Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
architectmamma

Kitchen Reveal - Traditional Quiet White Kitchen

ArchitectMamma
11 years ago

When the second oven blew out last summer on our 20 year old Viking, we knew the writing was on the wall to renovate the kitchen. Our home was built in 1919 and when the previous owners had renovated the kitchen in 1990, they “modernized” the kitchen, removing some of the original moldings that matched the rest of the house, adding black formica, checkerboard tile, and a professional, albeit oversized, range. We wanted to create a new kitchen with style choices appropriate to the simple detailing of our red brick Georgian home, restore the moldings, and create more storage space. The first thing we did was to remove the soffit that ran around the perimeter of the kitchen. Sure enough, it was hiding piping that offset just below our finished ceiling. We were able to abandon a redundant radiator on the floor above and re-route the piping into the ceiling. This gave us not only more storage but also the feeling of a much higher ceiling than 8’-3.” We were able to keep the flooring intact and re-use the existing dishwasher. In addition to my role as designer, I also was the GC. Although I am pretty quiet here on the forum, I learned quite a bit from all of you and just knowing we were all going through the same thing together helped quiet my nerves when I thought I couldn’t take another day of this. Thank you!!!

Cabinets: Custom inset shaker style by Dutchwood Cabinetmakers painted Sail White
Hardware: Westerly pulls by Amerock in Satin Nickel, Hafele butt hinges in Satin Nickel
Paint: Walls: Benjamin Moore_Coastal Fog // Trim: Benjamin Moore _Linen White
Tile: Dal-Tile Rittenhouse 3x6 in Biscuit
Countertops: Madreperla Quartzite
Range: 36” Wolf, all gas
Hood: Vent-a-hood
Refrigerator: 36” SubZero French Door
Dishwasher: Re-used KitchenAid
Sink: Franke KBX11028 with sink grid
Faucet: Rohl/Perrin & Rowe Traditional Bridge Faucet
Filter Faucet: Kohler Traditional Wellspring Beverage Faucet
Filter: Multi-Pure
Recessed lights: Halo 4” incandescent
Pendant lights: Restoration Hardware, 8” Benson pendant in Satin Nickel
Undercabinet lighting: Kichler Xenon

Before:
{{gwi:1762952}}
{{gwi:1762953}}

After:
{{gwi:1762954}}

{{gwi:1762955}}

{{gwi:1762956}}

{{gwi:1762957}}

{{gwi:1762958}}

{{gwi:1762959}}

More photos are on photobucket, if they ask for a guest password, it is Gardenweb.

This post was edited by ArchitectMamma on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 7:46

Comments (64)

• pirula
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love it!

The mudroom is also terrific. And I love the modern table/chairs. Beautifully done...

• Linda
    11 years ago

So beautiful and serene! And well organized! Just perfect! Enjoy!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Parts I really like:

*lack of soffits - such a difference!
    *pantry at 90 degrees to the fridge
    *clever shallow cabinets to disguise whatever that protrusion is to the left of the sink
    *soft white vs pale goldenrod
    *separate mud room (is that snow outside?)
    *and I do love that floor!

And of course the counters and sink and ....

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• khinmn92
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love it all! Especially like the undersink trash pullout, but may I ask...where do you store your DW detergent, soaps and other kitchen cleaning supplies etc that would typically be stored under the sink? Is this size pullout heavy/difficult to use?

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

khinmn92 - look at the trash pullout again. See the box with the green lid behind the trash cans? If I'm not mistaken, that is a box of those dishwasher detergent packets. I suspect there may be a couple more sink items back there.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen!

Your Coastal Fog wall color is timely, for me. It's my exterior trim color, and as I recently noticed, when demolition removed lots of surrounding distractions, the color on the inside-side of my front door. I was thinking of using for interior woodwork for a Downton Abbey-ish effect, but I like it equally well on your walls where it is modern.

I am curious about the real-life color of your floor. Would you describe it as walnut-toned or cherry-toned? In my house, I love BM Linen White next to my unstained red oak floors and pine doors, but I'm not sure it will work with the natural cherry floor that are going in my kitchen. Maybe I am over-comparing? And when the cherry and linen white are left to themselves, without oak butting in, they'll play beautifully?

The table is one of my current obsessions, so I am jealous. All you need to do is take out the ceiling fan and replace it with a Poulson PH5 light and I'd be beyond jealous. I was watching a House Hunters in Copenhagen, I think, where homeowner's took their light fixtures when they move. Duh. Of course they do. They have such fabulous light designers.

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pull outs are from Rev-a-shelf. They are not specifically for under sink use but with some careful coordination, they fit under our sink with about 3/8" to spare after the lids are on. They are slightly stiffer to pull out than the rest of the blum glides on our drawers but it is in no way cumbersome. They have a soft close assist mechanism as well. The compartment behind our recycling holds the DW packets and Jet Dry and we keep garbage bags and the liquid dishsoap behind the other.
    We have two toddlers so cleaning supplies have to be up high anyway. The tall cabinet in the mudroom is fairly close and houses the cleaning supplies. Heavy duty stuff is kept in the basement.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

what a really lovely and serene space! the madreperla is beautiful. I love the shoes and coat area too.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Those cabs and stunning MOP quartzite set the stage for your gorgeous kitchen. The Saarinen tulip is my favorite table base. It looks right at home in your space. I saved your mudroom pics to help with designing my cabs. Congratulations on restoring the vintage charm!

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@onedogedie- We have coastal fog in a couple of rooms and it can really be a chameleon of a color in the best sort of way.

Our floors have very little red in them. Linen white is one of my favorite whites and I think it would be very happy next to cherry as well.

@ Breezy -Our love of the Saarinen table made it one of the first purchases in our home 2.5 years ago when we moved out of Manhattan. In fact, we considered doing an island but hated to get rid of that gorgeous table and an old fashioned eat in kitchen.

The ceiling fan is a leftover from the previous owners. Our next big project is central AC but until next year, we thought we would live with the 'blah' fan until we have ductwork and can swap it out for a fabulous pendant. Ah, there is always a compromise here and there, eh?

• new_2_nj
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Are you in Northern NJ? The sign in your mudroom looks like the name of my town.

PS I love how your EIK table looks SO much better in the new kitchen!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Wow your new kitchen is beautiful and so tranquil. Everything fits together is such harmony. You did a great job!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, that is terrific!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

I love how you returned the kitchen to a look that is similar to when the home was built. Everything is just perfect. I hope you are enjoying the new kitchen. Congratulations, you did a great job!

P.S. Love the table and chairs!!!!

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

Such a beautiful space. I am so envious of how well organized everything is. What a well thought out design.

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@New_2_nj...why yes, northern nj...36 min direct train to Penn Station ;)

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Oh, the Saarinen table, wow! Cool to see one in real life, not just in Dwell Magazine. I agree, it fits the space wonderfully and you did a great job of bringing the rest of the space up to that high water mark.

The new kitchen is terrific, congratulations! I love how organized your cupboards are. I bet that was satisfying to arrange and photograph. It all looks purposeful and sophisticated. Nicely done!

Onedog - I saw that on House Hunters in Copenhagen as well. I got a kick out of it too.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I love that table as well. So iconic, but I've never seen one with a marble top before. I covet it! :>) Does it weigh a ton?
    ArchitectMama how are those chair legs on your floor. Do they scuff it up much or did you put anything on the bottom to help protect the floor?

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The table weighs a TON! Moving it to our Living Room during the renovation was quite a feat. The finish on it is far more durable than a typical countertop finish. Ours has a ton of micro scratches (I don't mind, we do use it everyday and I like to think it is a patina) but zero stains. The chairs do mar the floor polish after awhile but they don't scratch the poly or make deep gouges. They are very lightweight.

• chickpea8
    11 years ago

Looks amazing, now I am inspired to do my own kitchen.
    P.S. You must have been so happy to see that black and white backsplash go bye-bye!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Love it!

The countertop is gorgeous. Will it wear like granite? Just love it. The cabinets, of course are gorgeous.

What is in the cabinets to the left of the fridge...that you walk past as you enter the kitchen?

Love the clever use of space.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I was traveling and couldn't wait to see this gorgeous kitchen on something larger than my phone.
    I love it!
    Aren't you so glad to be rid of those soffits! Yeah!!!
    I love how you changed the kitchen to be more functional and gorgeous at the same time.
    Your quartzite is beautiful and the colors are great.
    OK - I Love It!
    Congratulations!!

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@red -From my research, yes, the quartzite will wear almost as well as granite. I'm still being careful though! The pantry with the microwave is adjacent to the fridge. In the cabinets above, I have baking pans and tools.

@gemini- getting rid of the soffits was amazing. It's a small kitchen and that made all the difference!!

