Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone used a trim kit w/ 36" freestanding fridge?

Posted by vitaminjd (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 22:57

I'd like to buy a 36" freestanding side by side refrigerator - probably the frameless GE Monogram - and add a louvered trim kit to make it look built in. But I've never seen it done (I'm just assuming it can be) and I can't seem to find a 36" trim kit. Has anyone successfully done this? Where did you find the trim kit? Can you show me photos? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone used a trim kit w/ 36" freestanding fridge?

Free standing fridges aren't interchangeable with built ins. They're sized differently and they are vented differently. If you want a built in, you have to pay the premium for one.

o

Some manufacturers sell trim kits to help cover the gaps in a counter depth refrigerator. They are not all the way there, but do cover unsightly gaps and hinges while still maintaining proper air flow. The doors will still stick out. These are specific to the design of the fridge, and are not offered by every manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prior Example

o

Electrolux Icon actually does sell a trim kit for their 36" freestanding side by side. But I don't want an Elux and their fridge is less than 69" tall, therefore the kit is a little too short to use with the other brands of SxS I'm considering (they are all between 70-72). I'd like to take this same idea and find a trim kit that can be used with another make/model.

Basically, I want the look of a built-in without paying the price for one. It's a new build so I'm not bound by any existing measurements yet. But I will need to find out whether or not I can do this before I order my cabinets.

o

Thanks for the link, gooster. :)

o

You are welcome, vitaminjd. The panels are very custom to the model number, because of the hinge design. If you read the other threads, you will note that you will also need to very careful about your water supply and electrical outlet locations. I've had my contractor follow the installation instructions carefully and have recessed both the water supply and the plug location, to ensure that the fridge sits flush in the cabinet. Installation is a few weeks out, yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here