Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with brackets/other support for quartz

Posted by lovetodream (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 22:41

We're having an arch on our peninsula to allow for seating. Peninsula is 85" long and 3" wide (of base cabinets). I'll call it a rainbow for help visualizing.

The end of the rainbow (against the wall) will stick out 7", then it will slowly arch out to 16", then back to 7" on the other side. Quartz is 3 cm thick with no plywood underneath.

What do we use to support the extended counter? How many do we need? Should I ask our fabricator to provide it? If we don't use plywood, how do the brackets attach to the quartz?

I'd like to find something that's hard to see - I don't really care about a beautiful decorative bracket. I REALLY don't want to have something that we hit all the time with our legs, as we'll be sitting at that counter.

FWIW, cabinets are white shaker and we plan to have a simple molding on the back side of the peninsula.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with brackets/other support for quartz

Look at doing the CounterBalance steel support system. But, it's not the counter fabricator's place to install counter support. It's the cabinet installer's job. You do NOT want counter fabricators touching your cabinets. At all.

o

We used Fastcap's Stealth Speed Braces to support the 12" overhang on our new Cambria quartz countertops. The braces are not visible, and no banged up knees when seated at the eating bar. Love 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fastcap Stealth Speed Brace

o

Thank you! Since I see the "cabinet installer" whenever I look in the mirror, I'll speak with that person. :)

o

Here is our support:

Overhang supports photo Granite5.jpg

This bar system was installed by the granite fabricator/installer. He routed a channel into the top of the cabinets the exact depth of the bar so the granite sits flat on top of the cabinets. You never have your knees bashing into a support. We, too, did our own cabinet installation and this was not in our skill set. The granite guy does it all the time.

I was unclear on your rainbow description, but just in case you were asking about another kind of a support, here is where our granite crosses the open space over the dishwasher and butts into the side of the pantry:

Support to adjoining cabinet photo Granite11.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here