Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marmoreus_gw

Please show me your honed/matte countertops

marmoreus
16 years ago

I am experiencing kitchen countertop angst and I need some help and inspiration. My cabinets will be painted white (off-white) and floors will be darker wood (walnut or something else stained dark.)

As far as countertops go, I know that I want more of a matte finish. I love soapstone but it's hard to come by in my area and I worry about inexperienced fabricators. But if not soapstone, I think I want something dark and honed for the perimeter. For our island, which may be painted or stained different than the cabinets, I am thinking maybe something lighter also with a honed finish. I don't think I can baby marble enough to have marble and my husband will not go for wood so that eliminates a few options.

But on to my request... I'd love to see your honed/antiqued countertops (granite, quartz, others?) all in one spot to help me with this decision process.

Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• marmoreus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is lovely, casey3!

So did your slabs come in that finish or did your fabricator do it? Did they offer it or did you request it? I'm just wondering if that finish is something most fabricators would know about.

Thanks for your help!

• needanap
    16 years ago

Check out Sharb's gorgeous kitchen on the FKB. She has a light colored honed Caesarstone on her island which looks like limestone. Similar cabinet and floor color to yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharb's fabulous kitchen

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

I went with black Paperstone countertops--actually a recycled paper product. It has a nice matte finish, almost a leather-y looking quality, and seems a little warmer than stone countertops. Might also want to look at Richlite, a similar product.
    Here is a picture (ignore my pretend backsplash!)
    {{!gwi}}

• casey3
    16 years ago

The granite showroom showed it that way so it must be the way it comes.

We really like soapstone (but needed something a bit more afforable) and liked Black Pearl and some others, but in the end didn't want anything w/ any sparkle to it.
    We liked AB Honed we'd seen but thought this had a twist to it that would look great (it does!) FYI though, it does show crumbs etc. just like AB Honed (similar to a black car) so if you're into having really clean looking counters all the time, might not be the best choice.

• marmoreus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow--thanks for your responses!

Sharb's kitchen IS gorgeous and I do love the limestone look of her honed quartz.

klb-- I remember researching the recycled paper countertops awhile back and love the concept. They look beautiful in your kitchen! How are they holding up for you durability-wise? How easily do they scratch?

casey3--Thanks for your help. I'll have to see if I can find some AB in that finish.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have stumbled upon this forum just as we are beginning to build a house. Such an amazing resource!

• deegw
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my honed Virginia Mist. I've posted this picture multiple times but I guess they got lost when the website was upgrading.

I've had them over over six months. I still love them but I have noticed at close examination at certain angles some faint surface scratches and some very minor pitting. It is definitely not noticeable unless you look closely.

They are very easy to take care of - maybe too easy because it's hard to see the mess. I have sealed them once but sealing is really very easy and not a big deal. I would definitely choose the counter again.

{{!gwi}}

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

marm
    congrats on your remodel

just searched to find some good shots that will give you good idea

here's a pic when we were still deciding
    granite is "Victoria Classico" similiar to a verde butterfly

I took lots of time deciding - Many samples of stone -including soapstone (fr. Vt) - this stone held up to all the tests we threw at it - oil, vinegar, wine, mustard, ketchup, lemon AND knives - the others failed in some fashion - including the soapstone which held the red wine stain
    I knew I wanted honed - this stone is very forgiving - does not require babying or high maintenance - no fingerprinting etc... which does happen w/some dkr honed stone
    - I would suggest getting samples, request they hone the stone you are interested in - bring it home & put it w/your pallette
    - BTW - I would do same w/your hardwood flooring - test samples of stains - I Love dk stained hw - however the dkr the stain the more things show - dust bunnies, crumbs, scratches

good luck w/your remodel

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

marmoreus--my Paperstone is holding up very well, but I am a pretty careful user--don't cut directly on the countertops, etc. If I look closely, I do have some minor scratches, but they really aren't noticable unless you are inspecting the surface. My countertops have been installed probably around 18 months at this point--and I'm still happy with them! Its definitely worth searching out an installation to really get a sense of what the material looks like and how it wears---those little 2" samples aren't very good representations of the full size product. (In my area, several of the local appliance stores have Richlite or Paperstone installed in their sample kitchens--you might be able to see samples there?)

Good luck in your search!

• marmoreus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, jejvtr. I haven't seen that granite color before. It is very pretty. Thanks for the suggestion about getting different samples in a honed finish to test them out--that's a very good idea.

Thanks for answering my question, klb. Definitely helps to hear from those who have lived with a certain type of counter. Sounds like your Paperstone is holding up really well. I'll definitely look around to see if I can see it installed up close and in person.

Thanks again!

• nightowlrn
    16 years ago

Cambrian Black Antique. LOVE IT

• marmoreus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, nightowlrn. Those look great! Any fingerprints/oily marks or other issues with your antiqued Cambrian Black? Does it feel pretty smooth or a bit textured?

Anybody else have pics of lighter honed countertops?

Many thanks!

• alexamd
    16 years ago

Here is my Antique Nordic Black. The pictures make it seem lighter than it is. In person it appears blacker.

• nightowlrn
    16 years ago

Fingerprints - No
    Hardiness - So far, no problems. The sample I had withstood attempts to scratch it with nails, screwdrivers, etc. And, it passed the stain test easily. I did not have it sealed, because I was advised it was fine without the sealer and the sealer would make it shiney.
    Bumpy - No, but it certainly isn't as slick as polished granite. I would compare it to running your hand over a leather coat. Food and crumbs are no more difficult to wipe up off the Cambrian than off my island, which is polished Crema Bordeaux.
    Oil - I have to wipe up the countertop after I cook something oily, or else it would show. But, I think that is true of any dark top.

If you do a search for Cambrian, you will find other people who are pleased with this stone as well.

Good luck in your hunt!

I love that it looks "comfortable." I love that my undercabinet lighting doesn't cause a glare on it; it just makes it glow.

• california_dreamer
    16 years ago

Here's my pietra de cardoso (schist). It has a matte finish and subtle movement. I originally wanted soapstone but for a variety of reasons went with this as my second choice. I'm happy with it so far.
    It doesn't show any fingerprints etc.

And a wider shot so you can see the contrast with the island:

• marmoreus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone! I will be referring back to this thread for awhile, I think.

deee---I forgot to comment on your honed Virginia Mist. It looks quite a bit like soapstone. I like it a lot!

alexamd--I like your counters as well. They look great with your cabinets!

nightowlrn--Thanks for the reply. Your answers are encouraging.

california_dreamer--I love that schist! Your granite on your island is beautiful also. I wonder if schist is carried by any of the stores around here. I haven't come across it yet but I'll have to look for it specifically.

I know I sound like a broken record, but thank you, thank you to you all!