Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Did you put in a kitchen that wasn't WHITE?

Posted by gingerjenny (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 21:50

I hate white cabinets but it seems to be all anyone is putting in these days. Anyone going with more of a wood look? if so what did you do for your flooring? Can you post a photo of your cabinets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you put in a kitchen that wasn't WHITE?

A few years ago, they were all cherry. Now Walnut is the thing. White is morphing into gray for painted. Quarter sawn oak has its own mini-trend, as do yellow cabinets, but yellow is so in for fashion design right now, I think there will be a backlash soon.

I did bamboo. It's a yellowish beige, in inch wide stripes. :)

o

gingerjenny
Mine should be installed in about 2 weeks.
I started out wanting a light colored kitchen and ended up with a darker kitchen - I knew I did not want white.
Here is the colors so far - still finalizing other colors. (note the cabinet is the color and not the style)

Photobucket

Floor is oak with a lot of variation. I was really struggling with the cabinet color - everything looked like I was trying to match the floor and failed until I saw this look. I literally walked directly into it at the KD and said - what is that, it is perfect!

Good luck and stick to your guns!

o

I love your choice of granite. What is it?

o

Mine is still under construction but we will have red oak floors with lots of variation. Our cabinets are maple with a praline stain. Counters are new venetian gold. Backsplash will be a ivory-ish tile.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

There are plenty of GWers that go with non painted wood kitchens. My house is 24 years old and had a fairly typical 1988 kitchen. We bought the house 10 years ago and just recently updated the kitchen. I never even considered going with painted cabinets. I have posted the picture below quite a few times so some may be tired of seeing it but since you asked and I love to show it off, here it is again
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App
The cabinets are natural cherry. The floors are natural ash. The countertop is verde peacock.

o

badgergal - I never tire of looking at your beautiful kitchen!

o

My cabs are similar to a2gemini's color- a maple in what they called cattail. We have colonial cream granite(grey with streaks of brown and gold). I need to post pics but can't figure out how to do it with an iPad! Not a painted cabinet fan; I like the look of real wood.

o

I actually love white kitchens! But i thought a combination of white and dark suited our remodel better. Very happy with the style. Love dark kitchens also!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

We did a very dark almost black maple.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Everyone is not doing white (and even if they were...it doesn't matter). I did dark lyptus cabinets with a travertine looking tile floor. The following thread has some more pics of people who did something other than white.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on going from a white kitchen to a dark one

o

WOW! beautiful kitchens! :) Show them off! :)

RT williams what color are your cabinets? they are my favorite color!

i know everyone isn't doing white but it feels like it. All the kitchens on this thread have that homey feeling that i love!

o

I didn't do white either! We did a med/dark stained cherry with a med stained (existing) white floor. I love the look of the white kitchens, but my husband did not and questioned the cleaning aspect of them. Since he didn't have a lot of very strong request in the remodel, I followed his requests and we really like how it is turning out. Still a work in progress....but here is where we are so far. We love how it is looking. Doesn't seem too dark (which was a concern) even without the undercounter lighting, and cabinet lighting that has yet to be installed.
Photobucket

o

We did natural cherry cabinets and natural maple floors:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Sorry for so many pics-it's late and I got carried away.

o

Photo is from in-progress period. Ours is oak cabs, oak floor, oak woodwork, with Formica and "burnt terracotta" paint. "Color" accents are the white ceiling, white light globes, white sinks, and white appliances. We spent $ on "infrastructure" but not on luxury items. I really don't think I could live with a white kitchen. Glad you've made a query about other options.

From south wall looking north. Nov 15, 2010

o

Oh, I remember the time when all kitchens were cherry!
I felt inferior b/c I personally *hated* it, just like you *hate* white (strictly personal preference, no offense to anyone with cherry kitchens). :-)

"White is morphing into gray for painted."

LOL, mine were going to be brownish-gray (sort of latte-like) but due to my delayed remodel they are shaping up to be (slightly grayish) sage. Plllog, please don't tell me that sage is going to be the "new gray" or I'll have to quit visiting this forum. :-)

o

Our KD has SOOO tried to dissuade us from unpainted cabinets. She was looking at the millions of colors of "creamy white" (isn't actual cream, white?). I saw natural cherry and glommed on to it. KD has done a fantastic layout but on this point I, and fortunately DH, cannot be moved. (And I'm not a paint-free-wood-addict - wooden doors and trim in the house are painted, so I'm not sure what it is about the cabinets.)

This was further cemented when seeing some of the gorgeous pictures others have posted above. badgergal and leela4 - drool, drool, drool.

I do wonder whether it will "clash" with the pre-existing wood floors, but after seeing others' kitchens, and living in our rental kitchen, I'm pretty sure it will work.

I hope that you will find a combination of cabinets and floors that will work for you.

FWIW,
bean

PS - I for some reason dislike white. My wedding dress was aqua/turquoise. Talk about going against prevailing trends!

o

xc60 ,

What is your hood???

I am thinking of keeping the alcove around my cooktop and need a hood that wouldn't be visible. Your arch seems to be of the same height as mine.

TIA!

o

leela4, I very much like your room. It has a wonderful peacefulness to it, and functionality and airiness. Restraint. The wood is wonderful. It looks like the kitchen fits well into the balance of the house (pun intended).

Delighted to see someone else who used lotsa minipendants too. The natural light is something I envy. You did really good thinking.

o

We refinished our natural (but yellowed) maple cabinets darker, similar to the color in rtwilliam's earlier reply. Painting them was the back-up plan in case the refinishing job went bad. I think either would have looked good, but the wood color is what fit in with the decor in the rest of the house.

We put the floor in a couple of years ago, and it's a ceramic tile that sort of looks like travertine. With 3 big dogs, hardwood was not an option. Between their toenails (yes, I keep their nails trimmed), and dripping water after drinking, it would be hard to keep the floor looking nice. We live in southern California, so the floor being cold is only an issue for a short time each year. We appreciate having the floor cool when it's hot in the summer. I use rugs/mats in front of the sink and stove to be more comfortable when working there.

Sorry, I don't have any good pictures of the cabinets. We're not quite done yet.

o

Not a great design board but I'm using these elements with white appliances and white uppers on one side with all glass fronts with that fabric behind. All lowers will be in the Beech. I personally like a bit darker floor to ground the space but lots of combinations work and it is really a matter of preference. I like all kinds of kitchens but I have a very simple cooking style and I want a kitchen that will look comfortable not magazine worthy (honesty I'd be intimidated to be in some of the kitchens we see on here - I'd always be in a cold clammy sweat worrying about messing it up).

Photobucket

o

When we decided three months ago to give our kitchen a facelift (now up to $23,000) to correct some function problems that have been driving me crazy for years, I began to devour everything on this website. Fell in love with the OTK (didn't even know there was such a thing until then). Became totally mesmerized and somewhat obsessed by all of the truly gorgeous white kitchens here.

Then I started to really make decisions. First of all, we're keeping most of my dark cherry cabinets (with their cathedral uppers and (dare I say it) soffits). We're adding white cabinets to them.

Secondly, there's the rest of my house. Light aqua living room, yellow sun room, orange family room, dining room with big, beautiful red and orange hydrangea wallpaper. Hmmm, as I started to try to design my much desired, almost white kitchen, I realized that it just wasn't me.

I love, love, love looking at those white kitchens. But my kitchen will be like the rest of my house - full of color. Because that's what makes me happy.

I'm not doing a complete gut, my soffits will stay as will my out of date cherry cabinets. And I've decided that I won't be posting finished pictures here . . . but I'm pretty sure that I will love and appreciate my "new" kitchen that will be far, far from white.

Diane

o

No white either...

Photobucket

o

I was going to start this thread at some point! I'm glad someone did--I am also the anti-white.

Here's a shot of my non-white kitchen.

The kitchen is 99% finished

And since you wanted a floor picture, here's one of those, from before they covered it up.

Floor, after sealing

o

I ADORE white kitchens, but I knew it wouldn't fit with my somewhat Spanish style house. And it would never hold up to my large family! :)

I love wood also, so I am completely happy. I would be happy in any of the kitchens above!

This is from Christmas 2010. I couldn't resist decorating even an unfinished kitchen.

Photobucket

And no more concrete floors finally!

Photobucket

o

I really wish we could have a "LIKE" button for each post, sort of like Facebook...I just LOVE wood kitchens. I also like wood with maybe a white or distressed island. But as far as completely white, it just wouldn't work in our house.

o

Full disclosure, I love painted cabs. White ones, yellow ones, red fish, blue fish :) My favorite ones are homey and sweet and remind me of a cottage with lots of flowers growing by the front porch. I also love wood grain. My grandfather and father being hobby woodworkers have taught me to love wood grain, especially when finished in tung oil. So our kitchen is quartersawn white oak finished in a natural finish by Gemini. If I had lived in the Northwest, they would have probably been fir or adler, which I also LOVE. Cherry is also a favorite of mine, but I wanted a wood that didn't darken as much over time. I love our cabs and the way they almost glow in the light.

From Gardenweb photos

From Gardenweb photos

From Gardenweb photos

From Gardenweb photos

From Gardenweb photos

o

Not only not white, but with a definite color on a permanent surface instead of a neutral -- HORRORS!
:^) :^)

Photobucket

Photobucket

We love the warm cool combination. It feels like home. We also love wood and a white kitchen just wouldn't be us. By the way, of my non-TKO friends who have redone their kitchens almost all have gone with wood and most of the ones I see in open houses are wood. I think the white kitchen is much more common on GW than it is in US kitchens in general.

We recently redid the fireplace wall and went with wood there too. These are brand new natural cherry cabinets. Once the wood has darkened, it should match the kitchen cabinets in color. For these cabinets, my husband made walnut knobs. (The "knobs" in the picture are construction paper circles from when we were experimenting with knob position. - I really should get around to taking more pictures.

Photobucket

o
flooring

I forgot to say, our flooring is sheet Marmoleum in Caribbean. We also put it in the foyers, baths and laundry room. I ADORE it.

o

Blasphemy! How dare you not paint your cabinets white!
Although.....I painted mine a different color, but, I'm already a sinner and, when I was painting them, I really felt that if I was going to be struck down, it'd have happenned a few days earlier when I decided against granite.

(Hmmm....I think it now best I stay indoors the rest of the day.)

o

I love the homeyness of white kitchens, but knew white wasn't 'me,' and like Senator13 I grew up appreciating wood, and now have a woodworker husband. I tried to see other things in the white kitchens I liked that would bring across the same type of feel without the white paint.

We have mostly fir cabinets to match the Douglas fir interior trim/millwork we made from 3 trees we removed to build. --But I added some painted pieces to help add the old-fashioned, homey feel I wanted. The island is cream, but that's the closest thing I have to white.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: More kitchen pics

o

Maple cabinets with a dark "coffee grounds" colored cork floor. Light green walls. Some porcelain colored trim and a bit of beadboard. No uppers...shelves are in now but I don't have pictures yet. This weekend hopefully.

view from the dining room doorway

o

Rhome410, if you ever come home to find your kitchen gone?
I'd just like to thank you in advance.
I love that kitchen!

o

Another non-white kitchen here. Love the warmth of wood. My cabs are cherry. Darker door is the island and the other is the perimeter cabs. Floor will be the existing red oak. Backsplash will be Walker Zanger Ceramica Alhambra with some bronze accents. Stone is Magma Supreme granite.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Put a kitchen in my former residence that I loved and moved a year later. Looking for a similar feel with the new one.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Love seeing all these beautiful kitchens!

o

Florantha-thanks again for the kind words. we love our "non-white" kitchen. I, too, can admire them, but growing up with all walnut trim, and woodwork, and then buying this house with (dark) fir trim, and ALSO having a father who did woodworking, I just couldn't paint a cabinet. And going with the lighter cherry in addition to opening things up, has made such a difference in our space and how we use it.

o
mine is rustic cherry

I love all the white but this goes better with our house.

o

Another non-white kitchen, but I did change the island to white to break up all the wood:

Photobucket

o

We lived with white ceramic tile counters for 25 year. That was enough white for me. I wanted all of the white gone, gone, gone. We went with Cherrywood cabinets with brandy stain and chocolate glaze.

Since I don't have a decent pic of my kitchen that shows the flooring, here is a pic of it just around the corner from my kitchen where the lighting is better.

Victoria Floors Antique Collection Coique Chocolate, 7" wide planks.

Jodi-

o

We used a chiseled edge travertine, which has been great for our busy family with dogs and cats. I love wood cabinetry too and toyed with the idea of painting the center island, but I really like seeing the wood tones and so left it in it's natural maple state.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

LOL, Dando! Thanks! :-)

o

I went from this...

Photobucket

Photobucket

To this....no regrets!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

fivefootzero, what kind are yours? I like that shade.

o

I love the white kitchens with marble or soapstone counters, but that did not fit in with my PNW craftsman home and my DH wanted wood. So we did QS oak with a stain called vineyard and the island is natural QS oak. The woodwork and doors in the house is V-grain fir. The kitchen floor is 17 inch tile and the rest of the house is red birch hardwood. Everyone here has such beautiful wood kitchens.

Photobucket

o

We kept the existing dark brown paver floors, as they ran throughout the center of the house. The cabinets are Ikea Nexus yellow brown (since discontinued).

What was there before (::shudder::):

Photobucket

And now:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

senator13 i think i saw your kitchen on pinterest! :) love it it is so beautiful! I think it would go great in a craftsman style house.

Jodi in so cal can you tell me anything more about your backsplash! it is awesome

o

Thanks GingerJenny.

The backsplash is from Jeffrey Court's Chapter 9 Pietra Opus Quartz Brick Fire & Ice.

Most people just call it Fire & Ice but if you go to the Jeffrey Court site, it helps to have all the other names.

Jodi-

o

Poohpup, love your former kitchen. It must have been hard to leave after only one year of having it. Curious, what brand of cabinets and wood species were in the former kitchen?

o

Kalapointer, we were originally going to do QS oak in a Mission stain color, then when we decided to use our fir for trim, thought oak would be a bad mix with the very different undertone. So we thought our choices were fir or cherry. In an admittedly DUH moment, I never thought of using a redder stain. Your combo is so beautiful! I like our fir, but will always live a little vicariously through people like you and Senator13, and miss my intended QS oak.

Like Senator13, I also forgot to say we have Marmoleum floors... but ours are Serene Gray Click planks with creamy yellow random inserted Click squares, which I think are Barbados or Caribbean.

o

Whatever, Rhome! Living vicariously through you is what I should say. If I knew where you lived, Dando wouldn't have a shot getting her hands on your kitchen because they would be GONE :) I love your fir!

o

Well, Senator13, the problem we're having, LOL, is there are so many colors/materials/wood grains/styles/layouts to love and we get only one kitchen at a time. :-D That's why it's nice to 'live' here on the forum and be able to love our own kitchens, and everyone else's, too.

o
true

True. I hope in 20 years my husband still has "one more house in him to build", I would love doing at least one more kitchen!

o

Thanks Rhome. Your kitchen is one of my favorites. I think I would love to design one more kitchen, but DH wouldn't survive another. I can just see him rolling his eyes.

o

Our kitchen is a fraction of the size of most of these as it's in the heart of the city in a row home - still, it's not white and might give some ideas!

o

I have a white kitchen. Definite pros and cons, assuming you like the look. Con - dirt does show up on counters, etc. But the big plus (other than the overall light look/feel) is that you can use cleaning sprays that have bleach w/out fear of messing up the color of your counters!

o

Tabteacher - the countertop is Cambria Buckingham. We should have it installed by Easter (I hope)
Thanks!

o

Ours is "ginger cherry" - we love it!!

Photobucket

o

here's mine

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

No white for me either. I wanted a non-kitchen looking kitchen. Three paint colors, one stain along with three counter materials (two wood and one stone). I love my kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

o

Oh Hoboken, I adore your kitchen! Lots of gorgeous ones, but your really rings my chimes. Have the same range, and love it.
Another anti-white vote here--it was a deal breaker when we were looking at houses 7 years ago or so.

o

I demand more pics of Allisons kitchen?

o

senator13!! What is your counter top?? I love it!

o

It is laminate (Arborite, Black Grit). Here is a link detailing the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Grit

o

Hoboken, what are your cabinets? I love them. Beautiful kitchen!

Jane

o

I had a white kitchen with grey corian counters and a terra cotta tile floor in my previous house and I loved it. The new owners ripped it right out and put in a dark kitchen. This time I wanted maple slabs and a knockout counter. I know some people think the serpentine marble is too big a statement but i do love it. I am not thinking about resale. Someday, if a buyer doesn't like the counters, they can replace them 123.
from the LR
kitchen 1

o

Thank you. Plenty of beauty to look at here!
I second Dando. More pics of Allison's Kitchen Now!
Renee

o

A white kitchen just was not my home or me. I didn't want dark wood or yellow/orange either. So I tried to keep my birch cabinets light, show the wood grain and fell in love with gray stain. My counters are quartz and the flooring is laminate plank type with ceramic bead finish.

I'm still on the search for a backsplash,so for now it's just paint and ugly switch plates.... I really need to take new pictures.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I'm so glad that we get these reviews of other options once in a while. Aren't these rooms serene and inviting? Thanks for the posts, folks. Keep 'em coming!

o

We're still a work in progress but my last kitchen was painted white and I had a love/hate relationship with it so this time around we went dark. My cabinets are cherry wood with java stain, floors are santos mahogany, and delicatus brown for countertops. We haven't settled on a backsplash but I really like glass subway which you can see behind the utensil holder.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I chose not to do white in this kitchen because it gets so much light that I wanted to give your eyes a bit of a rest, verses a constant stress from the shine. It's cherry with a natural finish, ebony stained oak floors and the walls are a custom finish in amber and gold. I personally enjoy a dark space (I've embraced my dark side) so even if it wasn't filled with windows I'd have likely gone this way...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Maybe I didn't want white because this is the view most of the year:
Photobucket

Now we're getting plans put together for our victorian home and both kitchens will be predominately.....you guessed it :) White! The cottage will be distressed and soft country type white, and the main kitchen will be mostly a very clean, very white, white, as they would have been back in the day.

I think sometimes a home calls for certain things to make them work. Where a white kitchen never seemed like something I wanted in Alaska, for our Washington home a white kitchen is the only appropriate choice in my opinion. Mind you it will have other color because it's going to be an unfitted space, but still, there will be a huge wall of white some 20'x12' so when you walk in, white will be first to hit your eyes.

I love my lake kitchen in alaska, and wouldn't change it for the world, but hopefully I'll love the victorian kitchen just as much, just in a different way (much like kids LOL)

o

What pretty kitchens!

Y'all are funny! I posted a link below my kitchen picture. lol Here it is again:

Here is a link that might be useful: more kitche pictures

o

Haters! :p

o

Igloo! Haven't seen you here in forever!

o

sixty - who makes your cabinet pulls? Nice kitchen!

o

senator13,

That is the most clever U-shaped designs (where everything is inside the "U") that I've ever seen!

You just made me register - to tell you that!

Did you use a Kitchen designer?

o

igloo - TOTALLY COOL LIGHT FIXTURES!!!!

o

Hi Igloo!!!! Where ya been?

(pretend I'm waving like rhome is)

o

a2gemini My pulls are Amerock. They were a promotion with the cabinets from Lowes. I figured I would hate them and find ones that I loved and give the promotion pulls away. I spent hours on line, ordered a few samples,made myself crazy, and then when the cabinets came and the pulls arrived with them, they were just fine.

o

MareLuce
That is so sweet. Actually, my husband and I designed our whole house, kitchen included. We probably revised our house layout about 40 times before he started building it, but the kitchen layout changed VERY little during that time. I can honestly say I love our layout. It is extremely functional. It gives me plenty of countertop space, without being to spread out.

o

I did my remodel years ago. I got rid of the white laminate cabinets. I put in tile floors because I want to clean my kitchen floor with clorox & water. :0)

Viking hood, Wolf 6 burner range

Granite detail:

small

o

sixtyohno - great handle BTW!
Thanks - all of us GW are over thinkers - when I went to look at lights I mentioned that and the lighting guy, said you and 90% of the townies who shop here!
Yup - I ordered some on-line, bought a few samples, and also found the perfect handle that DM, DH, and myself all loved - problem is that they are no longer made. Grrrr (you can see them near the top of the post) - the AB hexagonal arch)
I can't tell the finish of your pulls in the picture - can you confirm?

Pooh- I didn't realize your cabinets are almost the same color as mine! Look above if you forget(the cherry with glaze) so watching closely on your backsplash decision - I am hoping you are just ahead of me.
What color WZA tile are you using? Have you decided on hardware?

Ginger - lots of choices outside of white! White is just not my personality. I need warmth to make it through the cold gray days in Michigan.

Good luck and lets see your pictures as your progress!

o

I love white kitchens and have one, but am really enjoying all the photos of beautiful non-white kitchens! I am intrigued by the trend to leave something wood in its "natural" state......upthread there are two different kitchens with a natural wood island that looks untreated, neither stain nor finish. Is there a clear varnish or poly on those surfaces?

o

White kitchens are lovely. Dark kitchens are lovely. I don't think one or the other will ever go out of style. It's all good. (Says she who has dark cabinets and white appliances)...smiles.

o

Probably the reason white cabinets are becoming the "trend" is that they are so much cheaper to manufacture than a stained wood. They can use any cheap wood and coat with a white "paint". I think the most important thing is to get what you like and to stay away from trendy looks that will make your kitchen appear dated and have people saying "hey 2012 called, they want their kitchen back!" HAHAHA!

o

kwsl, you asked about unstained woods. My "sea of oak" kitchen has lacquer-finished red oak without any stain.

I know that oak is not particularly fashionable right now but it's durable, affordable, and American made. If we had chosen a more expensive wood, there are many other things that we would have had to forgo in the budget. Plus DH loves it. I'm the one that said, "If I have to have oak, then at least don't let it be dark." Floor is same, but with layers of ACE Hdware urethane. We've heard that there will be some darkening but not severe. Cross fingers. As for the grain, well, you just have to accept it and work with it and not against it as a texture within the larger design.

There are a lot of woods shown above that I would have loved to have, more even grained ones, but not in budget and did not suit the house.

o

We bought unfinished oak from the big box store and painted them Indian Ivory (pale pale yellow Pratt & Lambert). We have a maple floor in kitchen area and oak in dining area along with a red oak staircase. Wood cabinets would have been just too much wood. I still love the painted cabinets after 22 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellie's Kitchen

o

IGLOOCHICK! Great to see you back here!

No white kitchen here, either. They're pretty for other people, but I have been in love with natural cherry for years. I love the way it changes over time. This is a not-quite-finished picture, I've since touched up the paint and am working on selecting a backsplash (still).

New Kitchen, most of it

o

I didn't know white was all the rage for kitchens now. Our kitchen-in-progress has medium cherry perimeter cabinets, a small island in toffee-colored maple, and will have a natural maple floor. The granite (crema bordeaux) goes in tomorrow.

White sounds like asking for trouble to me!

o

Thanks Allison- I took the full tour.
Renee

o

I haven't posted for months, but our renovation is done and we did not do a white kitchen - our cabinets are a dark stained walnut. The counters along the perimeter of the kitchen are bianco romano, while the island counters have labrador antique counters.

One of these days I will get around to posting pictures :)

o

Hello all :) Thank you for the nice welcome back!

Where have I been? In this silly 1890's home in which the internet will not travel above the first floor due to the thick walls and tin ceilings. Unfortunately for me, GW isn't as much fun on an ipad (the way I do the net when I get a free moment upstairs).

But I'm fixing that because I have to design a couple of kitchens and one can't do that without GW can they? :)

Dr, the "totally cool" fixtures are antiques (1913) that came out of a barn in Iowa. I purchased four of them and restored them myself so my total costs on those are around $500 if I remember right...for all, not each). I love them and am biased to love anyone who "gets" them as well LOL

Not only did I want a kitchen that was a bit different (not white, not different island color, etc) but I also wanted an eclectic kitchen that was functional. I remember back in the old days describing my kitchen and I could literally feel people backing away from their computers in fear when I said "32 different knobs, two counter tops, amber glass, wide grout, blah blah blah...." horrifying if you can't see the finished product to many, but I still sigh in pleasure when I get to go home to that kitchen.

perhaps that is also influanced by the fact that our current kitchen used daily is on the back porch.....ya think?

o

I am not doing white, but I am not doing wood either. Light pale blue cabinets with marble countertops and a dark wood floor. If it needed to go into a category though, I would say it is closer to a white kitchen than a warm wood kitchen.

o

October, can you try to post that picture (Ellie's Kitchen,) again in a bigger size?

o

We did very dark stained cherry, almost black, but translucent enough to show the grain. Bamboo flooring.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Looking through these kitchens, I realize I should have been a kitchen designer. Imagine thinking about kitchens all day and getting paid for it. I love everyone here. No, really. I don't know if I could choose one. Sigh.

o

i have light colors, hue on hue. But nothing is trying to be white.

o

Igloo,

How is your son???

I have been wondering since 2007 (?).

Have you made the "first family to" headlines?

And I don't care if you did not, just wanted to know he was OK.

o

Igloochic, "GW isn't as much fun on an Ipad".
Not to hijack the thread, but really? I've been trying to decide on one or just a new computer. Funny you said that! DH made the statement the other night, "I think you need both, I can't see you using an Ipad for your kitchen stuff, as much as you type, wouldn't it be uncomfortable?"
So, tell me more!
(Sorry, y'all)

o
Just my 2 cents...

Susie,

I have both and can tell you that an iPad is no substitute for a regular computer. So, get both!

(Sorry for "intervening", :-) )

o

Thank you eleena! DH is pretty adamant about it, I've got so many GW Kitchen pictures, layouts, and family on this one, it has nearly "stopped". :)
Now I'm wondering what an Ipad would be good for. This is basically all I do, oh, and pay bills. ugh

o

We built a home and moved in Dec 1st. My last home (of 22.5 yrs) had oak cabinets which I refinished myself with the antiqued white cabinets. In our new home I chose cherry wood cabinets with medium brown stain and mixed with an off white hood and buffet cabinets in the eating area. I love the colors!

Kitchen with bar

kitchen eating area with buffet

o

Hi
For any of you who have used stained cherry, Shiloh, please name a stain that will age to become med. a red/brown. I'm really concerned that cherry will become too dark for my small space. Thank you

o

caryscott: I'm curious about your cork colour...where is it from? name of colour?
I'm looking for a floor to match natural maple cabs and flow into my LR and down my hall... thanks.

o

downsy I really love the look of your off-white hood against your rich stained cabs. Lovely kitchen altogether and I particularly admire your floors, both the colors and the pattern,

Ours kitchen is a chocolate and yellow mix done in Dec 2011 and we're so happy with how it turned out:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Susie, cutting and pasting links is a pain in the keister. Photobucket is sketchy as it does not interface well. I love my iPad for bill pay and general surfacing...my six year old lives his for games and movies (ok I like that too) but my favorite sites (GW and the old house web) are difficult and actually almost painful to contribute to from my iPad.

If you just type and don't use pictures in your posts you will be fine. But if you like to share pretty pics...as most do on GW....the iPad does not live up to the hype.

o

Taggie and Dwonsy - what are your back splashes? Lovely kitchens!

o

Hi, New to the forum and pretty desperate for answers: I have a small kitchen with candy red Northstar appliances that I intend to keep. I have ordered cabinets from Crowne Point and am trying to figure out a non-white paint color that will work with the appliances and a carrara marble counter and island top.
I received their F&B colors and am very tempted to have the cabinets painted gray. The trouble is that many of the gray colors are muddy and have greenish undertones that will clash with the red. I looked at Downpipe, but since the kitchen is small, it may be overwhelming. I am doing bottom cabinets only with open shelving on top, if that helps any.
Anyone had experience with a gray that is not blue, green or brown in undertone. The marble is "real" gray and I would like to compliment it.

Any advice would be really welcome.

o

suibne-

I wish I could help you myself, but there are lots of people that can!

Just wanted to let you know that you'll get much more help by posting your own thread.

Good luck! :)

o

Taggie - thank you - we have similar tastes! I love your kitchen too. My floor pattern was something I came up with at the 9th hour when the original pattern wasn't going to work (hopscotch) and we had to switch to using rectangle tiles with square tiles!

a2gemini - my backsplash tiles where a combo of subways by Adex in hampton olive color and the accent over the cooktop was WZ - waterfall rain moss/oyster/onyx mosaic tile. I'm not sure what the WZ stands for but I assume its the company that makes it! I used Adex rail moulding around the mosaic detail and the small dark glass tile around the mosaic was something I picked up at Home Depot in a brown/copper color.

o

Suib....take a sample of your marble and have the gray you want color matched at a sherwin Williams. I never use the stock colors anymore but always match to what I'm seeking. It's not more expensive and they will work hard to get it right. I just bought six gallons of floor paint....each one matched to a handkerchief :).

o

I have both white and dark (espresso stained) cabinets and after a year of living with dark cabinets, I regret the decision to go with dark cabinets. The dark cabinets show such much more wear and tear, not to mention they are much harder to keep clean because they show fingerprints and dust. White is much less maintenance in my experience. Getting dark cabs was a compromise b/c my partner wanted them, and he now even regrets the decision. We've even discussed painting white them to match the rest of the kitchen.

Here's what the dark cabinets look like after just a year (and this particular cabinet does not even get daily use):
Photobucket

We'll probably have to get them re-stained before we sell -- right now I use a brown marker to hide imperfections.

o

This is probably more of a problem when you stain a naturally light colored wood dark. Our lyptus cabinets also have these kinds of knicks and but don't show quite so much. But the cabinet company gave us a touch up kit to use for this kind of thing.

In general...this is natural with wood cabinets of all kinds. Even white painted cabinets. The cabinets develop this kind of patina and sometimes, people pay extra to have it done ahead of time (i.e. special distressed finishing) :-)

o

IDK about "patina"...

I had wood cabinets in my previous house. They were in good condition when we bought it but they had yellowed or something over the years and looked like they could really use some "conditioning". However, to re-finish stained/varnished cabinets, you need to strip the previous coating (don't you?), while it is realtively easy to re-paint.

I have never used the new gel-stains though. Maybe, those do not need to be stripped?

Our current kitchen cabintes have "unpainted" interiors while the bedroom built-in dresser and all closet cabinets are painted inside and outside. The difference is striking. The (dark) wood finishes look old and dirty while all painted (white, btw) surfaces look practically brand new.

Oh, and don't forget about colors/finishes going out of style! Good luck re-staining when cherry is out and oak is in or the other way around, wink.

I know that all my cabinets will be painted from now on (though not white, probably). :-)

o

Suibne, have you seen Allison0704's kitchen island? Her's is painted a F&B Gray, (don't know the exact color) it's beautiful and doesn't appear to have a green tone. She posted a pic in this thread a little farther up.
Also, she posted a link to her kitchen and you can see much clearer pictures of the island and color.
I think it is the perfect gray.

Also, Rhome has a gray painted around her cooking area. She has posted a pic as well, don't know the brand and color, but it's very pretty too.

o

When I was a kid at home and most of the world was poor...the thing to do to make your kitchen look cleaner was to paint the cabinets white...

I wouldn't touch a white cabinet now...I don't care how "in" it might be. To me it just shouts I can't afford new so I just have to paint it white"

patti

o

This post is getting me so excited. We just pulled permits to get started on our own remodel, and I can't wait...

Like many here, we're going with cherry cabinets and soapstone counters. We're even using similar Bruck pendants over our peninsula as the ones leela4 posted.

If these pics are any indication of what we can expect, it's great to see how beautiful our new kitchen (hopefully) will be!

o

In our house we are currently selling, we did cherry cabinets with original Douglas Fir floors. The cabinets pick up on the red tone in the floor, but purposely don't match it.

Of course, for the new house we're doing white painted cabinets... Our architect says cherry is so over now. Whatever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen photo

o

I have both white and dark (espresso stained) cabinets and after a year of living with dark cabinets, I regret the decision to go with dark cabinets. The dark cabinets show such much more wear and tear, not to mention they are much harder to keep clean because they show fingerprints and dust. White is much less maintenance in my experience. Getting dark cabs was a compromise b/c my partner wanted them, and he now even regrets the decision. We've even discussed painting white them to match the rest of the kitchen.

Here's what the dark cabinets look like after just a year (and this particular cabinet does not even get daily use):
Photobucket

We'll probably have to get them re-stained before we sell -- right now I use a brown marker to hide imperfections.

o
RE: Did you put in a kitchen that wasn't WHITE? whoops

sorry about the double post, folks. my toddler was banging on my keyboard and apparently clicked refresh.

o

lisa I love your current kitchen. I guess i'm "out" it is beautiful!

o

Just catching up with this thread. When we built our house 19 years ago, complete with builder grade oak cabinets, I hoped someday I would get my dream kitchen with cherry cabinets. It took 16 years to finally get them. Never considered anything different.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

My kitchen won't be white--we are going for a Spanish style, so its pretty colorful. Just now putting order in for cabinets that will ultimately be stained very dark--they are clear alder. My granite will be red, prep and main sinks will be cobalt blue, island will be distressed cobalt blue with a wood top. The backsplash is a colorful hand painted 8x8 cement tile on one wall and a neutral on the other. The floors are stained concrete. Hopefully, when it all comes together it will be a fun, happy room and I will definitely put up some pictures. Find a kitchen that makes you happy and reflects your personality. Also, here in the Dallas area most new builds are stained, knotty alder cabinets.

o

martina2

Light colour is Golden Beach (dark is Black Beach) from a company called Forna out of Richmond BC. I'm using a glued down tile but they also produce floating floors. Tile is pre-finished but then you top coat that. They don't ship their finishing products certain places in winter so I haven't ordered yet and still have to consider if it will be better to get the "glue" and poly from them or if I should just substitute something I can acquire locally. Samples are free and you really cannot tell what the true colour is from the website images.

Here is a link that might be useful: on-line vendor

o

nhbaskets: I LOVE your corner stovetop and hood! I have been going through photos and trying to decide where to place ours as I wasn't sure how well the corner would work, but you've just shown me it will be great!

I actually LOVE white kitchens, or at least I LOVE looking at photos of other people's white kitchens, somehow I just can't picture them in my new contemporary open space kitchen, dining, & great room. I want my kitchen to blend in with the rest of my furniture, so I'm going to go with dark espresso coloured cabinets.

As an aside, we remodeled our current kitchen to dark espresso cabinets about three years ago and they have held up quite well! I don't have the marks that pipdog shows, and my cabinets are actually cheap no-name cabinets I bought from a local supplier that brings them over from China.

o

Thanks a2gemini. My backsplash is metallic glass subway from Saltillo Imports (http://www.saltillo-tiles.com/products/tile/glass-mosaics/metallic-glass).

Fell in love with it when I saw it in Thynes' beautiful white kitchen, ironically. :) Linking to Thynes' reveal here. Just gorgeous: Thynes kitchen reveal thread).

o

Thanks Taggie - I am in love - just went to the website. I am sure I will come off my high when I hear the pricing...
Thanks!!

o

I put in a cherry kitchen 3 years ago (after MUCH lurking on GW). I love it!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

We went dark, too:
Photobucket

And Kiffgirl, I never tire of seeing your kitchen!

o

But wood is "dated" and white is "timeless". All of you blind fools have been misled! Your kitchens are dated and the clock is ticking.
Casey

o

Roulie, that's an attractive kitchen! Very serene, very cohesive.

o

Yes and no. My cabinets have been off-white since 1994, and when I replaced one run of cabinets with a vintage, butler's pantry-style, I painted it 'Adobe White' because that seems more traditional. On the other side of the kitchen I have a mix of off-white(old) and green(new) painted cabs. The perimeter counter tops are black(ish). The walls are also painted 'Adobe White,' because the kitchen is small and has no window--it borrows light and views from rooms on either side. There is a wall of shallow closets/cabinets in an adjoining room, visible from the kitchen, with the doors painted off-white, so I'm hoping it all flows.

I still think of it as a white kitchen, though I doubt that OTK owners would. I love white kitchens, but for me, the mix works better. All the pics above are beautiful, and I can certainly appreciate a craftsman-style kitchen with rich colors and natural elements--circuspeanut's, cotehele's, and sayde's are a few that come to mind.

o

copper apron front sink with copper back splash in luxury kitchen

I love white kitchens, but had to go with cherry because of the theme of the house. We were creating a Tuscan Villa, so we felt this was the best choice for us.

o

I can't contribute much, barely having a kitchen, but I know I prefer painted cabs.

I spent years looking at wood. And door styles. Nothing twirled my world, so I just didn't invest.

Then.... I realized I always leaned towards the antiqued white/cream cabinets. Epiphany!

Then.... about 2 years ago I saw a vanity pic with beaded inset cabs. Doors were simple slabs. Lightening struck again. THAT is the door style I want.

In the meanwhile, though, I've built my kitchen and painted it. The bottom cabs, twice, so that's about 6 coats. I'm now just collecting my beaded inset cabs from any source I can, and will paint them all when I'm really finished. [whisper] I thought I was.

Interestingly enough, I've yet to see beaded inset that isn't a shade of white!

I have noticed that the wood cabinets I am even remotely drawn to are the extremely dark ones. I am putting some in my MBR with an Emperador Dark countertop I have on "layaway".
I think it's because I can't see the grain and they look painted!

If I chose a lighter color, it would definitely be that amazing grey/brown that looks like aged barn wood or grey with milk paint on it. Like this: Ikea grey. Pottery Barn had an entire catalogue a year or two ago with everything faux finished in antiqued grey. Of course, knowing how badly monitors resolve colors, check your Ikea catalogue. Admit it. I know you've got one! :)

o

Patti- Yes, people did paint their cabinets, when they couldn't afford new ones...and either wanted a change or to lighten things up a bit. That's probably one reason I like painted cabinets. They feel more 'homey' in my opinion and go so well, with the vintage style, I like :)

That being said, wood cabinets are beautiful! Look at all the examples, on this post. And then there's Anne's 1850's kitchen which is another wonderful example. I still like painted, but that is a lovely kitchen.

o

I love dark kitchens. White not useful for me.

o

I had painted off white cabinets so when we renovated I decided to go with wood. Love the look in our new addition.

o

jstehl, what are the details of your kitchen. If I ever were to go wood (White kitchen here!) in the future in my new condo this is the color that I like. What tiles and granite did you use?

o

Drachiele, I recognize your kitchen from one of my kitchen magazines I vividly remember that sink and wall-faucet. Beautiful!

In fact, I love all the kitchens posted here!

o

ellendi, Thank you for your response. The cabinets are Kraftmaid maple cabinets and the color is cinnamon. I was very pleased. The granite is St. Cecelia. It has some gold in it. The tiles are just a Travertine and then I picked out a mosaic glass tile that 3 shades that were in the granite. We then spaced the glass tiles throughout the backsplash. My tile guy really liked the challenge. Just about every single tile had a cut in it. I'm very pleased with how it all came out. We were doing a large remodel with an addition with family room, laundry room and enlarged bathroom. There wasn't a spot in the whole house that was not touched. My married sons and families came over every Sunday even during demo but tonight and tomorrow will be the first entertaining that I will be doing with friends. No one has seen it except for pictures online. I think they will be surprised to see all of the changes. Let me know if you have any other questions.

o

suibne, check out Lamp Room Gray by F&B. I was looking for the same kind of "clean" gray that you are and this fit the bill perfectly. It was slightly darker than I wanted, but having found the perfect shade I was hesitant to lighten it with white.

o

florantha, I for one LOVE your kitchen. I think oak gets knocked unfairly, largely because there are so many plain oak boxes slapped up in crappy housing developments. Oak is warm, durable, and goes with anything. And depending on what you put around it, it doesn't have to look dated.

o

Here are some pictures of ours. The cabinets are quarter sawn oak w/ a mid to dark stain. I am still working to finish all the cabinets, but have the pantry wall and hood wall done. We are thinking of doing the island white. This was not built out of oak, but paint grade maple.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: Did you put in a kitchen that wasn't WHITE? Better Pixs

Here are some pictures of ours. The cabinets are quarter sawn oak w/ a mid to dark stain. I am still working to finish all the cabinets, but have the pantry wall and hood wall done. We are thinking of doing the island white. This was not built out of oak, but paint grade maple.

My wife didn't like the pictures I posted, so she wanted me to post these.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Late to the party here, but here's our not-white kitchen. The floor is Eco Timber bamboo in toffee:

o

FiveZs your cabinets are gorgeous (as are all these wood cabinets, I've become a total convert after coming here certain that I wanted a white kitchen.) Are they custom?

o

I agree. They are all gorgeous. But , I love FiveZs.

More pictures please.

o

Here is a sneak peak at our kitchen in progress. Note the color differences are complements of iPhone.
Brookstone Autumn Cherry with Black glaze

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Note the fridge cabinet is not installed and the microwave goes away!!

My favorite part is the "caves" in the sunroom - I only posted one - but there is a bench between - one for each of us. It has a pull-out cutting board to use as a work surface and power inside to charge the toys!

o

Thanks. They are custom. I will take some more pix and post them. This has been a long project, but the outcome has been well worth it.

o

Thanks jstehl for the details,

o

Didn't they have a limit of 150 posts?

o

Thanks jstehl for the details of your gorgeous kitchen. I also love all of the matching GE Caf� appliances. I have the Ge Caf� Gas range and I love the function of it and the looks of it. If I was taller, I would have gotten the microwave also but I have problems reaching in the bottom cabinets and I do not want to spill anything on myself. I love the cabinets so much. what is the style door you have? I keep going back and forth between an off-white kitchen and a kitchen with cabinets the color of yours that would look nice with the Brazilian Cherry floors in my other room and the light tiles I chose for the kitchen. I also love your counters, light wood floors for contrast, hardware chosen, backsplash and faucet. Thank you so much for sharing. Are these cabinets frame-less? I love the full overlay look. Do your cabinets go up to the ceiling or is there crown molding on top to the ceiling or not?

o

lynn2006, thank you for the comments about my kitchen. The door style is Kraftmaid Huntington maple in Cinnamon. I had no problems at all with Kraftmaid. If at some point they are showing age, I will paint them then. That is what I did with my previous cabinets. The cabinets have crown molding at the top. I love not having the wasted space. With just a little stepstool I am able to get to top shelf. My goal was function and yesterday I had my first big party and everything went well. Even my husband says cleanup is easy because everything has a place. I attached a link to additional pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here