Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Shaker Style Cabinets Anyone?

trudymom
16 years ago

I met with cabinet maker and I looked at his shaker cabinets. I'd love to see pictures of any you have. Are you glad you got them? Are they inset or overlay panels--which do you prefer and why?

Thank you!

Comments (43)

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Our shaker style cabinets in alder have inset doors. I love the simple, classic lines. The inset doors were more in keeping with the farmhouse style we wanted. Here's a pic early on in our remodel.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

I LOVE MINE. They're Thomasville Cherry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my kitchen project

• alexamd
    16 years ago

Here are mine. We have inset doors with a bead in natural cherry. I do like the inset, but remember you lose a little space with it. My old cabinets were overlay and I forgot to take into account the space that I lose from the inset. My dinner plates don't fit in my upper cabinets...only in the corner cabinet. I could have had my cabinet maker increase the size by an inch, if I had realized before the fact. Measure, measure, measure...

• brosamj
    16 years ago

If you do a search of shaker cabinets, you will find a ton more pictures. Here are a few of our remodel:

• muscat
    16 years ago

Here's mine. I also love the simple lines. We did slab drawer fronts on all but the biggest drawers. I'm not done yet, either......

{{!gwi}}

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

I do like the inset, but remember you lose a little space with it. My old cabinets were overlay and I forgot to take into account the space that I lose from the inset.

I'm not sure that's always true. If you think of the door being recessed into the frame, then yes. But my cabinet maker (Kitchens MRS) brought the frame out to meet the door; they claimed that you got more space in an inset cabinet than an overlay cabinet.

"Inset style: This type of construction is based on the face-frame or North American style. However, the doors are inside the frame (inset) instead of over it. This variation gives the cabinet box a bit more depth, thus increasing available storage space." I think it all depends on who makes your cabinets.

• theresab1
    16 years ago

here are our shaker style cabinets:

• november
    16 years ago

I have cream-colored shaker cabinets with inset doors, and I love them for the same reasons as everyone else - clean lines, simple, elegant. You can't go wrong with something simple.

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

Here are mine (still lacking handles):

• igloochic
    16 years ago

vjrnts kitchen was the final push it took for me to go with inset doors on my natural cherry cabinets in shaker style :) I wasn't sure if the look was going to work with "wood" colored cabinets verses the usual white ones you see so often (which are gorgeous).

I like the simple lines of the shaker style. They can look farmhouse, or modern, depending on the accessories. I wanted a bit of an eclectic look, which, if you've seen the funny thread on my kitchen you'd know I probably will have :) But the inset cabinets in shaker style were a big part of that. I needed a nice wide trim on a simple door so that my knobs would be the stars, instead of a fussy cabinet where the cabinet would be the big wow factor.

I too went with a mix of both slab drawers and shaker trimmed.

• stretchad
    16 years ago

paul_ma - what kind of cabinets are those, and in what finish?? They're so pretty!

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

Igloochic, what a nice thing to say! I'm glad that my kitchen gave you some inspiration.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

:) I didn't know you didn't know that vjrnts. You have a gorgeous kitchen, and the inset cabs really are beautiful, without being too country (which is how I often feel they look).

Teresa's kitchen also has that nice timeless feel :)

• epiccycle
    16 years ago

Here's another version of Shaker, with a coved detail, from Custom Cupboards. This was not an easy to find style, a couple years ago when I was looking anyway. I saw one other manufacturer that offered this but can't remember the name. They were inset and not in the budget.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your pictures and thoughts. Your kitchens are all gorgeous!!

• hollylh
    16 years ago

I too would love to hear about paul_ma's cabs--am I right that the base cabs are full overlay and the uppers are inset? Is this a common combo? because I am considering it...we are replacing the uppers but not the bases in our remodel.

trudymom, we have shaker full overlay in cherry and I agree that it's a versatile style. I wish they were inset though--the kind where you don't lose storage space!--just because I like the more old-fashioned look. However, I think the overlay can look quite classic too. One thing to consider if you do overlay--Our doors and drawer fronts have a very straight edge (don't know what that's called--sorry--they were here when we moved in, so I am just figuring out all the terminology). It would be better if the edge were very slightly eased--those straight edges are where you see the wear and tear. Ours are eight years old and because they are stained wood it sin't so bad, but if they were painted it probably would look terrible. That is on the lowers, though, not the uppers--lowers have been a lot more banged around. (We have three kids, now 11 and under, and I cook hard!)

