Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it worth it if it means a seam?

Posted by lotsofkids (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 22:29

We are replacing our countertops with granite. I have a huge island that is currently 9.5 ft x 5.5 ft. We have the space to extend the end and add a piece like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/56787645273382832/ . It would add an extra foot to the length of the island. Extending the island would also mean that our stools would have a little better spacing than they do now. But it would also almost guarantee that our one-piece island granite would now have a seam. Would you do it if it means a seam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it worth it if it means a seam?

If you have uniformly speckled granite, a seam won't really show. If you get dramatic swirly granite, two bookmatched slabs make the seam a very excellent upscale feature.

Sooooooo depends on the granite. But seams aren't always to be avoided at all costs.

o

If the seam will be obvious how about dropping the end piece 6"? You will still get the storage but it will be a separate piece - so no seam on your long stretch.

o

There are quite a few granite slabs that reach 126". In general, the ones that have more fissures will be smaller since they tend to crack easier on those fissures. Something like absolute black, you can easily find a one piece slab that size.

Not sure what the big deal is about seams. Find a decent, reputable fabricator with a good seam guy and you won't see it at all.

o

My husband was really unhappy with the seams in our last house, so he is pretty against it. It was our first experience with granite, so we've never seen (or at least noticed) what good seams should look like. We had Santa Cecilia there. We've been looking at Blue Flower, which I'm told never comes longer than 9.5', and has quite a bit of movement. One guy told me almost everything from Brazil will be 9.5'. We also looked at New Caledonia, and I'm not sure yet if that one does. Dropping it 6" is an interesting idea. I'll have to run that one by my husband and see what he thinks.

o

Here is an example of an island with the step down. From Houzz if I can attach it correctly.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/2618675/My-Houzz--Traditional-Home-With-Cottage-Flair-traditional-kitchen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here