Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ok, Trying this again. Please Vote!

Posted by hobokenkitchen (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 21:54

So I had the basketweave sitting in the check out basket with discount coupon applied when I had a thought.

Back in the days of the nightmare contractor he ripped out the carpet in our sunroom (without asking mind you) and told me I had to buy tile IMMEDIATELY so I dragged my 9 month pregnant butt all over every tile store in the area to find tile that we liked for our sunroom... then he took payment for installation and walked off the job.
Eventually I found some teak wood squares and we installed it ourselves.
So we have $750 worth of tile that has been sitting in our garage for the past 8 months.

DH just went and grabbed a box and I laid it out on the diagonal. What do you think? Does it work? Or does it look like left over tile we're trying to
get rid of. ; )

Here's the basketweave which is the alternative. So basketweave or the porcelain?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Help? I'll try and take pics in the light in the morning too.

This is a better representation of the color.

We found this picture online which seems like it might be similarish, but I don't like the grout.

Any thoughts??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ok, Trying this again. Please Vote!

Basketweave for sure. It will look great with the counter and the wall color. You're pregnant butt had good instincts!

o

I think looks great with the walls and your wall art! But color is not my strength so I won't officially vote. I am looking forward to seeing how it all comes together!

o

I vote for the basketweave as well. Good Luck.

o

Sorry, must have explained wrong.

The basketweave is another $1400.

The porcelain I laid out is already paid for. : (

We may have to just suck it up and go basketweave.

o

If you already have the porcelain then I'd use it!
With a dark grout and an ivory bath mats/rug to break up the darkness I think it will look terrific!

o

What about doing that thing where you make a "bath mat" out of the basketweave tile in front of the vanity and use the porcelain everywhere else? Best of both worlds?

o

The basket weave is nice, but I prefer the teak wood tile. Looks like a great colour, a lovely tile, plus you already have it... . From what I can tell it looks great in your bathroom. A darker grout than the pic with the similarly dark tile though.

o

I think the dark tile that you already have looks great on the floor. Using the basket weave as suggested above could be a neat idea.

o

Those basket weave dots do look really close to the large tile color, can you post a pic of them together? A basket weave mat would look very nice!

o

Do the one you know you are going to enjoy seeing every day when you walk into your bathroom. If you have the choice, pick the one you really want. From your post I get the feeling that is the basket weave. If it's only saving a few hundred dollars, and those are dollars you can afford to spend, I think you'll regret not seeing that tile you really like everyday.

o

I prefer the dark tile. It provides a nice contrast to the lighter vanity, it looks very rich. Use dark grout. I'd love to see a picture of it in daylight too.

o

use the dark tile and buy some fancy bath rugs with money saved[towels to match] .....splurge on 2 really stylish new towel rings for under the window.

o

Either will be lovely, but I vote for the dark tile (definitely with dark grout). The basketweave looks like it would be slippery in a bathroom.

o

i vote for the dark tile. it is a really nice color. i would do darker grout with it though. it is more contemporary, while the basketweave seems more traditional. so depends on which style you are going after.

o

pseudochef hit it:

"What about doing that thing where you make a "bath mat" out of the basketweave tile in front of the vanity and use the porcelain everywhere else? Best of both worlds?"

That would be beautiful.

o

I prefer the dark tile. Plus, we have basket weave in our powder room installed by the previous owner, and though not a recent install, it has not held up that well over the years. Save your money and use it, as suggested, on some nice rugs, towels and accessories.

This post was edited by sas95 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 6:29

o

I prefer the dark tile by a mile. The basket weave looks wimpish. But I like contrast and that dark tile is very pretty. I like floors that are dark sometimes as it really grounds the room IMHO. I wouldn't mess with a "rug" of tile, just adds complexity to this strong design. I'd use a real rug for the versatility.

So, you'er going to use the gorgeous dark over the blah basket weave, right? :)

o

I would use the dark tile. I love the contrast. Then a dark grout. Wouldn't mess with the basket weave inset "rug" idea. Everyone wants to stand on a rug in the bathroom anyway. So buy some cute light rugs to place over the dark tiles.

o

How do you like the dark tile in your sunroom? If you love it, then I think the combination with the basketweave tile is a great idea. (I'm not sold on the basketweave by itself). If you don't love the dark tile, don't use it!! Perhaps a different porcelain wood tile? Best, oldbat2be

o

I also like the dark tile (with dark grout) and maybe the basketweave for a mat. The basketweave is pretty, but there is the matter of all that grout to clean, and then what else you could do with $1400!

o

We didn't use it in the sunroom in the end. We used Teak wood squares, so we haven't used the dark tiles anywhere.

Of course today is super cloudy and horrible out so it's tough to get a daylight picture because it's so dark out. I'll try in a bit.

Oldbat2be - and there's the other thing! Lol. We have been considering the wood porcelain too. DH is worried that it will look like 'fake wood' and we haven't found one we love.
I was texting back and forth with a friend yesterday about hers which she loved, but they sold the house and she can't remember the brand.

Now we're out of time and still haven't made a decision. It's so hard!

Demo starts this afternoon or tomorrow. Starting to panic!

o

Another vote for the porcelain tile, looks striking with the light vanity.

o

I prefer the porcelain tile too. (Also, the basketweave looks like it would be more of a hassle to keep clean because of the smaller bits in it.)

o

Another vote for the dark tile. Great colors!

I don't get the tile-rug feature. I want a real rug in that spot.

o

Egads, $1,400 for the basketweave? It's nice, but not that nice. Use the porcelain that you have. It will look nice and you'll feel even better about using it.

o

Dark tile, dark grout. I like it. It's a little bit of drama. (and it's "free" ;-) since you've already paid for it).

I have all my planned fixtures for my old bathroom here in my new house because the plumber installed some cheaper stuff for the inspection. They walked off the job and never installed the right stuff. So I packed it up and brought it with me. It's "free" now, for my next renovation. LOL

o

I vote for the basketweave. Though (disclaimer), I generally don't like dark brown tile (or vinyl) floors, so maybe I'm biased.

o

It's a big'ish bathroom (hence the $1400).

I just don't know. He's starting demo today and I am über stressed trying to decide what to do. DH is unhelpfully leaving the decision to me. Ugh.

o

Darker tile with dark grout will be easier to maintain in a bathroom than the basketweave.

It is hard to judge by a photo but you may consider changing the wall color. It looks very orange-y to me. It will work with the darker tile you are asking about but a different (lighter) wall color will make the room lighter and will emphasize your cream counters rather than the floor.

"The basketweave tile in front of the vanity" sound intriguing.

o

The walls are orange or 'autumnal' if you want the real name. We like it and picked it to go with the limestone counter which has orange veins running through it. We could change it if we had to.

I'm worried the porcelain looks cheap.

Here are the other 2 baths we've just redone. Neither is finished, but you get the idea. Will this bathroom stand out as the 'they ran out of money' bathroom? This bathroom is the guest bathroom.

Sorry the one bathroom is small and a weird shape so getting pics is tough.

Master:

o

I don't think that non-fancy floor tile looks cheap. The colors in the porcelain are gorgeous, esp. if you want to keep the current wall color. There are a lot of threads that indicate that you don't need to spend a lot on high-end tile to get a really great look. All your floors would be different and that's not a bad thing.

o

I'd use the tile instead of the basketweave. Brown is not a color I gravitate toward, but that's a nice rich shade and I like it better than the rust color in the basketweave or the picture you thought was smilar. You have it, it's paid for, it will be easier to maintain, either way you'll probably have a rug covering a lot of the floor, and you can use that extra $1400 for other things.
Who cares what other people think! You live there, it's what you think that matters. Plus I don't think you have to beak the bank to have well coordinated cohesive and stylish spaces. I think we've all seen hideously expensive hideous design on GW and everywhere else!

o

I vote for the basket weave. Since it's the guest bathroom, I wouldn't be to worried about all the grout lines. It's also more in line with the style of your other bathrooms.
The think the porcelain tile looks to dark and I would get tired of it more quickly.
I also love your wall color!

o

This is for a bathroom? If it is a small room, I'd probably rather have a light color on the floor.

That said, I have that exact dark tile in my kitchen and dining room, with a dark grout, and I love it.

o

I like the dark tile. I don't think it looks cheap, I think it looks rich and interesting. But don't take our word for it. Use what you like. It will be there a long time.

o

Dark porcelain. It looks dramatic and rich, and will go with lots of colors, should you ever want to change the paint color.

o

I swear I don't know why this is so hard.

There is now a third option. The 'knot' wood porcelain tile from Artistic Tile.

o

This is a better shot of the bathroom we need tile for.

o

That looks more rustic. Regardless, I wouldn't use wood look tiles if I had real wood floors elsewhere on the same floor, meaning 1st, 2nd, etc story, especially if it butts up next to woord floors when you leave that bath.

o

Since you specifically asked for votes, I'm going to vote against the darker porcelain, not because it doesn't look good (it does), but because it has such a terrible and negative association to the nightmare contractor. I'd be concerned that you'd make that association every time you looked at that tile, and racing all over town while uber-pregnant, just so he could grab an unearned pre-payment. If it were me, I wouldn't want that kind of association in such a permanent installation in my home, but YMMV. How about selling the tile on Craigslist?
I vote for the "knot" wood tile which is great with your existing design and colors.

o

What if you used the dark tile, but cut it to 6x12's and then set it in a herringbone pattern? You'd be able to use the existing tile and have a visually interesting layout similar to what the basket weave would provide.

o

I like the terracotta colored square tile best, especially with that beautiful color on the wall, you could add a light colored rug to lighten it up.

o

GinaGorden - that's so funny because I suggested just that to our GC this morning. He did not look impressed with the idea. ; ) I guess it would be a lot of work, but I love herringbone design.

Smiling, if we don't use it I'll probably Craigslist. Re the negative association, I don't really have one. It was tempting to let the experience ruin the whole house for us and there are some things I still sigh over, but I'm pretty much over it. The birth of our daughter simply eclipsed him and his nonsense and made him seem small and unimportant. That's not to say I wouldn't like to clock him one if I ever saw him (lol), but ultimately we won't let him ruin anything more. So if we like it enough to use it.... we will! I just don't know if we do.

o

I have to say that cutting the porcelain may not be your best option, depending on how the cut line finishes, you may think it looks like junk. If it already has cut sharp edges it would be ok I think. If it was stone I think it would work better, because you can smooth or bevel out the cut edges to match the factory edge. Unless the stone is granite then I think that would be too hard to do a hand finished edge.

Cutting up 12x12 stone tiles is what I did with the support of a nice little algebraic equation that Mongoct gave me, to account for the grout line spacing (and his help with explaining out to lay out the floor)

My remodel that I have now completed. Here it is just after I got it grouted up, but before the caulking at the threshold:
slate tile grouted with Laticrete epoxy grout, 1part Silver Shadow and 3parts Platinum photo IMG_2831.jpg

This post was edited by enduring on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 7:40

o

After seeing the last shot, I take the wall color comment back. :-) I did not see orange veining on counter, that is why I made the comment.

Actually, after seeing the photo, I would vote very much against a light tile for the floor. With the walls and the decor, the darker tile will look much more interesting.

Your bathrooms are so different and each has a distinct design. Nobody would think 'they ran out of money', LOL. People generally don't think that way, IME. They tend to think, "I don't agree with their taste", unless it is obviously done cheaply compared to other rooms. Some $1 sq ft ceramic tile from HD looks cheap but full body porcelain tile does not.

o

Enduring, I already have that picture saved to my phone. I love it! : )
I was trying to find others but your pics have all disappeared from your posts (photobucket issue?).
Yours was what inspired me to bring up the possibility to our GC. I can't believe you did that DIY. Amazing.

I hadn't thought about the edges. Hmmm.

DH is now saying he doesn't care what we put in there. I honestly think we may just go with what we have. I don't LOVE anything apart from the flower tile which I don't think is ideal for the floor so I don't think it makes sense to spend all that money just to like it. I hope this isn't a mistake!!!

I LOVE our master bathroom and I LOVE the crema marfil hexagons we have downstairs. Maybe I'm all out of love for tile at this point! ; )

o

I prefer the larger, darker tiles you already have with your counters and wall color. Try to pick a grout that matches one of the colors in the tile to minimize the appearance of the grout lines.

o

I would consult an expert before cutting that tile for HB pattern. It may or may not be a good idea.

Your master bathroom is gorgeous, btw!

o

Thought I'd show that dark floor in a small area with white cabinets so you can see what it looks like. My still unfinished laundry area.
 photo Laundry2_zps0f2493d8.jpg

photo Laundry1_zps318f6c37.jpg

o

I think I like it even more. It has some interest and I like the varying tones.

o

Hobokenkitchen, some how I lost all of my pictures when I made a setting change on Photobucket eRRRRRG. I will be posting a reveal soon and will try to add some of the missing ones back into my reveal. Not looking forward to that photo file chore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here