Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

I need a good grout sealer

msrose
10 years ago

I was going to use Fusion Pro grout, which has a sealer in it, but they discontinued the color I wanted. They still have the color in the polyblend sanded grout, so I'll have to use it. They didn't give me the option of epoxy or urethane. When I talked to the guy who will be laying the tile, he told me he had never used the Fusion Pro, so I was a little nervous about him not knowing anything about it. For this reason, I don't won't to go out on my own and buy the epoxy/urethane. I will want to seal the grout as soon as I can, but how do I know which brands are best. Are they all the same? Anything tricks to sealing?

Comments (13)

• schicksal
    10 years ago

It's pretty straightforward. The good stuff comes in a bottle (not shoe polish applicator). It gets brushed on then buffed off a few minutes later. When I did a glass mosaic tile backsplash I just covered the whole thing and buffed it all with a rag after 10 minutes. No point trying to stay within the lines there when the pieces are all 1cm high.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, schicksal. This is my floors and I'll have to do the kitchen, laundry room, 1 bathroom and the laundry room. The fact that I'll have to work on all those grout lines twice is overwhelming. I guess I'll just have to do a little at a time. How often will I have to seal the grout? The sales guy at the tile place told me every 7 to 10 years..

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I would try to find a high performance grout (color fastness, stain, crack, mildew). Test the color first. A lot of people find the result is much lighter. It is also common for tilers to use too much water, causing color problems. Some say to use distilled. Hard to manage the water during application but at least test the grout first to see what you get.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Can you suggest brands and specific grout and/or sealer?

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I would post these questions at johnbridge .com. They are tile experts and very willing to help. I would also ask how long to wait before sealing, because I believe the grout needs to cure a while before it is sealed.
    I purchased StoneTech Bulletproof, but have not used it yet. I understand 511 is a very good one also.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Miracle brand Porous Plus is an excellent sealer, especially for kitchen applications.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Msrose, if you get an answer from the John Bridge forum, would you mind sharing it here? Thanks.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Why can't they do epoxy?

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

may_flowers - I'm going through a tile company not an individual and the only two options they have are the polybend grout and the Fusion Pro. I thought about going out on my own and buying epoxy or urethane, but my job would probably be the first time these guys have ever used either and I don't know if I want to be their guinea pig.

Romy - I'll keep you updated on what I find out.

The guys started on my floors Monday and they had to remove the previous tile from my kitchen, office, laundry room and one bathroom. It is taking them forever to get the concrete slab smooth. They did tile my office yesterday but they didn't ask what pattern I wanted. Everything is taped off, so I can't see what they're doing from my family room. I walked around the front to get at one point and he was almost done with my office but it did a regular pattern and I wanted it done in a brick pattern, so he had to start all over. I couldn't believe he didn't ask how I wanted it laid before he started. They sill have so much stuff to scrape off the rest of the floors to get it smooth. I think they're doing it all by hand. Shouldn't their be some type of machine they could use to make it faster?

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annalyn and jellytoast - Thanks for the recommendations!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Not asking is a little warning bell. I would check on their work regularly throughout the day. I also thought epoxy was the industry standard now because of its stain-resistance.

You might want to go through the tiles. For my small kitchen with V4 tiles, they opened the boxes and set out the tiles. He placed them with somewhat of a plan so we didn't end up at the last row with all the same type of tile. There was also a tile with a chip and one with a flaw in the ink-jet print, so it's good to know in advance so you can use them for under appliances or for cuts.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They went up to HD yesterday and rented a machine to chisel the stuff off the floor. He told me the company doesn't have one and this is a big company. I don't get that. I'm trying to stay on top of things to keep any other mistakes from happening. I looked at the grout bags to make sure he had the right color and he did, thank goodness.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy - There were enough sealer posts on the JB forum that I didn't need to ask the question. The two that were mentioned the most are the ones mentioned above, 511 Impregnator and 511 Porous Plus. Both are made by Miracle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle sealers