Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Anyone have pics of fridge flanked by tall pantries?

deedles
11 years ago

Looking for any images of a fridge flanking by tall narrow pantries. Thinking about 12 or 13" wide if you are looking at them from the front. Also, thinking of doors that open on the side, so you'd have a 24 or 27" wide, 12 deep pantry, looking at it from the side of the fridge. Kind of like this one on the the side of Grlswprls fridge (GW post from 2011) but on both sides.

thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: grlswprls tall pantry

Comments (25)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I have two, 12" wide pullouts to the left of fridge, and a 9"x24" side-opening pantry to the right.

Here is a drawing:

And here is a bit of a tight shot of the real thing:

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey! That's nice! How do you like the 9" deep one? Can I see inside it? (nosy nosy). Just wondering what you keep there and how much fits, etc, etc.

I was thinking about you and wanted to ask you where you found the copper for your fridge panels, too.

Tell me more about your pantries, that's as close to what I was thinking as anything I've seen.

Thanks Angie!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Mine isn't a pantry, but could be. It holds dishes on 2 shelves and small appliances (blender and food processor) on the top shelf. The bottom hold cookie sheets and racks. The very top door is only reached if I stand in a chair - I don't even remember what's up there. lol

{{!gwi}}

Here are more pictures: My Kitchen

I had copper panels our the fridge in our last house, and got the copper from my HVAC guy. I have 2 copper backsplashes (left of fridge on pine hutch, in laundry room) in this house, as well as the copper hood and ceiling in the powder room. Got all of the sheets again from our HVAC guy. He came out to measure and cut the ones on the hood.

Rococogurl's kitchen has cabinets on either side of her fridge:

Here are more pictures: Rococo Kitchen

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Allison: I remember your beautiful kitchen and house! Yours was one of the first ones that I was exposed to when I was first on GW. I took your house tour online, so gorgeous. Maybe I'll take the tour again today :). So, you can cram a lot of stuff in that skinny vertical can next to the fridge is what it sounds like. I'm sold on vertical storage for my little kitchen. And thanks for the HVAC tip. Never even occurred to me but it makes perfect sense. Can I ask if you installed the copper for your hood and backsplash raw and let it do its patina thing, or did you do something else to it first? Also thanks for the link to Rococco's kitchen. I'm getting some really good ideas here!
    jstehl: Is the tall pantry on the right of your fridge set back farther than the left one? It looks that way to me in the pic? Your left one is just about exactly what I have in mind for mine. I like the idea of the side access for things I don't need all the time but still want in the kitchen. Thank you. I'm clipping this post, this is really helping me.

If anyone has pics of their shallow pantries that they'd like to show off, I'd love to see them, too!

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

Here is mine. 24" wide x 27" deep, each. There are four pullouts and three fixed shelves in each. We put the things that we don't use very much towards the back of the top three shelves because they are very deep. All our food goes into the one to the left and all our small appliances go into the one on the right.

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

Here is our refrigerator flanked by two narrow pull-out Haefele pantries, hope this helps.
    Lynn

{{!gwi}}

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

another angle, better picture:

{{!gwi}}

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

The left side is a pullout. The right side is a cupboard which opens on the side, around the corner. It was going to be a broom closet but quickly morphed into more food storage!

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jerzeegirl: that fridge wall looks great, thank you. Are those lowers heavy to pull out at that width?

farmgirlinky: I keep forgetting to focus on your pantries, your kitchen is so lovely and so close to the finishes that we're going towards. May I ask what wood and finish used for your cabs? Interested in your ceiling lights, too. Can you share what those are? Do you have a finished kitchen reveal?

Shanghaimom: thank you for posting yours, too. Do you prefer the side access cab more than the pullout? I'm using your stove pass throughs as inspiration for my stove wall, btw.

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Deedles, I do prefer the side cabinet. I know people love their pullouts, but for me, things tend to fall over and turn into a big jumble quickly.

My last kitchen had a fixed-shelf pantry that was way too deep and things got lost. I thought a pullout would be a nice feature to remedy the problem, but I don't like it at all. For me, A 12" deep (quite shallow) cabinet with adjustable shelves is great for canned and dry pantry items.

I'm so glad the range pass-thru thing is helping you solve your issue! It works so well for us.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

You're so sweet, Deedles. Thank you! I need to retake photos as a lot has changed since the tour! There are newer posts that show some areas of the house that are more recent.

I did not have time to do anything to the sheets before they were installed. The backsplash sheets are glued to the wall (thank you, DH). The laundry room gets wet sometimes and cleaned with a damp rag more often than the pine hutch copper, so it has changed more.

I could remove the range hood and get a better patina going, but who has time?! The guys that made the sliding panels that go over the great room TV hosed them off/let dry, repeated a few times and it has a nice patina. You can see that copper in the Holiday, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Christmas Mantel

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

Here's a link to a larder. I haven't heard that term for a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: larder

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. I'd let you take a peek inside, but I cannot find my camera!! (And I am going on vacation to a beautiful place next week, so I either have to find it or buy a new camera!)

I really like the 9" depth. I store things like canned goods and coffee cans and cornmeal/oatmeal canisters, and I store them two-deep. It is perfect, because you can see everything at a glance, but still lots of room.
    As for the copper, I bought it at Menard's (kind of like Lowe's). It is sold as roof flashing, and it comes in either 6" or 20" (or is it 24?) wide sheets.

I laid mine out in the backyard for two months to patina. Here it is at the beginning of the process:

And here it is at the end:

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sanghaimom: thanks for your POV on the pullouts. I'm liking the wider sideways access (less$$, too) cabinet. Adjustable shelves is a good idea, though.
    Allison: The patina on your TV cover is perfect. Just sprayed with h20 and dried a couple times, huh? Easy enough, thanks for the info!
    Joyce: Wow. Wouldn't you love to have enough room for that big boy? Well, maybe you do, lol. Beautiful.
    Angie: Vacation somewhere without rain/sleet or snow you mean? Nice.
    Menards? Excellent! We live at Menards. I'll have to check those out next time. Thanks for that tip. Also the shallow depth info. It seeming that less (depth) is more in this case. This whole thread has been really helpful and I thank everyone that has weighed in.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Thanks. They said they poured buckets of water over, let dry. Repeated.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

deedles: No they are very easy to pull out - they have Blum glides which attach to blocks which attach to the sides of the cabinet. The grocery pantry doesn't have much weight on any of the shelves. I keep cans on the first stationery shelf to not overweight any of the sliding shelves. On the appliance side I have the weight distributed pretty evenly on all the shelves - so far so good. I just needed the space and this was really the only way I could get it.

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

Deedles, glad you liked those finishes! The cabinets are vertical grain fir, with a Rubio Monocoat oil finish. The monorail lighting is by Edge Lighting, the Harley head on a 2-circuit monorail. The lighting has been the one thing in the kitchen that has given us some trouble: as it turns out the low-voltage monorail lighting is really finicky, and we've had to have some of the heads rewired, and one of the canopies replaced, only to have the same circuit short out again. Electricians seem to agree that they are a pain. But when they all are working, the light is great. I wanted to avoid pendants for this kitchen. Can't say whether Tech Lighting has a better record for problem-free functioning: I think the finickiness is universal to monorail low-voltage systems. Be sure and have them installed by someone who is very familiar with them.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Rococogurl's pantry with decorative shelves on the side is fabulous! I've been trying to find examples of that idea...Farmgirlinky, do you have any other pictures of your fridge area that show the decorative shelves a bit more?

Deedles- How is the kitchen remodel coming along? I'm so excited for you and your DH and hoping you finish your cabin this summer! :)

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

We're putting in these 12" pantries around a 36" Electrolux fridge. Side-opening pantry on the side you can see here. On the other side, a drop down secretary w/charging stations. Above it will be bookshelves and below it our shredder and another shelf, all all behind doors. Good luck!

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

farmgirlinky: thanks for the info on the lights. We're trying to figure out what we're doing with lighting right now. Fir is such a beautiful wood for cabinets. Yours are lovely.
    Lavender: I've been asked to take a break from the kitchen planning as we're working on the LR right now. But! The kitchen is next! Woohoo! Getting this done to move this year is looking very doable, thank you for asking. :)
    Mizlizzie: is there any chance you have a picture of the bookshelf cabinet on the other side of your fridge?

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

It's not much to look at all shut up but I think it will work miracles for us. All three sections will have power. At one point, we had the notion of leaving the top open. I will try to find an old pic of that.

• PRO
    Salmon Falls Cabinetry
    11 years ago

This one has been going around Pinterest. My wife said she would kill for this pantry in our home. Sorry, I know it is not a narrow pantry.

This post was edited by KentWhitten on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 19:04

• akcorcoran
    11 years ago

OK, so this is a most unglamorous pic compared to above but we're almost there... Our Elux Icon All Fridge, All Freezer going in on Thursday, so right now it's a lonely home for a step stool and broom. :-)

But we DO have a full-size pantry to the left with pull outs. I love it already!

(If it's next to a wall, be sure you put enough filler to the side where the wall is to be able to open the cabinet doors fully.)

• akcorcoran
    11 years ago

Just noticed the shovel there too - we look like ax murderers! Anyway, here's a peek at the inside of the new pantry. All pull out for easy access.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES