Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding Counter Space

Posted by lnsc (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 22:03

Hi All!

We are planning on putting an offer on a house. The house is just about perfect in many ways (location, bedroom size, yard, price, etc) but I would love to find a way to expand the kitchen counter space in the next few years.

I'm attaching a link with the floorplan for the house (the house isn't new construction, but the floorplan is still available from the builder's website). In this particular house, the breakfast nook is bumped out 2 additional feet (so 11'8x10'4).

Any ideas on how I can add a few more feet of counterspace?

Here is a link that might be useful: House Floorplan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding Counter Space

Easy ... wrap the counter around the powder room wall. Or use that space for a rolling prep cart for when you need it.

o

Hi, Insc, I'm glad you decided to post in Kitchens. I like the solution that lazygardens posted, especially the versatility of a moveable cart or table. I'll give you a bump, in case anyone else has an idea. :)

o

Ditto lazygardens suggestions. I would add upper and lower cabinets on the powder room wall, extend the base cabinets to hook to the side of the kitchen cabinet on the left side of the sink and wrap the counter around. Depending upon the formality of your diningroom, you might put a nice painted wood cart with a waterlox wood top, just around the corner in the diningroom where it could be used in either the kitchen or DR. That would combine both of her suggestions.

o

Same with others. The left side of kitchen has a longer counter. Adding a counter to the side of powder room and extending towards the left would give you a lot of extra working space. It would match up to the left counter. No uppers as I think that would enclose too much. You could even make the counter a bit wider with cabinets on both sides. Looks like there is about 4' to extend for keeping walk through to kitchen from dining room wide enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here