Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash help - should I tile both runs?

Posted by williamsem (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 22:42

I need to decide soon how much tile to order. My current thought is to just tile the range/sink run since it's so long and NOT tile the small area next to the Advantium as it might be too much in a small room. But then what do I do there? Or should I just tile both places? Thoughts?

Layout
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Materials
My attempts at visualization

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash help - should I tile both runs?

My first instinct is to run it only on the long wall as it may be too much for the space. I would paint the other space and leave it without a back splash. To be safe, why not order enough for both? It looks like the other back splash space is maybe 3sqft? Unless your tile is super expensive, might be good to just order the extra and decide later.

o

I would definitely tile both spaces. I think otherwise, it's just going to look disjointed and you are going to have the dilemma about how to intergrate/blend/match paint or tile, etc. HeadACHE. Now, you get 2 opinions. Opposite. Which one resonates more with you?

o

Both for functionality if nothing else. If you've ever removed a roast from the oven or salmon from the broiler, you know there can be splatter.

Did you choose a really busy tile?

o

Williamsem
I like both runs tiled in your pictures. It gives a nice balance and also functionality.
Is that your tile?
Pretty!

o

I think both runs, but you know me with tile. The more the better....

You're getting close!

o

I would tile both runs. Much better balance that way.

o

I would tile both runs for balance and cohesion. Love the tile, BTW! What is it?

o

Another vote for tiling both runs.

o

Wow, didnt expect there to be so much agreement! That short side is 39 inches long with 30 inch deep counter.

Yes, that is my tile pictured. Though I couldn't make it any smaller, so the scale is off. That's a 12 inch sheet pictured, so it would be smaller IRL. I guess it is a little busy, but all the same so I think it will not be overwhelming.

It is MOP diamonds from builderelements.com, the only place I can find it. They are a bit restrictive, so if I order enough for both areas and decide not to tile the small area I can't return it. And if I want to order more, there is a 5 sf minimum. Not the end of the world, but at about $19/sf it's already a bit of a splurge. I seem to have good taste in tile, anything else I like seems to be at least 50% more so I just keep scrolling before I fall in love!

o

Go for it.
So exciting for you and can't wait to see it!
Our second backsplash run between ovens and fridge is 45 inches.
I use the counter and a boos cart for baking. My KA mixer has sent batter and flour flying - so glad I installed it.

o

Personally, I would tile both spaces. For me it would feel a little unfinished to skip the smaller space next to the ovens.

o

It'll be gorgeous - remember to order at least 10% more than your total square footage for cutting/errors etc...

I can't wait to see it all come together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here