HTH Holly

• zelmar
    16 years ago

Ours are close to Shaker-style....with a few extras. Rather than plain inset, they are beaded inset. And rather than having a plain flat panel--we added a quarter round molding piece around the panel. We have the Shaker-style flat panels in our bathroom and I find that the flat ledge (created by the panel) is a great collector of fine air-borne matter and I'm too messy with flour. Also, the hardware is more Victorian. (and yes, the crown molding and legs are too fancy too...ok, maybe not Shaker at all, but I think it has the "feel" of Shaker, sort of.)

{{gwi:1570742}}

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

stretchad & hollylh,

The cabinets are by Canyon Creek. The color is cordovan stain on cherry. They are frameless. (Both top and bottom. Not inset.)

Backsplash is going up today - to be grouted tomorrow. Hopefully handles tomorrow too.

• plants4
    16 years ago

Zelmar, any chance of a close-up photograph of your cabinets? I've been concerned about that flat edge too!

I'd say your kitchen proves that the title "Shaker" just means "not ornate but not modern" -- and they look perfect in your house!

• minnt
    16 years ago

Here are mine, cherry, with just a little bit of stain to bring the grain out. You can see more photos on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• zelmar
    16 years ago

Hi fern4, Here's a close up:

{{!gwi}}

• kompy
    16 years ago

Zelmar, What kind of wood is that for your kitchen cabinets? It's hard to tell. Kind of has walnut grain, but it's a lighter wood? I'm just stumped here. Anyway, it's really beautiful! Not too rustic...has just the right amount of grain.

Kompy

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

Here's my unfinished kitchen Scherr's shakers in natural cherry.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

I'm guessing Zelmar's wood is mahogany

• zelmar
    16 years ago

Yes, jejvtr is right about the mahogany...I guess it takes one to know one : )

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Here are my shakers... I love how shakers can look really classic as some of those above - but also work in a more modern look (I believe my kitchen is categorized as "transitional" but who knows).

Proud to be a part of the shaker club :)

{{gwi:1595261}}

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Mine are frameless in natural cherry. I think my kitchen is transitional or contemporary.

We used slab fronts for drawers that are less than 8" and 5 piece for the bigger drawers - that is what I've seen in real Shaker (i.e. made by Shakers) furniture.

Little things like the hardware and moldings chosen can shift the look of shaker. We chose simple non-fussy but traditional handle shapes rather than the more modern bar pulls.

• holligator
    16 years ago

Our Shaker cabinets are cherry with a natural finish.

We're still debating backsplash options.

• plants4
    16 years ago

Holligator, this is slightly off-topic but can you say anything more about the "natural finish" that you have? I've been told by one cabinet maker that low VOC satin finish is slightly cloudy on cherry, I'm not sure I want to go with an oil-rubbed furniture-type finish...

Also, do you have more photographs? Shaker cherry with soapstone and SS appliances is what I'm going to be doing and your kitchen makes me very happy with my choices. I'm also particularly interested in your crown molding -- it looks like what I want.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Mysterymachine: I've seen your kitchen before and love it! Would you please repeat what kind of wood you used and where your bar chairs came from. TIA!

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Frameless shaker style cabs in Maple, stain was called "butternut" which I love becuase of the brown tones rather than orange.

Stools were from barstools.com. They are one of their bestselling stools and are not hard to find on their website - great stools - comfortable, sturdy etc... only problem is they squeak (I'm still hoping someone finds a way to oil them).

If you want a ton more pictures you can see my finished kitchen thread. One of these days I'll get around to putting it into the FKB.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Holligator
    Love your kitchen. The ceiling treatment is wonderful. What a great space and the soapstone . . . you know . . . it's . . . ahhhhhh indescribable! Nice job.

• soupgoddess
    16 years ago

alexamd:

I love your kitchen! Is that a Blue Star I see in there? If so, I would LOVE your feedback on the cooktop. I am deciding between a Wolf and BS 36'' right now, and having a terrible time making up my mind.

Thanks!

Renee

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Here's my humble kitchen - maple with Praline finish

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Oh, there's a club? Mine are cherry with a custom stain.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

soupgoddess, it looks like alexmd has the Bluestar range. We have the rangetop in our island. You can see it in the pictures above though from the back it isn't distinctive especially since we have our granite covering the back of the island trim. I love it - especially the performance with our wok. Is there something particular that you would like to know?

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

bklyn2pok - I like you cabs. I especially like the way you have them at different heights and don't use the top moulding on all the peices. That in addition to the one with the glass really add a lot of intrigue to your cabinets.

Natesgrandma, I like that cabinet color. Its similar to what I was after with mine. If I imagined my stain on cherry I think it would look like what you have. Were those pictures taken soon after it was done or have they had some time for the sun to effect the wood color? Do you have a super susan in the top corner cab or is it just open?

• alexamd
    16 years ago

Renee: Thank you. It is a Bluestar. The cooktop is awesome. Lots of power. I love the open burners. Granted I was cooking on a 1960's caloric prior to my BS, so almost anything would be an improvement. I knew that I wanted a BS, because my brother and SIL have one and love it. I looked at the Wolf, but never seriously and I never have cooked on one, but I know plenty of people who have one and they seem happy. Actually, it seems to be the range of choice in my neighborhood -- although most of my neighbors don't really cook much. Good luck with your choice. I don't think that you can go wrong either way.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Mysterymachine: One more question - I looked back to see if I asked about your pulls and I did - you decided to go black vs. ORB. Is there actual hardware that is black? Do you know what company that was used for your pulls? Mixing and/or matching ORB's is difficult so I would like your opinion. Also, are you still okay choosing the SS faucet vs. an ORB faucet? Did you ever look at Grohe's Bridgeford one handle in ORB - it looks pretty nice. I live overseas at the moment and can't see all these things - very frustrating! Thanks so much for all your input - one last question - can I have your kitchen? : )

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Mysterymachine, those pics are about 4 months but the color hasn't changed at all. I expect it will get a little darker but not much. It's was extremely hard for me as a woodworker who uses different species only with a clear finish, no stains ever, to choose custom cabinets with stain. The color is very even which is what I wanted.

The upper corner doesn't have a lazy susan but the bottom does. I love your cabinets and backsplash.

• soupgoddess
    16 years ago

Thanks, Alexamd and Cloud Swift. Sorry it has been awhile since I have been able to post - very VERY sick w/walking pneumonia - I don't recommend it!

Anyway, on to the fun stuff - yes I would love to ask both of you about your Blue Stars. I just can't seem to decide between BS and Wolf, and at this point am driving the DH crazy! I have assumed for quite some time I would get the BS, as I cook a lot, will be doing some cooking classes in the home, and just generally need something that will provide a perfectly even heat at all levels. When I first saw the BS, my jaw dropped to the floor and I was overcome with "burner design love". Literally. It appears to function exactly like a Garland (I know they are the same folks, basically), and I have cooked on Garlands many times in restaurants (years back before kiddos). The thought of being able to have one in my own kitchen was just too good to be true.

Now, I don't know what has happened to my resolve. whenever I mention BS to friends or family, they have never heard of it and ask why not Wolf? I went and cooked on a Wolf three weeks ago at a local showroom, and to be honest, it was okay - but not much different than my 10-year-old GE gas top. The simmer was excellent, however.

Which brings me to the thing that is keeping me up at night on the BS. I am afraid that with all that power, it will just cook too hot. I need to have two or three pans simmering during a usual family dinner, and I am worried that the BS will not go low enough on the other "non-simmer" burners. On the Wolf, all six go down to the super simmer.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the simmer? Also - have you had trouble with the knobs at all? They are very wiggly at the showroom here in Portland, OR. Oh yeah, one more quick question: The pull-out drip tray seems sticky in the showroom compared to Wolf. How does that work for you guys?

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Mysterymachine - thanks for the praise, actually there's supposed to be crown on the corner cabinet too but DH hasn't quite figured out how to cut the angle :=)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Just wanted to add: in most cab lines, Shaker and mission are very similar. If you like one, check out the other.

Far and above my favorite, never condidered anything else. Carved or raised panel doors are too fussy for my personal style, though objectively beautiful.

The great thing is that this style can be very contemporary or very tradional, depending on finishes and pulls. By far the most versatile look out there.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County