Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Kitchen Saga Update Part 2 :-D

Buehl
16 years ago

The other saga thread has gotten quite long so I thought I'd start another with the latest update....

Yes, we had our "big" meeting this morning...I will get to it in a bit. But first, I wish to give a big thank you to an anonymous GWer who independently stepped in to help us. This GWer has an acquaintance in Home Depot Corporate in Atlanta, GA. Late last week she contacted this acquaintance and told her what we have been going through. While this person does not work in customer relations, she knows people who do...so she contacted them. They, in turn, contacted both me and the EXPO store and asked me to keep them apprised of the results of our meeting and subsequent actions. They also let the EXPO CS rep/zone manager know that they had been in touch with us.

The result? Well, read on!

This morning's meeting began with our KD's manager not attending b/c she's still ill. But, the CS Rep told us she was authorized to make any decisions...so, first step accomplished...someone who does have authority to approve what we wanted!

In attendance: My DH, KD, CS Rep/Zone Mgr, both of the owners of the Contracting company installing our kitchen. Oh, and of course me!

The CS Rep/Zone Mgr started out by saying that she understood that we had contacted HD Corporate. However, I told her that we had not contacted them that, in fact, THEY had contacted US. So, I explained what had happened and that we would wait for the outcome of this meeting before we pursued further action at the Corporate level. I did this for 2 reasons...(1) I wanted them on notice that I fully intended to pursue it if I needed to and (2) I wanted them to know that word is spreading and that it's affecting not just us but other, potential customers as well. I figured that if they knew a friend had heard about it and thought it was bad enough to take independent action, then they would realize they needed to do something to appease us NOW!

From there, they remeasured both the sink & cooktop walls overall, determined center lines, and then measured out each cabinet and piece of filler to ensure everything would fit.

After the measuring was finalized, they stated that EXPO would be paying for the cost difference b/w the two 9" cabinets and the two 6" filler pullouts AND the Message Center niche. However, they again questioned the niche saying they didn't think we could do it b/c there would be no place to secure the shelves on that wall (no studs, just drywall). I patiently explained to them that (1) they were not putting in the shelving we were and that (2) we already know how we're going to install them--the same as we did in our basement pantry. They asked to see it and were surprised and impressed...they told us if there was ever a tornado that that was the room to go to b/c nothing was going to destroy those shelves! Needless to say we had no more objections from that standpoint. There were others about having the niche sticking into an already small...

Comments (24)

• ganggreen980
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm SO pleased for you and the results of this meeting. And, bless the GWer for stepping in.

I can only imagine what it will mean for you to have water on your first floor again!

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Woo Hoo!
    I LOVE this Forum!

(And when DH isn't muttering about the extra work he has to do because of it, he's suggesting I ask how to solve some little tricky issue he's having!)

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I'm glad it's working out. I have a couple of contractors I'd like to drop kick clear across Texas, and you've had worse problems than I have. At least I'm still talking to the KD.

• aliceinmd
    16 years ago

Wow! I have been watching your tale unfold since we met last month in Baltimore, and I still cannot believe everything you have been through. That great notebook of yours has probably grown to 5" thick by now! Many times I have thought, "If HD HQ only knew...," and now they do thanks to a wonderful GW angel. I hope this ordeal is over soon so you can enjoy your new kitchen and some peace. Take care!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Whoeeee!

Awesome Buehl!

And how nice that you have a GW GA (Guardian Angel) :>)

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Good news..yea!!!!!!
    But now you seriously got to show us how you attached the shelves you mentioned. Some day when you have time :)

• holligator
    16 years ago

I'm so happy that the meeting went well and that things are looking up for you! Kudos to HD's corporate office for stepping up to make things right. This really is their chance to repair EXPO's tarnished image around here. Here's hoping everything stays on track until the end now.

Oh, and you have helped so many on this forum that it's really no surprise someone felt compelled to help you. You so deserve it.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

and this is the best illustration ever of why a GW addiction is a blessing not a curse. :-)

Congrats to you!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are the pictures I took & drawing I made for a previous pantry thread concerning building strong shelves (it has long since fallen off). (Please excuse the mess...I periodically have to go in and reorganize since others have a tendency to put things wherever there's room...even I've been guilty of it on occasion!)

Pantry straight-on shot:

Pantry shelf closeup:

• debsinthepink
    16 years ago

Finally, HD Expo is stepping up to the plate.

Feels good to have GW guardian angels out there. Buehl, your one them!

• aussies
    16 years ago

Yay!!! That's such great news!! How fitting that it would be a GWer that helped you out, after all the help you've been to others (including me). Hope everything goes smoothly from here on!

Aussies

• User
    16 years ago

Yahooooooooooo AND THANK YOU to that anonymous GW'er!!!!! So happy to hear that you are finally moving forward. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

Your pantry is awesome!

• cotehele
    16 years ago

If you ever want to become an advocate for beleaguered homeowners with corporate kitchen design centers, you and your GW angel would make an unbeatable team. So happy for you! Thanks for your generosity on GW.

• User
    16 years ago

I am so happy for you to hear that things are (finally- long overdue but at least finally) coming together. And a big thanks to anonymous for their help and I do think that your taking names and professional documenting manner did help your cause. ( I always remember the scene from the out of towners where Walter Matthau I think is keeping a list and taking names:)

• cpang74
    16 years ago

How wonderful! My husband makes fun of me for having "friends" on the GW...because I will say so today on the forum...and he is like oh boy here we go again!
    Congrats! I knew this forum was full of really good people!

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

That is awesome! I'm so glad things are being resolved and progress will be continued! Good for you!

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Yippee! How great of the anonymous GWer, and how good for you to stand your ground.

Now to see pics of progress continuing apace!

High fives and hugs from afar. Thanks for keeping us updated.

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

This is great. After reading through the other thread, I was cringing when I clicked this. I'm happy you're happy with the proposed resolution.

• davewg
    16 years ago

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and kudos!!

And thanks to the anonymous GWer who helped out. That's just one of the things that makes this forum so useful.

Be sure to keep us posted on how things progress.

• bethlcsw
    16 years ago

That is great news! How wonderful of the GWer to help you out. Hope that all goes smoothly from now on.

Beth

• gshop
    16 years ago

It is so wonderful how we help each other!! We are just anonymous GW'ers who have come together to help out during a very stressful period. It is great that we have the forum and that everyone is so generous. Congratulations Buehl, you deserve to get everything just right! Good luck!

• divamum
    16 years ago

This is great news, Buehl. I'm soooo happy to see that you're finally able to move forward. I can't believe the delay you've had, but here's hoping that you are now on track for a happy ending, however "eventually".

I'm so glad I popped in today and saw this update - yay!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone...I can't wait for tomorrow when they start up again!!!

• pcjs
    16 years ago

Yea, I hope you finally get your kitchen. A temp sink isn't a big deal - you can order a laundry sink from Ace hardware for $25 with free shipping with in store pick up (we got this one a few weeks ago and it is nice as I hated the old concrete one). And, we got a pull-out laundry faucet from Home Depot (really cheap but works and has the hose hook up). So, if you have all the plumbing in place, all the need is a new sink, faucet, and drain fittings and they can do it all under $70 or so (in less you have the sink and faucet and can make a mini wood stand for the sink). Our project cost us more as we reworked/redid a lot of the plumbing and copper and those fittings add up.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider