources typically LED's with a service life of 25,000+ hours. No heat issues. On some a dimmer can also be used.

THis is an extraordinarily beautiful way to use natural stone. It's often used for vanity tops but also for island or bar tops. We have also done full height backsplash with backlighting.

This takes considerable coordination between the fabricator, cabinet builder, GC, and electricians but it is something special.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you like your vanity top or island to be a night li

Pictures, please!

o

Sounds cool. I also would love to see it. I've seen a few cool modern homes posted here that I could picture a glowing island in, but in my middle class, super small, cape cod-style home -- notsomuch.

o

I've seen it done with onyx and it looks really neat, especially in restaurants that are high end. Very lux. Would love to see photos of what you have in mind.

o

Seen it in restaurants too. I wouldn't like it as a night light. Seems too commercial, but that's just me. And those restaurants shut the thing off after the closed sign goes up!

I do like little night lights tucked behind furniture that make a corner glow, so you can see after the main lights are shut off. Night lights provide safety.

Suzi

o

I saw the Toto sink that had the LEDs - way cool but decided I could either buy the sinks or a bathroom. - So we are going with a bathroom.
Hopefully the cost will come down in time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here