Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

My Kitchen Facelift Journey

greenhaven
10 years ago

So I thought I would take the opportunity to chronicle my journey into and through a kitchen facelift, seeing as how it shouldn�t be TOO horrendously long of a process. Not too detailed lest this be mistaken for a misplaced blog, but maybe to give some ideas, log my mistakes and give perspective to a reno project even though it will be a (relatively) small one.

First, this is my home:

We bought it and moved in at the very beginning of February 2014 after a sudden job change for my Dear Hubby. We left behind a home in the location of our dreams, so I have had a hard time getting excited about or attached to this house. At around 2200 sq ft it is bigger than I want to have to clean, and is poorly laid out, but it is well-maintained and has the acreage we need to stay rural but close to work for DH and enough to run our dogs and keep my horse and chickens.

This is the kitchen and dining room as it appeared in the real estate listing:

And this is the kitchen a couple weeks ago:

We have not been here long, but we have lived in a lot of houses and one thing was abundantly clear from the moment I saw the ad: I hated that kitchen. We bought this house with my stipulation that I would get to redo the kitchen, and sooner rather than later.

Well, life happens and it looked like it was still going to have to be "later." I could hardly bear to work in the tiny space even with the island, since it is so far away from my cooking space. I started reading here at the Kitchens forum and immediately started learning. I learned renos truly are expensive, tastes run the gamut and there is a lot more than simply picking out my favorite counters and stone.

I also learned I could accomplish a whole lotta change on a much smaller budget by making sacrifices that really didn�t matter that much anyway. A forum member here (was it Ann? I�ll have to look) made the point that if we switched our fridge to the other end of our "L" we could move the range over, insert larger cabinets and gain a LOT more prep and storage space while retaining the open feel granted by the island.

Then I discovered that paint can be a miracle worker and that the stock unfinished cabinets at the big box stores actually had doors that matched my Merrilat doors, even though the boxes are a wreck.
Yikes.

So here, at long last, is my plan: we purchased a new, narrower fridge that fits (mostly) well in the space to the left of our dishwasher. We will pull out the 12" uppers flanking the range and the 12" drawer base (really???) beside it and slide the range down 24". This allows for two 24" base cabs beside the stove, a new 24" upper and a new 36" upper. We ordered quartz countertops for the cabs and my island cabs, and everything will get a thorough paint job.

If I can find a way to overcome the fact that the laminate floor was laid around the island we will also move the island two feet closer to the stove.

I planned to use beadboard on the backsplash, not only because it is inexpensive but I also love it. Then a funny thing happened, I set foot in a local art tile store and fell in love. Hard. Since my space is small, for minimal additional money I would have an amazing tile backsplash and DH said he would rather do that anyway.

Since we still had a lot of store credit at Menards we bought a new sink and faucet, too. Oh, and we are adding pulls to everything.

So, intro over, I will post about my first steps in a reply spot. Here are a couple more pics of the kitchen, please excuse the mess of moving and the stop-gap measures like the bakers rack that doesn�t fit but holds our microwave. Much of that crap has found homes elsewhere.

Comments (150)

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I want to thank you all again for your support and encouragement. Although this is not a difficult job and piecemeal completion can be an advantage, the dragging-out factor is still wearying. Truth be told if we just did this and nothing else we could have had this done in a week, barring the countertop timeframe. I cannot imagine how bad it is for those of you undergoing full renos! I doff my hat to you all....

As expected it was not much a day, progress-wise. I was exhausted when I got up, and hurting a little so I took it easy.

Here are a few things I DID do:
    I painted primer on an already-finished drawer front so that tomorrow I can gauge the adhesion factor without sanding. It does not look promising that I will be able to skip that step.

I also started cleaning up and putting things away in cabinets, and was feeling frustrated about my microwave. I have pretty much decided that I will find or build or commission a cabinet/hutch on which my microwave and five gallon fish tank can hang out together. It is slightly outside the “kitchen” but still in proximity. I still have not returned the door/drawer base I am not using in the kitchen, so I brought out my huge cutting board, laid it across the top temporarily and moved the microwave off my counter.

The only thing is that I had to relocate my Treasure Table. The table itself is an antique wall safe given to me by my very best friend back in Illinois, and on the table are some things to me that are very cool or very special. No big deal, I guess, I swung the whole table around onto the other side of the wall, which is in the living room. When I get a proper unit in that space (I think it needs some height anyway?) the crappy little “desk” holding my Izzy Fish and photos and whatnot that have not found a permanent place yet will all get moved over.

It was a huge relief to get my table cleared, the garbage out and tools stashed (even temporarily.) A mental break can be a precious thing!

One mishap today, though, turned into a slightly larger deal…and might not yet be over. The water line that connects to the new fridge leaked, and I did not discover it until after lunch. I took the dogs downstairs to their crates and was greeted with a sizeable lake with water dripping from at least three joists. Fortunately I knew exactly where to turn off the water supply- back at that little brass gate valve.

The puddle did not look that big back in the kitchen; I pulled the fridge out and mopped up the water. When DH got home I informed him of the problem and he got it fixed right up. However, about an hour later I noticed the laminate flooring near the fridge has started to buckle and delaminate. It is obvious that a lot more water than we could see ran under the flooring a ways before it found its way to the basement. The full extent of the damage is probably yet to be seen. As of right now it is ugly but liveable.

Let’s hope it does not get any worse.

• carolssis
    9 years ago

That's a shame about the leak, let's hope it's not real bad. I have to say this is the most interesting thread I've read on my many years here. Your knowledge and got get 'em attitude is amazing and a source of inspiration. It's wonderful to see the progress you've made in such a short time. Applause to you!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Give the laminate a little time to dry out..it may be okay. We had a leak on our laminate and it dried out fine. Took a few days to look normal though.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably not an exciting day by anybody’s standards but my own, but I am very happy with the way things went.

The very first thing I did was scrape off all the ugly border, but only in the kitchen area. I peeled the plastic-ky facing off, then it was a simple matter to gently press a wet sponge against the paper backing still stuck to the wall. It did not take much water to loosen the adhesive and allow me to use my spatu….uh….scraper….to scrape the wet paper off the wall.

The final step was to wash thoroughly with water, making sure there was no adhesive left on the wall. I am probably going to dress up the soffit, but have not decided how and will just paint it, for now. Time-wise it will be virtually nothing.

The next thing I did was to condition the bare upper cabinet boxes with water. This raised the grain and allowed me to finish my sanding before priming. Worked a real treat, too!

I brushed Glidden Gripper onto the box frames, but took all doors off the uppers and took the barewood ones to the garage where I gave them two thin coats of Kilz primer. I used a spray can, and it is amazing, the difference in finish! It took only a light sanding to finish them off prior to painting, and I do mean light; like a skim of sanding! I also did the two end panel facings that will cover the open ends of the two larger uppers.

I took down all the pre-finished upper doors and gave them a good scrubbing with soap and water. I definitely have to sand them, and was not quite ready to start that today.

The last thing I did was to start painting the barewood doors, I am so excited! The color looks great, the finish perfect. I purposely allowed grain to show through, because I love the character and texture it lends the kitchen. I am always so impressed with how easy it is to paint over a good coat of primer.

So three upper doors got a first coat, as did the end panels. They are drying as I type this, and I will second coat them tomorrow, as well as the lower cabs. I will probably also start sanding down the pre-finished doors tomorrow.

I feel like I have conquered one mental battle by overcoming my reticence to sand the pre-finished cabs. I think that will be way less trouble than I thought!

The real mental battle left is that cabinet to the left of the stove. I have to trim down the bottom to line it up with the existing cabinet, but the thing is that it is only off by maybe a saw-blade's width and that is very, very hard to cut. I am putting it off until the last possible moment! It is, by far, the most intimidating thing I will face in the whole project.

Unfortunately my laminate does not look like it will recover. I am not sure DH noticed, but I will point it out and see if he doesn’t just want to do the whole kitchen with tile or vinyl now or wait it out until we can do all the floors.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Would it be easier to try and sand it off? Put a jig to run a sander down to the desired depth? Perhaps it sounds easier in my head that it would be to do!

Are you sure that others would notice a difference? Perhaps leaving well enough alone would be fine? When they are all the same color and everything is finished you might be the only one to notice.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rnmomof2, that is exactly what I was thinking! DH thinks that is even riskier because it can be harder to control the sander. But if I mark a line and just use a coarse-grit sandpaper and a palm sander (vs a belt sander) it probably won't be too aggressive.

The problem with it being just that much off is that my cabinets really need to be level to each other, too, so that my new countertops will lay right and be properly supported. I wouldn't be so concerned with laminate, but I have quartz coming.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

So the surface is coming up? Can you use a small paint brush and a bit of glue, or even a low heat gun and some heavy books?

My floor has a slight split between two boards, but the leak was from under the floor. (Hubby drove a finishing nail tip for the trim into the water line, where the water line came into the house by the front door.) The nail tip started to rust, it shrunk and viola...leak and wet subfloor that the laminate started soaking up. I remember a bit of fluttering at the seam too, but it's not there now. I didn't do anything...

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Too bad about the flooring, greenhaven. Everything else is coming along so beautifully - I hate to see a setback, especially a potentially expensive one.

I would hate to see you put in flooring you didn't love at this point, if it's not in the remodel budget.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Try a coolish iron with pressure to iron the floor back down. Laminate (hard layer) is made under PRESSURE and heat, and the particle board backing here has gotten soaked and swelled, and needs PRESSURE and HEAT to push it back to its original dimensions or it will dry fluffy. This is why I won't touch laminate floors with particle board bases with a ten foot pole, they are unforgiving if water penetrates them!

On the sliver trim: sometimes when faced with something like this I will make up a rig with a straight edge and tight clamps and run the saw along the straight edge. Trying to sand it or hand plane it will make a non-straight line.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 7:49

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@terri_pacnw, it is way beyond glue, unfortunately.

@beautybutdebtfree, I can try it, but I am pretty sure it is already dried this way. I still have nothing to lose by trying!

The jig set-up is my only other choice, I think. I am still not sure there is enough to take off even using such a jig. I did consider buying and fitting the thinnest sheet of luan or plywood I could find and cutting the cabinet that much deeper. Then the luan would, essentially be a shim and I have more room to make the cut.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

So sorry about the floor. If you're not able to fix the one or two pieces (its hard to tell in the pic what is really damaged) could you move them around maybe in the corner or under the cabinet toe kick if they are just a little curled?

I think I remember you said your floor was a little older so even if you could find it again it may not be the same color because of fading. You may be able to find a package of some new stuff that is close and put that stuff under a toe kick so its partially hidden. If that's a little ghetto then ignore me. ;)

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IowaCommute, I have already suggested more ghetto-like things than that, lol! I suggested to DH that we just fill the island hole with plywood and put a rug over it. That did NOT fly, lol.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Ghetto? Did someone say, "Ghetto!"
    Reminding you I worked at the National Harbor in Oxen Hill, MD, where all the kids I worked with also originated.
    I can tell you this 55 year old yoga teacher can twerk better than someone of the yungins. Learned it there.

Other than that tidbit, I have absolutely nothing of value to offer. Going thrifting in a minute.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Who hooked up the water line? If it was the delivery guys, they'd be responsible for replacing the damaged floor.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, 1. I did not know that, cool! 2. I assure you I meant the term in only the most non-malicious way possible. I could just as easily have said "hill-billy" and not meant it with any more or less malice. and 3. I am not a fan of twerking but I might provide extra cookie dough to see you do that. ;o)

may_flowers, it was DH. It was not leaking two hours after hook-up when we pushed the fridge back against the wall. I can only surmise that the line got catty-wampus when we pushed it back and un-sealed the connection.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

No need to get all PC on this outspoken, direct, sometimes abrupt poster. If someone takes offense to that term, like Hillbilly, perhaps it's hitting too close to home.

