Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmiej_gw

How are your cabinets holding up?

kimmiej
11 years ago

Hi Fellow GWers:

I've been reading endlessly all of your insightful and often entertaining posts about kitchen cabinets. I thought it would be helpful for everyone to post their cabinet maker, age of the cabinets and how they're holding up. It is such a big investment and those of us currently trying to make an informed decision would benefit from knowing just how long our investment will hold up. Pictures welcome!

Comments (9)

• Baroo2u
    11 years ago

My cabinets are small town spec builder quality Home Depot bottom of the line. 12 yrs old & not holding up well, likely a combo of poor material and zero care from previous owners. A shining example of what not to buy if
    you're doing anything other than flipping a house for maximum profit!

Warning to those in colder winter climates--or no central heat for those cold snaps in CA/FL etc: adhesives on laminated cabinets will fail if exposed to cold temps, with the result in photo...

This post was edited by Baroo2u on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 7:17

• sis2two
    11 years ago

We went with Woodmode about 12 yrs. ago and have been so happy with the quality. Brookhaven is their sister company, is less expensive, and is also great quality. We went with Kraftmaid in our laundry room and upstairs bathrooms, and those have also held up very well. With the Kraftmaid, we did upgrade to the higher end of the cabinetry.

• okpokesfan
    11 years ago

We have Kraftmaid in one bathroom (11 years old) and they still look and function great. We also put Kraftmaid in our kitchen about 4 years ago and they are still looking and performing very well!

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

I just renovated a kitchen with 19-year-old Woodmode cabinets. They still in great condition. No-one can believe how old they are. They are medium-stained cherry, shaker style. Although they might not have been my first choice in stain, the style of the cabinets is classic enough that many people think I just installed them.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I went with Woodmode 7-8 yrs ago in inset. The stained island still looks good. The vintage white finish...not so much. Lots of dings and chips in the finish from what I would consider everyday living. For the price I would not use them again.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    11 years ago

Ikea, back in 2007. Adel white and not a chip or ding to be seen. Soft close works perfectly. I've haven't even had to adjust the door hinges: everything still perfectly level. The finish is as good as the day they were installed, and they see plenty of action.

• LE
    11 years ago

Ours were built by our next-door neighbor, so custom, in the mid-80s, before we bought the house. They are plywood boxes with full extension pull-outs. He was an early adopter of frameless construction, in this area anyway. We had those laminate and oak edged doors and drawer fronts, replaced them with cherry 8 years ago or so. But the cabinets themselves should last several more decades, hinges, slides and all.

• acheavacci
    11 years ago

We have builders cabinets from Homecrest. I must say the boxes are still very nice. The doors do have dings and are not full extension. But overall after 12 years things have held up nicely since they are considered builder grade.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

IKEA Nexus (discontinued yellow-brown color), now entering their fourth year.The cabinets have held up beautifully, with drawer mechanisms as smooth as ever, and no problem with the weight of dishes or pots/pans in the 30" and 36" deep drawers.

The only problem came from something unrelated to everyday kitchen use -- a skylight leak that led to puddles. We have panels to the floor on the ends of the island, and they managed to wick up some moisture from the puddles, so are discolored at the bottom. We'd swap out the panels if the color hadn't been discontinued. We're not worried about it for now, but if and when we decide to sell we'll need to address it somehow,

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio