Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_grrl

Kitchen Sink Woes

happy_grrl
10 years ago

I would like some recommendations on a drop-in double stainless steel sink. I know I want at least 18 gauge for durability, but from there...Brand? Bowls the same size or one smaller?

DH thought $200 was a reasonable price until I showed him what I came up with on searches. I would like something that looks a bit sleek, as I cannot have an undermount.

Thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (23)

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

OK, I'll bite. Why can't you have an undermount?

• northcarolina
    10 years ago

I chose the Kohler Vault for the same reason you mentioned: it's got a flat rim so it looks really nice topmounted. I LOVE the low divide. A double sink works better for me than a single, and the low divide means that pot handles and big cookie sheets aren't a problem. The only thing I don't much like is that the square interior corners/edges collect more gunk than curved ones would. That is the price I pay for a sleek modern-looking topmounted sink.

It comes in all sorts of varieties (offset divide, no divide etc) and in more than one size. The full-size one is a big sink. There is SO much more room in it than in the topmounted 70/30 cast iron one we used to have, although the outside sink measurements are about the same. I like the 50/50 bowls in my new sink and I'm not sure there is much need for different bowl sizes when the divide is low. Still, offset seems to work better for some people, so just think about how you use your current sink when you are deciding.

I don't remember spending this much on my sink, but then renovation amnesia may have kicked in by now (2 years)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Vault sink

• happy_grrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're getting laminate, and while I know it can be done, I do not feel comfortable with an undermount/laminate combination, along with the added cost.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Even though we a have granite countertops, we chose to drop in my Blanco Silgranit Diamond Super Single. We really liked the way the deck looks and it is plenty deep enough without the extra 3 cm thickness of the granite.

• happy_grrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have looked at the Kohler Vault also..Love the look, not the price!

Did you run across anything similar in your search? I have always had double sinks, but think a single basin looks so classy. I just don't know...Who would have thought picking out a sink would be so worrisome?

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

You can have an integrated stainless steel sink with a laminate counter top. At least two companies offer them: Karran and Wilson-Art.

We have used Karran sinks for at least 7 years, and never had a problem with any of the two dozen we have installed. We have not used Wilson-Art yet, but I can't see that they would be much different.

Figure to pay about $400.00 for sink + install -- about the same as a good quality drop-in stainless sink.

You will find an integrated sink much more convenient to use.

The image is of a Karran stainless sink integrated into Formica. This is not one we installed. I think this is a company photo, but all of the sinks we have installed look just like this. Both companies aso offer an integrated composite sink, in white and beige, which we don't like as much as we like stainless.

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah, and if you chip that oh so thin laminate edge, you will have a leaky rotten mess on your hands. I've worked with many different fabricators over the years, and none of them had enough confidence in the system to put it in any of their homes.

• happy_grrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And we priced it...Added $1000 to the bill, so we nixed that idea in a hurry. Also, I see the little things in kitchens all the time (I have my own painting business) and I have seen all the things NOT to do in a kitchen...Laminate with an undermount would be about # 3 on that list.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

The flange and subsequent adhesive depth on that sink is 1", which is how large a chip would have to be before it could leak.

• northcarolina
    10 years ago

I have looked at the Kohler Vault also..Love the look, not the price!
    Did you run across anything similar in your search?

I agree, they're expensive! I can't remember how much I paid but it was definitely not full price.

No, I didn't find anything similar when I was looking. I thought long and hard about how I use my sink, and I decided my priorities were, in order, 1) divided bowl, 2) low divide, and 3) looks. I have a wood countertop and my installers were not confident in their ability to handle an undermounted sink cutout, so I decided to get a topmount rather than pay extra for a real carpenter. I was also a little leery of an undermounted sink in wood, though plenty of GW's have done it. As far as the looks: my second sink is a very inexpensive one from IKEA (the round one, if you want to look on their website; it was about $40). It's got a raised rim and it looks just fine, very nice in fact. So if I were doing it all over again and didn't want to spend the money on a Vault, I'd choose a big double bowl topmounted sink with a low divider and (this time) rounded interior corners; and I wouldn't worry if the rim was the old-fashioned raised kind. I prefer stainless steel sinks myself, but you might check out the Silgranit ones if you like that look. I think they can look great topmounted. If you do a Google image search for "silgranit topmounted" you'll see photos.

The sink being topmounted is not a problem for me at all. I don't try to sweep crumbs into the sink (no garbage disposal anyway, by choice). My trash is in a pullout next to the sink and I either wipe them straight down into that or off the edge of the counter into my hand. As for single vs double bowl, my only advice is to not get caught up in the debates you'll read here and to not think that one is inherently better than the other because lots of people are very vocal about it. It's not a matter of style, either. It is entirely to do with how you work in the kitchen. Singles work better for some people; double is much better for me (even factoring in the smaller sink across the room). No right or wrong.

Good luck! And it IS a big decision since sink style makes such a difference to the functionality of the kitchen, and you can't just change it out on a whim.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Perhaps it's time to do the nitty gritty googling, get some candidates and then post them for comments and to see if anyone has the sink brands you're looking at.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

The flange and subsequent adhesive depth on that sink is 1", which is how large a chip would have to be before it could leak.
    Thanks for this explanation, Trebuchet. I've looked at these photos before and couldn't understand how this mysterious junction was formed. That helps.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

How about a Kraus? The stainless apron-front sink I have has nice square edges. It can be flush or under-mounted. I have mine flush mounted, with an 1/8" reveal to match the look of my cooktop.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Errant, I've looked at the Kraus apron front sinks too, but I don't think they're often installed in a laminate countertop. Do you have laminate?

I'm following this thread because I'm considering the Kohler Vault also, possibly their apron front, for laminate counters. The shortened apron on the Vault apron would allow us to keep our existing sink cabinet doors. I agree the Vaults are pricey!

• knittingbythesea
    10 years ago

I am going through the same dilemma myself. Who knew sinks could keep me up at night. :) I too am having a laminate counter top in the kitchen and have been going back and forth about the Karran undermount sink. Most everything I have read has been good. I have been looking at the Kohler Vault also. I am not sure I like the square interior corners though it does look like a nice big sink.

If you are not set on stainless, Kohler's cast iron sinks with the Smart Divide look nice to me also. Does anyone have any input on those?

• ardcp
    10 years ago

no input on sinks other than stainless but i have to tell you that doing a top mount sink shouldn't be viewed as such a negative! i have top mount now with laminate and when i redo our kitchen with new cabs and granite, i am going top mount again, this time silgranite 1 1/2 in anthracite. i have gotten a lot of flack on not doing under mount but you know what, i don't like them much, they can leak and my small sink cab would make my sink size small or my base would have to be modified. i don't understand why the top mount hate!

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

I think the top mount Silgranite sinks look very nice. ;-)

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I top mounted my Silgranit sink and I am loving it. I really like the way the deck looks with my granite and the sink is plenty deep without an extra 3cm!

• ardcp
    10 years ago

fishymom- the pics of your beautiful kitchen with your silgranite sink are one of the reasons i am going with a top mount silgranite. i think your sink looks awesome and i was really not loving the undermount idea. love the way it came out!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Here's my drop-in sink tip - some sinks marketed as undermounts are actually installable as drop-in!

I really love my new single bowl undermount 25" Ruvati sink:
    http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=RVM4130
    $192

It is 16 gauge 304 steel and made in China. I found out after buying it that it can be mounted undermount or topmount - right now it's temporarily installed topmount and looks fine. The flange has a finished edge and the surface is the same finish as the inside of the sink. It includes a sturdy rinse grid, a really nice basket strainer assembly, and it has a good soundproofing pad on the bottom. The drain is slightly to the back which gives me more space under the sink for a trash organizer. My ultra-picky husband was impressed. I am not one who wants to see my reflection in my sink so I can't comment on whether it shows water spots or not because I don't fuss about those things. I do love the rounded corners for ease of cleaning.

It is replacing a wider double bowl sink but I'm so happy to have a single sink now! If I want division I can always use a separate tub in the sink but right now I love the larger space - especially as my faucet is higher and more powerful now.

If you want something bigger you could consider this:

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=RVM4200
    $249 - but not sure if it's in stock anywhere

Here's a double bowl version:
    Ruvati RVM4300 Undermount 16 Gauge 32" Kitchen Sink Double Bowl
    http://www.ruvati.com/product-p/rvm4300.htm

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

Is there anyone out there who installed the vault Kohler K-3943 - stainless steel undermount apron front sink? I'm about to pull the trigger, and would rest easier knowing that others like it.

I am also wondering if the concerns about scratches in the steel apron (belt buckles) are a real thing, or hype?

I want a modern look - so flat front - otherwise I would go with the 16 gauge steel of the Kraus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler apron front

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Juno_barks:

I wouldn't worry about belt buckles damaging your sink. Stainless steel sinks are very easily refinished.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

Thank you, Trebruchet. Its sometimes difficult to separate fact from fiction - and you seem very knowledgeable. No more worries, I will proceed.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths