Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

double bowl sink

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

hi,

HD is throwing a free sink with the granite purchase. They are offering a double bowl, undermount, 18-gauge nickel-bearing stainless steel. 8" deep. Satin finish. 3 1/2" drain opening. Dual mount template. Mounting brackets. The brand is Revere (DH says this is the same as Elkay). Bowl sizes are 11 1/2 and 16". Minimum cabinet required is 36".

I would like to know if this is an acceptable sink. I understand that a bowl ratio of 70/30 is preferable, but I am willing to live with 60/40. Is there something else we should know? We are planning on putting the garbage under the sink, I guess the mounting brackets will not interfere with this? Is it easy to clean?

Is this a standard sink, in the sense that if in the future we need to change it, will we find another one to fit into the same granite hole?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Can you fit your biggest roasting pans and cookie sheets in the bigger bowl?

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

Last week there was a posting regarding a large single bowl sink compared to a double bowl sink, I think it would be helpful to you to find it and read it. There were about 30 comments, a large, single bowl sink won hands down.

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

Just found the thread, "Kitchen sink types - which one do you have and why", posted by wtdedula on 3/10.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your answers, I appreciate them!
    I measured and yes, I can fit my largest pots in the large bowl. I read through the single sink postings, but we are just too used to double sink...
    We'll think it some more...

Meanwhile, I would appreciate any comments on the quality of the proposed sink and how easy it is to clean. Also, if you ever have to replace the sink and the new one happens to be a different size, do you have to replace the whole granite countertops????/

• cfire
    13 years ago

Well, I can't provide any direction about the sink you described, but I can share a couple of "boy, I wish I had known that before..." items. We went with a SS double bowl sink with a low divide. That lets me have two equal bowls, but the divider is low enough to let me easily wash cookie sheets and other large items.

Here's what you might think about:

The first is the height of the counter when installing a 8" sink in granite counter tops. I was surprised to find that the first time I washed dishes the sink felt lower even though I was told the counters were the same height as our old ones.

After the fact our contractor explained that the old laminate we had was thicker than our 3 cm granite. So, we actually have counters that are 35 3/4" rather than 36" high. That doesn't sound too bad but that, in combination with the deeper bowls, makes the reach down in the bowl a bit uncomfortable. It's not terrible and doesn't have me crying, but had I known, I would have certainly raised the counters an inch or more (I'm 5'5).

The other thing you would only need to consider if there are companion accessories like a cutting board or dish drain that go with the sink that you plan to buy. In that case, the issue for you would be whether to have the sink installed with a reveal.

For example, with our sink, there happens to be a companion cutting board that can fit over one of the bowls, but to use it, the sink needs to be installed with a little reveal so that there's something for it to rest on. As you can guess, our sink wasn't installed with a reveal cause I didn't know to ask for it. (My husband isn't disappointed about this at all though cause the accessories are very pricey!)

HTH

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cfire, sorry I did not answer before but I was at a workshop... not kitchen related...:-)
    Thank you for your tips, we will think about the depth of the sink and I believe I want a small reveal...
    Sorry about your cutting boards! Best...