Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willtv_gw

Finally Finished Black & White Kitchen

willtv
12 years ago

OK, so here a few shots of our new Black & White kitchen. It was largely completed at the end of October 2010 but I finally got around to finishing the touch up last week.

I've spent more than a little time lurking and learning from many of you on this forum as well as the appliance and lighting forums.

So thanks to all of you.

A little background; We've lived in this house for 24 years. It is an English Cottage style house built in 1923 out of structural stone. My guess is the kitchen was last re-done in the late '60s or early '70s. For a good laugh, check out the before and after link at the bottom.

A few details:

Cabinets: Custom by Knight Kitchens

Range: Bluestar 36" 6 Burner

Fridge: Samsung CD French Door

Dishwasher: KA

Range Hood: Proline 900 CFM

Sink & Faucet: Blanco

Countertop: Blue In The Night Granite

Floor: Montauk Black Slate

Lighting: 3" Recessed Cans MR16 Halogen

Window Wall

Pantry Entrance

Pantry

Fridge Wall

Range Wall

Floor

Window Wall II

Range Wall II

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

If you'd like to see the before and after (and you really should) here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before & After Black & White Kitchen

Comments (59)

• livefromtexas
    12 years ago

Very nice job! I love the floor. What is that really flat cabinet to the right of the sink? And what is the paint color? Thanks!

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Looks great!!! You had such a tricky footprint to work within and it looks so nice.

Love the Montauk slate--you must have a very even subfloor for those huge tiles...we had to go with smaller ones. )-8

LOVE the shiny black Bluestar!!! It is like a super-schnazzy high-performance sportscar in your kitchen!!!

Enjoy!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Sleek,classy and functional. Very nice.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Great job! I love what you've done and how you have modernized yet kept everything true to the house. I'm in love with gray these days, so I love you choice. I also recognize how easy it with be to repaint in the future when you want a color change. That has been one of my goals in designing my own new kitchen.

Nancy

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your kitchen reads perky and cheerful to me. I love how you improved the layout as well as the look.
    This is the kind of kitchen that makes one smile and feel welcome. Even the pantry area is pretty!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

like how the bottom of the windows is on the same plane as the bottom of the cabs-makes a very clean look for a small space/wise move.Good Job-so much appeal.

• nini804
    12 years ago

Ohhhhh.....I love it!! I love your color scheme, it makes me feel happy to look at it. So clean and bright! You did a great job! :)

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love how you stayed true to the original home while making your space infinitely more functional and attractive. I love your material choices (especially the floor!). Congratulations on your stunning new kitchen.

• noellabelle
    12 years ago

adorable kitchen - congrats!

• mskitchen
    12 years ago

You have an absolutely beautiful kitchen, enjoy it!

• neesie
    12 years ago

You must love your home to be there 24 years! Now you'll be loving your kitchen as well. Great job!

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

I'm not normally a fan of all-B&W kitchens, but yours is great! I love the funky bold backsplash! I need to show this to my MIL; she has a small B&W kitchen, wants to update it, and would love yours.

What's that neat inset cabinet to the right? How deep is it and what's it for?

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all of your kind words.

I can't tell you how big an improvement this design is over the old kitchen. Having used the space for a few months, I have to say that there isn't anything I'd substantially change.

Here are some answers to your questions.

The space is small. The kitchen is 8x12 and the pantry area is 4x8. The archway between the two is about 18" deep.

The cabinets are painted BM Gardenia. The walls are a 50/50 mix of BM Metallic Silver and Feather Gray in an eggshell finish.

The cabinet to the right of the sink is only about 6" deep. We use it primarily as a spice cabinet. It existed in the old kitchen and we had it rebuilt for the reno. There is a similar cabinet on the right hand wall of the pantry.

The unit below the recessed pantry cabinet is a "sunrad" steam radiator. There is another recessed radiator in the wall to the left of the fridge. This radiator actually fits into a 2x4 wall. When you've got a space this small you have to use it all.

The kitchen backsplash is Daltile Rittenhouse Square 3x6 subway tile. In the pantry, beadboard painted to match the cabinets.

The undercabinet lights are LED from Emeralight.

BLFENTON, I agree that the bare bulbs make a fashion statement. I just can't figure out what fashion. We also love the big floor tiles. It tends to enlarge the room and as far as I'm concerned, the fewer grout lines the better.

SHANGHIMOM, The tiles, which are 24x24, are set in mud. The mud's thickness varies between 1 and 3 inches. The only thing in my house that is level is the new floor.

KRISTINEKR, The granite gets wiped down weekly with a granite cleaner and also daily with just a damp cloth whenever we're cooking. Happily, it is a type of granite that doesn't need to be sealed.

IRONCOOK & SHANGHIMOM, I love the Bluestar.

TRAILRUNNER, Here's a link to some other shots of the house.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31684028@N07/sets/72157626263035039/show/

Thanks again to all of you.

If you have any more questions feel free.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Oh what a beautiful home ! I love your simple furnishings and the uncluttered look. The sunshine into the DR is so pretty. The arched doorways. What brand it the leather chair/ottoman ? Really comfy looking.

Well now I would love to see more :) Outside and in LOL. I will link the slideshow for others. Thank you . c

Here is a link that might be useful: slide show to stone cottage photos

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the compliment.
    The chair, ottoman and matching sofa are Thomasville. They're due for either replacement or reupholstery.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

How far are you >>>LOL....DH would love them. I can trade lots of home made bread ....you have a pretty home. c

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

I'm sure this was a challenging space to work with and you made such a great use of your constraints to actually create something so beautiful. Love your pantry! Enjoy.

• rjr220
    12 years ago

Wow! You've done such a wonderful job of upgrading the kitchen, yet keeping true to the style of your house. Such a beautiful job! Congrats!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

wow - that looks fabulous! Especially LOVE your floor - thanks for sharing. Enjoy that wonderful new space!

• ironcook
    12 years ago

willtv... your home is absolutely wonderful! so much charm. just love it. :)

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Lovely home and terrific kitchen! I can definitely picture doing some serious cooking and baking in that kitchen. The improvement in your layout is amazing! The slate floor and your range are perfect! Your kitchen is so clean and bright, and your pantry is superb! Enjoy!

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like that a lot. And you sure NEEDED it! Sure you won't miss the mustard range? :)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I can't believe you gave up that charming wallpaper! The range and fridge coordinated so well. Snort.

The new space is fabulous, and I especially love the floor, it does really open the space up. What a terrific makeover and great use of space.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love it all! The black appliances are perfect, and the backsplash is awesome. Cool that you went with a blue vs. black granite.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Great Transformation. Subltle, elegant and fun!!!

This is a perfect transformation without taking away from
    the home. I love your simple palette with the granite.
    You would never know the blue in the night could come
    off so fantastic. When I first read the post I was thinking
    the old stark white and black and am thrilled I popped
    in to see that this title should be called
    Gorgeous Transformation
    because (Finished Black and White) does not do your
    work of art justice. You must be a decorator because you
    have a subtle talent that shows volumes. I like the simple
    cabinetry with the contemporaruy flashes of black and
    even delicate molding around the window add a touch of class
    without being overly dramatic.
    Subltle, elegant and fun!!!

Truly a great kitchen renovation.
    ~boxer

Ps. I am going to borrow your paint recipe.
    mettalic silver and feather gray.

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again,

fori & mabeldingeldine, I tried to donate the old range and fridge to the Smithsonian but they wouldn't take them. If you think the old wallpaper was bad, here's a shot of a pattern I found under a few layers of paint.

boxer, Nope. Not a decorator. Just a guy with an irrational fear of color. (comedic pause) Just kidding. We must have looked at 10 different grays but just couldn't find the "right" one. Metallic silver was too light and feather gray too dark and a little too blue. So we thought, what the hell, and had our local BM dealer mix up a 50/50 batch.

Bingo!!

• jakkom
    12 years ago

I almost didn't look at this thread, because I'm one of those who is a little tired of black and white kitchens. But yours is amazing. To have kept within the original footprint yet so imaginatively updated the layout is genius, pure and simple.

I love your floor but also your backsplash. It is a striking design yet doesn't overwhelm the space.

It's a well-balanced design visually. I don't think I've ever seen anything better done here, out of the many kitchens posted on GW. Bigger, fancier, more 'fashion of the moment' - yes. But I'd rather have yours...and I don't say about many kitchens besides my own.

Congratulations on a job very well done!

• Fori
    12 years ago

That old wallpaper actually isn't too bad! :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

That's just amazing! Congratulations, and many years of happy cooking ahead in your lovely new space. Love the pantry, floor, and the Bluestar!

Becky

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fori, I think I know where you can still get that pattern if your interested :)

jkom51 & Becky, Thanks. The project came out better than even we thought it would.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

That is a wonderful transformation! So airy and fresh looking! I love your pantry!

What a great kitchen! I bet you are enjoying cooking up a storm in it!

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shelayne , Thanks. We like the pantry too. It practcally doubles our storage space and gives us about 30% more counterspace. If you'll look at the before and after link above, you'll see that the pantry exited before. Since the space is only 4' wide, the new layout was improved by narrowing the left side base cabinets to 17" to make them more accessable.

• zip11530
    12 years ago

I'm just in the very beginning stages of thinking about a kitchen remodel and thinking black & white.
    This one looks great.
    Does it function as well as it looks?

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zip, This layout is a vast improvement over the old one. I know that many people think they want one of those huge football field size kitchens that they publish in designer magazines. Given the constraints of my home, that was never going to be an option for me. While I'd like the space to be a little larger than it is, what I've learned is that with good planning a small space works much more efficiently. The thing I like best about this layout is that within four or five steps I'm invariabley just where I need to be. It's a great space to work in.

• alouwomack
    12 years ago

Willtv,

You're kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! I'm wondering if you could provide more information about the subway tile. What brand is it? And to the right of the sink where the tile stops...did you use some sort of cap?

Congrats again on an awesome kitchen!

--Amber

• aliris19
    12 years ago

OK, I love your new kitchen. And I can see why you "needed a reno" ... but I actually loved your old one too. Sorry; I just do! I love the wallpaper and the way you had all the pans hung out (I had in my old kitchen too only the guys who demo'd mine *threw away* the hanging racks. What were they thinking??).

I don't mean to diminish the new; it's wonderful too. I guess style just shows out, new or old. Congrats on the rejuvenation without sacrificing the spirit of the old.

• kadydid
    12 years ago

That is a, too cute kitchen! I love it, great job!

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to have been gone for a while but I neglected to check the box that alerts me when someone posts a follow up comment. And apparently if you don't check the box when you originally post, you can't do it later.

In any event thanks again for your kind words.

alouwomack, The tiles are Daltile Rittenhouse Square 3x6 subways. They make edge pieces with bullnose along either the 6" edge or the 3" edge or both. So that's what we used.

aliris19, While it's hard to see in the picture, the image on the wallpaper in the old kitchen was bottle caps. It was OK for the room it was in but, clearly the old kitchen had seen better days. I do miss the pots & pans hanging on the wall but with the new configuration there just wasn't going to be enough wall space. They now live in various cabinets and drawers. Not as convenient but a cleaner look. If you're on Long Island and you still want racks, I have the old ones.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Willtv, I love your kitchen so much! I love the black and white theme, I love your backsplash two toned look, I love the big X tiles, I love your kitchen range, I love the halogen very white light in the room showing off the colors accurately, I just love the overall look so much! The transformation was amazing! I love how cute your cottage home is with the beautiful stone exterior. Thank you so much for sharing.

• willtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn, Thanks for your kind words.
    It's been almost a year since the kitchen was completed and having used it for this long I have to say there's nothing I'd substantially change.
    It's so much more efficient than the old kitchen and has so much more storage space that I actually have 3 empty cabinets.
    Although not for long I'm sure.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Willtv, looking again at your kitchen (I know I already replied but since I also have a small kitchen, I find your kitchen to be fascinating and just gorgeous making good use of space. It is so beautiful the way you tied everything together perfectly.).

Your kitchen is one of my favorites! I really love the overall look so much! I would have never dreamed such big 24 X 24 tiles would look so amazing! There is not one thing I dislike about your kitchen. I am now thinking of Halogen lighting after seeing your kitchen since changing my bulbs to the bright white light like halogens have in my ugly Fluorescent fixture that is so outdated, gave me the look that my neighbors have with the new tiles since they have track lighting using Halogen lights. That counter is so amazing and your kitchen cabinets are so perfect going up to the ceiling. The grout compliments the tiles and allows you to see the design you did with them and how beautiful and big they are. I also like how efficient it is and probably a joy to cook in! That backsplash is so amazing to me really tying in your whole theme and I love how the cabinets go up to the ceiling with the crown molding on top. I wish I had those two big windows over my sink. That is one thing I regret that I was not patient and waited until an end unit in a good location in my townhouse complex came available since I would like to have more lighting. But I fell in love with the layout of the unit I bought, the location, the fenced in backyard, the permanent woods (I live in the preserved wetlands and the town owns the woods and will never build on them) in back of my fence for privacy, and wonderful quiet neighbors.

I also had to move or sign a new lease where I was renting at a ridiculous amount I was paying since rents are so high where I live. My utilities also were so high were I was living since it was like living in a two floor tiny condo paying the water and sewer bill with a minimum fee, an electric bill and a gas bill since nothing was included in the high rent.

But I love owning a place and getting to install the appliances that make my life easier that I enjoy so much, decorating it to be my taste and having a garage.

• zip11530
    11 years ago

Could you provide me some details on your cabinets?
    Did you install any susans, roll outs, pull outs?
    And if so, do you like them?
    Thanks.

• willtv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is an old thread.
    Trying to see if the reviving thing works.

• willtv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And again.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

OK, Wilty, I'll make it work. Didn't think I could ever like a BW kitchen. You proved me wrong. I could be happy in this kitchen.
    Nicely done.
    Sandra

• willtv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sandra, Thanks.
    I was just checking to see if the new GW thread revival feature was operable.

Yea! It Works!

Also, thanks for the compliment.
    It's been almost 2 years and we still love our "new" kitchen.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Hey Willtv, since we have you on the GW:
    1) what grout color did you use on your floor?
    2) What color do your walls suggest, as you look at them? I know its a mix of Metallic Silver and Feather Gray. It looks lavender on my screen. I just was wondering.

• willtv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The grout for the floor is Polylend brand Pewter.
    It is actually much lighter in real life than it is on the color chip on the package.
    The walls, in real life, are a medium grey/blue.
    Sometimes more blue than grey and sometimes more grey than blue depending on lighting conditions.

• mama2c
    11 years ago

Willtv, how do you like living with the montauk black slate? We had requested a black slate sample a while back and were not happy with the way grease splatters and such seemed to stain it. Have you noticed that? Did you seal it or anything? Where did you purchase it? Thanks so much!

• willtv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mama2c, We purchased ours from ask4roca.com.
    They had a great price, including shipping. (from CA to NY)
    Before placing the full order, we sent to them for a sample.
    Unsealed, it didn't stain very much.
    After installation, we applied 4 coats of sealer.
    Yeah. I know it's overkill, but it's been almost 2 years and to date, no stains of any kind, and we use our kitchen extensively.
    Whomever you get your slate from, be aware of slate's propensity to delaminate.
    For some reason, slate from Brazil is less prone to this problem.
    So try to find out the origin of your slate.
    If you need more info feel free to contact me via email.