Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufinorox

After pictures ..Finally complete less the backsplash!

rufinorox
14 years ago

We are finally at the final stages. Its been a long three months a DYI renovation(weekends only). Here are some pictures of our kitchen. We still need to install the backsplash, which I finally made a decision on.

Thanks to everyone who gave me so many great ideas. This site has been so useful.

href="http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Kitchen%20Before%20Pictures/?action=view&current=IMG_2233.jpg"; target="_blank">

Comments (32)

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Quite a dramatic change-love everything you did. The cabinets exude richness. I, personally, like a tile floor-we were considering a gray color at one point-is it fashion coffee??

Congratulations! Your hard work paid off big time.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

chris45ny - thank you so much! We are so pleased with all our choices. I think everything came together. No, its called Alfa Lux Lavagna. I saw someone on this site had chosen Fashion Coffee, but I couldn't find a sample at my tile store, but found this tile instead. I love it and it cleans so well.

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

I agree with chris45ny....it looks very rich and sophisticated. I, too, love the floor. you should be proud of a great job done...and beautiful choices too.

• sw_in_austin
    14 years ago

That's an amazing transformation. What a lovely and, as storklady said, sophisticated space you have now. I love that dark floor, both the color and the size of the tiles, which is very cool. And I love the backsplash you've chosen too. I look forward to seeing it installed. Congratulations.

• keptoz
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! What a difference. I can't wait to see it with the backsplash - I think those glass tiles you picked out for the trim are going to look stunning with your cabinet & countertop colors. Great job!!

• katsmah
    14 years ago

Very nice! What a great transformation.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

What a nice transformation! Your cab and granite colors look very warm and rich.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you again... Our goal was to make it look warm and functional with the space we had. Opposite the sink we have a large penisula that works so well with the rest of the layout. There are landing spaces everywhere, especially near the fridge. We couldn't be happier.

• motherof3
    14 years ago

What a difference in kitchen style. Your new look is very sleek. Love the color of your cabinets. What kind of granite is that?

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Graceful, Smart with a splash of Glamour.
    It is hard to imagine the before was the same room. Your
    fauce,t/sink are perfect, I know you had concerns about
    the spacing but it looks perfect. The cabinets have a rich
    elegance to them that work with the space. The counters
    match well with your other elements and those floo,rs
    really anchor the room.

Good job. Give yourself a huge pat on the back.
    ~boxer

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! It's classy and gives off a warm, rich feeling. All the elements you chose go so well together. Can't wait to see the backsplash! Would love some more details! Great job!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm so excited to have the backsplash installed. I'm going this weekend to place my order. I decided to go with a Valsop (think that's the name) white/grey subway tile with a glass mosaic tile strip going through. I have another post here Backsplash choice ... finally .. which shows the pictures. Thanks to all for your opinions and guidance the last few months. Its been fun! For those who want details on what we used here you go ...

Kitchen Cabinets - Lowes Diamond Prelude Langins Sorrel
    Countetorps - Bianco Romano - Eased Edge
    Kitchen Floor - 12x24 ALfa Lux Lavagna - Charcoal Grout
    Appliances - Kitchen Aid French Door Fridge
    Stove, Micro and Dishwasher - Frigidaire Professional
    Wine Fridge - GE Profile
    Sink - Ticor S112 stainless Steel 16 Gauge 10" - Overstock
    Faucet/Soap Dispenser - Grohe Lady Lux 3 - HomePerfect.com
    Wall Color - Olympus Weeping Willow ( we used Benjamin moore)

backsplash .... TBD

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

What a change! You should be so proud of your hardwork - and relatively short time. It's so much better and I love the color of your cabinets with the stainless appliances. Also the floor tiles look great. congratulations!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Rufinorex, what a beautiful kitchen transformation! I love the color of your cabinets. I love the unique darker tile. I love your beautiful granite counters. The stainless steel appliances really update the look and go so well with the cabinet color and the granite choice. I am going to have to check that faucet out when I am ready to do my kitchen since it looks so functional and pretty. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see pictures of your new backsplash when it is installed which sounds so pretty.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lynn2006- I love our faucet. Just a few things to note, there is a sprayer attached to the pull down, however you must hold. I didn't think I would like it, but it doesn't bother me. I would check your height and reach. I have another post here regarding the water falling behind the ceneter drain, though it doesn't bother me anymore. If I knew I would have looked at faucets with a longer reach, not sure it would have mattered because I love this one so much. Good luck on your choices.

• doraville
    14 years ago

I would definitely give you my vote for most improved! Great job. Do post your backsplash pictures when you get it done - I've been looking forward to seeing it. I've been following your posts and thinking we might get finished about the same time. Looks like I was about right. Now, I need to get to work on my pictures!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

doraville - thanks ... that makes me feel great to know people have been interested in our design and choices. I'm hoping to get the backsplash this week or next. I don't want to wait to long I may change my mind! I will be sure to post the pictures once installed.

What stage are you in? when did you start your renovation?

• doraville
    14 years ago

I've been more or less finished for a couple of weeks. My contractor and I had a strange relationship where I did certain things (although very little) and he did most everything else. I still need to seal the backsplash and rearrange the contents of cabs., but then I'm done. It's funny that you made some choices (e.g., granite, diamond prelude) I meant to make (but somehow didn't) so I've enjoyed following your posts. Are you considering hardware on your cabs?

• cj47
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous! I'm drooling over the cabinets, and the granite, and that beautiful floor. It's an amazing difference, you should be very proud that your efforts paid off in such a dramatic way!! So sleek and classy!

But, tell me, do you miss the yellow KitchenAid? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! I love those kinds of elements in 'before' kitchens. Really--maybe because I have so many of my own, and I know they hung around dutifully chugging along until you finally had the funds to just bushwack the entire space. It's gorgeous--can't wait to see what you pick out for a backsplash. Enjoy!!

Cj

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

doraville _ i'd love to see your pictures of course when you're ready. I did popnder too much over the cabinets and granite those were easy choices, everything else took time. There are our pulls.

cj47 - Thank you soooo much! We are proud! I don't miss the old stuff at all... I really never got to use the kitchen aid dishwasher. We moved into the house in November and it hadn't been used by the previous own for years. I added the nifty magnetic cover for looks.

• doraville
    14 years ago

Love the look of your pulls! I think mine ended up a bit too masculine. How old is your house? Your old floor looks suspicously like one of my old 3 layers.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our home was built in 1940 ... seems like the floor withstood alot, however we too had to remove layers of flooring especially in the sunroom, which had a layer of tar... what were they thinking back then?? Oh what fun the DH had. We just completed our install of our new brazilian teak floor!

• techmom1
    14 years ago

Wow! You did an amazing renovation. Thank you for sharing! Enjoy!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I'll have to go dig out your backsplash post, but truly a phenomenal transformation! I love the teak floor especially, but everything works beautifully together! I never was able to follow your faucet post to the end, but I hope you figured that out, and glad you finally made a decision for your backsplash. May you have many years of enjoyment with your new k;tchen!

(I ended up having to order my faucet from a different outlet, but was equally pleased with them as I was with HomePerfect for the sinks. Faucets came from Designer Plumbing Outlet.)

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks jsweenc - I'm so happy with my faucet. I've been functioning without any issues. Thank you for the wonderful comments. I by no means am a designer, but had a vision and was able to pull it off. I love the way our kitchen turned out. The floors are brazilian teak and I wasn't sure if I should match the color with the cabinets, go lighter or darker, so we went with these and I think it really works so well.

We are almost 100% complete. We purchased the molding for our sunroom and should be done with that room before the end of the week... and the furniture comes in. As for the backsplash, it may be another 2 weeks before its in. But here's a picture of our selection. The first picture is the design we plan to use the 2nd picture is our color of choice. Its a white/gray tile and the glass tile will run as a border, has hints of reddish brown.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

I am fascinated by the early kitc*hen. Was that a stainless counter? And the trim on the grey lino backsplash? And shellacked cabs with "rustic" hardware! And it's all so shiny and clean but nothing is cohesive...It's like every element is dressed up for a party but no one is speaking to each other. (except the paper towel holder and the dishwasher, LOL) I am going to say I liked the linoleum floor.

You have a greatValue for your hard work and update. Enjoy it.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Great job, it turned out beautiful!

• cmhanso2
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful transformation! I can't wait to see it when it is complete! Great job!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wediii - Funny! I have to say the old kitchen was very well maintained. It just needed a bit of updating from that old 50's 60's 70's look ....floor was in great condition, but it made me dizzy.

We wanted an updated look at a budget we can afford and we're so happy with all of our choices.

• starfish24
    14 years ago

lovely transformation! Would you mind giving info on the glass backsplash tiles you are using? Your colors are so similar to ours, and I'm still stuck in a rut. Thanks!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our local tile store abbreviated the name on the tile its called VALSOP... which I think is Valley Sofia and I don't know what the glass tile is called, but I will be visting them next week to place my order. I'll let you know then. Where are you located?

• flynm2
    13 years ago

I was curious about how the cabinets are holding up? I am thinking of getting the Diamond Prelude as well (same color actually) in maple wood. Are you pleased with the quality and durability? Also, it looks like that is A 30 inch sink cabinet. If so, was it tough finding a big enough sink?

Thanks. By the way, your kitchen looks great!

Qls