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and a perfect balance of vintage and modern, in my opinion. But I am even more taken by the great organization and use of space. I have kitchen envy!

• new_2_nj
    11 years ago

That's the one! Hi, neighbor! If you don't mind, I would love to ask you some specifics about who you used for certain things and if you have any tips on surviving the renovation with little kids (I have two boys - 5.5 & 2.5). We're scheduled to demo in two weeks and I'm really starting to panic. If it's ok, please let me know and I will send you a private email. Thanks!

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen!

You have more doors in and out of your kitchen than I do, but somehow your kitchen has a much nicer configuration. I love the way the table has a corner all to itself -- seems so spacious and comfortable! The rest of the kitchen is beautiful; as others have said, it's peaceful and calm. The astonishing organization of your cabinet interiors will be fodder for much daydreaming around here.

Could you tell me the dimensions of your kitchen? Thanks!!

• kaysd
    11 years ago

What a calm, lovely space! There are so many details I love: Madre Perla counters, Saarinen table, wall color, clever use of shallow cabinets for spices, etc.

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Justmakeit- The wall with windows is 13'-11" and the dimension in the other direction to the face of refrigerator/face of wall by table is 11'-5". The depth of the "jog" where the pantry and refrigerator sit is an additional 2'-4".

New_2_nj- yes, please email me. I just tried to email you but not sure if it went through. Happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks for all the storage feedback. Three things that I would recommend to anyone here are 1) take an inventory of what you have and think about where it will go 2) order some extra shelves than what is typical, spacing shelves tighter together yields more storage and 3) make your uppers 15" deep. I feel like our storage space doubled.

• new_2_nj
    11 years ago

Thanks! I sent you an email. I had to fix my settings.

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• new_2_nj
    11 years ago

AM - Thank you so much for spending so much time with me yesterday and showing me your fabulous kitchen. It's hard to believe that it's even more beautiful in person!

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions for you - they filed for the permits today!

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Beautiful! thanks for sharing.

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Your fridge cabinet is very trick.

What happened to your "before" ovens?

When I saw your title I thought for sure you would keep them.

• Megan Lopez
    11 years ago

A beautiful kitchen--it's so peaceful:). Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your pantry along the side of your refrigerator? Thank you!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Architectmama: your kitchen is very lovely and serene. The inset cabs are beautiful and it's just wonderful overall. Can I ask: it looks like you have about the same amount of space for cabs that I do albeit a different configuration. What I'm wondering is: did you ever consider going frameless for the extra space and if so, what was the deciding factor in going with inset? Or, did the look of inset always trump the extra space of frameless?
    I love the look of inset but find that I'm getting stuck on the extra inches of storage loss at least in the lowers. Could you speak to the sizes of the cabinets in your kitchen if you get a chance, please? Thanks so much!

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@MareLuce- The Viking was just too big and way too expensive to overhaul. I gave it to a local appliance repair guy who said he wasn't too sure his wife was going to be pleased with his new big project. ;)

@ilikepie - The overall width is 2'-4"(width of the pantry door pair is 25", inside dim is 26.5") and it is 13" deep to accomodate the microwave. The shelf the microwave sits on is 36" high which determined the door configuration. The top door is 49" tall and the lower is 28" high. The only thing I don't keep in here are my baking supplies which go in the upper to the left of the hood and my oils which are to the right of the hood.

@deedles-I never considered frameless because I've always dreamed of inset. I really don't think you gain that much space. For instance, I measured the uppers to the right of the sink window: outside width dimension is 25" and the inside clear width is 23".
    I have 3'-0" of lower on range wall (plus lemans in blind corner). On the window wall, after you account for the trash/recycling (2'-9") and the DW (2'-0") there is only 7'-2" of lower cabinets. I really did a tape mock up of every cabinet on the floor with the items to be stored in them to be sure it would all fit. It is perfect and I am an avid cook. I put all my baking pans/tools in the flip up doors over the refrigerator. They are lightweight so easy to get down and SUCH a spacsaver in my lowers! Credit goes to GW for that, although I can't remember whose kitchen.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! That helps me and yup, we have just about the same frontage for cabs. One more question: how do you like your double pull out for trash/recycling under the sink? Would you keep it a one door unit or would you maybe split it now that you've had one door? Is it one door because there is no center stile? Do you find it hard to get to the stuff in the back and is there space for things between the cans? I think it looks great and would seriously consider the same arrangement if you tell me that it works well IRL. I guess I picture people having to get out of the way of the whole door vs. half the width with split doors. Maybe it's not a big deal, though?

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The photo is deceiving. There are two units, they both "push open" so was difficult to photograph in a staggered position. I think one big unit would be cumbersome and too heavy. This works well for us with limited space. Again, you have too really coordinate with your sink and countertop thickness to make sure they will clear. The compartments behind the containers are great. And I love the lids, it makes it feel clean and contained.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Okay, thank you! A great idea and I may just borrow it from you if it works with our apron sink.

• chickpea8
    11 years ago

Again, a beautiful kitchen! Just a few questions I have as we proceed with our remodel:
    1. Did you take your crown moulding all the way up so that it is flush with the ceiling? Why, why not?
    2. What is the height between the bottom of your counters and the counter top? In your pics it looks like they may be more than the standard 18 inches. I really like the look, looks like your Kitchenaid mixer fits effortlessly under the counter, nice look!
    3.) Lastly, in nosing around your pictures I noticed the white ceramic "Salt" box in your cabinet, so cute! Can you share where you got it?
    Thanks so much!

• ArchitectMamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@erinf8 - The crown molding detail in our house is very odd. It is actually 1-3/4" picture molding mounted approximately 1/2" from the ceiling. Since the house is so old and the ceilings far from plumb, the 1/2" space can vary in dimension in any given room. The kitchen ceiling was terribly out of level as well. We feathered down the plaster as best as we could so the variances wouldn't be obvious. The final crown detail was actually a big disappointment of mine in this room. I could not get the cabinets guys or my carpenter to come up with a solution where we could get that 1/2" reveal at the top of the cabinets. We would have had to create extremely long scribes and had we not been running out of time, they might have figured it out. So at the cabinets the shadow line you see at the top is because the molding doesn't touch the ceiling there. It is a big compromise but when I look at the whole room, I try not to dwell on it. Sometimes working in an old house can be really challenging. I am glad I stuck to my guns and kept that little molding when I got a lot of unsolicted advice to use something larger. It just would have looked SO out of place next to the other rooms in our house.
    The space between counters and uppers is 18". The light colors make it all appear more airy, I think.
    Don't you love that salt box? I just got it two weeks ago at Crate and Barrel (Homestead Salt Cellar $9.95). It is the perfect size and it has a lid.

• chickpea8
    11 years ago

ArchitectMamma, thanks so much for the info.. Honestly, I never would have noticed your ceiling space if we too weren't struggling with the exact same problem. That is totally why I studied your pictures and noticed. We are in the same situation, older house uneven ceilings. I'm driving my contractor and husband nuts by not making a final decision on what we will do to make the crown look decent. My friends tell me I am the only one that will notice it in the end since there will be so many other improvements that will draw the attention. I think your kitchen is making me believe this even more. :-)
    Interesting about your 18 inch space, it really does look more airy, never would have guessed.
    And the salt box...so cute, I think I see a trip to C&B in the near future!

• Jolivia2
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us. I'm at the tail end of a gut kitchen reno and its encouraging to know that it will all be worth it.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

What a wonderful transformation!! Your old BS would drive me crazy! Your new kitchen is so serene and such a great blending of traditional with modern touches. Thank you for letting us look at your photobucket album and sharing all the details!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Glad to see your post appear back here on the first page. I meant to comment earlier and then your reveal was moved down several pages and I didn't take the time to look for it.
    Your kitchen is very lovely. Quiet is a good word to describe it. I bet you are so relaxed working in your new space. All your choices work perfectly together.
    Congratulations on a job well done.

This post was edited by badgergal on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 0:24

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely! Thanks for sharing the photos with us. Enjoy cooking in that gorgeous space!

• kompy
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen! It reminds me of mine....we have similar tastes. My ref. side is not done yet but has been designed to look just like that.
    I will also have a 54" x 18" 102" tall hutch to the right of the archway....not yet ordered....but will be soon. Trying to decide if I want white, wood or other color. A small 48x21 island with legs (free standing) will be in the middle.
    Kompy

• ronniepuddle
    9 years ago

I am loving your kitchen remodel . Very similar dimensions as our kitchen. I am considering buying the same Kobus Franke sink. Are you happy with it?

• Jenna Dougherty
    3 years ago

Beautiful! What brand/color grout did you use with biscuit tile?

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner