Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question about faucet finishes - stainless v. satin nickel?

Posted by MizLizzie (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 22:26

So I'm still looking for a main sink faucet for our reno, having given up my Waterstone fantasies. My Waterstone knock-off came from Overstock, and it looks wonderful. Very solid. The finish is "satin nickel." So in looking at main faucets to match it, I noticed a lot of what I liked was just called "stainless." I have a stainless one now, in fact.

So today I saw a Blanco I liked. The color was given as
stainless. But in parentheses, it said (SATIN NICKEL).

Hmmm . . . .

So, I got my bargain Overstock faucet out and compared it to my existing main faucet. The finishes are nearly identical. Soft gray with a faint brown-gold cast. So is "satin nickel" just a fancy word for stainless steel? Duh!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question about faucet finishes - stainless v. satin nickel?

Nickel and stainless are different metals that look very similar. They both come in matte (satin) finishes. Some all-nickel (vs nickel "finish") faucets (mine are Dornbracht and Rohl) will tarnish slightly over time and require maintenance similar to polishing silver. I use Flitz for that (though it isn't needed frequently).

I'd find out if a nickel faucet have protective coating, which some nickel-finish faucets do. Those might simply need wiping down with a soft cloth, just like stainless.

o

Okay, thanks. True stainless is steel mixed with a little nickel, isn't it?

I just hope I can get these faucets to match. My prep faucet says nothing about any coating, and it seems to be just bare metal.

o

See the link on the stainless composition.

IME if you want a perfect match then stick with the same brand. But a blend can be fine, too. It depends on each piece.

The thing about the finishes is that the highest end faucets are all metal and more popular priced faucets may be nickel coating on another material. The weight of the faucet will let you know, generally, how much metal it has. The heavier the better.

But the process for creating the finishes is quite good and its rare to hear of a faucet finish wearing badly.

If there isn't info on the finish then I wouldn't use the polish, just a microfiber cloth with whatever cleaner the manufacturer recommends for their products. My satin nickel faucets clean up really well with a microfiber cloth. No babying required.

Here is a link that might be useful: composition of stainless steel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here