Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucretzia_gw

Help before I ruin my almost finished kitchen

lucretzia
14 years ago

Kitchen is evolving very differently than originally anticipated for various reasons. For instance the quartzite backsplash had a toxic melling backing so I decided against it. Went full circle and have decided to use soapstone. Went with Italian porcelan instead of wood. And my cabinets came out much more yellow than I expected (instead of the cream I had thought they would look like).

Went to Walkers Zanger today in NYC and they recommended a terracotta backsplash with a glazed finish in a 4x4 or 2x6 subway.

Here are pictures of the things I have already chosed (cabinets, counter, floor) and I have chosen a stainless sink and Rohl Country brished nickel faucets; cabinets are Shaker style. The faucet is in front of windows and will not have backsplash behind it.

What are your thoughts on this backsplash and the cabinet hardware finish and style.

Pictures of the various components...

Natural Light

Flash Light

Comments (39)

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I think it will look gorgeous!!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

what's what? is the bottom one your fl*ooring? are the 2 tiles below the ylw square the BS? what's to the right of them?
    what's the pattern in the upper right corner?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

The backsplash looks the same color as the floor...Is that accurate? I'm not sure I'd want that, but it's your kitchen, and it's most important that it's what you love and have dreamed of. Do you want a monochromatic color scheme or something with more color/more input? Do you have a clear vision or mission statement for your kitchen that you can remind us of? I know I should remember your plans, because I know you've discussed it in threads I've participated in, but I only remember you liking Elizpiz's cabinet color... I think...

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

That color works well for your flooring because it grounds your kitchen and allows other elements to stand out. For that same reason (in my circular way of thinking) it does not work for your backsplash. That color placed on a wall does nothing to highlight your soapstone. In fact, I think it drabs it out. What is that delft like pattern in the corner? WHat color patterns/fabrics/accessories do you have in your home?

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The bottom is the floor, which IRL is a very pretty textured limestone imitation porcelain. And yes, it is similar to the tile color, but not exact. Above the soapstone are two 4x4 tiles and one 2x5. I would choose one size or the other. The cabinets turned out beautifully, except for the color. (that is painful, but I refuse not to like them after spending all this money.) The patch of blue and white is the sheet DH placed everything on. Sorry!

I will have several glass cabinets and I have alot of Mediterranean sort of dishes in lots of different colors - french ones with a quimper look, gold, blue and white, portugese platters, Emile Henry serving dishes in blue, red. I have bold hand painted pottery cannisters in the same sort of colors Sounds hodge podgy but I think all this stuff goes together. Also sounds like I can't restrain myself! But, these things can go elsewhere and don't have to dictate the space. The kitchen will be open to the family room. My house was built in the 1930's and is painted in warm colors of monroe bisgue, philadelphia cream and abington putty. I have oriental rugs, lots of mahogany and cherry furniture, botanicals. Very traditional.

I always dreamed of a Christopher Peacock kitchen and thought that was the route I was going originally. I could probably achieve that with a calacutta gold marble backsplash with what else is going on, but it seems a bit dressy and cold next to my family room. I love the plain english kitchens. I like simplicity in a kitchen and not alot of adornment in terms of cabinet and backsplash detailing. I love Elizpiz's kitchen. In fact, it's curious that Remodelfa says the backsplash would drab out the soapstone, because as I look at it, it seems the color of Elizpiz's cabinets and IRL seems to go great with it. But the look overall...???

Does any of this help? Or does it just explain that I am all over the map?

Thank you all for your input and patience.

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I posted another thread with picture for those who wanted to see the cabinets I had made by Jacob of the Oxford Cabinet Shop. Perhaps this can help in your responses. I do love the floor with it, though you can't see it here.

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am sorry to keep posting this; I am wondering if anyone can assist me or follow up to their original responses. So far, my cabinets and floors look great. Soapstone counter and stainless ticor sinks going in this week.

Can you give me feedback on the above tile choice, or a possible alterntive of calacutta marble backsplash behind stove only, with wide plank wainscotting elsewhere on the L. For the hutch, I was thinking of a cupboard style panel in the color of the cabinet. For this alternative idea, I was thinking of oversized dark stained wooden knobs on all the cabinets. The other option is to use 3x6 calacutta subway on all of the backsplash.

I am in paralysis and taking too long for all the decisions. Thank you in advance!!

Here's a link to the pictures...
    Lucretzia's kitchen cabinets from Jacob

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I think it's very difficult to judge because both photos look pretty odd, at least on my monitor. The top photo is extremely yellow, while everything in the second photo is very pink. To be honest, the combination I see does not look terribly appealing. I think your cabs look extremely nice (what's wrong with the color? Too yellow? Too pink? I can't tell). And soapstone is beautiful. But the backsplash color, from the photos, at least, looks way, way too drab to me. Don't like.

• amberley
    14 years ago

lucretzia- Are you considering a wainscot backsplash? After MUCH back and forth, I decided to do a wider beadboard backsplash all the way across mine, and I LOVE IT. It is perfect, and fits in SO well with my soapstone and overall English look I am going for.

I included the link to my thread with my design choice pics- scroll way down to see the in-progress pics that have the backsplash (nothing is painted yet, so it looks hodgepodgey) and my (unoiled) soapstone. We have butcher block going on the parts that are currently open.

Here is a link that might be useful: preview of some of my design choices thread

• daisychain01
    14 years ago

My advice is to wait until all the other elements are in and you can get a feel for your kitchen. Don't choose a splash now - even if your contractor is pushing.

I love the idea of calacutta with the colour of your cabs and the wide plank will probably look good, but I still say wait until the counter is in.

I love the large wooden knobs, but I'm not sure with your cabs. Maybe, but I'm kinda of getting a daintier vibe from your kitchen.

Keep posting photos. When is the soapstone going in?

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amberley, I saw your post the other day and everything is gorgeous! I was going to go with that faucet, but too expensive, so going with the one I call "intestinal" looking. :-)
    I also have that secretary. Love the hardware on your cabinet. Was thinking of that for the kitchen, but I am grubby fingers when I cook.

Daisychain, you make a point that I am considering - to wait. How do people decide all these decisions together? Must be having a great mind's eye like Amberley. Regarding the calacutta, how is that to take care of behind a stove?

Marcolo, IRL the color goes nicely with the soapstone, but my concern is it too matching with floor? I figure the designers at a place like WalkerZanger should know what they are talking about - they have suggested it, but there must be something about it I am unsure about.

So, here are two inspiration pics where I got the idea of the big knobs (watch what you say). And the one with the multicolored arts and crafts backsplash is from WalkerZanger and actually from the same series as the one I have displayed above with my soapstone and cabinet sample. In the photo from the magazine, the tiles are beveled and I think it is too much color to use all of them or the beveled edging. The salespeople at WZ recommended the 4x4 or 2x5 above as the best color, and actually it was from their selection.

So, please keep the feedback coming and I do not believe I will make a decision till the backsplash is in (by the end of the week).

Many, many thanks!!!

• amberley
    14 years ago

lucretzia- you are so sweet! Thanks for your kind words on both of your posts!

I have a book that has the first couple of pics in it. Beautiful kitchen. I think that the star in your kitchen is the cabinetry, and secondly the soapstone. I think going with something subtle, but still beautiful and complementary will work best. The colored tile I think is just too much, especially if you want to go the more "plain english" route. Plus, I think that with all of your Quimper, etc. it would be a better backdrop.

• petepie1
    14 years ago

What about a handmade tile look (from Trikeenan, Sonoma, Heath, Pratt & Larson)? creamy off white/yellow would blend with the cabinets. Or you could add some color with a green or bluish tone.

Trikeenan:
    {{!gwi}}

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Grooving on the knobs, big time. I always wanted those in a kitchen; I've seen original old butlers' pantries with white cabinets and wooden knobs in a big estate house, and they were fantastic. Make sure you look for traditional English "mushroom" knobs; it's what they're called.

• sochi
    14 years ago

I second the vote for waiting - there is no panic, get all your elements in and take your time making the decision. There are just so many decisions to make, don't rush.

That said, I love the tile that petepie1 just posted - boxerpups posted that recently on another thread, it is wonderful.

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amberley,
    Maybe you described what it is (I think) I'm working towards. Yes, I think you're right about the soapstone and cabinets. And, I actually love the floor, which isn't easy to see in the pics. It's not natural stone, but it's a great porcelain with a very earthy look. So, I guess I don't want to detract from these things. The WZ tile under consideration isn't the multi- colored tile, but just one of the colors in an unbeveled 4x4. It would actually work with all my stuff, but maybe the problem I am having is that I feel it fights with or detracts from the floor, more than anything, because it's a pretty color in person with the soapstone.

My problem is liking so many different things. Love the french look too!! Yikes.

So in terms of beautiful and complementary, I think you mentioned liking the idea of the wainscotting. Would you add the bit of marble behind the stove with it?

Thank you!

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Neat backsplash, petepie. Looks glossy. I actually walked into WZ with a glossy handmade subway tile and they emphasized the alternative in the pics.

Knowing me, I will wait until at LEAST the backsplash is in.

Thanks everybody!

• littlesmokie
    14 years ago

lucretzia-I've followed some of your previous posts and while not an "expert" I think I share some of your design aesthetic.

My first thoughts were similar to a few comments I read above. Like petiepie1, I was thinking a handmade backsplash tile in a tone that matches your cabinets. I think your soapstone and the lines of your cabinets are the stars here-I think amberley also said that? I wouldn't match your backsplash to your flooring, but to your cabinet color, to emphasize the design and to showcase your soapstone. No disrespect to the good folks at WZ, but I wouldn't doubt your eye/gut just bc they suggested you match the floor tile.

I know many people do marble/soapstone-I've considered it endlessly myself-but I keep coming back to letting one or two things really sing and letting everything come together around it. But I do think a T&G backsplash would be nice as well, particularly if you're going with the chunky wood knobs. But I think I like the additional texture/interest the handmade tile might provide.

Of course it's very likely that I'm projecting my choices onto you ;)

Just want to tell you I love seeing your kitchen come together.

• amberley
    14 years ago

I went back and forth about doing something different- decided to hang an antiqued mirror. For yours, your range is much more of a focal point with the wood hood, and the size. I think something different behind the range would add to that.

I love that marble, but is it referenced anywhere else in the space? I feel like it might look off it was only behind the range and didn't show up on a piece of the counter, or elsewhere.

What about doing a "hearth" type backsplash or "rangeback"- maybe doing herringbone tiles is a color similar to the wall color (I am not sure if you said what was in the kitchen- but I love your other BM colors!).

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm not 'feeling' marble with your descriptions and inspiration pics. I think your gut instinct may be right about it being too dressy or otherwise not right. Is there a tile like the ones you show above, but more in a match with your cabinet color? It may just be the pictures that aren't doing it justice and it may do just what you want. I see now that you do want a monochromatic and simple elegance to back up your dishware, and think that's a great idea. I think the stone might have more warmth than the beadboard, but either could work.

BTW, I've just checked your other thread, and LOVE the color of your cabinets. I thought you'd wanted the color Elizpiz had, so am surprised you wanted/expected lighter. I think the color you have has much more personality and depth of character. I think it's a better counterbalance for the colorful dishes.

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for these comments. I didn't mean to say that WZ said to match the tile with the floor - it just ends up pretty similar, but with a different texture. The tiles have a handmade look with slightly different tonal variations. Maybe once I have the soapstone in, I can retake the pics so you get a better look. The tile is a bit darker than the cabinets, but is in the same tones. Sounds like you all think it should be a tad lighter.

I still like the original idea, which was a quartzite backsplash in either the 3x6 subway, or 1x3 subway. I used the same colorway in a hexagon on the powder room floor and love it. However, the 3x6 had way too mnay garrish colors, so that I would have had to add an additional 30-40% to the order. So I went with the 1x3 on the mesh; the color was pretty but they had a terrible smell from the backing, so I decided against. The smell is dissipating on the sample, but now that I have decided soapstone, the color of the tile seems too pastel. Maybe I will ask DH to photograph the powder room, the 1x3's, and the WZ tile after soapstone.

I feel like a pain the neck. (I am) but thank you! All the feedback is great.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I love where you are now and where you're headed with your kitchen. I think you've got a good vision and are well on your way to making it a reality.

In terms of your backsplash, the 'mission statement' words that come to my mind (that it ought to be) are 'warm, soft, nurturing, welcoming, casual but elegant, and tactile' -- So IMO, that would make either marble or glass a mistake -- marble would be too 'cold' and glass would be too 'hard'. So I think terra cotta would be just right --

As to matching the floor --
    Unless your floor is 'Wow!' -- it will naturally fade into the background. (Do you notice the color of the soil outside? Generally not - you notice the flowers.) So unless your eye is drawn to the floor (which it doesn't seem like yours will be), then the backsplash will be seen with the countertops and cabinets.

In conclusion -- If the colors work well in real life (can't really tell on my momitor) I think the WZ tile is a great choice. For pattern, I'd be inclined to go with simple 4x4's set on a diagonal -- a very simple, classic pattern that could have been done in any era. While I love subways (have them myself), they do seem to be so popular right now that they could 'date' your kitchen down the road.

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great input Sweeby and your definition sounds right on!!
    I also thought the same about the subway and considered the 4x4 in a brick, though diamond is also nice.

Wonder if the large dark knobs work with the terra cotta or if things should be a little quieter, like with the same brushed nickel as on the faucets.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Oh, I really like the idea of the 4x4 in a brick pattern, but I am just not an 'on the diagonal' person...and wasn't really liking the 4x4's until you mentioned the brick pattern. I also think, though, that if the 'subway's are brick shape and size, that it's a classic/timeless look, too...Especially in the solid color that blends with the cabinets. The quartzite, actually, might have been something that dated it after awhile.

• amberley
    14 years ago

I actually think the wood knobs ARE quieter with your choices than nickel. Remember you can always paint them to match- a very nice look for a kitchen like yours- and they would be very subtle. I still like the stained wood. Especially if you stick with the terracota or do some sort of wainscot or a combo.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Confused because I thought the W-Z people recommended terra cotta, which those tiles are not.

Are you interested in terra cotta? If so, are you going for a real ye Olde English look?

If so, you can go for a look like this

or this

{{!gwi}}

especially behind a range, from Ken Mason Tile.

Or for a more Arts & Crafts take on the same idea, try Medieval Animals from Motwai.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I like the wood knobs better, too. Beefier, earthier, more grounded...Less flashy and trendy than nickel. Dark and/or large, visually heavy knobs seem to be a mainstay in your inspiration pics. Painting, as Amberley suggested as an option, them wouldn't take away from that if they're large enough and if you'll prefer it. Not necessary, though, I don't think.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

On the knobs, I think wood would definitely be 'warmer' than satin nickel, and that either painted or stained would work, depending on whether you need more or less contrast. (I might worry about light-painted knobs looking dirty after a while.) For metals, polished nickel or aged pewter would be warmer-looking and hard-wearing as well -- I've found a certain amount of 'not matching' in color or material is actually fine so long as the mood is right.

There are several different shades of terra cotta, many of them lighter than these. Here are some of WZ's

These two from WZ Casablanca line:
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

From WZ's Alhambra line:
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

The Contessa tile is also gorgeous! (but show-stealing):
    I can only get one picture of those, and not in the more subtle patterning I'd suggest for your space (check the Online Catalog)

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice examples and suggestions, all. And, my sample above is actually the Walker Zangar Alahambra Adobe color. That color worked the best with my cabinets, as we all found the lighter one too pink. It is so funny you suggested it! I wonder if the hexagon you show on the right is not the same color as I have. Maybe it's the right thing after all.

You guys are the best!

• amberley
    14 years ago

marcolo- I just drool over Ken Mason tile. OHHHH!! SO SO beautiful.

lucretzia- I would do the BS first, and then sit back and take it in for a few days and then decide on the knobs. I really like the darker contrast wood ones the best -but maybe that is because what I am doing ;).

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I wonder if the dark large knobs would look heavy with the soapstone. Close your eyes and conjure it up - I can't!!

• petepie1
    14 years ago

Have you seen the Barbara Barry collection for Ann Sacks? I like this diamond and oval pattern (I am sure it is not cheap), but maybe do a field in the regular Ann Sacks tile, and these rhomboids for accent?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Maybe Emerald Pearl granite knobs would look like your soapstone.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    14 years ago

lucretzia, for my own cream-colored English kitchen in the planning stages, I'm still wavering between dark stained wood mushroom knobs and pewter or zinc knobs and cup pulls (I have cup pulls in my kitchen now and love the look), like the ones at Lee Valley below. LV is a Canadian company -- I'm in Alberta -- so there may be something similar and cheaper in the US.

Those Barbara Barry tiles are gorgeous, petepie! Thank goodness for my budget we are in the boonies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley's pewter knobs

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    14 years ago

lucretzia, for my own cream-colored English kitchen in the planning stages, I'm still wavering between dark stained wood mushroom knobs and pewter or zinc knobs and cup pulls (I have cup pulls in my kitchen now and love the look), like the ones at Lee Valley below. LV is a Canadian company -- I'm in Alberta -- so there may be something similar and cheaper in the US.

Those Barbara Barry tiles are gorgeous, petepie! Thank goodness for my budget we are in the boonies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley's pewter knobs

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gorgeous knobs and gorgeous Barbara Barry tile. I'm afraid to find out the price of those tiles. I had a pretty glossy subway from Artistic and it was $28 sq. ft. No way!

I'm gonna look anyway! Thanks!

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For those of you using oversized knobs, how large do you recommend? They come in something like 1 5/16 and even 2."
    It seems to take a bit of nerve to go the big knob route.

• wdstkdaisy
    14 years ago

lucretzia, I happen to love the color of your cabinets - I'm glad your planning to find a way to love them too :) I happen to like the terracota backsplash w/your other choices - and like that you trust your gut w/colors and materials the way you do - it will work out beautifully, I think.

You're getting great recommendations for hardware - I found mine at Te Ma (by accident) looking online - turns out this small company is within 10 miles of my house (I'd no idea) and so I was able to take advantage of a their factory sale. I've a sense you might find their hardware attractive.

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wdstkdaisy, they have incredible hardware on that site. Reminds me of some of the things at Anthropologie, though I'm sure these are much nicer quality. I especially love the playful pewter items in the closeout and the murano glass. Thank you so much.

You live in one of the most gorgeous areas! I love it up there.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH