Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktj459

Low cost cabinet options- which is better?

ktj459
10 years ago

So, we were originally going to go for Shiloh inset painted cabinets, but we ran into some mold elsewhere in the house (ah the joys of buying a fixer-upper) and are thinking we might have to go for a less expensive option to make up for that cost. If we end up going for a lower cost option, what do you think is better, in-stock cabinets by home decorators collection from big box, or Ikea Adel in off-white? We would try to make both look a little more high end with crown moulding and having other nice finishes.

Comments (8)

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Have you priced custom builders in your area? I only ask because initially we were going to go with in stock cabinets from Home Depot because of the price but I took the advice of others and decided to go ahead and get some quotes from custom cabinet makers. I was able to get custom built cabinets (unfinished) cheaper than any other option. I stained and polyed them myself.

If you are wanting painted cabinets, it wouldn't be too hard to do yourself. IMHO, painting is a lot easier than staining. Even if you didn't want to do it yourself, you could price what it would cost to have a professional painter finish them.

Just a thought.

• bbtrix
    10 years ago

Love, love, love my evolving Ikea Lidingo/Ramsjo kitchen. IMHO, Big Box stock cabs do not compare. We did two Adel Birch kitchens in our rentals and will complete our current remodel in about a month. Very happy with the results so far and cannot wait to put it to work!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I picked IKEA cabinets because they are a great price for the quality. The drawers & hardware are just fabulous - we are in the process of installing them. We are planning to get custom doors and drawer fronts from a local cabinet maker - we can get them sprayed or stained in any colour. The price of custom fronts isn't that bad - comparable to some of the more costly IKEA door prices.

I recommend going to an IKEA kitchen and really checking out the hardware and interiors of an IKEA kitchen - IMHO, that's where a lot of the value is.

Most of my budget is going towards flooring and granite counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA kitchens on remodelista blog

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 0:12

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Another IKEA kitchen. You can order your cabinet boxes & inside drawer/hardware - because it's very good quality - from IKEA, then order your door/drawer fronts from an online company that does just doors, for pretty much the same price as getting it all from IKEA. You may even find a co. in your area that does just doors/drawer fronts. I priced out getting everything from IKEA, then priced just the boxes & drawers/hardware, from IKEA & doors/drawer fronts from Scherrs & Advantage (2 online co's) & it came it to almost the same price. For me, I don't care for the colors that IKEA has & want mine painted. So, it was a no brainer for me to do it this way. If you ck out dutty's IKEA super hack thread, you'll see what I'm talking about.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Local cabinet makers may make doors/fronts/panels to order - that's what I'm doing. Although some online companies make it easy to order IKEA fronts, my local company's prices are much more affordable than Scherrs so I'm willing to deal with the hassle of providing them with exact measurements.

I really love the SuperFront and Semihandmade online IKEA custom front suppliers though - so amazing (and ideas that can be copied too ;) ).

from Superfront:

• kompy
    10 years ago

Did you check out Shiloh's lower end line called "ASPECT"? If not, contact your Shiloh dealer and have them price it out for you! If they use 20/20 software, they should be able to get you a comparison price fairly quick! The pic below is Aspect's Aspen door painted in the Tundra white color. It's a limited line, but has most of the standard cabinet sizes and features.

KOMPY

{{!gwi}}

• ktj459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'm looking into both Scherr's and the aspect line of shiloh.

• kompy
    10 years ago

I'm not sure why my picture didn't post. Here it is again.
    KOMPY