Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_2006

are your ranges flush against the back wall or is there a space?

anna_2006
16 years ago

The installation saga continues...

If my range is pushed only so far so that the crack and oven door project beyond the adjacent cabinets, then there will be a 1 1/4" space between the range and the back wall.

However, the back wall is not yet tiled, so how much will tiles take up after they are grouted to the wall? 1/2"?

Then the space between the range and back wall will be 3/4". Is this not too big? Should the range not be flush against the wall?

My range has a 3" tall backsplash attached to it which I could take off and just use the island trim, but either way, there will still be a 3/4" space.

If you have a space, how large is it? Does it bother you? Any photos?

I think I should be talking to the cabinet maker tomorrow instead of just the appliance guy. I also have to call the granite fabricator since he already came to do a template and if anything changes with the cabinets, then that will change his template.

I don't know anymore if my concerns are valid or not. DH is upset that I am holding things up. I need your advice.

Comments (18)

• cavu
    16 years ago

I think it would look strange to have a 3/4" gap at the back, not to mention things falling back there. Maybe you can at least get the cabinet guy to put a strip back there to close up the gap.

• Lanzz
    16 years ago

My range is 3/4" away from the back wall, due to the gas supply line sticking out from the wall. It cannot be moved, because the apartment building prohibits that type of alteration. I am having an additional piece of granite made to fill in the gap - it bugs the crap out of me.

• anna_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for your replies.

Lanzz - thanks for your honesty :)

I guess I could get a granite piece for the gap. But I just realized that if someone ever wanted to change the backsplash that attaches to the range and get a taller one, then it would look really odd to have that gap behind it.

Oh well, I guess they won't be getting one of those then!

• ruby2s
    16 years ago

When I designed my kitchen, I thought it would be great to have deeper counters, so I went with 27" depth. It wasn't until we went to install the range that I realized I didn't account for it in the plans. My heart sank when we put it in and there was a 3" gap in the back! Fortunately, my friend/ contractor is a quick thinking problem solver and used some scrap trim to cover my mistake. Hopefully you can see it in the photo. I think he made it look like it was planned.

Here is a link that might be useful: range

• anna_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ruby2s - that is exactly how I felt when the range was put in. It is a custom kitchen with custom cabinets, but this space now looks like something went wrong somewhere.

I would love to see your picture, but it won't open. Is there any other way to see it? Is it possible to email it to me? You can email me by clicking on My Page beside my user name.

I think that seeing it would just reassure me to some degree.

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

We knew we would have a space -1 1/4 sounds about right.The granite guys templated for it and had made a little piece for behind the range. I think its pretty standard for slide ins to have a gap. Sue

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Has anyone read the specs on the range at all? The cabinet guy should have, the contractor should have, the homeowners should have...anyone? Do you need the gap or not? Most ranges that require a gap do have a piece you can order that fits the gap or they have specs for what should go in the gap.

I don't know if this is the same poster I mentioned this to before but doors are usually protruding from the cabinets on an oven, but you really HAVE to read the specs. Our range is equired to be 3" from the wall, but the maker knows that and provides a piece to fill that gap...what does yours suggest???

• anna_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The range is a Dacor dual fuel 36" free standing range. My husband fell in love with it and had to have it.

We ordered it in November and the specs did not say anything at all about how much further the range should exceed the cabinets. All that was available were dimensions that showed the depth of the range from the back to the side panel, to the front knobs, etc. I did not pay attention to this, but did give it to the cabinet maker.

Well, they installed the cabinets a few days ago and all was well, until the range was delivered. Even though our gas hookup is not ready, we had them put the range in its proper spot against the back wall. Everything was fine - I was happy that the range was barely sticking out at all. We even called in the granite fabricator because there is a two week lapse before the granite gets installed and with Easter falling into this period, it might take a bit longer.

Then I started wondering. I was over at my parents' house and they have an older slide-in, but I noticed that it sticks out a lot. I started looking at the finished kitchens blog, but it is hard to see how far things stick out due to the angle at which the photo is taken. I called the appliance installer and he said that it probably is better for the range door and seal to be protruding beyond the cabinets.

The cabinet maker did not discuss this matter with me in order to tell me that the range might have to be pulled back from the back wall. I shall be seeing him this afternoon, but I know that he will tell me to put a piece of granite back there. I called the granite fabricator today, but he told me that they cut into the granite already. So, it looks like there is no chance to make any adjustments to the cabinets. I will have to live with the granite piece. But right now, I am so heartbroken and having a difficult time getting over it. I just see this gap behind the range and it upsets.

Thanks for being patient and reading through this,
    Anna

• cavu
    16 years ago

If it's this model of range, it says the depth to the crack of the door is 26 1/8. If you tile behind the range that will take up about 1/2" so your gap could get pretty small.

Cavu

Here is a link that might be useful: Dacor Epicure 36 DF

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Actually your specs do cover the issue (link below) but one thing to look at now is the thickness of your backsplash. Tile is anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4" thick, then you have the adhesive and sometimes a backerboard (depending how it's installed...mosaic or just tile). Have you picked tile yet? It appears your specs are close to mine (I'm using the island spacer with my range which will butt up against the tile backsplash). If your tile isn't the cheapest, it should give you at least 1/2" or so (3/8 to 5/8" is pretty normal) to work with...

Here is a link that might be useful: specs

• glad
    16 years ago

i have the same situation as lanzz. my super tried a couple of different supplies and we went with a flexible one that could be pushed up against the wall to at least minimize how far out it would sit.
    it is still about an inch away but doesn't bother me. it would if the stove itself stuck out beyond the cabinets, but pretty much just the door does.

• weissman
    16 years ago

I mentioned this on the appliance forum, but I'll repeat it here. I would check directly with the manufacturer to find out definitively whether or not the oven door has to protrude beyond the side cabinets. To be honest, I've never heard that before, and just because a particular installer told you that doesn't make it so. I'd bet you could push the range all the way back to the wall without any problem but I would confirm with the manufacturer. You may well be worrying about nothing. Worst case, just treat it like a slide-in range, and put an extra strip of granite behind the range to cover the gap.

• ruby2s
    16 years ago

Anna,
    Check your email, but I think I might've figured out how to do this...
    {{!gwi}}
    by ruby2s

• lmarletto
    16 years ago

We had to address a similar issue because we wanted cabinets more than 24" deep. We settled on building a 3 1/2" bump-out in the wall behind the range, allowing 27 1/2 inch deep cabinets. It will have a tiled niche over the range which I think will distract from its real purpose. We've just finished framing, so I don't have pictures.

I don't know how a 1 1/4" bump-out would work. Some tiles would really lend themselves to a clever design. Others would just look like something funky with the wall was being covered up. If the final gap after tiling was 3/4", I'm not even sure it would be noticable to the average person. Could you live with the gap for awhile before deciding what to do with it?

• anna_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ruby2s - that is a very interesting solution. What is the material framing the range?

igloochic - the previous specs that I used when I purchased the range only listed the side measurements without any recommendations regarding where the front of the cabinets should be relative to the side panel of the range.

I talked to the cabinet maker and on paper, he has worked out everything perfectly (I have already forgotten the exact numbers, but it went something like this): the cabinets that are not bumped out are 24 1/4 deep, the bumped out spindles/pilasters and pullout cab next to it is 2 3/4 out, so total bumpout is 27". He then figured that tiles on the back wall would take up at lest 1/2", leaving 26 1/2". The range panel extends 26 1/8". This would leave a gap of only 3/8".

On paper, the plan was great, but I now see that the installers had to use shims, etc. So, in reality, I guess the actual measurements will vary due to uneven walls, floors, leveling adjustments, etc.

I am now more calm about this since I cannot do anything but wait for the granite to be installed and then decide whether I want a strip behind the range.

Thanks to all of you for your kind help and advice.

Anna

• ruby2s
    16 years ago

Anna- our kitchen is "Rustic Maple". The cabinet builder happened to get a good deal on a bunch of it and I loved the amount of knots it in. Unfortunately, my cabinets don't have as many of the knots as I would've liked. But that's what we used for the framing material. I will try to get a photo focusing on this. The photos that I showed you were taken a year ago and just happen to have the stove in it.

• Zisa Lubarov-Walton
    2 years ago

gas lines can be recessed into the wall. that should help the range fit flush against the wall. There is a recess box the gas line fits into. you can google this to see what it looks like

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone