Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vadawg

Absolute Black granite honed/leathered/antiqued?

VADawg
10 years ago

Hi all,
Am considering Absolute black granite for my countertops, with white cabinets and a Mont Blanc quartzite island. The fabricator had honed on the floor in stock and said the honed was worry-free. After doing some online research, it seems honed shows fingerprints, oily marks, and can leave water rings?? There are also other finishes called leathered or antiqued, are these different? I have to decide soon about these and now I'm totally confused. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (12)

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

I like leathered (I think "leathered" and "antique" are the same?). Mine are leathered antique brown granite, But I haven't seen leathered absolute black. Can they get you a sample or can you call around your area and see who has a slab you can look at? I wouldn't choose a stone without seeing the whole slab.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

We have a honed AB saddle in our MB. They used Tenax Tiger Ager (?) enhancer-sealer on it (we needed to darken it slightly to better blend in with our porcelain floor tile. It seems to be pretty forgiving (I walk on it with bare feet, wet from the shower or after using foot cream and such).

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

In my search for AB leathered granite, I encountered a variety of options ranging very dark, very textured to grey-ish with tiny texture marks - maybe more like a brushed finish. Some of these showed oily prints if not sealed. Finally found a lovely slab of Milky Way leathered granite that is the perfect deep black with great texture, with a bit of sheen that does not show prints. This was a search that I thought would be easy but proved to be a bit trickier. Good luck - it can be a beautiful material! (Mine will be installed in few weeks so I don't have good input about use yet).

• kevdp4
    10 years ago

Many Absolute Blacks can be a nightmare whether polished, honed or textured because of possible calcium content. Oily smudges are common with honed AB but a knowledgeable fabricator can help minimize that. Test the stone before purchasing.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

There is really no need to test AB for oil staining, it is almost impervious meaning non-absorbent. If it left an oily spot it was simply on the surface and easily cleaned. It will not develop a patina.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Most of the "Absolute Black" out there got that way through dye. If it will take a dye, it will take oil.

• Mary Ann Boffey
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is on the front page of the Kitchen forums page right now... we have Absolute Black in "antiqued" finish. I did not seal it and it's 2 years old. It's been great, but I don't leave any oil or acid foods on it.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

If it's been dyed it's not a true Absolute Black, it is a mutt stone trying to look like AB.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Two questions:
    How do you know whether it's dyed?
    And why does it matter? Because of staining?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"How do you know whether it's dyed?"

Rub it with acetone. I'd try lacquer thinner too. If your rag gets black, it's dyed.
    "And why does it matter? Because of staining?"

Dyed stone will function, it's just that the dye is only skin deep.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

Dyed Absolute Black can react to water causing water rings form glasses. Absolute Black can also contain some calcium which will also water ring from glasses. Using sealers on AB is another cause for water rings.

As Trebuchet stated, test with Acetone and lacquer thinner. Also test with lemon juice. Do not seal it. Good luck!