Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise6229

Trying to love new granite.

Denise6229
10 years ago

My granite went in yesterday, and I was shocked to not love it when I saw it in my kitchen. I'm not sure how I feel about it with my counters, although I'm not sure what I can do about it now. Thoughts...

Comments (29)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I think it's normal to feel that way. There is a big difference between seeing a sample in your kitchen and seeing a big expanse of stone. Give it a few days and it will likely grow on you.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. It's a lot like painting and then thinking - "that's not what the sample looked like", but then you wait a few days and love it. Your wall color and your cabinets look very nice with the granite.

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

I like both your granite and your cabinetry, but the wall color does not blend the two. I think if you get a nice cream colored backsplash and a better paint color it will look great. Just want to say I do like the paint too, but it seems to be throwing things off.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Denise, I love your cabinets and counters and the paint on the wall to me looks nice also. I think it is just a shock from the sample. I really think it looks very pretty and goes well. What is the name of the granite you used?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Maybe an added white tiled backsplash in the brick pattern will make you like your counters better. Any close-up pictures of the counters with the walls?

• blfenton
    10 years ago

The granite is beautiful with your cabinets and the stainless and the paint is great with your cabinets. For me, what is throwing it off is the shock of the black faucet and soap dispenser against every thing else. It is quite jarring. Cover that up with say a grey towel and then see what you think.

Now, I don;t know why you chose the black faucet - is it a focal point or a "I have to have this because it;s gorgeous" or does it tie in with some other black highlights. If that were the case I would have expected to see black cabinet knobs and pulls. For me, it looks like an anomaly but I'm not seeing the whole picture either.

But the granite is really quite gorgeous.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I have gold and other warm tones in my LR and DR, and the white granite and quartz samples we brought home looked awful in my home. I think you'll need to find a cooler paint and add white elsewhere in art, window treatments, etc. so the counter isn't the only white thing.

• Peke
    10 years ago

It is hard to tell with monitors, but the paint looks gold-yellow. I think it is too warm a color like others are saying, but it is a beautiful color. Live with it a couple of days.

• Denise6229
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The granite is New Venetian Gold. It is amazing how different it looks whether you are looking at it close up or from a distance. Here is a close up picture with paint color. Thank you to everyone for opinions. So many people with a great eye for color and detail!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think you need to change the paint color.

Agree on the dark orb faucet. Maybe it looks different in person.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Denise, the New Venetian Gold Granite Counters are gorgeous up close and the wall color is off. I think a white backsplash picking up the white in the granite may have the granite be the star and work better. I wonder what others will say.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I also think the faucet needs to coordinate with the hardware on the cabinets. Put some black electrical tape on the knobs and handles to get an idea of how they would look if you changed them to ORB. I see your stove has a black top so I personally would change out the cabinet hardware. Also think your wall paint may need to change. That is really hard to tell with photos on line.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I also feel a stainless steel faucet or faucet that goes with your dishwasher would look so much better in your kitchen.

Here is a Cherry Kitchen (NewHomeBuilder) that has the New Venetian Gold Counters with a darker gold paint color. But also see how it looks with white backsplashes. I think the faucet should be changed and so should the paint.

The counters are beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Venetian Gold Counters in this thread

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

New Venetian Gold & similar granites with backsplashes & Silver Faucets in the link below for you Denise.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Venetian Gold & similar granites with backsplashes & Silver Faucets

• Vertise
    10 years ago

My response on the paint color was based on the first photo. The second one blends much better. It looks completely different there but could be what is throwing you off. What are you not liking?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Post a photo looking into the kitchen.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I am impressed by how well this granite goes well with so many colors of cabinets. It does not seem like a big deal to add a BS, change color of faucet, or color.

at this point, the last picture of your color looked grayish/beige cool, not warm. I could see adding a vase in black or other accesorries.

Live with it a little while.

• mmoo1978
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous!!!!! Love how great the faucet looks with it -- I think you've made great choices!

• nancylee_ky
    10 years ago

I agree with others that said the wall color in your 2nd picture looks very different from the 1st picture, at least on my monitor. Is the actual color yellow or more beige?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Pic 1, the wall color looks way warmer than the counter; pic 2, is the reverse, with the wall color looking quite cool and the granite warmer; but it looks like it works.
    I guess that means that we can't advise. What is it that bothers you?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Have to wonder if the counter in the first picture is really that white and bright, looking at the linked kitchens which show a lot of gold.

• Denise6229
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the picture looking into the kitchen. I know the red appliances are not a good match. Thinking I will change the counter top knobs & look for counter decor to pull the shades together & then maybe take out 4 in. backsplash & add a tile backsplash down the line. They are growing on me. They look so different based on lighting & how close you are to them.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The counter in the photo does not appear to have any gold. It is very bright and has a black & white scale look to it. This is not accurate is it? How gold is the counter? Is there as much contrast as the photo shows? Can you find an online picture you feel resembles it?

What are you not liking?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 23:17

• blfenton
    10 years ago

When you say you are gong to change the "counter top knobs" do you mean the cabinet knobs? Because I think dark knobs and pulls to match your faucet would look amazing on your cabinets..

• schicksal
    10 years ago

I think the lighting is causing the perceived color change. It looks like the pictures were taken at night and the kitchen has lighting a bit on the bright side. Some cooler lighting would probably help bring gout more of the cream/tan in the granite if that's what you're looking for. Think: lighting at 3,000K, no more than 3,500.

• eibren
    10 years ago

I keep seeing a pretty pot of yellow daffodils on the counter and thinking how nice that would look....

:o)

• sundownr
    10 years ago

The photos you posted give you the answer.
    #1 paint color looks wrong
    #2 paint color looks good and I probably would have chosen it comparing the granite to a paint chip
    #3 paint color looks wrong

I think you will be happy with a different color and I think you can choose one that will work with the color in the other room.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Delete

This post was edited by may_flowers on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 16:49

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I have NVG in my bathroom and very similar paint with cherry cabinets. The granite is definitely warm not cool.

Your kitchen is beautiful. The paint is beautiful. You don't need to change a thing. I doubt the pictures here are showing the accurate colors of the granite.

IMO you just need a neutral subway tile backsplash to finish it off and possibly some accessories in the same color.

Honestly, it is a lovely kitchen.