I had to prevent them from filming me with their fones. We all laughed so hard it was difficult to go back to work with even a semblance of a straight face.

I'm sorry about the floors, too. With all the progress you've made, I'm surprised there haven't been more setbacks. But this is a biggie to fix!

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I grew up in the ghetto and now live on a farm next to Amish so go figure. Sometimes I come up with ideas and DH looks at me like I have two heads. Ah. I guess you can take the girl out of the ghetto but not the ghetto out of the girl. I also spent my summer in the Missouri Ozarks with my grandparents and still have family in Appalachia. Ah. So it runs deep.

Greenhaven I hope you get the flooring resolved okay. If you have to replace it maybe you will stumble upon a huge sale especially since its warming up and places are running big sales for home improvement right now. If you're near a Habitat for Humanity Restore they may also have some. There was one by our last house that was filled to the brim with building supplies and home fixtures some used some new but all were amazing prices.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, no worries! I couldn't tell if you were taking offense at the term and do not mean at all to offend anybody here. You all have been so generous with your thoughts and encouragement.

IowaCommute, There are several HfH ReStores near here, I really should stop in for funsies. Plus, I would love to score some cheap cabs for my laundry room.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Greenhaven: if it helps, I had to cut off 1/8" (the width of the blade) off a piece of plywood last night and used a guide exactly like the one in the link. It was actually quite easy. You allow for the width of the plate at the bottom of the saw, which is what actually touches the guide, so you're not running right on the edge. Granted, mine was plywood, which is easier to manage than a cabinet. But I still think that's the best solution. I can't imagine you getting a level flat surface by sanding.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I really wouldn't worry about cutting down your cabinets. I've done more than a few. Toe kicks, the backs, and the face frame on the sides.

I don't know which way you're cutting (have to read back), but if it's the depth, make sure to put it face up and cut across the top (or bottom) first. Then you have cut marks on the sides of the cabinet to reference and don't have to match them up. That usually ends badly for me. But if my first cut goes through not only the top and some of the sides? You'd think a grown-up did it.

Don't forget your blade is 1/8" thick, so decide which side you're cutting on, or if you're cutting on the line, which is way harder for me. Then set where your guide is supposed to be against your saw. Clamp that baby down, check it again, and saw away!

I'm actually eyeing a 12" cabinet I'm stacking, and veneering the sides, so it looks like one cabinet on the end. I'd have to trim about that much, 1/8" off the face frame to make it look (in my eyes) perfect.

Do what you always do. Just jump on in.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I had the same thing happen with laminate in my other house, GH. I was able to get it to lay back down almost perfectly by setting my biggest, heaviest cast iron pot on it overnight. I warmed it in the oven first, but not hot enough to scotch the floor, and put a kitchen towel underneath. I may have even stacked other pots on top to increase the weight. It's worth a try!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

One of the sure-fire ways of getting something to chip and look antique is to leave it in the yard for, oh, say, a year?

However, the laminate on these actual antique doors separated. Thank goodness old door laminate is as much as 1/8" thick, vs. today's crap. I expected this to lift..

So at the moment, I have 3 doors on saw horses in my living room, MBR, and GR.
    I'm gluing the laminate back down by stacking bricks along the edges of the laminate, then a board across them, then various heavy things on top. Buckets of drywall mud (40lbs), cans of paint (heavy), gallons of bleach, etc. It's working perfectly. Oh, along the edges of the door, I just put a board across it and clamp those edges down. Good as new!

My point in this all about me & laminate, is that the pot might not be a bad idea. Then put a bucket of drywall mud on it.

Maybe even wet it a little and force some glue into the MDF fibers?

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are such awesome cheerleaders! I will try some the laminate repair techniques today, and will have to brainstorm adjusting the saw jig to work for the bottom of the cabinet. There will not be anything for a regular wood clamp to attach to, so I would have to use something like a ratchet strap around the whole cabinet (have my doubts about that getting tight enough not to move) or I am not averse to actually screwing down the guide board since it is the bottom of the cabinet. i would just have to use thin screws and pre-drill pilot holes to avoid splitting the wood.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Sit on my tookas for the weekend and I get dropped to page four. Slacker!

Did not do much over the weekend, as I had a houseful of "kids" this weekend and went visiting, too. It was definitely a challenge to work in my kitchen at this stage.

I did not take any pictures today, but what I did (finished doing, really,) was put first and second paint coats on my stove-wall face frames so I can get my cabinet doors back up, which is also going to get done today as soon as I get off this computer, lol! The painted frames and doors look amazing. I have yet to sand the pre-finished doors, but I am going to get out the palm sander and do them en masse all at once, to hopefully consolidate the mess and noise into a smaller frame.

The laminate floor is toast. The pressed wood beneath the laminate has swelled all up and did not press back down and is now dried that way. It is not too horrendous, and we will not have to wait too long for all new floors, I think.

Tomorrow I pick up a cabinet hardware installation template and will start doing handles. Oh, and I simply MUST tackle that base cab that needs a shave. I am still having anxiety about it, as the countertop guys come to template Thursday or Friday. I should probably find out which day, lol.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So it was back to work today, sort of. I invited my super-smart sister-in-law out to take a look at what I had going and help me figure out WHY I was feeling unhappy about my color choices. We went to the tile store so we could look at tiles for the “tile rug” and for ha-has I showed her the tile and accent that I had picked out, loved, and then changed my mind about.

Well, she loved it, thought it was entirely appropriate, and made the brilliant observation that the 12x12’s that came in the tile style and color would be a perfect, cohesive fit for the floor! Brilliant! And it helped me figure out why I was feeling the color choices; it was feeling just the wrong side of boring from serene.

We brought a beadboard piece painted with the cabinet color and it is amazing, like the two were made for each other. I voiced my concerns that the counters would cease to be the hero, and she said (I love this woman!) “That tile is the perfect supporting actor for the star of the kitchen.” Brava, sister…brava…

Today was the day I simply HAD to address fitting that base cabinet, since the fabricators are coming to template Thursday or Friday. CEFreeman said, “Just jump in, like you always do! You can do it!”

So I did.

Very first thing first, I had to empty the cabinet. The drawer had become a convenient place for tools to hang out, and the bottom already had pots and pans in I, so that got emptied and the drawer pulled out.

It was a slow, careful trip down the basement stairs, but I did it. Conveniently I had a box of saddle blankets randomly hanging out down there, so I laid one down to keep the cabinet off the concrete. Turns out I didn’t have to turn the cab on its painted front, but that’s alright.

I assembled the tools I would need, a straight-edge, a pencil and measuring tape. Not pictured is the circular saw. I did have to use the worklight as an extension cord, because one of the major drawbacks of starting this so close to move-n time is that I cannot find half the crap I need to use for this. Thus spatulas become scrapers, pliers become hammers, worklights become extension cords. It’s a good life.

So, I had determined up stairs that the cabinet was going to have to be reduced in height by 1/8 of an inch to match its neighbor, so I marked 1/8 from the bottom edge all the way up and connected the dots with the straight-edge. I measured off from the 2-inch line because small increments at the end of the tape are hard to read due to the metal hook on the end.

No cleat to use as a guide board, that would not have worked anyway because the cut across the front is the toe-kick, which also made cutting in one direction impossible because the housing of the saw would hit the bottom of the face frame. If I had figured this out ahead of time I would have made ALL the cuts from the same side of the cabinet. As it was I had to make a mad guess and go on a wing and prayer.

It got done. Not a pretty job, but done. Thankfully I had a palm sander and 100 grit sandpaper handy and took down the high spots. I had some other flubs, but there was not much I could do about it at that point and was desperately hoping shims were going to solve any problems upstairs.

I recruited DH to help me carry it back upstairs, and lo and behold, a pretty good fit even before shimming! I am very happy with the way things went, and with minimal shimming we will have a serviceable base cabinet. It still needs a wee bit of shim in the back but I will take care of that the night before the fabricators come so I can finish it with the countertop off.

On a separate note, I hung some upper doors yesterday. I am sooo not done with the rest of them, but I just needed to see some solid surface up there! I am immensely pleased with the way the painting has gone so far and love the cab color. This photo is not accurate n color at all, but you can see how pretty they look on the cabinets!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Yeah, so happy it worked out for you. One hurdle down.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have hit the boring and tedious part of this reno…sanding and painting. Blah. But it has to be done, so I got up and started stripping the rest of the kitchen of its drawer fronts and cabinet doors.

I was a little nervous about the false front on the sink base, as I just could not get a good look under there and could also not get a good grab on what I thought was the screws holding it on. Then, a revelation! There are permanent pegs on the cabinet and clips on the front that just snap the thing in place. A couple well-placed whacks with the blunt end of my screwdriver popped it right off.

Even the lazy susan doors came off!

I am a little nervous to work on those, though, since it appears they not only screwed into the LS shelves but are glued to each other via a 1x1. Not the end of the world if they crack apart but not a fix I am wanting to add to the mix right now.

Then the sanding. And sanding, and sanding and…sanding! Hit everything once with 100 grit sandpaper on my orbital palm sander, and wipe or washed off the dust and let them dry. I will do the fine-tuning sanding once they are completely dry. At least it was a beautiful Spring day and I could do them outside!

I also sanded and wiped down the remaining face frames for the rest of the cabinets.

I will admit, I am losing motivation and getting real sick of having my kitchen a wreck. It was alright at first, an inconvenience but “charming.” Now it can all just go away, lol!!! I am just powering through at this point.

The worst part of DIY is that for every minute I spend working on the kitchen there is a minute I am not doing my other chores, like cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. It is a tough balance.

The installers come tomorrow to measure for the countertops.

Tonight I sit at the computer with a well-deserved adult beverage.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An uggy day today. DH and I made the decision to postpone our short trip to Florida to see family because we are both just so overloaded with things to do. He has several important projects he cannot afford to leave, and now that the weather is conducive I really need to get fences and shelter up so I can bring my horse home and not pay another month’s board. Plus, the kitchen stuff, and house stuff, and so much unpacking to do, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, was felling kind of bummed about telling mom we weren’t coming, so I pouted a bit before getting motivated again to finish my priming so I can paint and hang doors.

This morning the installers came and measured for my engineered quartz countertop. This is Trav setting up his laser measure. He gave me permission for this. :o)

He put these dooflinkies at the end of each run between appliances and walls, and one at the edge of the sink. The laser uses these to transmit highly accurate length measurement. Next he pointed the laser at recurring points above the existing backsplash and on the wall to map out accurate depth measurements. It was pretty cool, the technology!

Sorry for the cruddy cell phone pictures, I left my camera plugged into the computer, which drained the battery.

He answered a lot of questions for me, and gave me what I feel are accurate expectations for installation and performance for the product; it was very helpful to have done my reading here at GW and be able to gauge real info from BS.

He was in and out in a half-hour and said to expect about two hours for installation on the 24th.

This evening I finished priming all doors and drawer fronts except the LS fronts. I want to take my time and not crack those apart in-process.

I will likely continue to do some painting, would be nice to have all doors and drawers back on by the end of the weekend.

• carolssis
    9 years ago

Your project is looking real nice. You've put so much work into it. My hat is off to you. It looked so much better in the earlier photos of the wall where you took the border down, really opened up the area above the cabs. I'm amazed at your energy and expertise. Keep up the good work, and thanks for all the photos to keep us in the loop. Congratulation on a job well done!

• SusanNJ72
    9 years ago

Sorry you are overwhelmed right now, but you are doing a great job! Thanks for the pics of the templating process - very cool!

• berryjam
    9 years ago

GH. You are amazing and so deserving of an adult beverage. We're rooting for you and supporting you all the way!

• maggieq
    9 years ago

From one Navy wife to another, you rock girl! Totally in awe of your creativity and talent. Don't forget to start a new thread soon....we need to know how the story ends!!!!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh you guys are too funny! I am doing nothing that cannot be done by anyone else who has a true desire to do it and the ability to Google the right info. ;)

MaggieQ, how did you know I was a (former) Navy wife? What is this black magic you possess? lol Oh, and thanks for suggesting that this will, indeed, end someday...

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting even when you are bummed, overwhelmed, not motivated, sick of dust, disarray and a non-functioning kitchen.
    We are all cheering you on!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

How exciting to have new counters coming :) . I really like how your cabinet fronts are turning out.

• maggieq
    9 years ago

You spilled the beans earlier about DH being in the Navy!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha, I did? It seems so long ago I started this already...a lifetime, reallly...so no black magic, eh? Darn.

Nothing too exciting today, and certainly nothing photo-worthy. Lots of painting and finished priming the face frames of the remaining cabinets.

Made two significant blunders today; while neither is devastating they are both foolish.

The first is that I forgot two of the drawer fronts were going in the island…which is getting painted a different color. Not tooo big a deal, but if I stick with the grey I have to paint over them and then I will have four coats of paint and a coat of primer…which gets to be looking sort of…marginal…

The second is that after weeks of faithfully washing brushes when needed or wrapping tightly in plastic wrap between coats I finally forgot and left my 2 ½ inch sash brush out all afternoon. Again, not the end of the world but I did pay double what I usually spend on brushes so I could get a good, quality finish. Fantastic brushes, beautiful, fine, soft bristle-ends for minimal brush marks. Now it is good for only the most plebian of tasks.

My goal of getting the doors and drawers back on by the weekend is entirely within reach, and for that I am grateful. Tomorrow I need to order the tile for my backsplash and find a reputable installer. As eager as I am to try my hand at tiling I do NOT want to start in the kitchen with expensive tile I adore.

I also have yet to finish wiring the island for power, and when I confessed to DH that I would, in fact, like to have another outlet to the right of the stove I got The Look.

You know the one.
    The ones that says “I asked you multiple times if you wanted another outlet in while the walls were still open and you said no.”

Yeah. I know.

Ultimately he was a good sport and told me what would need to happen if I went through with it, and it won’t be that big a deal. I will tackle it after the painting is done.
    So I also have to paint the walls, trim and soffit and install cabinet hardware and my part in the kitchen will be essentially done.

Projects that are related but not directly involved will be finding or building a cabinet for microwave and fish tank, removing all the rest of the border, and painting the dining room to match the kitchen. I am also trying to develop a mud-not-room at the other end of the dining room but I think that is going to take a little while longer.

DH suggested we consider replacing all the flooring now instead of later.

I gave him The Look.

• kbb100
    9 years ago

hi Greenhaven, Your layout IS so similar to mine! Even the adjoining rooms look similar. I just found this thread today. Fascinating play by play. Your progress is astounding to me. I make one decision and then revel in the accomplishment for weeks (or more accurately, it takes weeks to recharge my batteries to face the next thing). This evening my kid and I were counting our blessings. He seemed pretty sure we had all we needed. Doesn't even notice there's no kitchen sink anymore! :)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Dearie, don't despair over your brush.
    Soak that baby in either Murphy's Oil Soap or warm, white vinegar and it'll come right off.
    Do a Pinterest search. If it's latex, yup. It'll all peel off.

I can't do The Look because I start to laugh.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Can we see a picture of your horse when he/she comes home? Amazed at all you are accomplishing!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing this journey greenhaven. You & your DH are an amazing team.

What's this..."I am doing nothing that cannot be done by anyone else who has a true desire to do it and the ability to Google the right info. ;) ".....uh, well.....not really! I know this is beyond my abilities! Desire or no desire...nope...never happen. So, please keep showing us all of the hard work you're doing so we can truly appreciate the people coming to our homes to do this for us! I can't wait to see more.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kbb, where on earth do you do your dishes? Still hung up on a table but now I have quartz ordered for the island.

CEFreeman, wish I had seen that before it dried. I took a sanding sponge to it after soaking in water. Not so effecrive. :/

Romy I would be proud to!

Bicyclegirl, well thanks, then. :0)

• teachinmom
    9 years ago

I was very excited to find your forum! I am also just beginning a kitchen makeover and my kitchen is very similar to yours! I also just added breadboard to my island (I primed it already) and plan on painting it an off white as well as the cabinet fronts on the side. Hubby & I put in hardwood acacia floors this fall (all by ourselves! Never have done anything like that but so very pleased with how they turned out!) I hate my oak and am so worried about painting these cabinets and them looking good, but don't want to put the $$$ into all new cabinets since we plan on selling in a few years! I am
    willing to try it though! We are having granite countertops put in within a few weeks and new appliances will be added sometime in the near future. (Gotta pay for the granite first!) You have inspired me...maybe I will create a
    forum for my kitchen adventure too. I will definitely keep following your kitchen progress! I feel like I now have a support group!

This post was edited by teachinmom on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 9:20

• kbb100
    9 years ago

greenhaven - luckily we are back to grilling weather. Been washing dishes in the powder room sink. Ugh. That and a lot of chipotle.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mmm...Chipotle...well, make a decision and finish that gorgeous kitchen! I cannot get DH on board with a table, alas. I might have to sell my current set and buy a new one, those trestle tables I saw are amazing.

teachinmom, heck yes, support group! That is what these boards are all about! I am more than willing to share info with you if you need more details than I have provided here. I think you even have the same fridge as the one we just replaced, lol!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

@teachinmom:
    These floors are so stunning! If you're not up to painting the cabinets (an dI can't blame you), here's an update with no painting involved. They did, however, add crown molding to the cabinets and backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: updating oak cabinets

• Mgoblue85
    9 years ago

Greenhaven - you just inspired me...I have several doors (not cabinet) to paint. After reading your progress report I am a bit more motivated to get my a$$ in gear. You really are doing a fabulous job. Love reading all your updates.

btw - if forgetting to clean one brush is the worst that happens with your refresh, you are doing pretty darn good. Good luck!!!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Greenhaven:
    You need to start Part II...this post will terminate soon because it has almost reached 150. But before you move on, I must say 'YOU ARE MY HERO!!!". When it comes to "can do attitude" and pure courage and chutzpah, you take the cake. You have garnered yourself some real followers and admirers with what you are doing. I love seeing your progress and your new skills and absolutely find you inspirational. Keep at it. So many people are following your progress and rooting for you :)

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

firsthouse, thanks for the heads-up! I did not know there could be a post limit. I will start a new one today. Will the old one still be here, just closed?

I am a little embarrassed by the accolades. I must have just grown up differently, because I feel like what I am doing is not that big a deal. If it were any more extensive (and I still might bring in a electrician because I want lights over the island) there would be a lot more professionals involved.

Pretty much most of my life I have been in the position that if I want something done I will have to do it myself. Not to say I have not had help on some projects.

Sometimes I choose to DIY because I know I can do the job and save $$ on professional fees.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, I think it depends on how you grow up. My dad was a jack of all trades because his dad was that way. Well long story short I was a big tomboy and tagged along with many of my dad's jobs (metal fabrication, machine fixing, electrical, plumbing, small building jobs like decks and garages.

Also at home I was the one that helped him bleed the breaks on his old 1952 1 ton box truck. I also helped him rotate the tires, change fluids and general maintenance. I was also in awe when he had to get out his engine lift (doesn't every one have one?) to put a new engine in his old truck. DH is also very handy because he grew up on a small farm and learned woodworking from his grandpa. I even felt competent enough the other day to fix my leaky S trap all by myself.

I fixed up the front porch on our old house (have to sand again and paint since winter came early last fall. :( It will be pretty when I finish, and I can transplant my little seedlings outside.

I agree with everyone else though that learning to be handy seems to be a lost art, and I told DH we will have to teach little DD everything we know. It won't be hard though since he loves to help with everything.

I am looking forward to your second thread and hope it goes as well as the first one.