Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francoise47

Modern vs. traditional: wide inset cabinets

francoise47
13 years ago

We have been planning our inset wall cabinet units to be 36" wide (for the full, two doors cabinet) by 32" tall with a 16" tall stack on top of that. (We have 9 foot ceilings.)

But, inspired by mamadadapaige's GW kitchen, I'm starting to wonder if the cabinets would look better even wider, perhaps 21" wide for each side, for a total of 42" for the whole cabinet width. The single wall cabinets would then move from 18" wide to 21" wide. I so that the proportions would remain the same on all wall cabinets.

I'm noticing that a lot of the inset kitchens I love the most on GW (like Katieob's) seems to have slightly wider wall cabinet doors. Or, maybe as I inch toward placing my cabinet order I'm just second guessing myself.

If you have inset wall cabinets, do you mind sharing how wide the cabinets are (or how wide the doors are)? Does anyone with inset cabinets regret not going wider (or narrower) with your doors? Do narrower doors look more "traditional" and wider doors read more "modern"? Other suggestions about how to think about the width or inset wall cabinets?

Mamadadapaige's kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to mamdadapaige's beautiful white kitchen

Comments (8)

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Well, her doors aren't inset, but I just stayed at my MIL's house for a week and she has some extremely narrow, and some extremely wide upper cabinet doors. The narrow ones really don't fit much, and the wide ones require you to step back in order to avoid getting whacked in the face. I'm guessing her wide one is a 36" with 2 18" doors.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I don't think this question pertains to just inset doors. There were a couple of threads several weeks ago about door width maximums for ease of use. I think that 21" wide is pushing the limits of a comfortable size. I hate the feeling of having to stand back or move over to open a wide upper cab door. I have one that size in our temporary house and since it's located at the very end of the cab run next to a wall, I only open it standing to one side anyway. I'd hate it if it was a door I accessed often. Do you have a way to mock it up with cardboard or the like to try that size out?

• francoise47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dear Joy and Breezy, Thanks for your responses. Your points about the problem of too big a door swing is useful. Useful to know that you think a 21" inset door is pushing it. I've taped it out on the wall. But I hadn't thought of a full 3-D mock up. Not a bad idea- thanks!

• francoise47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry to shamelessly bump my own post. Just curious if there are any other thoughts out there about the aesthetics and function of wider (up to 21" wide) inset wall cabinets. Do they look more modern or more traditional?

Does anyone know how wide Katieob's inset wall cabinets are? Guesses?
    {{!gwi}}

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Rhome had a well written post about the width of uppers on someones post about their baking center cabs. I want to say it was macybaby, but I could be wrong. If you can find the thread, it might help.

You'd have to take a guess on Katies uppers, but there are some clues. It looks like her range is 36". The base cabs and counter to the left of it look to be about that same width. (The camera angle is affecting the perspective so it's a bit hard to tell.) That would make her upper doors each about 18" on that side.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dear breezygirl, Thanks for your recommendation of Rhome's post on GW. I'll look for it. I think you are right about the 18" dimensions of Katieob's cabnets -- thank for your estimate.

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi!

I just love to gaze at Mamadadapaige's kitchen!! My cab maker talked me out of all slab drawer fronts, but I'll def do that next go round. I love the look!

As for my upper cabs, I think you are right about 18 inches. We have moved, otherwise I'd measure for you. If I can locate the drawings anywhere, I'll let you know! I always found the size to be perfect, no issues.
    Can't wait to see your progress!

Katie

• francoise47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dear Katieob,

Thanks, as always, for your helpful GW advise and inspiring kitchen. If you do find your drawings, I'd love to see them.

My DH, who is supportive of the remodel, but not super engaged, has only gotten excited by one kitchen picture in the two plus years of planning during which I've shoved hundreds of pictures in his face while he was trying to read the NY Times. When he saw your kitchen he simply said, "Do that!" (He has such good taste.)