Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

Finished farm kitchen

pinch_me
14 years ago

I realized I would never have the whole kitchen presentable at the same time for photos so I just took a bunch and what you see is what you get. I have so much light it's hard to get a good photo. Some of these were in daylight before outlet covers were on, etc.

My old lights from eBay.

The table I wanted to fit. It doesn't. But notice it's on castors......So I make it fit. I've lived without it for 6 years. Enough is enough.

Here's the microwave, toaster oven, cook books and baking storage above.

Starting at the back door entry and going around the room from south to north.

This is my farm kitchen. Formica. Existing Vinyl floor. Menard's cabinets. Fireclay sink bluebath.com. Faucet and lights on eBay. No new appliances unless you count the induction hot plate which I haven't used yet. - (Do I count that in my total? $120) Broan fan on line. I bought almost everything on line. I know I'm under budget because there's money left in the bank! I'm going to add it up one of these days but how do you figure out the things you bought and didn't use? or only used some of it? or bought it not because you needed it but because you wanted it? And a couple of things that I didn't use in the kitchen but will use in the bathroom when I do it in July. I had budgeted $12,000. Without getting out every reciept for paint and nails I don't know my total. My carpenter bought things too, and those were lumped into his bill. He said $200 but unless he's shopping somewhere I don't know about, he spent more than $200! His labor was so much less than I expected I wrote the check for $200 more and that was still less than I had budgeted. I'm a happy camper. This isn't the magazine kitchen so popular here but for my lifestyle, it's perfect. I will probably paint a color or paper it next fall and maybe tile the backsplash. I need to live in it for a while and with summer coming I'll be outside anyway. Next decision is a gas stove! And there are 6 or 8 that would work for me. Which one!! UGH!! I thought I was done making decisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: more kitchen pictures

Comments (49)

• heart-of-dixie
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice!!

• brickton
    14 years ago

Can I just re-iterate how much I love your ceiling, I'm sorry to say that I think I have to 'borrow' (okay steal) that idea for my front porch ceiling. I think your kitchen is certainly magazine worthy, but it would have to be right type of magazine something along the lines of 'Realistic Kitchens' or 'No Second Mortgage Needed Renovations' or the like, which I would buy in a heartbeat. Great job, enjoy it.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Hooray hooray hooray! Congratulations! It looks great and I know you are happy to be functional and close to the end. All in the midst of snow and so much DIY! Well done! Even in your phone camera pix ; ) it looks awesome! Now, for that professional photographer friend... ? One of these days, but no matter, it looks beautiful and I know you'll enjoy it. (I was right, the light in the ceiling no longer looks like a St@r Wars character.) I especially love the cabinets and ceiling.

At least you have time to make the stove decision.

Another question is, how do you figure in those things you hadn't planned on doing and aren't on your original spreadsheet, when the bill comes all at once (things like new casing around all the doors down the hall that are within sight of the k;tchen... do those count as k;tchen costs?)

Again, congratulations, and enjoy! I hope to be posting mine soon!

• smiling
    14 years ago

Congratulations on such a pretty room. Love the ceiling, and those are really pretty cabinets, too. I like that you put the backsplash outlets up high so they won't interfere with any backsplash you may decide on later. Your project seemed to go so fast from start to finish! Enjoy the great new look, maybe give yourself a brief break before you tackle the range decisions.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

I really like the color of your cabinets and your layout. You have so much work space yet nothing is more than a few steps away. Love it. What a great idea to put the table on wheels! It would make a great baking counter in the middle of the kitchen, too.

• amberley
    14 years ago

looks great pinch! Love that ceiling too. I am jealous that you're done!! I think I will be painting forever...

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, it's great! The ceiling came out so well! I didn't see it with the light fixtures before (or missed them). Together, and with the hood and sink, they really set the mood. It's very farmhouse romantic, and I think it's magzine worthy (well, with a few finishing touches). How lovely!!

• gillycat
    14 years ago

beautiful Is the wood in your cabinets hickory

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Love the big sink! You must too!

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

Love the kitchen! Your ceiling is one of my favorite things!

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Wow, doesn't it feel great to have come this far?! Now you can relax and enjoy it. Great job! (Love the table...I can see why you want it to fit. Where there's a will...)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I love your ceiling, and your light f*xtures!! I love old time stuff.

i think your k*tchen is coming along fine. looks like just a few minor things to finish up. I also like that you put your sockets up high - and sideways. If i were redoing my wall there I'd have them put like that also. wish i had the money to do that anyway!

what is your floor vinyl? it looks great! I'll be going out to look at flooring in a few weeks and am making up a list of what to look at while there.

• theresse
    14 years ago

This looks great! Love the clean, classic simplicity combined with the charming intricacies in the ceiling and that adorable light fixture! Definitely looks like a farm kitchen - especially when you combine all the elements of sink, faucet, tall window, and that gorgeous ceiling. Beautiful cabinets, too (and that floor)! How incredibly nice to save some money, too. It's inspiring, thanks!

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Under budget? Wow! Looks really sweet! I love the warmth of the floor and cabinets. And love that you have "too much lighting"...just my style ;)

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, cabinets are hickory.
    I used to use that table for EVERYTHING. It was my work space for many years.
    My floor is Armstrong. I've found it on line at a couple of places dealing with discontinured flooring but even though I've emailed each several times I get no response. Maybe I didn't want enough of it for them to bother with me? I was very lucky in that my carpenter was able to patch the place where the penensula used to be. The "wood" grooves aren't so deep that it creates dirt traps. There are grooves in it and it does require hands and knees scrubbing from time to time but not as bad as some other wood look vinyl I looked at. This floor is already about 5 years old.
    Yes, where do you stop adding up the $$ that spill out of the kitchen but are still related to the overhaul? I guess you do add them since it's the kitchen's fault you had to do it. I have two different patterns of wallpaper that I bought at two different times that I didn't use yet. That's enought to buy a stove!

• autumngal
    14 years ago

Looks great- I also love that ceiling! Your table is a gem too, great find and well worth keeping. Too much light is also a great thing. Enjoy your beautiful space!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I adore your farmhouse kitchen.
    The warm wood cabinets along with the gorgeous light
    fixture. My Uncle has a table like that. So cute that
    you put it on castors.

~boxer

• kimkitchy
    14 years ago

Super job, pinchme! I LOVE your old lights. Your ceiling and cabinets are beautiful! Perfect choices for a farmhouse. What a joy it must be to be finished (well, except for your new stove) and working in your lovely new kitchen. Enjoy!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Pinch,

I love your kitchen. Very functional. Love the ceiling. Love the center rail cabinets. I have 2 oak tables kind of like yours. Have you used the hood enough yet to tell if you like it? Is the dog planning to sleep under that table?

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Pinch,

I am so happy to see your kit chen! I love the hickory, I love the lights, I love the ceiling, and the table . . . . is basically the same table that I have sitting in my DR that we bought at a garage sale many years ago and had refinished! Do you have leaves (or is it leafs?) for it? I can sit 10 people at mine, when the room is big enough -- that table is one of the reasons for my kitchen reno -- so I can open it up all the way!

Lovely! I am just so happy for you to have this mostly done!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Enjoy your kitchen!!! You did a great job!!!

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I love that feeling of being satisfied, knowing that we have what we need. It works both in function and design! Beautiful hickory wood cabinets. Will be fun to see what you do for the paint or backsplash. Congratulations!

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

I love it! I really like your cabinets, all the light you have, and your ceiling! I especially like that your pets are so comfortable there!!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! The dog sleeps anywhere she wants to! And most of the time lays at the bottom of the two steps down from the kitchen to the breezeway. Beware if you are flying around trying to do stuff in a hurry. She's squishy if you step on her.
    Yes, I have two leaves for the table although they aren't a match for it. When I bought the table (around 1966) they threw those leaves in because they had them. I've been going to refinish it for .........a few years. Never seem to get it done. I paid $30 or $35 for it.
    On the other hand, I used that table for everything (and intend to do the same with the whole kitchen) so if I spill or scrape or drip, so what? Let the next owner fix it. I won't be intimidated by my stuff.

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Pinch_me, is she a golden retriever? She sounds remarkably like mine - likes to lie right in the middle of the u-shaped kitchen!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I won't be intimidated by my stuff.

Hear hear!

Stuff is stuff. As we say here, it will burn.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

I want to see your view from the ki-tchen window, please :)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

On the other hand, I used that table for everything (and intend to do the same with the whole kitchen) so if I spill or scrape or drip, so what? Let the next owner fix it. I won't be intimidated by my stuff.

Yes, yes, yes! If anything, that was my 'mission statement' for things I picked out when building our house. Didn't quite work everywhere, but I love that attitude. AND, I love that table! It's wonderful.

I didn't think I was a hickory fan, but I think your cabinets are beautiful.

Enjoy! Well done.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Love how you've done the ceiling especially with the unique antique light fixtures. You must really enjoy the deep window ledge behind the sink. Will you put herbs in pots in the window?

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I usually keep African violets on the sink window sill. Right now there's a hoya vine. The summer sun is too hot for either of them so something else will be there later. I have herbs in my garden. Also chives outside front and back doors. Easy access.
    I can't find my View Out My Window picture but these are typical. I keep my windows open in the summer and my north fence is a couple of arms reach from the windows beside me. I can talk to my horses while I play on the computer ;-) On the south side, I can see them out the window over the sink. I lost a boat load of pictures in a computer crash a few years ago.
    Brownie is a Golden. She was abandoned in town a few years ago. I can't figure it. She knew all the commands; thought she was going to sleep on the furniture and in bed with me. When our last dog died I said there would be no more pets on the furniture. Tell that to cats. Well, anyway. No dogs on the furniture. It works most of the time and now that she's getting old it's hard for her to get up on anything. The Cockatoo was homeless a couple of years ago and found her way here along with her housemate. (And she may be again if she chews on my new baseboard again! Caught her at it twice. Time out in her cage but I know she doesn't care and will do it again.) Sophie Too steals Brownie's food when she can. The dogs in the snow pictures were all homeless when they came here. I noticed I'm one dog short in those pictures. Too short to show in the snowbanks, I guess. The bay mare was headed for the kill pen at the auction 20+ years ago. I took her. I used to ride her all over but the traffic has multiplied so much I'm afraid to ride the gravel roads now. The pony is her companion, borrowed for that purpose after my mare became the sole survivor in my herd. There are cats and chickens mixed together in one photo. I know I have a better one somewhere. A few years ago I was walking the pasture fence, turned around and I had 7 chickens, 3 cats, 3 dogs and 2 horses following me like a parade. What a kick!

Here is a link that might be useful: assorted views from my window

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

I loved your out the kitchen window pictures. It's obvious how much you like your animals. I can just see the fence parade. :)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love the unique ceiling to your kitchen and how much light you have. I am hoping to continue to renovate my kitchen as well as make sure I have a lot of light. Congratulations on being done and being happy with your finished kitchen that you managed to stay under budget with.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous, gorgeous ceiling! And love your cabinets too. Beautiful.

That is a fantastic mission statement. I need to remember that as I move forward. Very easy to forget.

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Pinch, thanks for your pictures - I would have enjoyed the parade too. :-) Your pets were fortunate to find you - they're living the good life now!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

What fun, that farm tour in pictures! I had a good laugh over your parade.

Still have that feeling in the pit of your stomach? I hope not! You're done, and you love your k;tchen!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm good, jsweenc! Stomach has recovered. Everything went so smoothly and quick. Since I have money left over I'm agonizing over a gas range choice now. I think I have chosen one unless I change my mind while I'm sleeping. I read some stuff http://www.allbrandservicenaperville.com/products-cooking.html
    That made me read all the spec sheets over again. UGH! The first hundred times should have been enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: maybe this gas stove

• cj47
    14 years ago

Oh, what a great ceiling! Those lights are perfect! I love hickory, it's so warm looking, and I love the cabinet style. Too much light--we should all have such a problem! Thanks for sharing, and I wish you many happy meals in your beautiful new kitchen!

Cj

• golddust
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen. What great cabinets! Thanks for sharing and I want to come over for coffee. I promise to pet the resident animals.

Don't you love Ebay for great bargains?

Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean about having parts of the kitchen ready for pictures. A real working kitchen seldom rests.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The coffee pot is always on. I'm going to look for the cookie jar today. Since it hasn't surfaced so far.....it must be in a box in the closet. And that closet is Fibber McGee's Closet!
    warmfridge, I've used the exhaust fan. I don't fry so I don't know how good it really is. The two lights are a bit of a hmmmm. If I didn't have under cabs right next to the stove I don't know if the hood lights are enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: more finished kitchen pics

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Good pictures, Pinch. I think I saw an Amazon, and a Quaker, and another green character?

I'm finding my hood lights are fine. I'm using halogen bulbs, whatever size specified in the manual.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've got the recomended bulbs in, too, but as soon as I feel really rich I'm going to buy the LEDs @ $14.99 EACH.
    There are two Orange Wing Amazons. Mine and the housemate who came with Sophie Too. One Quaker, One Jenday, One Sophie;-) and last but not least, one Sun who came to me 5 days before I started demolition. I hadn't planned on another bird so he is living around the corner in the breezeway yet. I really don't want another cage in that space. But I don't want one bird alone either. I have put two birds to a cage now against my better judgement. The cages are big and they all are out when I'm home but still... not a good practice. I didn't put the Amazons together for several reasons, one being I think I have one of each and there will be NO procreation going on around here! If I need more mouths to feed there are always some looking for a home and everyone knows where I live! My O.W. and the Quaker have been best friends for nearly 20 years so I put them together. Sophie's O.W. and my Jenday have reached a mutual benefit friend arrangement. They will groom each other. Both small birds are the boss of the big birds. Sophie, of course, has her own big cage and her other cage AKA my house. She comes to the computer room if I'm not in the kitchen. One night I was in the sewing room and she thought I should be in the computer room, gave the most pitiful whimper when I wasn't there but would NOT turn her head and see me at the sewing machine. I was supposed to be at the computer, dammit! And she stalks the Golden. I put a stop to that as soon as I realize she's doing it but it's like chewing on the woodwork. The devil makes her do it.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

great reference for people who want to do an apron front sink with formica tops. thanks for posting and enjoy the new kitchen!

• rj56
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your finished kitchen! Love the hickory cabinets, hardware, farmhouse sink, faucet,and your unique lights. What type laminate did you use? I really like your unique kitchen!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My laminate is Wilsonart Frosty White 1573-60.

• starpooh
    13 years ago

bump!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

bump

I think it's time to renew acquaintance with this kitchen, which is modest, sensible, useful, and developed with a consistent muse. We need images like this to expand our understanding of our options and our budgets.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm even done once more! Seems like this room just keeps evolving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reallly finished this time!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Oh, I love all of your textiles.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Textiles. It's like eating potato chips!

This will be the next one I buy.

I want this one really badly but it's one of the harder to find therefor more expensive.

I'd like to have this one, too but it's in that hard to find category.

And I'm on the lookout for a crochet cloth for my 42 inch table. Haunting eBay but have to pay for the critter food and various things old pets need before I buy any more stuff for me.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler