Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

Did you purchase aftermarket cabinet accessories/parts?

front
10 years ago

I haven't even looked into pricing for drawer inserts or pull handles from Schuler. I did find some pulls that I like for around $6 each. I'm going to take the advice I was given and take an inventory of my kitchen. I would like to put in knife inserts, silverware inserts, and possibly plate dividers. Did you purchase your cutlery dividers, pulls, etc. from the manufacturer? If not, where did you purchase them? How was the fit?

Comments (15)

• ardcp
    10 years ago

did you order your cabs already? if not, see if lowes has their schuler 2 tier cutlery divider on display. it was the only thing i ordered from my cab co and is a little pricey but so worth it. as i have read from others here, it is best to live with your kitchen a bit before ordering dividers for plates, etc
    as far as pulls go, i got some really nice pulls on overstocks.com for my old cabs.

• mdln
    10 years ago

@ bob_cville - thank you! Did not know brass divider clips were available.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Bob, I did the same thing, and I am thrilled with the results.

I bought a knife drawer insert on Amazon.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

~Not being a DIY person, I bought a knife insert from a knife store that fits into my drawer. They come in a variety of sizes and configurations. My cutlery inserts I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are bamboo, come in a variety of sizes and configurations and some of them are expandable. I have had them now for 3 years and they are like new and look nice when you open them.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

@ bob_cville - Do you happen to know the SKU number or have a link to that page on Lee Valley? I have searched and searched and only come up with plastic divider clips. any help would be much appreciated!

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

I'll see if I can find a link or SKU, however it was several years ago that I bought them.

Found them...

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=40168&cat=3,43722,43743

This post was edited by bob_cville on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 15:25

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

awesome! yay! Now *that's* a DIY project I can handle :)

• Carol.33
    10 years ago

Our cabinet builder made these dividers for our island drawers. I think he did a great job!

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I have the Kraftmaid 2 tier cutlery divider and I love it! I have seen them on eBay for $99.

• Nobasil (z4 New England)
    10 years ago

We just had our cabinets installed and had the carpenter install some aftermarket parts-
    Rev a shelf cutlery insert, and rev a shelf peg board, and William Sonoma knife block.

The carpenter secured them to the drawers (and I believe cut back the depth on the rev a shelf items to make them fit). Overall- the fit is great (the rev a shelf items are designed to be cut back so they'll fit well).

We're only just moving back into the kitchen now- so we've barely used them, but we really like them so far. The cutlery insert in particular is much better than what we had previously (way bigger and doesn't slide around). The peg board seems like it will work really well for dishes/bowls. The knife block we think we'll really like (but haven't actually moved the knives yet- we're still trying to sort out a child lock that will fit the drawer style).

We may have to get some of the brass clips (we still have spice drawers and a utensil drawer that need dividing).

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Several companies sell pegboard false drawer bottoms into which you inset movable dividers. What we like about them is that the dividers can be rearranged as your storage needs change.

I have included a photo of pegboard dividers we make in our shop, but we don't sell them separately. However, others do. You can see the movable dividers, but the pegboard drawer bottom is, unfortunately, not visible.

When we build them, the pegboard (maple or oak) is actually the drawer bottom. With the after-market add-ons the peg bottom sits on top of the drawer bottom.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

OldTimeCarpenter - I love that idea, but wonder, has anyone mentioned difficulties in getting their drawers clean since the pegboard is actually the drawer bottom, meaning that it wouldn't be able to be removed unless you took out the whole drawer? Somehow, I always manage to get some crumbs and so on in drawers! I suppose that you could use a vacuum attachment in the drawers, but I think that I would prefer to have the pegboard removable. Just curious on what your clients think about it in general for cleanability.

• hough2012
    10 years ago

We bought 3/8" pine craft boards from Lowes and made our own dividers. Used blocks to determine the layout, then glued the pieces together. Comes out in one piece which makes cleaning easy. Cost was about $8.50 and I love how it came out.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

@ andreak100

We have never heard a complaint about keeping the drawers clean, and I don't see why cleaning pegboard drawer bottoms would differ from cleaning solid bottoms. Vacuum, spray with Windexî and wipe.

We are looking now at a supplier that makes plastic pegboard. I generally don't like plastic, but as drawer bottoms it makes good sense.