Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viking Appliances? Yes No?

Posted by acw6455 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 23:03

Hello to everyone! I am new here so please forgive me if I am posting to the wrong forum!

I am re-doing my kitchen appliances and here are the appliances I am interested in. ( prices reflect quotes done by appliance store ) Please voice your opinions as I am not familiar with appliances and I do not want to make a mistake in buying a bad brand.

VCFF136SS 36" French Door(no ice maker) $3590

VDSC5304BSS 30" Dual fuel range $4840

VWH3010SS 30" Wall Hood W/21 10"H $990

VWCI1240GRSS 24" Wine center $2620

VDB40SS 24" PRO DW $980 ( they gave me 750 off )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viking Appliances? Yes No?

Post this in the Appliance forum. They have definite favorites and personal/professional experience to share. Then, you will feel more confident in your choices.

A big thing, though, is not choosing an entire line but picking the best performing appliance that meets your needs from each line available and in your price range.

I have no experience with this line, but my friend had poor luck with the refrigeration products from Viking.

The following is a bit of what I've gleaned.

Fridge- Sub-Zero and Liebherr are popular for their performance and configurations. Electrolux has some fans. I have the all fridge Icon and I love it.

Cooking- Wolf, Thermador, Gaggenau, Miele and Bosch rank high overall for cooking appliances. Capital Culinarian and Electrolux gets good marks from some owners who post on that forum, as well. The views will vary depending on range, cooktop, and oven so it's a good idea to focus in on the type your interested in getting. Pay attention to the induction owners. There are pros and cons for all types of "burners". I'm pretty much sold on induction to replace my current cooktop after being a die-hard gas fan.

Hood- Haven't paid attention since my ceiling height and island cooktop limit me.

DW- Miele and Bosch are favorites. I have a Bosch 800 series and it's wonderful. Very energy efficient, great cleaning, very quiet. LOVE it.

Good luck and remember that it's function that will make you happy in the long run. Matching is not important.

o

The only people I ever hear talking about Viking today are realtors. Not one person I know who cooks and wanted a quality appliance ever allowed them into consideration.

o

Thank You both for your input! I was thinking about going with the Bosch dishwasher, but I hadn't done very much research on the brand. Have you had many issues with it?

o

I've not had any issues with my DW, but it's only been a year. The only thing that you may or may not care about is that plastics aren't completely dry at the end of the cycle. Opening the door when the cycle is complete helps in the drying process, but I usually have to put tupperware type things in the dish drainer or leave them in the dishwasher until dry.
Oh, and baked on food requires a good hand scrubbing, so I don't put those in there. I understand that Miele has a function for this.

I don't rinse the dishes, just scrape. I use half of a Finish tab (use the ball half for the bigger/dirtier load), and something like Jet-dry is necessary. Mine also has a water softener (our water is horrible) so I buy a salt product for dishwashers from Amazon.

o

I much prefer open burners.

Th older viking 30 inch deual fule was available that way, it appears to be no longer offered.

Sealed burnersmay appear easre to clean, till you have to clean the stove top in place after a messy spill.

The open burner stoves come apart into small sections that can be taken to the sink for cleaning, along with the spill tray under everything.

The only thing that must be cleaned in place are the rails holding the burners underneath everything, and the hidden wiring and gas lines feeding the burners.

Everything that shows is sink cleanable.

o

I have had nothing but trouble with my Viking hood since day one. I am very upset I paid so much for it and how crummy it ended up being. I've had 4 service calls to repair/remake parts for it. Can't say anything about their ranges though.

o

I think the appliance forum will put you off Viking. I had to laugh at marcolo's post because as a realtor myself, I thought Viking was the best until I read the appliance forum. Now, I bite my lip when I see them in a kitchen, lol.
We have a Bosch dw for almost a year now and love it thoroughly. I leave it open for a bit after it runs to dry things, but I always preferred to do it that way and not waste energy....

o

i'm also in the decide mode regarding our appliances. I was absolutly going to have a Viking range, dual fuel although I'm doing 36" but the oven put me off. compared to the GE Monogram oven, it's small, much smaller. The GE also has 3 rolling racks, compared to the Viking's one and they are self cleaning so you can leave them in the oven during the self clean mode. Also, if the Viking fridge you're considering is a free standing you should know that it's made my Kitchen Aid. Viking makes their own built in's but not the free standing. I choose the Electrolux based on my needs and wants. It's counter depth FD. I didn't research the DW since I had decided on the Miele so I offer no opinion there. Range hoods are confusing. I gave that decision up to DH since we have install issues to deal with and so many call for a ten inch duct, won't work for us. Good luck, it's confusing but you will do just fine.

o

Refrig: Since viking free standing refrigerators are made by Kitchen Aid, are the Kitchen Aid's good?

DW: I found that Asko makes Viking's dishwashers. I thought that Asko's were top of the line?

Range: People have been saying that the range is an accident
waiting to happen. Why is that?

Thank you all for your support!

o

I have a Viking range hood insert in our custom hood. I'm not impressed. It's very loud and it doesn't draw well at all. I would not buy it again.

(I love my Wolf range and Bosch dishwasher though).

o

Have you had many problems with it? Besides the noise?

o
Take a look at this Viking thread

Below is a link to Viking owner's thread and their opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viking owners from Appliance forum

o

NO! Run away, dont walk.

o

I thought KitchenAid fridges were made by Whirlpool. I'm planning to get one.

o

KitchenAid is owned by Whirlpool - it's their high-end line and they are very good fridges.

o

acw6455, the range hood doesn't draw well. To me, that's a huge issue, since that's what I bought it to do. A range hood that doesn't suck, well, sucks. On the other hand, it hasn't broken. I guess that's something.

o

Arlosmom>
Oh! I see what you mean now. I think I am going to go with this:

Viking range
Viking refrig free standing ( made by Kitchen Aid )
Viking DW ( Made by asko)
Hood Don't know yet
Microwave: Viking built in
Wine: Viking

o
Not Asko and KA

From what I understand, Asko isn't involved anymore. Viking makes their own DW.

Isn't the fridge made by Amana?

o

you might also want your hood to be a little larger than your range. for a 36", you probably want to go with a 42". Just something to consider...

o

why wouldn't you search out the very best brands for each appliance? i have a hard time understanding why most of my friends own a range that costs thousands more than my capital, and is an inferior product. i've never owned a viking anything. mostly because i've done too much homework. but do check on the appliance forum ...and good luck!

o

I put a Viking dual-fuel in my last kitchen. It was beautiful. But it took forever to boil a pot of water, stir-fries were a joke- never got hot enough, the oven was horribly uneven, and it had some weird sparking problem which turned out to be a short which threatened to burn the house down. It was a $4k dud. Sad to say, the old Kenmore which was in the house we moved into worked much better. It was too bad, because that Viking was good looking. And, lol, because of the comments about realtor, it definitely helped sell that house.

It really turned me off professional-style stoves since the Kenmore could bake 3 cookie sheets perfectly, water boiled in minutes, its high-powered burner was great for stir-fries, and it never tried to burn the house down.

o
who knows

Maybe they won't get a lot of use :)

You can always find a bad review for a product, but when 9 out of 10 are bad, for example the range, it's time to look at other options.

o

I wouldn't pay more for a Viking fridge over a KA. KAs are very fine fridges, and Viking gets HORRID fridge reviews. I bought a built-in KA for slightly less than the Viking fridge price you quote. This is my third KA (left one with the first house and replaced a smaller, older one from the old kitchen), and I highly recommend them.

I've never heard of anyone happy with a Viking DW.

If you really have to have a DF range, go with Wolf. Reviews are miles ahead with Wolf. Wolf ovens are top of the line.

o

Well you asked, we spoke, you didn't listen. Best of luck, can't figure out why you think your experience will be better.

o

Hello all,

We renovated our kitchen last summer which included all new appliances.
I purchased a Viking dual wall oven (electric) and gas rangetop.
I cook seven nights a week and am an avid baker and love both appliances. My only complaint about the rangetop is that the black "pan" under the burners tends to show every little speck of dust.
The ovens are great. It does take longer for them to preheat than my old standalone oven but they are also larger inside and out.
Haven't second guessed myself at all.

o

Moved into an existing home six months ago with Viking gas stove, hood and frig. I love all of them. I am especially impressed with the hood. It has metal baffles instead of a metal mesh and it is so easy to clean.

o

I always agree with, "where there's smoke, there's fire," but you do have to consider that Viking is by far the largest of the "Professional" components brands. So, by sheer numbers, they'll have more complaints. Make no mistake, they all have complaints. Some facts from a very good source: (1) only consider the very top Viking dishwasher model (VDB450E, I believe). The others have known issues and aren't very good at drying. (2) The standalone fridges are actually Amana, which is part of Whirlpool which also owns Kitchenaid, Jenn-Air, and Maytag among others.

o

Im considering the GE Cafe line...very restaraunt style line...and its a GE...they also offer a dual fuel Range....

o

I have read a lot of bad reviews, but I have also read A LOT of good ones too. So I I think I might go with my original viking plan.

My appliance dealer told me the same thing about the dishwasher.
Wish me luck! I will be posting pictures of my new kitchen soon!

o

lipstick on a pig, but the go to brand if you cannot afford the red knobs.

o

I had a viking 36" bottom freezer refrigerator that was nothing but a problem. After two years of service calls, they replaced it as a lemon and guess what, the new freezer had the same problem. It didn't drain when it defrosted so you had ice build up in the bottom of the freezer. If you are spending that much on a fridge, you might as well spend a little more and get one that doesn't have a history of problems. Or spend a little less and not go with the professional name.

o

acw6455 - just wondering why you're so married to Viking appliances. I've hung out on this forum and the appliance forum for a long time and while it's true that every brand gets good and bad reviews, Viking has had more than it's share of complaints, particularly on it's ranges and refrigerators and on it's poor customer service.

While the company may have turned around some, there's no way I would consider buying Viking appliances at all. I would also not buy Miele wall ovens (though all of their other products get rave reviews) nor would I buy KA ranges or ovens although I do own a KA fridge and DW both of which are excellent.

In the price range in which you're talking, you'd do much better with Sub-Zero fridge, Wolf range, and Miele DW but hey, it's your money - you're free to buy what you want.

o

I am baffled by this as well...there are other options for the money.

Although not duel fuel, I would buy the Capital or Bluestar open burner range over a Viking any day and give up the duel fuel. Both are less than the Viking. The Capital Precision is $1500 less and has open burners, more power - a wok burner - and a rotisserie.

The Wolf (again not duel fuel) is only $65 more than the Viking and a better product.

Wolf also has a promo going on now if you buy multiple products. SubZ and Wolf might be in the same range with the up to $2500 instant rebate.

Have you looked at Capital, Bluestar or Wolf???

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital and Bluestar

o

Slight correction to Michelle's post. The Capital Precision has sealed burners. The Capital Culinarian has open burners.

o
RE:: Viking Appliances? Yes No?

Thanks Breezy...I just caught that and did mean to say, closed burners like the Viking! Even so, far better than a Viking - IMHO.

Cheers....

o

I hate these kinds of threads. If you aren't going to listen to opinions, then why post in the first place? There is a subset of people who post not to actually learn and gain insight, but rather hoping to have other people pat them on the head and tell them they made the right choice. Fifty people could say "that's a terrible decision," and one says "great idea" and the OP walks away saying "see, I made the right choice."

I think the OP is listening more to the appliance salesman (a highly unbiased source LOL) than to the posters here. I'm a steadfast believer in diversity when it comes to kitchen appliances (lacanche, miele, thermador, Uline, bosch, panasonic, modern aire/fantech in ours). An all viking kitchen--boring!

o

My Viking AG range was a lemon right out of the box when they installed it on a Friday. The ignitors were the problem. They repair guy came out on Monday and had it fixed in 10 minutes. Seems there was a polarity issue with the wiring inside the range. I've had no problems with it since the repair. Granted, it's only been a few weeks, but it's working perfectly at the moment. I have to say that it is a pleasure to cook on this range as compared to my old one, but it's my first professional range experience and I'm sure other pro brands are just as nice to cook on.

If I had the range to do over again, I would get the Wolf range instead. I understand that all companies have lemons, however, due to the fact that my Viking range was a lemon right out of the box, my confidence is shaken in their range products and I live in constant fear that my Viking range is going to malfunction. My advice to potential Viking range owners is to spend the small amount of extra money it will cost and get the Wolf range.

I also own a Viking vent hood and drawer microwave. I like both of those products and only have minor complaints about them. The vent hood is a bit noisy, but again, it's my first experience with pro appliances and I'm not used to having a higher CFM blower. It works well. The microwave annoys me because I can't cook something and use the timer function at the same time like I used to do with my cheap Whirlpool OTR micro. If I had those two purchases to do over again, I would probably have spent less and bought the Sharp drawer since the Viking is made by Sharp anyway (I DID know that before I purchased it). I bought the Viking drawer because I didn't want the handle on the outside, but now that I have it installed, I find myself wishing I had a handle on the outside. On the vent, I'm not sure if another brand would be any less noisy, but the salesperson recommended the Vent-A-Hood over the Viking, said it was a better product and it was cheaper too. The vent decision was based on vanity. There, I said it! I wanted the Viking name on the vent hood over my Viking range. [shrug]

My advice overall to anyone buying appliances is to do your homework before buying and buy the best appliance you can afford for each item. As others have stated, I would not recommend buying a suite of appliances that are all the same brand. No one company makes the best of every type of appliance. My appliance purchasing plan was NOT to buy all Viking appliances and still isn't. When I replace my DW and refrigerator they will not be Viking products.

o

The good news is at least you didn't get the VAH hood. I really don't like those!

and kudos for admitting the vanity aspect of the purchase. we all have some (I love my little oval Lacanche insignia on my range) but are usually not honest enough to admit it.

o

Interesting on the VAH. The salesperson really tried to get us on board with that. I wondered if there was something in it for her. Why don't you like VAH?

o

I guess the post wasn't really a question of whether to purchase them or not. The PO is probably really excited about the suite, the name, the look and had no idea that the general attitude wouldn't be "Ahhhhhh! Love Viking!" and is instead "Oh noooo, not Viking!"

I really hope you don't have any trouble with them OP. I would be incensed if my several-thousand-dollar appliance wasn't wonderful from the get-go.
I can't imagine being in Sugarcookies shoes. I hope all goes well from here on out.

o

Viking really needs to somehow improve their reputation in these circles...I am not sure how(or even if) they can do it.

To the OP - I really hope you are happy with your purchases, and I also really hope that if you ARE happy you post here again at suitable intervals to tell everybody. We need some solid, recent, first hand information on here about how Viking is doing.

We ourselves are waiting to install a Viking induction range, hood/blower, and dishwasher. I have to say that given the prevailing opinions here, I was really hesitant to go with Viking...I wrote them off early on, as simply not worth the risk. We ended up with them after all only because we decided on induction instead of gas, and they are the only ones who do a colored induction range for NA, and that was really important to my DW. The hood is viking only so it can be colored and match the range perfectly; I am dead sure I could have gotten a better hood elsewhere, so I am pretty much just hoping it is at least adequate. The DW is a slightly different story, in that looking at it I was actually really impressed by the construction; it felt way better built than Asko or Bosch, and sturdier if less refined than Miele...I still probably would have bought a Miele, based simply on reputation, but we got a screaming deal on the Viking so I decided to risk it. Time will tell if it was a good or bad choice, I guess.

It seems to be pretty undeniable that Viking has had some real quality issues in the past. It also seems, however, like Viking has been actively trying to address those concerns and not getting a lot of credit for their efforts. They have fixed some known issues (for example, changing suppliers on their induction burners, and changing to laser etched lettering that won't rub off on their ranges and cooktops), and they increased their warranties across the board not all that long ago. Despite that, all you seem to hear about are the past problems, and repeated warnings of horrible quality from people who usually have never actually owned anything they made.

The only way to combat the reflexive "Viking sucks" responses to every post like this is if those of us who buy them post our experiences - good AND bad - and get current info out there. Good or bad, recent real world experience is the most useful for everyone.

o

If I shouldn't go with Viking, then how does this sound:

Range: Wolf 30" Dual Fuel
Hood: Wolf 30" Pro wall range hood
Wine Center: Sub Zero 24" Wine center
Now,
What should I do with the Refrig and Dw?

Refrig: 36" W 71" H
DW: 24" W

o

It sounds pretty good.

As you seen, (and probably read more than ya wanted)?, most of us here in GW are:
"Mixers not Matchers", alto as others have mentioned, it's your kitchen, and do what makes you happy.

The longer Viking Warranty "Could be" an asset, assuming you have a reliable and knowledgeable service company near by--In fact that should be step #1!!!! Alto if the appliances busticate, and you are a "Working Stiff" (LOL), It can be a Pita scheduling to get the repairs done---hopefully none are ever needed, I've only had one, (to tighten a loose handle), but I'm retired so it was a "Piece of Cake"!

As far as your selections go You really haven't told us much about the way you cook or bake, Do you do much Woking or Stir Frying, where a "Ranging Inferno Range" would fit the bill best, (Capital or Blue Star), or are sealed burners perfectly ok with you, even thou they "May" have a tendency to shoot the flames around the pots/pans on higher settings or smaller pots/pans. Do you do a lotta "Fancy Simmering"? Do You bake or proof bread, do several trays of cookies----etc etc etc.

As far as your Wine Center, I would at least look at the Perlicks (only the ones with the variable speed compressors)
as that is a much more up to date technology,
(quieter, more efficient, better temp control etc etc) than the old style compressors that are simply "Full/On Full Off.

Fridge, see if they make a Jenn-air in the size and configuration you want, they are always highly rated for reliability by subscribers to CR (Not CR Ratings, per se).

DW, either a Miele which might be easier to build in flush, or the KA, which does require a slightly deeper cabinet to be "Fully flush". I've had several KA's and all were quiet and trouble free, I now have a Miele, due to the top cutlery tray, and it too is great.

Good luck with your pending decisions In the end , it's you and your family that counts deserves to have what makes them happy and hopefully for a long time!!

Gary

o
What to do now

I do a TON of simmering, wok cooking, and I make a lot of souffles!

Would it be worth it to make a cabinet 'mod' to fit a built in refrig?

o

Your hood should be 36" if you're getting a 30" range, as library_girl mentioned above. There needs to be an overhang for better capture.

o

Can't fit a 30" hood):
But,
Would it be worth the money to make room for a built in refrig?

o

BTW - Modern Aire (ventilation hoods) will custom match any color range color.

o

I would take the time to look at the Blue Star as well as the Capital Cullinarian, you just can't beat those for Woking & stir frying, except perhaps a "Dedicated Woker" either gas or induction.

The Capital might need a lil "tweeking" to simmer to your expectations, but there are plenty of folks here in GW that can help you with that.
If you don't mind moving pot's/pans around to different burners and a simmer burner, then
Blue Star might be the way to go, If you're NOT a "Mover" then the Capital Cullinarian may be your "Cup of Tea".
Do check service availability on both of these ranges, as some have posted "Any company that services Wolf or other High end ranges would be able to take care of the Blue Star" (paraphrasing),---well that was not the case for one poster, ---Until--- A bunch of helpful "Garden Webbers" jumped in and assisted her in getting help from Blue Star!!!

To me, a built in Fridge was one of the best things we did with our kitchen, and in fact, I designed the kitchen around the 48" Jenn-air built in fridge.
There are many things we love about our kitchen, Induction, Speed Oven, single built in oven, blah blah blah, but!!!! We love the way the fridge looks and it is soooooo easy to keep clean, (The wood panels) just dont show dirt and finger prints like SS does, we also paneled our Miele DW.

Make sure you can do adequate ventilation should you choose one of these "Rangin' Inferno Ranges"!!!

Gary

o
zgdsg

The thing is about Blue Star and Capital is, that I NEED an electric oven.

Then I guess I will go with SUB Zero built in

o

"I can't imagine being in Sugarcookies shoes. I hope all goes well from here on out."

Alex - Thank you. Me too!

"Viking really needs to somehow improve their reputation in these circles...I am not sure how(or even if) they can do it."

jsceva - The way Viking can improve their reputation here on GW (and everywhere else too) is to produce a quality product. If my range continues to function perfectly I will regain some confidence in Viking range products. The longer it works perfectly, the more confidence regained. Either way it works out after some time has passed, I will update here on GW about my experiences with my Viking products.

I agree with you that giving a three-year "bumper to bumper" warranty certainly makes me feel better. I am grateful for that considering how things started out with my range.

