Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephct

BeekeepersWife

stephct
13 years ago

Hi BeekeepersWife...I just read this in the pot rack thread.

"I would love to post a before and after, but Photobucket has lost my photos that included my before shots, so here is an after, imagine a potrack, about the size of that island....it blocked the view, visually made the space smaller."

My kitchen has almost the same layout as the picture of your kitchen you posted, although I think mine is smaller. My cooktop is in my island. We are redoing our kitchen, but not changing our layout or getting new cabinets, it's just a facelift. Anyway, we currently have no ventilation in our kitchen. I've been convinced by GW about how important a hood is and I really can't stand the cooking smells. My concern is that a hood is going to do exactly what you described above. It's going to be the first thing you see when you walk in the kitchen and it's going to make the space seem smaller.

I'm not really sure what my question is...you just wrote exactly what I've been worrying about. I'm guessing you wouldn't give up a hood for these reasons?

btw, I LOVE your kitchen! It's one of my inspiration kitchens.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Comments (2)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Hey stephct, first thanks for the compliment, that is very nice.

Unfortunately I think you need to go with ventilation, you know how important it is. With that being said a couple of ideas come to mind. In my pre-reno kitchen, the stove was about where it is now, just a few inches further to the right (micro-hood over it with a cabinet), and there was a fridge about 18" to the left of it. We moved the fridge to another wall, where our pantry was. We went to a local cabinetmaker who makes the furniture for those unfinished furniture places and had them match our doors/drawers-they made us the base cabinet to the left of the range and one of the uppers. Since we were painting our oak cabinets this worked out for us.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is perhaps there is a way that you can move your cooktop/range to an outside wall and that way you can get the ventilation you need without cluttering up the entire space.

Will you be replacing counters anyway? If not, maybe if you just move the cooktop, someone could cut out a place for the cooktop on the perimeter, and you just need to buy a counter for the island. Could the cabinet that is in the island that has the cooktop be swapped with one on the perimeter?

There is going to be significant expense in installing an island hood, so perhaps that money could go towards just reworking your footprint without going crazy. I mean, that is what we did--just by moving a few things, it really is so much better.

And of course, there is always the down draft option. Most people hate them, and yet there are those that say it is their only option and there might be a good one or two out there that would work. I don't' have any information on them at all--but I'm sure the appliance forum does.

Finally, as you know the folks here are amazing with floorplans. I suggest you post some photos, and a floorplan and see if the brains here can figure out a way to get your cooktop relocated without it being a major problem or cost.

Good luck, I hope I gave you some ideas, since like you said, you don't really have a question.

-Bee

• stephct
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bee-
    Thank you SO much! This was so helpful. You gave me a lot to think about.

So glad you reposted your house pictures, I love your style.

Thanks,
    Stephanie