Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Tea Towel Report

plllog
14 years ago

My dear friends, I have just hand washed washed and dried (with some help), everything in my kitchen, some dishes many times. Well, I did machine wash and hand dry three loads (parts were ordered, repair is happening next week). My clothes dryer, which really is mostly for towels, was a bit wonky before the remodel, and the solenoid didn't survive the moving into the dining room for 10 months and back. It's now repaired, but in the meantime I used every old towel I had, while the wash load was drip drying.

I have a variety of tea towels acquired through the years, and a couple dozen new towels I got because of suggestions in the topic we had last summer. Here's my take on how well they did, in more or less chronological order of acquisition (it's either that or color as an organizational principle, and I figure by date would also demonstrate availability).

Old Home Towels (i.e., Mother gave them to me when I moved away): Heavy cotton birdseye with red stripes. Beloved old towels. No one but me is allowed to touch them. They're the best. Ever.

100% Linen (link to type for illustration--not exact): Yellow plaid and stripes. Simply lovely for drying dishes. No lint. A bit stiff. Can get soaked quickly, but will dry a lot of dishes if they've been set aside to drain a little first. Linen towels get better and better with age and use, then start getting less so when they go limp and the fibers are all broken.

Williams-Sonoma 100% Cotton Stripes: Kind of a basket style weave. These are about 15 years old and my favorites for utility use every day in the kitchen. The ones I'm most likely to put out for drying hands, or to use on my handwash items like knives and pots. Very heavy weight, pretty absorbent, wear like iron. The towels in the link have a different stripe pattern but look like the same fabric.

I'm ignoring the strange white cloths that are small and stain easily.

100% Cotton Flour Sack (ACS, below at the end, carries these as do everyone else): These are big and thin, and pretty low lint. They're great for drying glasses and other narrow things because they bunch up so easily. They're absorbent, but so thin they're soaked almost immediately.

Terrycloth: The all cotton old one has been relegated to hand drying in the camping box. It's bad for dish drying. The very pretty green floral Laura Ashley one with the eyelet border and satinate pink ribbon is too heavily printed to be as absorbent as I'd like, and is saved for pretty rather than use. (Must have been a gift--I didn't even remember I had it.)

Simply Shabby Chic 100% cotton combination weave (couldn't find anything like it online and they were a gift so I have no reference besides the tag): White waffle and straight weave with pale green jacquard stripe with roses. Okay absorbency, very pretty. Good for use in front of company. Not bad, but not as good as the old cotton or linen.

Ritz Flemish Lintless Glass Wonder Towels (100% cotton) from Kilian's, thanks to Cat_Mom: These have a kind of loose weave that's almost like a seersucker, being looser and tighter in stripes. They have a wondferul, thick feeling without really being all that thick. They dry really well. And they come in downhomey plaids as well as plain. I think these may be my new go to, daily use towels. They're the same price as the Williams-Sonoma but worth it.

Cotton Birdseye from ACS (scroll down to the very bottom on the right), thanks to Mcraney: I can never thank Mcraney enough!!! She remembered I was looking for birdseye, happened upon these and e-mailed the source to me. I wasn't washing and hanging 2 dozen new towels (1 doz. of these, and one of the Ritz), so I've only gotten to use them since the dryer was fixed. Oh, JOY!!! When they first came I thought they were awfully thin. Then they were washed and puffed up a bit. I think they may puff up some more as the fibers loosen a bit. By far the most absorbent towel of all. They're just plain white, which is fine if unexciting. The perfect size. Hands down the best all around dryers.

My only problem now is that my towel drawer is stuffed. I could take out some of the new two dozen. I suppose my mother would have saved half of each kind. But as long as the drawer shuts, I'm not giving linen cupboard space to tea towels. Not when they could be in the kitchen ready to dry more dishes!!

Comments (11)

• pinch_me
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I looked for some genuine old ones today! I took a vacation day and my childhood friend and I went junking. I didn't find floursack dish towels like I remembered my mom embroidering. That's one thing I was looking for. I'm going to look at your links anyway. When I got moved back in I had the same overabundance of hand towels. I took the ugly used ones and set them aside. Maybe they will become dog towels. I'm not going to hang those things in my new kitchen! White is good. You can see right away if they're dirty.

Everything my sister and I sent to the household happy hunting grounds when our parents died is now on my To Buy List. Go figure.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Hehe. My towel drawer is one that is 30" deep (front to back not top to bottom). Not quite full, and not a good towel in the bunch. Thanks for the review!

• blubird
    14 years ago

I love those Williams-Sonoma towels...for some reason I'd always used terrycloth dish towels (I've been married a longggg time) and had never tried any other weave. I saw these W-S towels in a great stripe and bought them - now I won't use anything else!

Helene

• wa8b
    14 years ago

I like pure linen for drying dishes. Unfortunately, they're getting harder to find, and they're getting expensive. For years I ordered them from the Vermont Country Store, but the last time I ordered from them, I think they were up to something like $12-$15 each. Now, I think they no longer even stock them.

Recently, I was in IKEA to pick up something for a friend who lives in Hawaii (where there is no IKEA). While there, I spotted pure linen tea towels that are made in Russia. Two for $6.99. What a bargain! They're good-sized, white with black window pane stripes, and just as absorbent and lint-free as the towels I've used for years. I recommend them.

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wa8b, I agree on the linen for dishes, but it's not so great on pots (too soaked too fast) and I can pitch a lot of wet cotton towels into the laundry for the price of one linen. :)

• teaforwendy
    14 years ago

Oooh. Great post. I will look for some linen next time I get to an IKEA.

I have the WS striped ones in several colors and they work great for glasses, including fun green and red for Christmas and pink and light green for spring; BUT, I like the WS all white tea towels better for drying big pots and pans, they are more absorbant and get better with age. However, my usual M.O. is to place a tea towel or two on my counter and stack the dishes and glasses to air dry. Wonder if I'll feel differently in my new kitchen?

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

plllog - thanks so much for the report. If I ever get a kitchen, I will need new towels.

• semi
    14 years ago

Target makes a great W-S knock off. Basketweave towel with blue stripes. I love them. They are great for drying, for acting as a dry rack and also for cleaning floors, walls and table top.

I recommend them highly.

Thanks for the report on the other types of towels.

I do love tea towels brought home from vacations far and wide. I am always happy to be reminded of happy times and happy vacations.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

I often find, that as much as I love something, when a new something comes along, I'll at least give it a try. Not so with my Ritz/Flemish Wonder Towels. Once I bought them, I was hooked, and never looked back! Even after all these years, I'm still amazed that they continue to dry things even when they're pretty well damp.

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh .... I love bar rags. They get dirty, get washed/bleached and go on. They aren't pretty or fancy, but 100% cotton and tough as nails! And they were free. One of the restaurant supply delivery guys took a liking to us and dropped off brand new bar towels on the bumper of my car. I think we got 100 of them. Use them all the time!

• misplacedtxgal
    14 years ago

Just inherited all of my mother's old towels. My drawer is brimming full. Many of her's she handpainted, so I get a nice surprise & a tug at the heartstrings when I pull one out!

I also just discovered that the old egyptian cotton diapers are wonderful on the new SS appliances. I paid a fortune for those things back in the day, but have definitely gotten my moneys worth.