As I said above, I do like the Viking vent hood and microwave drawer. Both of those Viking products work well. My minor complaints about those two items are more about my personal preferences and getting used to pro appliances than about the products themselves.

o
RE: Viking Appliances? Again

"We need some solid, recent, first hand information on here about how Viking is doing."

jsceva - FYI, my post is solid, recent, first hand information. My appliances were installed just over two weeks ago on 3/2/2012. :)

o

No one NEEDS an electric oven but you WANT one - that's cool.

o
RE: Viking Appliances? Yes No?gg

< weissman > I do need an electric oven,because I was quoted by 4 different people 5,000+ dollars to make a natural gas hookup to my range.

o

If you have no gas line, how are you going to do a duel fuel range that requires gas for the cooktop?

o

That came out wrong.

What I mean is that I am going to have to pay the 5K for my gas line, and I don't really want to pay extra for the all gas stove. My appliance dealer told me all gas ranges were more than the Viking I was looking at, which I have trouble believing.

o

In that case you NEED an electric range, not a dual fuel range. A dual fuel range has gas burners and an electric oven. If you don't have a gas hookup, a dual fuel range won't work.

o
more RE: Viking Appliances? Yes No?

Your appliance dealer is misleading you. All-gas ranges are significantly cheaper than dual fuel ranges. It sounds like he's pushing an all-Viking package on you because he gets a large spiff (commission/bonus) for selling Viking. You're getting better advice on this forum than he's giving you. Not surprising!

o
RE: Viking Appliances? Yes No?d

< Weissman > I am going to have my contractor place a gas hookup there.
That makes sense now!
Do all gas ranges provide a significant cooking adv over dual fuel?

o

I think you need to find a new appliance store and sales person. Dual fuel is more expensive than all gas.

You should go to AJ Madison and do some research. The Viking all gas is $4000, the dual fuel is $4600. In both cases, less than what your sales person is quoting you.

Wolf all gas is less than Wolf dual fuel.

Since you can do all gas, you should not eliminate Bluestar or Capital - both are better than what you are considering and likely less expensive.

IMHO, you are getting taken for quite the ride.

Here is a link that might be useful: AJ Madison

o
RE: Duel Fuel or AG?

From all we see, acw6455, you are looking at Dual Fuel ranges?
So wouldn't you have to unfortunately pay the 5 grand whether the range was an AG or a DF?

The only way to beat that, and still get great performance would be to go with Induction.
We don't really have enough posts about Woking with induction yet, to really give you a good idea how well it works/woks, but I suspect with the correct Wok, Induction would do a good job. It will certainly boil water faster than any gas range, and simmer better too!

You would have to compare the cost of installing an Adequate
power connection to the Induction range to the 5 grand it will cost you to get gas to the range.

I'm still a bit confused about why you "Need an Electric Oven", alto myself I prefer them,
(Just Me and What I'm usta). Once you hook up the gas to the range there should not be any additional charge as far as hooking up the gas oven that the range has, as more than likely it feeds off the same supply. Only thing I can think of is the gas line is only big enough for the cooktop and not big enough for both the cooktop and the oven, but that would be rare indeed, alto some of these "power house Gas Ranges" would probably tax that gas supply, if indeed that is the case.

Good luck with your project!

Gary

o

@sugar: my VAH dislikes are a longstanding refrain especially on the Appliance forum where the ventilation-obsessed hang out.

In short--poor performance, extremely loud, a huge PITA to clean well, and overpriced for what they do. I think they must have some huge incentive program for appliance dealers, as they almost all talk about how fabulous VAH hoods are. I suspect it's similar to the Viking sales troll who is advising the OP about the range. What nonsense--"all gas ranges cost more than a Viking dual fuel." And as MichelleDT points out, Modern Aire can match anything that Viking does with color, and makes a superior hood in almost every way.

For obsessive details, see vent hoods and noise, the real scoop on VAH

And to echo weissman and Michelle again, your appliance dealer appears to be, at best, an idiot, and at worst, a crook. I'd be looking elsewhere!

o

no way is an all gas range more expensive than dual fuel. i bought my capital precision three years ago for a little over $5K for a 48". a good friend paid $12K for her (stupid) viking. her builder arranged a special "deal" for her. yeah, that was special alright!

o
Dual Fuel

Gary's again on the money, though a few thoughts:
Given that induction requires direct pan to surface contact, how does a wok work? I guess they must make some kind of flat-bottomed wok specifically for induction?

As for gas line capacity: I doubt that is a limiting factor. We have a six burner Lacanche Cluny 1400, with one gas oven, plus two gas furnaces, plus two gas water heaters, all running just fine off one standard (I believe 3/4'') gas supply line. So I don't think a single all gas range would be a problem with any kind of standard installation.

o
'stupid' Viking

kates: LOL

o
even more RE: Viking Appliances? Yes No?

I wouldn't necessarily say that all-gas provides a significant advantage over dual fuel but they're comparable. Some serious bakers prefer electric ovens because they feel they provide more even heat but many professional bakers use gas ovens. Good gas ovens do provide even heat and also more moist heat - great for baking bread and roasting meats and poultry. I have an all-gas DCS range and am very pleased with the oven.

o
RE:Viking Appliances? Yes No?

Take a look at this Capital Precision - 4 burners PLUS a 25K BTU dedicated wok burner - for $3900. $1000 less than the Viking you are being pushed to.

The BlueStar is open burners and a bit more expensive and then there is the Capital Culinarian which also has open burners at $4600.

There are many options other than Viking and Wolf for ventilation...the range and hood DO NOT need to come from the same company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Precision

o

My appliance dealer told me all gas ranges were more than the Viking I was looking at, which I have trouble believing.

All-Gas costing more than Dual-Fuel? What is this person smoking?

I have been reading this thread carefully and everyone has given great advice and stories of personal experience.

Want to know how to stop an appliance salesperson in his or her tracks? Arm yourself with knowledge and call them on it. Have appliance comparisons in hand. Don't be afraid to say, "well, I heard differing opinions about *insert name of appliance and brand name here*. Let me show you the umpteen owner reviews. My budget is W, I want X and I won't tolerate Y or Z." Not to offend anyone, but appliance salespeople are worse than some car dealers. Pushy, opinionated and don't "drive" the very products that they sing so many praises about.

o
RE: Induction Wok

"Given that induction requires direct pan to surface contact, how does a wok work? I guess they must make some kind of flat-bottomed wok specifically for induction?"

They do,clinresga, but we have seen few posts here as to how those flatbottomed Woks work. I do recall one positive post, but as I mentioned, posts on Woking with Induction are
"few and far between".

The other thing would be, (I think), is that you would be stirring that which is within the Wok more, instead of shaking the Wok, as I suspect most Wok users do??? (alto I don't claim to be an expert on Woking.)

Just wanted to let you know that YEP, there are Woks made for induction, buttt we need to know more about them and how they work, but we can start a separate thread on that.

Gary

o

Yeah, your dealer is assuming that you didn't do any homework. He almost hooked you. A Viking suite was putting money in his pocket.

I'm a believer in hiring an expert/professional for direction and advice but I'm also responsible for what I do with it. Whether it's a salesman, doctor, lawyer, etc. I still have to do my research and ask questions.

You are the only one invested in YOU.

o

Well you asked, we spoke, you didn't listen. Best of luck, can't figure out why you think your experience will be better.

o

I have had a stupid viking 30" dual fuel range and hood for 3 years now and am very happy with both despite their lack of intelligence.

o

Sounds like this salesman is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. If you do not switch salesmen then be very careful when dealing with this man. He is not well informed at best and not looking out for your interests at all at worst.

o

< Shappy > Have you been reading any of the messages?!
Today I ordered
Range < wolf >
Hood < Wolf >
Fridge < Subzero >
DW < Meile >
Wine < SubZero >

o

acw: this thread got so long I think some got behind, but I think you are a classic GW success story of someone who (contrary to my initial opinion) came with an open mind, triggered a very lively discussion, listened hard, and made what I think are great choices. I won't jinx you by predicting great success, but these are all appliance choices that would get the "seal of approval" over on the Appliance forum, where pickiness reigns. Hope you love the appliances, I am pretty sure you will!

o

Congradulations on your decisions acw6455.

Please review the appliances after you have used them for a while, particularly the Wolf range. How does it Wok, is the heat sufficient for effective Woking? "Maybe" not all of us need the "Rangin' Inferno ranges" for Woking?,---Inquiring minds wanna know! (LOL)!

Is the Range an AG, and if so, how do you like the performance of the Oven/s.

Gary

o

"I have had a stupid viking 30" dual fuel range and hood for 3 years now and am very happy with both despite their lack of intelligence."

LOL I hope I can report the same in three years and longer even!

o
RE: Viking Appliances? Yes?

acw6455 - I think you made great choices and I'm sure you will be very happy with them.

o

dodge59 - I've been wokking on DCS 17.5 and 16K sealed burners for nearly 10 years and they're more than adequate. At the time, Bluestar only had an 18K burner. Except for wokking and boiling water, I never need to crank the burners up full blast.

o

@sugarcookies - sorry! I should have said we need *more* solid current feedback. your posts.certainly qualify, and I am grateful for them. Did not mean to minimize your contributions, really.

o

Thanks for the input Weissman.

I have a 2 burner (Open burner) DCS out on my patio, next to the BBQ, they are huge burners, no idea what they are, but I guess I should try some stir frying and Woking on that really hot succer!!
Gary

o

I think Viking ranges are the appliance that people love to hate. Ever since Sub-zero and Wolf merged, it seems that Wolf has become far more popular. I think Wolf makes a very good range but my preference would be a Viking. I had a Viking range and loved it. I don't think the Viking can simmer at as low temperature quite as well as a Wolf, but other than that, I find the electronic panel on the Wolf annoying. I also don't care for its bulkier, squared off look. I currently have a Lacanche and it performs beautifully - both the ovens and the stove top. Bottom line, these larger, professional looking stoves (and I include my LC) are really attractive, give us a lot of options and make our kitchens look great, and are fun to use. But, our moms and grandmas cooked fabulous meals on much less, so these appliances will likely not make us better cooks. There isn't anything that's perfect, so it's likely six of one, half a dozen of the other. Go with what you love and think you'll want to use and forget the rest.

o

By all means....NO, do not buy anything Viking. I worked there for over 10 years in management and the products are absolutely inferior. The company does NOT care about quality, they care about quantity. They will build and ship a broken product (well aware that it will fail in the customer's home, and ship it anyway).

It's strictly ran by a couple of elite upper guys and if you buck what they say, you're fired.

Just to give you an idea, we ran out of broiler pans (this is a part that goes in all ovens). I stopped the production line. One of the "elites" walked by and asked "why is the line off". I informed him that we were out of broiler pans. He said "You turn that line BACK ON and ship those ranges."

Before doing so, I typed up a note that said "Dear customer, at the time your range was built, we were out of broiler pans. This only affects the broiler function. Please call us at 800-xxxxxxxx and we will gladly ship you the part at no cost." --- I then placed a copy of this note in each range. The "elite manager" walked by again, noticed the printout and asked "What the hell is this? Remove this paperwork and ship the ranges."

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Oh, and ASKO does NOT make Viking dishwashers (anymore). They are made by Viking in Greenwood, MS and guess what? They just had a recall on them for catching on FIRE! You can see this recall info if you go to Viking's website (home page), look at the very bottom, you will see a link that says "Safety recall" in blue text. There, you will also find recalls on other products including about 25,000 refrigerators which had VERY heavy doors that fell off and injured several people.

Proof's in the pudding........ stay away from the "elephant with lipstick".

o

We had been satisfied with our all gas open burner 48" Viking Range for 7 years but we recently had to have a service call for a broken ignitor for the small oven. $500 for the call and part! AND it turns out the ignitors are only expected to last for about 5 years. Our range has 3-4 of them, one each for the ovens and I believe 2 for the 6 burners--is there another one for the griddle? Yikes!

I can't imagine spending more on each service call than my very good friend just spent on a GE stove that functions very well.

We thought there was very little that could go wrong with a gas stove. This feels like a major rip off. I won't be tempted by anything Viking in the future.

o

You pay a lot for the big a*s nameplate. Any product that is made for them is made to their specifications and is not necessarily a reflection on the supplier.

o

Does anyone know of any place that buys Viking Appliances? We redid our kitchen 4 years ago and bought a Viking Refrigerator (mint julep). We use the freezer in the garage. The Viking is so specific and I'm afraid we won't be able to sell it even though we spent $$$$ on it. We did have to have it serviced once. They completely redid the insides and it works great now. I'm just tired of going to the garage. I live in southern California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here