Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carters5_gw

Can someone help, please? Weary....

carters5
16 years ago

Believe it or not I am STILL struggling with the backplash. I am thinking Cartglass Aventurine Lux in Champagne for the area behind the cooktop and trying to ease in or blend another tile to match so that the entire backsplash isn't all tiny little glass pieces. I have also thought I might like to incorporate brick somewhere if I don't use the glass tiles. Who is it that is so good at doing the "mock-ups"? Or any suggestions on how to do it myself? This is taking WAY TOO LONG to actually finish this kitchen. The Aventurine pic is below the kitchen pics. What do you think? HELP!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (104)

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I am going to Starbucks (even though I have my wonderful Miele). I need to get out of here for a while and clear my brain fog. My tile sheets should come today and I will put them up and take some actual pics and post them. Robin: If you want to play with the last two pics up above that would be WONDERFUL!!

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Okay, but I'll take a venti raspberry mocha please. With whipped cream (you only live once).

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Here they are...FWIW, I really like the first one, but still not as much as the adventurine. I blurred it a little to tone it down some and make it look less choppy. I also flipped some of the tiles and layered them so it wasn't so uniform.
    {{!gwi}}
    this one, not so much...but it's hard to get a real feel for what it would look like with your lighting and your cabinets in person...
    {{!gwi}}

Robin

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

Again Robin you are sooo talented. It is amazing though how you like something until you actually see it in place (ok...sort of). FWIW, I now don't like the bottom tile.

Also, I am fixing to eat my words about liking glass tile better for your kitchen so here goes...have you looked at Jodi in So Cal's back splash the name of it is Jeffrey Court Pietra Opus Collection.

It is a mix of stone with little glass blocks in it and from the pictures it would pick up the colors in your cabinetry, CT, floors, and your stainless. Not to mention accentuate the natural stone of your floor and CT while still having the sleekness of some glass. (Still eating my words :)...

I found two threads I will list one and post one. Try this link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0316332622013.html

and the other is below...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0317553522302.html

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

It's me again....Sorry, I forgot to mention the specific name of the tile as I just gave the name of the collection in the previous post. The actual name is Quartz Brick Fire and Ice in the Jeffrey Court Pietra Opus Collection Chapter 9.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

adventurine is still the winner, to me.

my eye (and i also tend to like things clean, simple, and unadorned) doesn't read that as 'busy'. my eye doesn't see every little tile when i look at the room, it just sees an overall light brownish color that has some texture to it.

it seems busy to you, only because we're microanalyzing it so much. once you do it and step back, i don't think your eyes will see it quite the same way as you're seeing it now.

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Louisianapurchase: As if I am not confused enough. I do love that look as well though and believe it or not, I did see this on GW a few weeks ago and liked it but dismissed it because I thought I had too many organic materials in here. It actually looks really good with the old stone on our pool which the kitchen overlooks.

That's why I started looking at the glass tiles. I thought I needed a little pizazz. But I am open to any suggestions! I think my hardest problem was trying to find a blending tile for the Adventurine.

Robin: What do you think? Can you work with this:
    {{!gwi}}

Still waiting for FedEx to show up...

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Here it is. I like it but darn if I don't still love that adventurine more!
    {{!gwi}}
    Robin

• edlakin
    16 years ago

that one really changes the feel of the room. much more somber and dark-feeling.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

I like the style, but I don't think the colors do anything for your countertop at all. Your counter is gorgeous by the way. And I went back and looked at your other kitchen picture for the first time since you started this thread and WHAT A CUTE PUPPY!!! What kind of pup is that? And how many dogs do you have? That's a lot of dishes you've got! Funny it took me so long to notice that, but I've been so focused on that one picture.

Robin

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. With all of the posters on here worrying about their marble, I am glad I chose this one.

I had 4 pups. The one in the pic is a shorkie, mix between a yorkie and a sh_tszu. I actually gave her to a friend of mine and that was very sad but after having her here it was just too much with 4 and a cat. I have two cockapoos, a yorkie and a himalayan. Here they are:

Back to the kitchen: I hung the two samples that came today and here's a pic. The only problem is that a month or so ago I painted gray behind the cooktop to see what these other particular tiles would look like that I liked. But after seeing that paint, I KNEW I wouldn't like it but I never repainted. So although the Adventurine looks great, the whole kitchen looks darker because of the gray. I laid white paper behind the new tiles and it really brightens up the tiles so I am going to paint all of the walls white and find a light grout. I am guessing white. What do you think? I am really excited now. I think this should be my final choice, as everyone has said, but I am still thinking of doing it on all walls. Do you think that's boring? I think I will like the continuity.

{{!gwi}}

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

carter..what is the glass tile in the third pic you posted way up there? I love it!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Yes - THAT tile, all walls, slightly off-white grout! It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see it.

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Debbie. To tell you the truth, I cannot remember. I didn't name all of them, I just kept uploading ones I thought I would try and saved them thinking I would go back later and find them. I am sure if you copied it and posted it with a question, someone on this forum would know it. Sorry.

pbrisjar: It's a done deal, huh? I hope it's not overkill!

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

DONE DEAL!! Absolutely!! I can't wait to see it all up, it's going to be gorgeous. Thanks for letting me be a part of your backsplash drama.

The pups are cute. The one in the 2nd pic on the leather couch looks a bit like a (much) smaller version of my goldendoodle. We're thinking of getting a small dog to add to our zoo but need one that's sturdy enough to hold his own against 100 lbs of doodle. Thinking about a pugoodle (poodle mixes work well for the allergic people in our family). Thanks for sharing the pics of your critters! Here's Sage's (the goldendoodle) St. Patrick's Day portrait. He was shaved in January, he's usually much fluffier than this...

Robin

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not to disappoint, but I HAVE to head out today to see if I can find a blending tile. After visualizing it ALL over, I think it's too fancy and overwhelming to do all over. I have to remind myself that I like simple and my gut feeling is this is too busy. (sorrrrrrrrrry). I will post when I find something. Please don't be mad at me!!!!

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

I was just about to post MISSION COMPLETE....THE EAGLE HAS LANDED and big hurrah for the last picture and to do it over all of the backsplash!!!!! Then I read your last post....too funny!!! FWIW, esp. after all of the hullaballoo, I really like the adventurine all over.

Shannon

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Oooooooooh, so close! LOL. We all seem to think that the adventurine is the way to go but it's YOUR kitchen and YOU have to live with it and we're not there seeing it all in person. You have every right to go looking for the perfect tile. If you don't think you can live with a full wall of it, then don't apologize! If you have any doubt, then don't do it!

Shannon, Mission aborted, RETREAT!;)

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

Too funny!!! LMAO (although you couldn't tell it by looking)! Poor Carter with these choices....but ditto on the it's your choice mantra. You have to live with it so go with your gut. Whatever you pick will be lovely.

Shannon

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mission complete and aborted...seems to be the story of my decorating. Once I complete something, I am ready to start over. My father tells me it's something deep rooted and once I fix that then I will like something and be satisfied. He's very funny...Anyway, I am heading to International Bath and Tile and will at least see what else is there that might be a little more natural or a little less glittery. I am one of those people who tries on the size 9 shoe, then to make sure, tries on the 8 1/2 and 10 just to make sure the 9 shoe fits. I'll bet you all are too!
    I haven't checked yet, but do you, Robin and Shannon have your finished kitchen's posted?
    Kenna

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm that way too. Drives Hubby nuts. He keeps telling me to stop shopping - the decisions have been made. SO I'll tell you - step away from the tile store.

(Of course in my case the decisions were huge compromises due to our vastly different tastes. Some of them make me very unhappy.)

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Well...I'm a size 10 shoe...there's isn't much use trying anything else, they don't go much bigger than that!

My kitchen is pretty much finished, but not posted on the FKB. Little things still to do yet. I did my backsplash and all the painting myself, DH did all the plumbing and electrical but everything else was done by pro's. My kitchen remodel was started all because of a water damaged hardwood floor and since we wanted to change the footprint, it just seemed like we should go ahead and do the whole thing then. It was pretty low budget, although we did spend around 40k (that includes a powder room remodel as well) when all was said and done. I wish I'd been able to get better appliances but I was lucky to get new ones at all honestly, mine were only 5 years old. They were white so we just changed them to SS. Our house was new when we moved in (6 years ago now) but everything was cheap even though we live in an upscale community. White thermofoil builder's grade cabinets, dark green laminate counters, poor layout, etc. The kitchen was so small that if one adult and one 100lb goldendoodle were in the kitchen, it was too much. If you opened the oven or the dishwasher, forget it. Here's a few pics of my kitchen, we knocked out an angled counter height bar and put an island with eating counter on the other side where the old breakfast nook was to add work surface and storage. There's an eating counter on the other side of the sink as well...

And I just posted a thread called "my siligranite hot tub" with this pic of DD getting her injured ankle washed...

Robin

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

I haven't actually started mine yet :(, so I am living vicariously through all of you :)!! It is a long story so I will try to summarize.

Right now we live in a small mid-century modern/cottage (if that makes sense, has a feel of both) 2br/1.5 bath. We bought this house because of location, schools, yard, and a few charming aspects with plans to add/remodel later.
    At the time we only had one DS and a dog.

Fast forward almost three years, we now have 2 DS and are packed like sardines. So not only are we planning to remodel the kitchen but do the following:

1. Knock out wall between kitchen and carport to make keeping and breakfast area.

2. Move laundry room.

3. Add on 2 bedrooms (one being master/one being small for BR/study) and a master bath.

4. Turn current breakfast room into butler's pantry/mudroom (I know...odd combo) and turn current living room into dining room. We still will have our den which is my favorite part of our house (one of the selling points).

5. Remodel existing 1/1.5 bath and do some electrical work in existing house.

6. This does not even include the outside....which I want to spice up with a Louisiana flair (Hays Town).

This is a very basic summary of what we are planning to do; however, my DH's job is based/dependent on the stock market/economy and I am sooo scared about jumping off into this right now. We were all gungho and really starting to move forward on this not too long ago and now I am scared to death. We are about to get bids on the project and that will definately help make our decision.

The funny part is that our home in our previous town had 4 br/3 ba with the one son. It may be that we just buy another house. Talk about can't make a decision!!!!!

This weekend or next week I am going to try and post some rough drafts of our remodel to get y'alls input. Sooo sorry for the hijack and long dissertation...Cheers!!!

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Robin, I think you did a great job and your kitchen is lovely and so is your daughter. I can't believe you did your backsplash yourself. Hmmm, I wonder if I could actually do that with this Oceanside tile. Um, did I say, Oceanside???? Yes, I went today and ordered actual sheets of the "cane" color, 12x12 to try behind the cooktop and I wanted 8x12 subways for the other walls but there is something about the color "cane" that the said they couldn't do in an 8x12. Bummer. So I went ahead and ordered 4 5x5 field tiles to try. So even though everyone likes the Adventurine, I am need to try the O'side (especially because I live in San Diego).

Shannon: I love the cottage/modern style too. So comfy and invitable. You definately have your work cut out for you if you stay. I hear you both about the space issue too. We built our home 18 years ago with about 2700 sq ft, lived there 14 years, moved closer to San Diego (25 minutes closer) and moved into this 1959 house where we have just about changed everything: pool, pool tile, roof on the house, garden shed and little chicken house, plumbing under the house, new sod, new kitchen, drywalled and made storage in the garage, new pottys and sinks, changed from sliders to french doors everywhere, you name it, we did it and we went from 2700 sq ft to 1650, from 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 ba to 3 bdrm and 1 1/2 baths. Our last kitchen was about 500 sq ft and this one is barely enough room for one. I guess we all have our challenges, huh? So I will post pics when the tiles get there and will possibly have to start a new thread we will see...I will call on you both by name to find you!!!!

• carters5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I meant to say 4x8 subways, not 8x12.

• mrs_tlc
    16 years ago

I agree with vwhippiechick. Those Aventurine glass tiles are gorgeous. How about putting them all the way to the ceiling behind the range with using them as a "frame" and inside the frame putting them on the diamond pattern. Then on the rest of the backsplash use the french linen tiles with a horizontal strip of the glass ones through the center (2 or 3 tiles tall)???

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

Hey guys,

Haven't been around in a few days, feeling under the weather. I can't wait to see the oceanside tile!

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Prayers for you! Yes, I am waiting for the samples to arrive (with baited breath). Eww, that sounds awful. Anyway, I understand they have to make them so it could take another week or so until they arrive. My only concern here is if when they are all up and the slight reflection from the counters and the lighting will cause them to look more gold than "cane", which is a much softer pale beigey gold/tan sort of. It's hard to explain. Will post pics as soon as they arrive though. The actual sample I posted actually looks a little lighter than the actual tiles in hand. We will see shortly though!

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Received a phone call yesterday. No "cane" Oceanside tiles in stock so they are being made and should be here by the 11th of April. Will post pics then.

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

It is funny that you posted. I was just wondering about you :) Can't wait to see!!

• goodcookin
    15 years ago

Thought I'd throw these up in case it helps with your visualization of mosaics on a backsplash. They are kitchen pictures of a small house with some awkward dimensions that we did on a tight time and materials budget. Plain Ikea cabinets, countertops, and sink, but used a mosaic-look Porcelanosa tile to pull it together and give it a bit of zip. The tile has the dark and light elements that appear to match and pull together your cabinets and countertops. This was done a year ago so I am not sure if the tiles are still available if you find them of interest. Good luck!

{{!gwi}}
    Shot with HP PhotoSmart C935 (V03.60) at 2008-04-03

{{!gwi}}
    Shot with HP PhotoSmart C935 (V03.60) at 2008-04-03

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for taking the time with your response. I do like the look of those tiles and I think in the right space, maybe used sparingly, they would look gorgeous. In my kitchen which is u-shaped I would find they would stand out much too much and be so detailed I would feel smothered. After much searching and anguish and knowing myself, I really believe I am going to LOVE the Oceanside glass tiles. I think they will make enough of a statement for me and not overwhelm the counters or me at the same time. Thank you again though for your thoughts!!!

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

We will definately want to see pictures :)

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

What a pretty little kitchen goodcookin! Hope you're feeling better louisianapurchase. Can't wait to see the tiles carters5!

Robin

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

It's now the 14th - any updates???

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I am back, but relucktantly and dissatisfied. So the Oceanside tiles were gorgeous on the sample and in the store but I couldn't exactly see them (at least the small ones) on the wall because they are paper faced with a goldish colored paper. The 5 x 5 tiles were not exactly what I wanted in the first place (they didn't do these in subway so I settled). The 5 x 5's remind me of the 70's. I am on the search again thinking I might try going in a whole new direction. Possibly something like this:

{{!gwi}}

OR THIS:

{{!gwi}}

I think the first one is my favorite. We will see. I have a lot more I am considering as well. Here's a start though. I think if I keep going this way, I should be able to put up a very artistic and eclectic backsplash!

Mockups would be very appreciated!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

artistic and eclectic?

Have you had a bit of a change in perspective? Have you ruled out the Aventurine?

That second newest one is an onyc, isn't it? I love onyx but I think that one is too yellow/orange for your kitchen. The first one is rather interesting.

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

By artistic and eclectic I mean that I will have so many samples purchased I should just put them all up!

Although the Adventurine is pretty in person, by comparison to the counter, it looks bad. Way too much green glass overtones in it believe it or not. If it really looked like the mockup I would do it in a heartbeat, but it doesn't at all.

I am still searching. I did find a gorgeous glass tile, (Erin Adams, Ann Sacks Zen Weave in a magazine from 2005 that I have been looking at since before the remodel, but after doing a lot more searching and even if it is available, a 12x12 sq ft. is, ready?, $105.!!!!!!! I thought Ann Sacks was high but not THAT high. I guess it could work if I could even find it,(it wasn't even on the website),if I only did the area behind the cooktop and then coordinated the rest of the walls even in paint possibly. But I don't even think I can get them. I might scan a pic and try to get it on here later today.

I will probably go back to Int. Bath and Tile this week to search again with a different pair of eyes!

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

I really like the first one. It brings in the colors of the floor and CT really nicely.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Ouch. That's painful. Too bad about the Aventurine. But I agree that green tones wouldn't be good in your space at all.

I know what you mean about the samples. I don't have a ton but I've got enough that I keep trying to figure out what to do with them. I do love/like them and would hate to see them go to waste.

Oh well, it'll all work out eventually. Hubby and I have basically thrown in the towel for now on our backsplash. We're doing a simple home-grown something that should keep things decent for the next year or so (until we have money / time inspiration). You can kind of see the start of it in this pic:

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

carters5, I LOVE the first of the new tiles you posted! Not so much the 2nd one though...too, I don't know, uniform? And I agree the color isn't exactly right but again, we don't see these in person or in your kitchen so you know what's best. I'll do a mockup of both in a bit, kids just got home from school.

Robin

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I really like the first of the most recent two samples, also. Can you tell me what it is?

Sue

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Here they are. Because the second one sort of shows the mesh background in between, I took the liberty of choosing a color from within the tile itself and using it as a grout color, I can do a darker/lighter grout if you like. After seeing it in the mockup, I like it better than the picture of just the tile sample. But I still think I like the top one better. Here they are in order of the samples above...
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

That was fun, got any more?!;) Hmm, after looking at it again, maybe I should tone them down a bit because the lighting in your kitchen is dimmer than the lighting on the samples. I'll work on that a little later...gotta go feed the kiddos now!
    Robin

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh, they're both nice. The second one just glows. But I still think the color is a bit off. Is that just the pictures we're seeing, though?

Based on what I see, I'd vote for #1. But, if the colors of #2 aren't as off as they look, that'd be mu pick.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

I played with the exposure some, I don't know if this will show it accurately but it was worth a try, they were so bright before!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue_ct: I found that tile at glasstilestore.com and the name is polished shire brick mosaic.

Robin: I like the first one too! Here are a few more to try!
    Thanks.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There. That should keep you busy well, for at least a few minutes. You are getting VERY good at this!!! I am thinking it's time to order samples again. Ugh. Thanks Robin!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

oooh, I like that last one in this set!

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I have found it!!! Since changing my perspective to a little more natural and a splash of zing, I found a tile I think I am in love with. Seems to be THE perfect one. Don't look too closely to this sample because it is not an exact pic. Seems that the lighting from the camera is distorting the true color. I am going to try to find an actual picture to post and hope Robin can do a mockup for me.
    {{!gwi}}

What do you think?

Robin? Where have you been?

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

That tile does appear to have all the elements you seem to be drawn towards. It's a nice blend of textures and colors, too.

• carters5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I am almost officially done with the backsplash. I think I am going to try wallpaper......I should be able to find one that gives me the look of the Aventurine.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler